Saltus River Grill
802 Bay Street, Suite C
Beaufort, SC 29902Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Saltus River Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.saltusrivergrill.com/
- Phone: 8433793474
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 4:00pm - Until...Reservations are for the dining room only. Reservations are not taken for our Patio. The Patio is on a first-come basis due to availability.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Brian Waters
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant can be closed for private events.
- Private Party Contact: Tony Otero 8433793474
A word from Saltus River Grill
Saltus River Grill is a unique, and exciting restaurant in historic downtown Beaufort, South Carolina. With a grand view of the Intracoastal Waterway from its Sonoma-style patio or from the expansive full-service bar and dining room, this sizzling contemporary seafood grill combines the atmosphere of a chic Manhattan eatery with the historic charm found only in the South Carolina Lowcountry.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Saltus River Grill - Best Restaurants in Beaufort ›
Saltus River Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
133 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (93)great for outdoor dining (80)special occasion (79)fit for foodies (75)romantic (58)neighborhood gem (57)notable wine list (34)good for groups (27)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (25)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- On my favorite listTrishaDined on 10/26/2014Anytime we are in Beaufort South Carolina we go to Saltus Grill. It is one of our favorite all-time restaurants. Amazing and creative dishes, a great atmosphere. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Sunday eve jazz dinnerPrincessDined on 10/26/2014What a find! The food is top notch as is the service and ambiance! Love the Jazz combo that plays Sunday eve- we even danced cheek to cheek- a romantic birthday dinner. Shared the swordfish special with veggies cooked to perfection- they split the plate very nicely for us. The crabcake apetizer had flavorful interesting garnishes. Husband loved the butternut squash soup. Apple crumble bourbon dessert with vanilla ice cream was just the right ending. Derek was a great server and we went with his suggestion of a dry ( who knew?) rosè which was delicious. We will be back!Special Features:
- Consistently GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Saltus always has (a) a nice menu; (b) great service; (c) nice range of affordable wines and (d) a consistent dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/24/2014We had been wanting to try Saltus for months but whenever we were in town the timing was wrong got dinner. This time we planned and made reservations. The food was great and the service excellent. One of our party had a garlic allergy and the chef made the dish she wanted by tweaking the ingredients and it was wonderful. We had a 6:30 reservation and were seated promptly at a table with a lovely view. By the time we left two hours later, the place was full and getting a little noisy. This may become one of our favorite "go to" restaurants and we are already starting to recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance/great foodMaryHHIDined on 10/24/2014We had a wonderful dining experience. From the specialty drinks to the wine selection, they were all top rate. We dined with another couple and all of our meals were superb. The sun set over the Broad River and it was quite picturesque. We had to go to the theatre afterwards and the waitress was very efficient in getting our bill to us in time to make the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014My husband and I had a fantastic dinner outside at the Saltus River Grill. Food was phenomenal and unique. Service was outstanding. View was terrific outside on the patio overlooking the river, but inside was very nice as well. I'd highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Filet Mignon!wade6974Dined on 10/22/2014I had dinner recently w/ a few friends at Saltus. I frequent Saltus at least once a month. I have always ordered the shrimp or sushi but this time the entire table ordered red meat so I thought I would indulge. My filet was the best piece of meat that I have eaten in a long time. It was perfectly cooked--medium, the way I ordered it & the accompanying side dish of twice baked potato was also excellent. The table agreed that the meal was excellent. The quality of the meat & tenderness were the two factors that put it at outstanding. We all basically ordered either the filet or rib eye with the same side. Our server was attentive & professional. When she heard that we were celebrating a birthday, she brought a free dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- impecable service with great viewsMollygirlDined on 10/21/2014The food was great but that was not the best part of our dining experience. It was the service. We sat outside near the fire pit and had a beautiful view of the water and the sunset.Special Features:
- Best in BeaufortOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014We are frequent diners at Saltus. We prefer sitting at the bar or at booths in the bar area. On a recent visit on a beautiful fall night, many diners were outside enjoying the view and sunset. Our food was excellent and service very friendly although there was a long wait between the starters and the dinner. An unusual lapse.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/19/2014After a rocky start (confusion as to who would be the server for our table), the service was excellent with 2 servers and a manager stopping by to see how things were going. Food (CA roll sushi with lump crabmeat appetizer, wood-grilled dorado and tofu entrees, and pumpkin cheesecake) was exceptional and went well with the South African white wine that we selected. The live jazz music made the evening all the more enjoyable. My husband and I agreed that this was the best overall dining experience that we had in our 4-day getaway to Savannah, Charleston, and Beaufort (and we ate at some highly rated places!!!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightJakeDined on 10/12/2014Plan to spend $150 for the date, but well worth it. The food and service were great, especially for the area. Not quite on par with fine dining in larger areas, but still very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014My mother and I celebrated her birthday on 10/10/2014. The food was outstanding. Our server Justin made our first time experience one we would not forget. Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014The ambiance and food was wonderful. The service was friendly and extremely knowledgeable with the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Our waitress, Sunny (Sonnie?) put us in excellent spirits right off, and we never looked back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Celebrated my anniversary there, they made the event special. Very customer oriented.Special Features:
- Food and service was not impressiveSouthernersDined on 9/30/2014This place is a bit of a crap shoot, sometimes great, sometimes bad. I suppose it depends on the chef. I don't think he was there on that night Food was tasteless and service slow.The sushi was pitiful and wrong. It had to be taken back and be "dressed" up. Our friend's salmon was over cooked to the point that it had no flavor. Her husband's steamed shrimp looked more like an appetizer than an entree.Special Features:
- Dining highlight in BeaufortDine4funDined on 9/27/2014Outstanding food and service. Fish special and scallop dish we're amazing. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No sugarOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/27/2014The restaurant is nice, right along the river. Service was good. Food was OK; however our dessert (creme brûlée) literally lacked any sugar. The manager did come by to apologize and our cork fee was removed as a courtesy.Special Features:
- RecommendedFoodSnobDined on 9/27/2014This was recommended by the place we stayed, and we were very pleased. Decor excellent, food excellent, service excellent. Only concern was we tried to get a reservation @ 7pm on Saturday night, but were blocked out, so we got the 6:15pm slot. However, as we were still there @ 7:30, we noticed many empty tables. Looks like you don't really need a reservation. That being said, the scallops were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saltus River Grill is upscale.rivergalDined on 9/21/2014Nice location on the Beaufort River. The 4 piece Jazz ensemble on Sunday night was an unexpected and nice touch, although it made conversation a bit difficult. After dinner, we sat on the patio, which faces the river, and the busboy, Carl, was so attentive. He asked if we would like some water on the patio. That was above and beyond the call of duty, as he had served us water at dinner, and knew that we had finished. Accolades to him for being so watchful and polite. Food was decoratively presented, and the waiter was very professional. My sister is difficult to please, and the waiter did everything he could to accommodate her. Wine list is fine. This place is best described as urban chic in style and has a nice menu.Special Features:
- Yippee!AuntBossyVIPDined on 9/21/2014Saltus was great tonight. The food is always good, and I sit outside so the noisy interior doesn't bother me. However, what really put it over the top tonight was the service. Long live Deanna Bowdish, a true professional. Thank you for a wonderful meal.Special Features:
- OutstandingBirthdayfoodieDined on 9/20/2014This was our second time dining at Saltus. The basic menu stays the same but there are also amazing specials that are not listed because they change at the whim of the chef based on the season's freshest ingredients. The ravioli appetizer in the creamy mushroom sauce won over my meat and potatoes husband, as he really ventured out of his comfort zone for this culinary delight. His filet mignon was perfection, my mom's lobster tails were delicious ( but a little difficult to free from their shells), and the remaining 2 beef tenderloin specials with crabmeat and asparagus were beyond description. We topped the evening off with a chocolate lava type cake that simply melts in your mouth. Everything was perfect from start to finish.Special Features:
- Tuesdays Sushi Half-OffSouthernersDined on 9/16/2014I love this special for the month of September. It runs until 6:30 pm. However, make sure you order all the sushi you want because the couple who dined with us wanted to order an additional sushi dish at 6:32 pm and the waiter did not give them the half off price.Special Features:
- jrw10Dined on 9/14/2014somewhat expensive, but worth the occasional effortSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian, Beef and Sushi loversluv2dineVIPDined on 9/9/2014The four of us had a delightful and delicious dinner with you earlier this week. Two vegetarians thoroughly enjoyed the grilled dorado and the halibut. The carnivore loved the rib eye steak and the sushi aficionado devoured the crispy mahi and the special salmon rolls. Service was terrific as were the wines. It was just a lovely evening and we can't wait for a return trip to Beaufort.Special Features:
- billeddiDined on 9/8/2014A superb dinner, sophisticated presentation, surprisingly urbane setting in a small town. We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best after 5pm dininglindasplayingDined on 9/7/2014This is the best after 5pm dining. Waiter and waiteress went above their service for us. I will highly recommend this restaurant to any one coming to Beaufort. The atmosphere. Was very pleasant, very friendly. The food was highly exceptional, and very tasty. I give everything a 5 star rating!Special Features:
- Wonderful on SundayMaizyDined on 9/7/2014This is a nice place any day of the week, but the Jazz music on Sunday evening make it even a more remarkable experience. The prices are a little on the expensive side but the food is good and service is great! Music is fabulousSpecial Features:
- Saltus SplendorFood4meDined on 9/6/2014The splendor of Saltus never disappoints. This restaurant is beautiful, the food is always wonderful and the service is excellent. I always try to make one reservation at Saltus anytime I'm in Beaufort.Special Features:
- Saltus very positive experienceJosephDined on 9/4/2014We have eaten here a good number of times and the service and food is consistently very good. The wine list is special, the wait staff is well informed and the menu is very broad with something for everyone. And a fine selection of oysters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KJacksonDined on 9/1/2014Great outdoor seating area and view! Food was good and service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tired of poor servicetraveler1900Dined on 8/31/2014I've been coming here for years having also lived in the neighborhood for about a year. I like the food but there is a consistent service problem. I have overlooked it the last couple of visits but no more. I prefer to sit outside, the view is wonderful! But, the service out there is slow. When I am paying top dollar I should not have to get the attention of the waiter to get bread to the table, water, or wait 20 minutes for the check. Add more outside staff. I saw a couple sit down with a drink, drink it, and they still had not seem a service person to take there order. Ridiculous!!
- AveragemegsgramDined on 8/31/2014Too many loud children. The 34.00 steak was ordered medium rare, came out VERY rare. Wait staff did not return for over 15-20 minutes so I went ahead and ate it as it was. Never offered a second glass of very good wine. On a positive note, wait staff was very well informed of the menu.Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointeddinerVIPDined on 8/29/2014We're frequent customers, however the restaurant was Very Overbooked and service was terribly slow. Manager admitted he'd over booked when he brought the bill to the table, after a several hour three course meal it was too late. Great food,but poor service.
- Fantastic food, view and service!pupl0verLAVIPDined on 8/29/2014Excellent food... Bravo to the chef. Gorgeous scenic outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but not a good value.Foodie5Dined on 8/28/2014The atmosphere is lovely and the service was excellent. HOWEVER, I ordered the lobster tails. I was told they were 4 ounces each, however, I think they included the shell in their measurement. I have never had such small tails. It was really pathetic. The cost for the tails and one side was $28 and believe me, there was maybe 4 ounces of meat in all. The flavor was good, but, I was very disappointed. My husband got the steak and enjoyed it and my son got the scallops. Their portions were generous. So, don't get the lobster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kittyDined on 8/27/2014As usual everything was wonderful, the service and food was excellantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's been about 6 years...AKP4706Dined on 8/23/2014The staff were very friendly and fairly attentive at our table but the bar service was slow. The cocktails we ordered were so strong we couldn't taste the flavors. I eventually had to ask for tall glasses with more mixers & even then they were strong. The sushi was pretty good, we would definitely reorder that again. The fried shrimp roll was wonderful. My husband ordered steak medium rare which nearly walked off his plate it was so blue. The salad was just ok. I was surprised to see lots of people in shorts, round neck tees and sandals which just brought the occasion down. It didn't used to be that way. What's the point of dressing up when anyone dressed anyway can get a table? Not our best experience but not our worst either.Special Features:
- Fantastic Foodfrenchfoodie1234Dined on 8/23/2014The food was fantastic. The weather was hot, so I had grilled lobster tail and the cold cucumber and avocado soup. The lobster was perfectly cooked and the soup smooth and delicious. The service is always great and the bar "scene" is fun, but controlled!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverdonefrankfoodDined on 8/22/2014Lot of great ideas. Just too much stuff going on in the food. Too much stuff trying to come together. We like our food cleaner, and fresher. And don't serve a bourbon old fashion in a regular glass without enough bourbon to taste.Special Features: