Saltlik, A Rare Steakhouse - Banff
221 Bear Street
Banff, AB T1L 1B3Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Saltlik, A Rare Steakhouse - Banff
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saltlik.com/
- Phone: 403-762-2467
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak
- Executive Chef: Jennifer Ruszczak
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: SaltLik is happy to accept private party bookings. There will be a minimum spend price for exclusive use of the restaurant or lounge. Contact us for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Guy 4037622467
- Entertainment: Lik Lounge offers live local music on every other Thursday or Sunday night. S.I.N. (Service Industry Night) Sundays featuring live D.J. spinning lounge and house from 10pm to close. Happy Hour prices.
A word from Saltlik, A Rare Steakhouse - Banff
Offering Banff’s largest selection of high quality ‘AAA’ and ‘Canadian Angus Beef’, complimented by a diverse wine selection. Enjoy a memorable evening in an elegant, yet comfortable surrounding. Take in the mountain views on the covered, heated patio. The Lik Lounge is the perfect gathering place to enjoy live music or watch the big game on one of the eight TV’s. Indulge in a signature beer or martini exclusive to the SaltLik.Lounge menu is available from 11:30am to 11:00pm, tapas until midnight. Don’t miss “Happy Hour” Mon to Fri 4pm-7pm.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Saltlik, A Rare Steakhouse - Banff reviews from OpenTable diners
- mother daughter dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2014From the greeting to the farewell all aspects of the evening were a 10. Our server provided us with an experience that myself working in on dusty, truly treasure. The service was incredible making for an overall wonderful night! Thanks for taking such great of care us meet special occasion in Banff....we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Bad ServiceMikeVIPDined on 2/18/2014Saltlik was very disappointing. Service was terrible, we were never offered to hang our heavy winter jackets and it took 15 minutes to have someone greet us and bring water to our table when the dinning room was only 75% full. Our food was very subpar for the price. The vegetables were overcooked to mush, and the steaks were overcooked. They were supposed to be medium rare; however, when they arrived they were cooked to medium, no longer pink and juicy on the inside. After our bill was brought to the table we sat there for over 30 minutes before our server came to take our payment.Special Features:
- Great food!AnyarDined on 2/16/2014Food was delicious! Service was very prompt even though they was very busy (i'm pretty sure every table was full). Staff were very friendly and helpful. I would recommend Saltlik to friends and family!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence!CynfulDined on 2/16/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Banff! The food is excellent! The calamari is to die for and they make the best French onion soup, EVER!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal!NmurphyDined on 1/22/2014My husband and I are honeymooning in banff and this meal likely stole the show! We shared a porterhouse that was cooked to perfection! We had maple Brussel sprouts that were unbelievable!!! The dessert was also outstanding! Overall this Resturant will be making us return to banff! It's a must have while you are here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing As AlwaysBethBalisDined on 12/24/2013I had eaten at Saltlik previously and it was delicious as always. My husband and I made the trip from Calgary to Banff just for this restaurant and it didn't disappoint at all. The food is amazing; tender, flavourful steaks, delicious sides and our favourite beyond favourite food item in the whole world... the duck tacos. The one change was that this time we decided to eat in the upstairs, near the kitchen. The kitchen was loud, the chefs were shouting to each other an asking servers to push certain items, at one time there was even a wee bit of swearing. It could be distracting but overall I would still recommend Saltlik, just request a table away from the noise. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like Earl's with better meatMariaBanffVIPDined on 12/22/2013The steak here is the highlight, but for the prices, professional servers would really help. Ours took 3 of 4 appetizer orders and then walked away. He brought one soup then took the 4th person's starter. He was very cheerful, as if from the set of Glee, but said things like "don't you worry about getting wine ordered - your steak isn't ready." I guess he'd not heard of wine breathing for a few minutes or having some with a starter. The service doesn't do the food justice. Two steaks were perfectly medium rare and flavourful and both the mushrooms and asparagus sides are wonderful shared. The ahi tuna was great albeit with a tad strong vinaigrette. The sister restaurant in Calgary has good food too and superior overall.
- Great foodSteakfood3Dined on 11/10/2013The food was absolutely delicious! From the salad through the steak and dessert all of the food we had was really good. Our waiter was very attentive and friendly. The restaurant was very nicely decorated and the atmosphere was perfect for a nice evening out. Ithe noise level was not too hig h so you could actually have a conversation with the other person at the table. The prices were reasonable for a high end restaurant. All in all I would recommend Saltlik as a great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy, Yummy, Yummy!mckmomDined on 11/5/2013What a find on our last night in Banff. My chicken and hubby's steak (which he got with rosemary butter, yum!) were sooooo tasty. And our sides of mac and cheese, and scalloped potatoes (i know, carb city) were akldsdjfkasljfkfdj (that's me drooling still!). I even managed to find a bit of room for the amazing carrot cake - best ever! Server was cute, sweet and appropriately attentive. Other staff were very friendly. Even the 80s music was awesome, man! Reading this it sounds kinda down-homey, but it was upscale and trendy, Really. Definitely will go again when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!HeatherYDined on 10/20/2013As self-confessed meatatarians, we've been wanting to eat here for a while now. Love the idea of a la carte steak and everything was very tasty but the lobster mash was to die for!!! This might be our new favourite place in Banff. Definitely worth another visit to check out the bar downstairs and then again for the outdoor patio...looks like we'll be back a few times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell short of recommendationsAvisitingCalgarianDined on 10/20/2013We were looking for a really good restaurant to go to on our day's visit to Banff. Saltlik came highly recommended, so it was the restaurant that we choose. The service was very good, as were his recommendations of sides. We decided to share the 17oz. steak and then order sides and a salad. The macaroni and cheese was outstanding, I would return there just for that. The house salad (beet, orange and goat cheese was also very good. However, the steak was disappointing. Being that Saltlik's claim to fame is their steaks, this one definitely fell short. It was full of grizzle that made it difficult to eat, and made for a lot of waste. I would recommend this restaurant, but would say to make sure you choose your cut of meat wisely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great service.FoodeeeDined on 10/14/2013Title sums it up. We had perfectly cooked steak, scrumptious sides and gear service from the moment we walked in the door!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak in BanffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2013Definitely the best steak ive had in Banff (and Ive had some!), but you definitely pay for it. Appetizers were nothing special in my opinion, best to go straight for mains and then save room for dessert, the creme brule was excellent. That said for the cost of this restaurant there are other places in Banff I prefer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A decent steak restaurantdoyler29Dined on 9/19/2013Saltlik follows the model of selling their mains and side dishes a la carte. The sides are all large enough servings to split between two or three people. The food is good, not spectacular, but consistently good. My one complaint is that all of their steaks come served with a sauce or another kind of intensely flavoured accompaniment. If you're serving very good meat, you should really let it speak for itself. The dessert selection is uninspiring, but that's often true of steak houses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious SteaksValentineDined on 9/9/2013Excellent service and steaks prepared to perfection! Vegetables and mushrooms were good too :)
- screw upMommy45Dined on 9/1/2013waiter forgot to order appetizers before the main entree. The main entree was served first. Dessert had very melted ice cream, but we got it free as they ran out of ice cream. We also got one appetizer free, because of the screw up, and a very lengthy apology. They were very busy, as it was the labour day long week-end. But is was also my son's 16th birthday dinner!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent bone-in ribeye withKeroseneVIPDined on 8/29/2013Excellent bone-in ribeye with rosemary butter. I don't usually appreciate the extra fat, but this was very, very good. Note that everything is a la carte, so the side dishes are large enough for 2-3 people. We sat inside on a somewhat cool evening, but the outdoor porch seating looked inviting. The traffic below on Bear Street is much less than on Banff Avenue. My biggest complaint was the lack of high quality wine choices to go with the excellent food. Somehow they ran out of their best cab by the glass, and the bottle choices are heavily weighted to BC wines across the board. Now, I'm not a BC wine expert, but there are certainly many other great regions out there.Special Features:
- Excellent Seafood and SteaksAAGADined on 8/13/2013Excellent Seafood and Steaks and great for sharing this and that Great atmosphere and locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor service, thin cheap steakOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/13/2013Waiter made several mistakes and the restaurant was very unaccomodating to any special requests as to leaving out any listed ingredients on supposedly freshly made food, which indicates to me....frozen! First thing we asked for was bread and butter as we had a long day and needed something to snack on while waiting for our order. About 15 minutes later we got 3 mini buns for 4 people. Steaks were thin pan frays, like the old cheap ponderosa style steaks. Our garlic bread with cheese arrived after our main courses. Very overrated restaurant with the worst service I've seen in many years. Even the bill double charged me for scalloped potatoes. And although we registered at least 5 different complaints to the waiter, no manager was sent
- Somewhat Disappointedfoodreviewer99Dined on 7/21/2013We came here to share great Alberta steaks with friends from Australia. We were disappointed that our New York striploins were sinewy and not overly tender. Cooking steaks from Costco on the barbeque would have been far superior. Our side order of mushrooms were overly salty. Asparagus was pretty good, though. Also nice that they served some local craft beer.
- Excellent steak!CalgarymomDined on 7/11/2013I have thought about eating here before but always thought it was just another high end steak house. Pleasantly surprised!! Excellent food and service! Steak was cooked perfectly. Loved the sautéed mushrooms!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of Fruit flies withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013A lot of Fruit flies with poor service and served raw lobster. I would never go back !
- had a good time, waiter wasthebmanDined on 3/31/2013had a good time, waiter was very knowledgeable with wine choices , would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had just been to the TerraceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013We had just been to the Terrace Dining Room the night before, so had something to compare to. The food at the Saltlik was more money and had less taste!
- You can do much better.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2013Wanted to celebrate my wife's birthday with a special dinner. Both of us had the bone-in ribeye steak. I ordered mine medium and my wife ordered hers medium-rare. Our meals came out fast. Mine came out well done and hers was also over cooked. Our waitress did not come around after the first bites and we continued eating because we were hungry. Only after I ate more than half my steak, did she come by to ask how we were doing. We told her my steak was over cooked (I showed her it was not pink in the middle) and my wife's steak was not tender and she ate less than half. She took away our plates and said we appreciate your input so we can advise the chef. I doubt she did. We were given the check with no apology or comments.Special Features:
- Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013We all ordered steaks from the menu and all were very good and cooked as ordered. The aspargus and lobster potatoes were excellent. A little over priced. We were there on a Thursday night and it was very quiet not many customers.Special Features:
- Wasn't the first time at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2013Wasn't the first time at this location. I would say that it was a bit rushed. There was little to no time between courses. This I would attribute to the fact that reservations were tight. I guess that is a good thing for business. Just not really good for the diners.Special Features:
- Service was prompt and veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Service was prompt and very helpful and very friendly Food was fast to come out and tasted wonderful, only down side is for the price you must pay for side dishes. Great setting for all occasionsSpecial Features:
- anOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2013very pleasing experience, the food and service were excellent and the restaurant set up with the bar downstairs from the dining area was excellent.My only ask for next visit is to have an option for a Zinfandel by the glass, will definitely come back
- Clanking plates and watertroubleVIPDined on 3/10/2013Clanking plates and water from kitchen was noisy and irritating. Entree portions and inclusions seemed small compared to other restaurants in Banff and to their counterpart in Calgary for the same dish.
- This is our Favorite placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013This is our Favorite place when visiting Banff. We don't ever miss stopping in at least once during our stays. JoeSpecial Features:
- Despite booking a booth anOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Despite booking a booth an entire month early, we were given a 2x3' table shoved up against the patio doors. The table beside us would hit our table when leaving their seats and wait staff would brush against us in passing. Our service began very well but steadily declined as the larger tables near us were given attention and courtesy that we were not. The restaurant was busy and incredibly noisy. Had we happened across the restaurant on a whim and managed to get the last available table, we wouldn't have been disappointed. But we booked a month in advance for a reason, an were very disappointed with the experience.Special Features:
- We thoroughly enjoyed sittingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013We thoroughly enjoyed sitting beside the fireplace. The service was excellent from the moment we arrived. Servers were attentive and were able to answer all our questions prior to placing our order. When the food arrived, it was prepared exactly as requested. Amazing meat, delicious vegetables. The only down side to our visit was that it was quite noisy. That was minor, however, and I still rate the dining experience overall as Outstanding.Special Features:
- First time to the Saltlik.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2013First time to the Saltlik. I was blown away by the calamari and the lobster mashed potatoes, they are absolutely delicious! Sadly for a steak place the steak was okay. Considering I paid $33 for the steak alone, I expected either a better cut of steak or one that was a little less tough. As an Albertan I expect a darn good cut of steak for $33 and it was just okay. Like I said though, the appetizers and sides were delicious.Special Features:
- A great date night!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2013A luxurious dining experience with thoughtful and knowledgeable servers, perfectly prepared food, and a rustic decor that perfectly suits the Banff National Park location. We were not surprised to find that the place was packed, and we were definitely glad we made a reservation several days beforehand. The beautiful high ceiling and rustic wood beams were lovely, but did allow the sounds of clinking glasses and enthusiastic dinner conversation to carry throughout the restaurant. The atmosphere was not unlike that of a cocktail party, and it seemed that the diners (including ourselves) were having a lot of fun.Special Features:
- Great night awayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013My husband and I had our first overnight stay away from our baby and went to the Saltlik for supper. It was fantastic. Our mean was fantastic and our waiter was very helpful. We didn't spend any time in the lounge earlier but we would have if we had a later dinner reservation. Its very inviting and classy yet was showing the hockey game which caters to all types for people and evening. I would defiantly go back there.Special Features:
- Had a good time however seemedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2013Had a good time however seemed to be a bit overpriced especially wine list. Not as good a value as at the Keg.
- My family was looking forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013My family was looking for a nice place to have a nice supper and the Saltlik was the perfect place!
- Food was fresh and hot andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/30/2012Food was fresh and hot and service was always there when we needed it. Also did not have to wait long for food to arrive. Thanx for a nice night.Special Features:
- Trendy. Food not so much.Lhx3Dined on 12/28/2012Saltlik has a great atmosphere and decor. A stunning ambiance to best impress guests and loved ones. The service is fair to good and notably some waiters have greater skills than others. The menu is varied and appealing. Every sides are extra which is typical for a steakhouse where the plates focuses on the meat. Unfortunately, this is where the pleasant experience ended for me. The filet cooked medium was unbelievably tough and dry for this high class steakhouse. The "bbq best meat" sirloin fell flat with a piece of meat devoted of flavour if it had not been for the complementing sauce. The bill at the end concluded our disappointing taste experience. On the other hand, the next night at Bison was outstanding with more food at lower cost.Special Features: