Saltus River Grill
802 Bay Street, Suite C
Beaufort, SC 29902Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Saltus River Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.saltusrivergrill.com/
- Phone: 8433793474
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pmReservations are for the dining room only. Reservations are not taken for our Patio, first-come basis due to availability.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Spratling
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant can be closed for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Otero 8433793474
A word from Saltus River Grill
Saltus River Grill is a unique, and exciting restaurant in historic downtown Beaufort, South Carolina. With a grand view of the Intracoastal Waterway from its Sonoma-style patio or from the expansive full-service bar and dining room, this sizzling contemporary seafood grill combines the atmosphere of a chic Manhattan eatery with the historic charm found only in the South Carolina Lowcountry.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Saltus River Grill - Best Restaurants in Beaufort ›
Saltus River Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (115)great for outdoor dining (98)special occasion (82)romantic (67)fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (49)vibrant bar scene (31)good for groups (30)notable wine list (29)hot spot (21)late-night find (15)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/29/2014We're frequent customers, however the restaurant was Very Overbooked and service was terribly slow. Manager admitted he'd over booked when he brought the bill to the table, after a several hour three course meal it was too late. Great food,but poor service.
- Fantastic food, view and service!pupl0verLAVIPDined on 8/29/2014Excellent food... Bravo to the chef. Gorgeous scenic outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but not a good value.Foodie5Dined on 8/28/2014The atmosphere is lovely and the service was excellent. HOWEVER, I ordered the lobster tails. I was told they were 4 ounces each, however, I think they included the shell in their measurement. I have never had such small tails. It was really pathetic. The cost for the tails and one side was $28 and believe me, there was maybe 4 ounces of meat in all. The flavor was good, but, I was very disappointed. My husband got the steak and enjoyed it and my son got the scallops. Their portions were generous. So, don't get the lobster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014As usual everything was wonderful, the service and food was excellantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's been about 6 years...AKP4706Dined on 8/23/2014The staff were very friendly and fairly attentive at our table but the bar service was slow. The cocktails we ordered were so strong we couldn't taste the flavors. I eventually had to ask for tall glasses with more mixers & even then they were strong. The sushi was pretty good, we would definitely reorder that again. The fried shrimp roll was wonderful. My husband ordered steak medium rare which nearly walked off his plate it was so blue. The salad was just ok. I was surprised to see lots of people in shorts, round neck tees and sandals which just brought the occasion down. It didn't used to be that way. What's the point of dressing up when anyone dressed anyway can get a table? Not our best experience but not our worst either.Special Features:
- Fantastic Foodfrenchfoodie1234Dined on 8/23/2014The food was fantastic. The weather was hot, so I had grilled lobster tail and the cold cucumber and avocado soup. The lobster was perfectly cooked and the soup smooth and delicious. The service is always great and the bar "scene" is fun, but controlled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverdonefrankfoodDined on 8/22/2014Lot of great ideas. Just too much stuff going on in the food. Too much stuff trying to come together. We like our food cleaner, and fresher. And don't serve a bourbon old fashion in a regular glass without enough bourbon to taste.Special Features:
- Beautiful views, delicious foodang1278VIPDined on 8/21/2014would have enjoyed sitting outside if it hadn't been 95 degrees and extremely humid! The patio overlooks the water and was beautiful. The interior was comfortable and sleek, and the meal (creamed corn grits and scallops) was to die for! This was our "nice dinner out" on our vacation to South Carolina--we are from NJ. Family had told us about the place and we took a trip to Beaufort from Hilton Head to enjoy the restaurant. Worth the trip, and the town was adorable too.Special Features:
- Welcome to Beaufortlove2eatDined on 8/19/2014Saltus was a somewhat surprising contemporary find in this quiet historic town. The atmosphere was upscale but comfortable. Everything we ordered, from cocktails to dessert was excellent. Our server, Joseph, was efficient, knowledgeable and accommodating. Definitely the best meal of our trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014We truly enjoyed ourselves at Saltus. Glad we went there for dinner.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable experienceJohnNCDined on 8/15/2014Service and atmosphere was very pleasing. The menu showcased local and southern classics with several unique dishes. Had the browned in butter scallops with cheese grits, excellent. Tried their Devil's Kiss bourbon cocktail and took home the recipe. It was too hot and muggy to sit outside when we were there, but the outdoor patio overlooks the river park and the river and has a wonderful view. We sat & swinged in one of the many riverside porch swings after dinner, what a way to relax after a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saltus Beaufort SCOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014Great nautical atmosphere. Really good, generous drinks. We had the salmon and blackened catfish which were excellent. The wait staff were very attentive. We chose to sit inside but you can sit on the patio and enjoy a great water view. Overall it was a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Noisy by the bayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food was great and very nice menu. Seating is crowded with a lot of noise from the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceCapeCraft1Dined on 8/6/2014We we pleased with the entire experience the food was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerMarleyDougDined on 8/6/2014We had dinner with great friends and sat outside. It was a lovely evening with superb food!Special Features:
- You can Eat Healthy and Delicious!PaulaDined on 8/6/2014Our second year having an amazing dinner! I wish they would bring back the whole fish presentation from last year which my son and I enjoyed, but a job well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't say enough!calorieDined on 8/2/2014We dined twice at Saltus River Grill, the first time because it was recommended by our Inn, and the second because we loved it so much the first time! Both nights my wife had "catch of the day"; "tile fish" first, which she was unfamiliar with, but our server explained with great enthusiasm; and the second night, the grouper "catch", which she ordered because the server, again, recommended it highly. My wife still raves about both as perfect. I had and loved the peel and eat shrimp the first night, and the highly recommended ( for good reason) shrimp and grits, the second. Amazing. Clearly, there is a chef in the kitchen who loves what he or she does, and does it so well. Great service & food...a wonderful experience, in every respect.Special Features:
- Great place!AllincDined on 8/1/2014Stopped in Beaufort for a weekend boat trip and Saltus was a recommendation. Right on the waterfront so beautiful location. Option to sit outside but couldn't resist the beauty on the inside. Had amazing oysters on the half shell! Only complaints were an unfortunate plate of over cooked scallops, still tasted amazing just a little tough. Took a piece of cheesecake to go and sadly did not enjoy and would not recommend. Overall it was a great meal. Just know that if you are going here value is not a consideration, but well worth it! Will visit again if in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 85253Dined on 8/1/2014Interesting meals. Love the rosemary pomme Frits with Rosemary. Delmonico steak tough and way too much sauce. Would have preferred butter and seasoned which our waitress talked out of ordering. That's on us. On the whole the food and service always great. Visit Beaufort several times a year, we live I. Charleston, and we return each trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewtcmcharlotteDined on 7/30/2014This was my second visit here.....it has an excellent view...food is good with excellent presentation. The staff is amazingly accommodating....each time I've been here it's been with a crowd and we never wanted for anything! Great spot!Special Features:
- Never disappointing!BrownsIslandcoupleDined on 7/29/2014Each time we go to Saltus, everything goes well. The food is terrific, the wait staff is attentive and polite, the menu choices plentiful. We will continue to frequent Saltus for just a night out as well as for special occasions.Special Features:
- Upscale, elegant, unpretentious.sharc9797Dined on 7/29/2014The menu is nicely varied. Not so many choices to be overwhelming. Very attentive service. Everyone at our table ordered something different, and all were pleased. Saltus is one of the few restaurants downtown where you go to dine, not just to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerWorldClassDined on 7/25/2014One of the best meals we have had at a 5 star restaurant. Superb!!!! The Chef was a delight to chat with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saltus River Grill - SCAaronDined on 7/25/2014The service was very good with attentive staff. The service was overshadowed by the outstanding food. Every dish was prepared perfectly: salads, sushi, pasta, steak, seafood - with fantastic tastes! Good wine selection, appetizers and desserts too. Wonderful view and patio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks and dinner!ABrownNJDined on 7/19/2014We were lucky enough to be in town for the Water Festival, and enjoyed fabulous cocktails while watching the fireworks from their patio. Dinner was fantastic - sushi, some spring rolls, and carrot soup that was so flavorful. Classy place - definitely stop here, even just for an appetizer or drink to enjoy the view!Special Features:
- BarbDined on 7/18/2014Great dinner. Grandsons and friends from Dallas. Reservations for outside table, but at first could not get one. Then within 5 minutes got the perfect table outside. We ate, ate and drank. Perfect experience!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top restaurant in townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We've been to SALTUS several times. The food is outstanding and the ambience very nice. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lowcountry Choice in BeaufortcharlestondiningfanVIPDined on 7/16/2014I love Beaufort and Saltus River Grill. From the crab bisque to the crab cake to whatever creatively prepared fresh fish is on special, this Lowcountry restaurant is highly recommended!Special Features:
- Delicious Food, Great ServiceHapjamlawDined on 7/16/2014Located on the waterfront in historic downtown Beaufort. The food was delicious and the service was just great. Made for a lovely, relaxing evening.Special Features:
- local returninglocalfoodieDined on 7/12/2014Arthur is the best wait staff. Have had him several times and he is simply great. Was there for a b-day celebration with a friend from out of town. Did not disappoint. Specials were amazing. Only drawback was a very large (12) group who were celebrating too and had obviously been for some time. We asked to move and were quickly accommodated.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2014I'M ALWAYS HAPPY WHEN I CAN ACKNOWLEDGE A JOB WELL DONE. SALTUS'S FOOD IS ALMOST ALWAYS EXCELLENT IN BOTH PREPARATION AND DISPLAY.NICK AND OUR WAITRESS WENT OUT OF THEIR WAYS TO BE PRESENT AND HELPFUL. ESPECIALLY IMPRESSED NICK REMEMBERD OUT LAST 2 VISITS[VALENTINES' DAY AND ANNIVERSARY] SEVERAL MONTHS AGO. I'M NOT EASILY IMPRESSED , NOR WRITE MANY ACCOLADES.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still Great After all these YearsannieVIPDined on 7/5/2014We had a lovely meal.! I don't remember it being as expensive though. I think it should be between 2 and 3 $$$-$$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cappyladyDined on 7/5/2014Lovely special dinner for our family. the service was wonderful.Special Features:
- A Best of the BestFrippfoodieDined on 7/3/2014We've been to Saltus many times, and it is always outstanding--one of Beaufort's best of the best. It never disappoints. The food is fabulous and the menu has a nice variety. The grilled steaks and seafood are outstanding, and the produces is local and in season. This time, the chef offered an appetizer soup--red curry with a ceviche garnish that was exquisite--just the right amount of tanginess from the ceviche to complement the spiciness of the curry. We've also had the sushi and it is made right there and very fresh. The concrete bar, dark wood and high ceilings create a sophisticated, inviting atmosphere. We love to sit in a bar booth--great ambiance. The staff had our reservation when we got there--and our request for a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner (Again)ChapelHillFoodieDined on 7/3/2014Last year, we discovered Saltus while on a two-night stay in Beaufort. When we planned another overnight stay in Beaufort, this was our immediate choice. We had the special (black grouper over pasta). It was outstanding. We topped it off with the blueberry cheese cake. Although the weather was a little iffy, we sat outside. We finished just before sunset and had a very interesting sunset to observe from river's edge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/2/2014Saltus is the perfect restaurant to enjoy a lovely evening on the Beaufort Waterfront eating delicious local seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only OKRobbieDined on 7/2/2014Nice looking restaurant, but the food and service did not meet the expectations of the prices; perhaps a case of this restaurant being located in a tourist town. Their dishes could do much better with the loads of fresh local summer ingredients available to the Beaufort area.Special Features:
- arnieDined on 6/29/2014Nice comfortable place but gets very noisy when full.food good but not outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best in beaufortOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014i would highly recommend Saltus River Grill; impressive sushi selection; also great for vegetarians; our waitress was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NiceGrandoggerDined on 6/27/2014Took a group of five, including two twenty year old boys, to dinner and we all left very satisfied. The great variety allowed sushi appetizers to filet dinners, as well as nice fish options. A great upscale place to go without feeling like you should have worn a suit. Good drink and food options.Special Features: