Saltus River Grill
802 Bay Street, Suite C
Beaufort, SC 29902Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Saltus River Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.saltusrivergrill.com/
- Phone: 8433793474
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pmReservations are for the dining room only. Reservations are not taken for our Patio, first-come basis due to availability.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Spratling
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant can be closed for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Otero 8433793474
A word from Saltus River Grill
Saltus River Grill is a unique, and exciting restaurant in historic downtown Beaufort, South Carolina. With a grand view of the Intracoastal Waterway from its Sonoma-style patio or from the expansive full-service bar and dining room, this sizzling contemporary seafood grill combines the atmosphere of a chic Manhattan eatery with the historic charm found only in the South Carolina Lowcountry.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Saltus River Grill - Best Restaurants in Beaufort ›
Saltus River Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (108)great for outdoor dining (89)special occasion (84)fit for foodies (70)romantic (66)neighborhood gem (49)notable wine list (32)vibrant bar scene (30)good for groups (29)hot spot (23)late-night find (13)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Tuesdays Sushi Half-OffSouthernersDined on 9/16/2014I love this special for the month of September. It runs until 6:30 pm. However, make sure you order all the sushi you want because the couple who dined with us wanted to order an additional sushi dish at 6:32 pm and the waiter did not give them the half off price.Special Features:
- jrw10Dined on 9/14/2014somewhat expensive, but worth the occasional effortSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian, Beef and Sushi loversluv2dineVIPDined on 9/9/2014The four of us had a delightful and delicious dinner with you earlier this week. Two vegetarians thoroughly enjoyed the grilled dorado and the halibut. The carnivore loved the rib eye steak and the sushi aficionado devoured the crispy mahi and the special salmon rolls. Service was terrific as were the wines. It was just a lovely evening and we can't wait for a return trip to Beaufort.Special Features:
- billeddiDined on 9/8/2014A superb dinner, sophisticated presentation, surprisingly urbane setting in a small town. We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best after 5pm dininglindasplayingDined on 9/7/2014This is the best after 5pm dining. Waiter and waiteress went above their service for us. I will highly recommend this restaurant to any one coming to Beaufort. The atmosphere. Was very pleasant, very friendly. The food was highly exceptional, and very tasty. I give everything a 5 star rating!Special Features:
- Wonderful on SundayMaizyDined on 9/7/2014This is a nice place any day of the week, but the Jazz music on Sunday evening make it even a more remarkable experience. The prices are a little on the expensive side but the food is good and service is great! Music is fabulousSpecial Features:
- Saltus SplendorFood4meDined on 9/6/2014The splendor of Saltus never disappoints. This restaurant is beautiful, the food is always wonderful and the service is excellent. I always try to make one reservation at Saltus anytime I'm in Beaufort.Special Features:
- Saltus very positive experienceJosephDined on 9/4/2014We have eaten here a good number of times and the service and food is consistently very good. The wine list is special, the wait staff is well informed and the menu is very broad with something for everyone. And a fine selection of oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KJacksonDined on 9/1/2014Great outdoor seating area and view! Food was good and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tired of poor servicetraveler1900Dined on 8/31/2014I've been coming here for years having also lived in the neighborhood for about a year. I like the food but there is a consistent service problem. I have overlooked it the last couple of visits but no more. I prefer to sit outside, the view is wonderful! But, the service out there is slow. When I am paying top dollar I should not have to get the attention of the waiter to get bread to the table, water, or wait 20 minutes for the check. Add more outside staff. I saw a couple sit down with a drink, drink it, and they still had not seem a service person to take there order. Ridiculous!!
- AveragemegsgramDined on 8/31/2014Too many loud children. The 34.00 steak was ordered medium rare, came out VERY rare. Wait staff did not return for over 15-20 minutes so I went ahead and ate it as it was. Never offered a second glass of very good wine. On a positive note, wait staff was very well informed of the menu.Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointeddinerVIPDined on 8/29/2014We're frequent customers, however the restaurant was Very Overbooked and service was terribly slow. Manager admitted he'd over booked when he brought the bill to the table, after a several hour three course meal it was too late. Great food,but poor service.
- Fantastic food, view and service!pupl0verLAVIPDined on 8/29/2014Excellent food... Bravo to the chef. Gorgeous scenic outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but not a good value.Foodie5Dined on 8/28/2014The atmosphere is lovely and the service was excellent. HOWEVER, I ordered the lobster tails. I was told they were 4 ounces each, however, I think they included the shell in their measurement. I have never had such small tails. It was really pathetic. The cost for the tails and one side was $28 and believe me, there was maybe 4 ounces of meat in all. The flavor was good, but, I was very disappointed. My husband got the steak and enjoyed it and my son got the scallops. Their portions were generous. So, don't get the lobster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kittyDined on 8/27/2014As usual everything was wonderful, the service and food was excellantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's been about 6 years...AKP4706Dined on 8/23/2014The staff were very friendly and fairly attentive at our table but the bar service was slow. The cocktails we ordered were so strong we couldn't taste the flavors. I eventually had to ask for tall glasses with more mixers & even then they were strong. The sushi was pretty good, we would definitely reorder that again. The fried shrimp roll was wonderful. My husband ordered steak medium rare which nearly walked off his plate it was so blue. The salad was just ok. I was surprised to see lots of people in shorts, round neck tees and sandals which just brought the occasion down. It didn't used to be that way. What's the point of dressing up when anyone dressed anyway can get a table? Not our best experience but not our worst either.Special Features:
- Fantastic Foodfrenchfoodie1234Dined on 8/23/2014The food was fantastic. The weather was hot, so I had grilled lobster tail and the cold cucumber and avocado soup. The lobster was perfectly cooked and the soup smooth and delicious. The service is always great and the bar "scene" is fun, but controlled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverdonefrankfoodDined on 8/22/2014Lot of great ideas. Just too much stuff going on in the food. Too much stuff trying to come together. We like our food cleaner, and fresher. And don't serve a bourbon old fashion in a regular glass without enough bourbon to taste.Special Features:
- Beautiful views, delicious foodang1278VIPDined on 8/21/2014would have enjoyed sitting outside if it hadn't been 95 degrees and extremely humid! The patio overlooks the water and was beautiful. The interior was comfortable and sleek, and the meal (creamed corn grits and scallops) was to die for! This was our "nice dinner out" on our vacation to South Carolina--we are from NJ. Family had told us about the place and we took a trip to Beaufort from Hilton Head to enjoy the restaurant. Worth the trip, and the town was adorable too.Special Features:
- Welcome to Beaufortlove2eatDined on 8/19/2014Saltus was a somewhat surprising contemporary find in this quiet historic town. The atmosphere was upscale but comfortable. Everything we ordered, from cocktails to dessert was excellent. Our server, Joseph, was efficient, knowledgeable and accommodating. Definitely the best meal of our trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014We truly enjoyed ourselves at Saltus. Glad we went there for dinner.Special Features:
- Very enjoyable experienceJohnNCDined on 8/15/2014Service and atmosphere was very pleasing. The menu showcased local and southern classics with several unique dishes. Had the browned in butter scallops with cheese grits, excellent. Tried their Devil's Kiss bourbon cocktail and took home the recipe. It was too hot and muggy to sit outside when we were there, but the outdoor patio overlooks the river park and the river and has a wonderful view. We sat & swinged in one of the many riverside porch swings after dinner, what a way to relax after a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saltus Beaufort SCOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/11/2014Great nautical atmosphere. Really good, generous drinks. We had the salmon and blackened catfish which were excellent. The wait staff were very attentive. We chose to sit inside but you can sit on the patio and enjoy a great water view. Overall it was a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Noisy by the bayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food was great and very nice menu. Seating is crowded with a lot of noise from the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2014Inhaling smoke while we eat was not a part of our dinner plan... Disgusting .... We were in the middle of dinner when guests at the next table started to smoke.. Needles to say we left...Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceCapeCraft1Dined on 8/6/2014We we pleased with the entire experience the food was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful DinnerMarleyDougDined on 8/6/2014We had dinner with great friends and sat outside. It was a lovely evening with superb food!Special Features:
- You can Eat Healthy and Delicious!PaulaDined on 8/6/2014Our second year having an amazing dinner! I wish they would bring back the whole fish presentation from last year which my son and I enjoyed, but a job well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't say enough!calorieDined on 8/2/2014We dined twice at Saltus River Grill, the first time because it was recommended by our Inn, and the second because we loved it so much the first time! Both nights my wife had "catch of the day"; "tile fish" first, which she was unfamiliar with, but our server explained with great enthusiasm; and the second night, the grouper "catch", which she ordered because the server, again, recommended it highly. My wife still raves about both as perfect. I had and loved the peel and eat shrimp the first night, and the highly recommended ( for good reason) shrimp and grits, the second. Amazing. Clearly, there is a chef in the kitchen who loves what he or she does, and does it so well. Great service & food...a wonderful experience, in every respect.Special Features:
- Great place!AllincDined on 8/1/2014Stopped in Beaufort for a weekend boat trip and Saltus was a recommendation. Right on the waterfront so beautiful location. Option to sit outside but couldn't resist the beauty on the inside. Had amazing oysters on the half shell! Only complaints were an unfortunate plate of over cooked scallops, still tasted amazing just a little tough. Took a piece of cheesecake to go and sadly did not enjoy and would not recommend. Overall it was a great meal. Just know that if you are going here value is not a consideration, but well worth it! Will visit again if in the area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 85253Dined on 8/1/2014Interesting meals. Love the rosemary pomme Frits with Rosemary. Delmonico steak tough and way too much sauce. Would have preferred butter and seasoned which our waitress talked out of ordering. That's on us. On the whole the food and service always great. Visit Beaufort several times a year, we live I. Charleston, and we return each trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ViewtcmcharlotteDined on 7/30/2014This was my second visit here.....it has an excellent view...food is good with excellent presentation. The staff is amazingly accommodating....each time I've been here it's been with a crowd and we never wanted for anything! Great spot!Special Features:
- Never disappointing!BrownsIslandcoupleDined on 7/29/2014Each time we go to Saltus, everything goes well. The food is terrific, the wait staff is attentive and polite, the menu choices plentiful. We will continue to frequent Saltus for just a night out as well as for special occasions.Special Features:
- Upscale, elegant, unpretentious.sharc9797Dined on 7/29/2014The menu is nicely varied. Not so many choices to be overwhelming. Very attentive service. Everyone at our table ordered something different, and all were pleased. Saltus is one of the few restaurants downtown where you go to dine, not just to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerWorldClassDined on 7/25/2014One of the best meals we have had at a 5 star restaurant. Superb!!!! The Chef was a delight to chat with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saltus River Grill - SCAaronDined on 7/25/2014The service was very good with attentive staff. The service was overshadowed by the outstanding food. Every dish was prepared perfectly: salads, sushi, pasta, steak, seafood - with fantastic tastes! Good wine selection, appetizers and desserts too. Wonderful view and patio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks and dinner!ABrownNJDined on 7/19/2014We were lucky enough to be in town for the Water Festival, and enjoyed fabulous cocktails while watching the fireworks from their patio. Dinner was fantastic - sushi, some spring rolls, and carrot soup that was so flavorful. Classy place - definitely stop here, even just for an appetizer or drink to enjoy the view!Special Features:
- BarbDined on 7/18/2014Great dinner. Grandsons and friends from Dallas. Reservations for outside table, but at first could not get one. Then within 5 minutes got the perfect table outside. We ate, ate and drank. Perfect experience!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top restaurant in townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We've been to SALTUS several times. The food is outstanding and the ambience very nice. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lowcountry Choice in BeaufortcharlestondiningfanVIPDined on 7/16/2014I love Beaufort and Saltus River Grill. From the crab bisque to the crab cake to whatever creatively prepared fresh fish is on special, this Lowcountry restaurant is highly recommended!Special Features: