2017 Post Office Street
Galveston, TX 77550Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saltwatergrill.net/
- Phone: (409) 762-3474
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Chris Lopez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Saltwater Grill has a full catering department with many locations around town to choose from.
- Private Party Facilities: Large parties are always welcome. We have a private room available for up to 16 people with other quiet areas in the restaurant available for larger groups.
- Private Party Contact: Danny Hart 4097623474
A word from Saltwater Grill
The Saltwater Grill is located just steps away from The Grand 1894 Opera House. Featuring an array of tantalizing fresh-from-the-grill and fresh-from-the-kettle seafood specialties, Saltwater Grill is in a class of its own when it comes to quality and attention to detail.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Saltwater Grill - Best Restaurants in Galveston ›
Saltwater Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (21)good for groups (18)hot spot (11)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (8)romantic (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Excellent service and food!TrainsDined on 11/22/2014We made last minute reservations on line without any problem. Our waiter Byron S. was OUTSTANDING - very cordial, professional and accommodating. The food, one of the specials that evening, was delicious. Location was perfect since we were going to the Opera House across the street. A perfect evening! Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for service!MimiDined on 11/14/2014Service always good. I ordered wrong this time. Don't get the BBQ redfish. Not my favorite. Wish I had ordered the red snapper special. Next time! I will be back soon. A great place to dine before the theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Concert DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/12/2014We had dinner here for the first time before the Lyle Lovett concert at the 1894. The service was good and they were very aware about timing and making sure that we were done in time to make the show. My husband had the cipiono and it was very good. I had the lobster risotto dinner and while it was good, I don't think it was worth $25. I would go back for sure, but would probably order something different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SassyDined on 11/12/2014I go the filet mignon, and it was amazing. Very enjoyable meal, great service. I only wish the noise level was lower.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/1/2014Cool place that has potential. Service was ok but a little slow with the drinks. Dinner well???? Fried asparagus with crab appetizer was great!!!! For the main course I had the Hong Kong Seabass with vegetables that had NO flavor. Doesn't the chef check his food before it goes out? My wife had the special parmesan red snapper soggy!!! The table next to us also complained about their food being flavorless. I don't think we will return
- Very tasty!BeachComberDined on 10/25/2014This place was very nice, while still being casual. I had the almond and coconut crusted salmon, which was one of the best meals I've had in Galveston, maybe in the top ten best meals of my life! I will absolutely be back, & will recommend to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014We were very disappointed. The crab cake appetizer and the snapper ponchartrain were not very good
- Galveston hotspotDgbellDined on 10/17/2014This continues to be one of our favorite Galveston spots. Great food, fun restaurant, wonderful service. Local seafood at its finest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Entree OptionsEddyMDined on 10/4/2014Great selection on the menu. Went with the Asian Grill Yellowfin Tuna and the Redfish Special, which were excellent. Meals were served hot and prompt. Mussels Diablo appetizer was disappointing though; mussel weren't fresh, tasted mealy. Regardless, will come back again next time we're in Galveston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeighborDined on 9/27/2014Great food! Good service. Noise level is almost unacceptableSpecial Features:
- One of our favoritesmikeandjanetDined on 9/27/2014Great food, great service, great value wine list. This is one of our favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- DaveDined on 9/26/2014Good food, friendly staff. Restaurant is noisy and hopefully will expand their menu selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerLiveToEatVIPDined on 9/23/2014We had a group of 10 people for dinner and we're well served. One of our party had to take a call just as the food was served and the waiter quickly took his plate back to the kitchen to keep it warm.Special Features:
- Excellent SeafoodTonyCDined on 9/20/2014Really good place to enjoy an excellent seafood dinner. Really good service with waiters who know their "stuff". You want your fish prepared a certain way, different than the menu? No problem. Reasonable priced wines as well. When in Galveston, and you want to escape the "beach food", this is the place.Special Features:
- Excellent Food but Very NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Dinner on a Saturday night, low ceilings make it extremely noisy. Could barley hear each other speak. We ordered the special, almond crusted red fish. It was excellent!! Wait staff service was good. I've been for lunch and the food was so-so and the wait staff service was bad. So stick to dinner and you will be pleased!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 50th Birthday fun!TBAcVIPDined on 9/5/2014Travis took great care of our rowdy 10 ladies group while we celebrating our friends 50th birthday. Delicious and fun and reasonable prices!! We will be back!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantmouseDined on 8/31/20143 had Cioppino and 2 had Bouillabaise and 1 had Mussels. We all loved what we had. Great tastes and flavors. Several shared the romaine wedge salad and it was great too. We drank Kim Crawford white that was perfect with our food.Special Features:
- Geat food/Wait service needs helpTimber1Dined on 8/30/2014Made reservation but had to wait on a table (not long). However table where we were seated was upfront and overly noisy. Host seemed inexperienced and/or seemed preoccupied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumNeneDined on 8/18/2014Best lobster bisque ever with big chunks of tender lobsterSpecial Features:
- Wonderful DinnerBluedogDined on 8/16/2014Hadn't been here for quite some time. The food was excellent - cooked correctly, tasty, & interesting. Service was also excellent - attentive. My only complaint is the noise level makes it hard to talk with friends & because of that it wouldn't be my ideal for a romantic dinner - but great for friends, family.Special Features:
- Was my favorite but never again.SaraSymbiont11Dined on 8/15/2014The waitress was an older lady who after getting my appetizer order wrong the first time completely ignored us the rest of the evening. We were left for more than thirty minutes without drink refills and this place used to be my favorite. I brought all my friends and family here and this time was just so bad It embarrassed me to the point I will never recommend it or come again. So sad.Special Features:
- Outstanding!FWCoupleDined on 8/10/2014Great recommendation by Melissa, guest services at the Tremont. Service was terrific and the menu off the charts. The fish was fresh and sides unbeatable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Seafood in GalvestonsgbooDined on 8/9/2014Never disappointed. Always good food. From the salad to the gumbo to the shrimp to the fresh fish special.Special Features:
- Will only request Jessica's tableLimama3Dined on 8/9/2014This is the perfect spot for before show dinner! Everyghing was fabulous!Special Features:
- Food was wonderful & also server.JjudyhootDined on 8/9/2014Only problem we noticed was that it was very loud in there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An OK overall mealJustanaverageplaceDined on 8/9/2014The apps and salad were great but the entrees were not as described. The waiter/menu interpretation was somewhat misleading. An average dining experience.
- The following 528 reviews are from the Saltwater Grill reviews archive.
- menu has gotten too limited......AnneMarieVIPDined on 7/19/2014Could use more variety of fish preparation. ..light fish options...bring the scallops back and some seasonal variety!! Still good....just needs a little tweaking. Can beef up the wine list as well! Robyn was Great. ...The loudness can make it tough for romance though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, Bad and Ugly!Love2EatDined on 7/19/2014First the good - Upon arrival, we were seated in a booth, which we loved. Enjoyed our fried asparagus appetizer. 3 out of 4 entrees were good. Now for the bad - Our waitress was so soft-spoken that we had a very difficult time hearing her, which was very frustrating. Shrimp appetizer was mediocre and hard to eat. My tuna was cold in the middle, I sent it back to the kitchen and it was still cool in the middle when it was returned. I ate everything else except the tuna (the main course). Our wine was lovely but came after our meal was served and I had to ask for it?? The ambiance was horrible - SO LOUD!!!! We weren't in a hurry but it took over 30 minutes to get our bill and pay for our dinner. Not impressed and will not return.
- great food and serviceSanLuisPassFoodieDined on 7/12/2014The food was fresh and perfectly prepared. One of us want the fish prepared differently than the special was announced. That request was ho ored beautifully. Another two guests wanted to split plate, again no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and ServicePandaChopDined on 7/11/2014Good place for lunch with friends and co-workers. Good overall selection with excellent dessert. I love the bread pudding; only place that uses white chocolate in their bread pudding :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2014We were treating our Granddaughter to lunch and she was very impressed. Loved the food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious steak!SteakloverDined on 7/7/2014Ever eat a steak so good it makes you want to hug the chef? I sure haven't till I ate here. The bone in ribeye with the bacon onion jam was the best steak I have ever had. It's a little pricey but well worth it. Deff will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The grand Opera House night outfinickygirlDined on 7/6/2014We love to go here every time we go to a performance at the Grand Opera House. They will divide a plate for so we don't have leftovers sitting in the car. The presentation is beautiful! I'm also gluten-free and they accommodate me every timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for what you getdixiechick57Dined on 7/5/2014We had a party of 5 on a Sat. night...3 ordered the tortilla crusted red snapper ($36), just mediocre. I got the filet mignon with spinach instead of asparagus..... should have gotten the asparagus. Not sure what it was about the spinach: not fresh maybe? Steak was good though. Our 5th ordered the seared tuna (I think he was happy enough). Anyway, 3 of us walked away disappointed and not wanting to return..... rather go to the Gumbo Bar.
- Just "ok"SeewwDined on 7/4/2014Nothing special, food was not quite hot and sort of bland. Desserts were not very good. Overall, there are better places to eat for this kind of money.
- hard to beat!Oldguy62Dined on 6/28/2014It is rare when you find a restaurant that has it all. Great food, service and price all rolled up in one. A truly wonderful find and right across the street from the Grand 1894 Opera House. Go for the lobster bisque and then the lobster risotto. Truly a work of culinary art. The best steaks in Galveston and in a setting that hasn't been discovered yet. Get there soon as the place will be packed by returning guests in no time!Special Features:
- Over ratedLJWEKWDined on 6/23/2014After reading previous reviews, decided to try the restaurant. The seafood was excellent, my Red Fish Ponchatrain was prepared to perfection. However, the waiter was rather indifferent to our requests. The noise level was almost unbearable. U nable to carry on a conversation with my wife across the table. Dress code was not followed, making us stand out in the crowd. Although the food was excellent, the service was terrible. To many good restaurants in the area to put up with noise level and service.
- Change of pace on the islandexwaiterDined on 6/9/2014My wife and I wanted a "less casual" place to spend her birthday dinner on Galveston island. Most of the restaurants cater to the flip-flop and shorts crowd, which is to be expected. It was a Monday evening, so the crowd was sparse, and did include a diner in shorts, but the restaurant itself is exactly what we were looking for. Our waitress was very helpful and friendly. She wasn't the over-friendly type that I loathe, but the perfect amount of professionalism and friendly. The crab cake appetizer was very flavorful and moist. My wife had the special with a bone-in ribeye that was delicious. I had crawfish etouffee. The street reminded me more of something in Austin or maybe Montrose in Houston, on the artsy side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks, mediocre fishEdgarDined on 6/7/2014And it is taunted as a seafood restaurant? If you can handle the price, one of the best steaks on the island.Special Features:
- Good, not greatPollyannaDined on 6/6/2014Food here was pretty good. It might have seemed great if the service had been good. Our waiter was so surly it was almost comical! My favorite thing we ordered off the menu was the apple cider salad. The place had a great atmosphere and is nestled in my favorite part of downtown Galveston.Special Features: