Salt Wine Bar
225 Ossington Ave
Toronto, ON M6J 2Z8Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Salt Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://saltrestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 4165337258
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Dave Kemp
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Wine Bar
A word from Salt Wine Bar
Located at the top of the Ossington strip, Salt wine bar offers a modern progressive approach to Iberian/Canadian tapas. Salt is a bustling, cozy, communal tapas bar with great energy. Our guests enjoy artisanal cheeses, Iberian charcuterie and an excellent variety of small plate dishes. Chef Dave Kemp is strongly committed to using seasonal and local products whenever possible. Our cellar contains an extensive list of Portuguese and Spanish wines which complement each and every dish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Salt Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Ossington ›
Salt Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)notable wine list (29)special occasion (20)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (17)good for groups (14)hot spot (9)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Salt is a Ossington gem.Dlw0925VIPDined on 9/12/2014Delicious small plates, strong, reasonably priced wine list with emphasis on Portugal, friendly service and great vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night, great food, great wineTwamzDined on 9/5/2014I reserved a table for 6 for my partners birthday. We had a great night, ate pretty much everything on the menus and had 4 or 5 bottles of wine after a few delicious cocktails. It was all fantastic and the service was friendly, attentive and terrific. My only comment would be to drop the music down a notch. It was just a bit too loud for those at either end of the table of 6 to hear one another. The other nice touch was that they add 18% to the bill (table of 6 +) and they remind you that they have at the time of payment...many times I've mistakenly over tipped without knowing or remembering that the tip has already been added so I liked that touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSarahFabDined on 8/30/2014This was my second time at Salt and as expected, it didn't disappoint. Food is amazing! Doesn't matter which of the small tapas style dishes you order, I haven't had a bad dish there yet. Make sure you make a reservation as both times I've been there (Friday and Saturday night) it's been full. We will definitely be heading back, maybe when the seasonal menu changes again. It's like a new restaurant each time with the same high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food!TanyaVIPDined on 8/29/2014Visited Salt on a Friday night. Food was really good. Fried chicken and gnocchi were my favourite.Special Features:
- nice placeLB83Dined on 8/2/2014Food is fantastic and flavorful, service quick and staff intelligent and attentive. Previous reviews make note of the tables spaced closely together, which is true, but we didn't find it an issue. People need to quit being so anti social. Grouper ceviche + Portuguese Verde Vino = fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- exquisite faretedsmacDined on 8/1/2014salt was overall a great experience. Amazing service all working together and the food (tho maybe you'd want to order a couple of each if you're hungry ) was very tasty. My fave was the pork ribs mmmmmm. They let us sample a couple of their house wines before we made up our minds .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- culturelle416Dined on 7/17/2014Service was helpful and friendly. The food was great: we shared several different dishes and each one pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!TweetyDined on 7/17/2014I love this place and so does everyone I tell about it. Just tried out their summer menu which was delightful. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite!LovegoodfoodDined on 7/11/2014We went to Salt Wine Bar for our first time on Friday night. (July 11) I don't know that I had expectations, but even if I did, Salt would have far surpassed them. From the ambience to the impeccable service to the sumptuous food we were totally blown away. One thing most appreciated - I asked about wine, mentioned the kind of wine I like and the waiter recommended two wines (one red, one white) both of which were exceptional. And they were at the low end of the price range. That's always a bonus when not just the high priced stuff is pushed. It's pricey but well worth every penny for the quality of food and attention if you've got something to celebrate or feel like a splurge!Special Features:
- Ossington GemthornhillfoodieDined on 7/5/2014Salt Wine Bar has definitely earned our respect. The food was amazing! The staff was welcoming, attentive and knowledgeable. We shared 5 menu items(one too many) plus a dessert and each one was a gastronomic delight. We were a little gluttonous due to the fact that everything looked tempting. Great wine list as well. The ambiance was lovely. It was a perfect evening all around. We will most definitely return to indulge in some different choices. It was a wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tdotdinerVIPDined on 6/5/2014Its a cozy restaurant decorated like a wine cellar...very fitting as its a wine bar. Food and service was very good. However, the portions are exceptionally small....hence the server suggested at least 5-6 dishes for 2 people. We ended going to another restaurant down the strett for a second dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of NineconfirmedfoodieDined on 5/24/2014We were a table of nine for my wife's birthday celebration and the venue was perfect for a casual gathering. David did an excellent job of explaining the menu, emphasising that the items are meant for sharing and did a great job of pairing wine with the event. Given the context of the menu being made for sharing it meant an evening of tasting and experiencing many different dishes amongst the party. Great food, great service and a fun and spirited atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 64 reviews are from the Salt Wine Bar reviews archive.
- FantasticTinks19Dined on 5/18/2014Service, Food and wine were all exceptional. We were so suprised by the size of the food portions for Tapas, they were much larger than expected, beautifully prepared and full of wonderful flavourSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingAwesomeDined on 5/18/2014By far one of Toronto's unsung great restaurants. Everything about this place is great. Also, I'm gluten intolerant and did nt have to worry one bit!Special Features:
- Who put the sugar in Salt?StrawbladDined on 5/17/2014Outstanding night out. We love this place. A model of what restaurants in Toronto can be if they try.Special Features:
- Ossington OasishappyhostDined on 5/7/2014I was introduced to Salt when my daughter's boyfriend suggested we celebrate her birthday there a few months back. When my wine discerning colleague from Montreal was looking for a dinner meeting location close by a following concert at The Garrison, we booked a reservation. The combination of a great server, abundant wine and cocktail choice, delectable tapas choices, hit the evening out of the park. My visiting guests were thoroughly impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!gotthemunchies2niteDined on 5/3/2014This was our first time for visiting the Salt Wine Bar and I was a little nervous given some reviews that indicated the food was over-priced, the service poor and people being rushed to leave for the next seating. We didn't experience any of these things. Food was great and the portions relatively small but that is what tapas are supposed to be. Our waiter was very attentive and food arrived at a good pace. Would definitely dine here again. Thanks for a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant surprisescarlett1Dined on 4/25/2014we had been told that Salt was an "OK" option for dinner. Although the portions were on the slightly mean side, the taste of the dishes and the quality of the food was dynamite. it will keep us coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt - tapas barCarrieDined on 4/12/2014Great food, great service; however the dishes came one after another and it would have been nice to have a 5 - 10 min break in between some of them.... They need to learn how to pace their food delivery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Food!MuffyDined on 4/12/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here, and the tapas-style was fun and the cocktails were AMAZING. Neon City? That cocktail was delicious! The only issue we had with our visit was that we were basically rushed out; the waiter brought over our check just as we were about to order more food and drinks. The place is so busy with every table filled, it felt like we were being cleared out for the next seating. Still, it was a great experience with great food and I expect we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMichDined on 4/11/2014Salt has very good food with a mix of Spanish and Portuguese. Very lively atmosphere but can be a little too loud at times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was mediocreElceeDined on 4/11/2014I've been to almost all the restaurants on that ossington strip and I have to say that salt did not impress me. The food was okay but it was nothing compared to the other tapas style restuarants in that area. The crab avocado salad came with three pieces of tiny avocado. The one at foxley tastes way better an gives you half of an avocado. The ceviche and tuna were good but wasn't mid blowing. Our server recommended the salt cod stuffed poblano peppers and it was just mashed up fish stuffed in a pepper that wasn't that good either. They were really nice and the restaurant was beautiful but I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- Salt experienceBarstoolDined on 4/3/2014Arrived here exhausted/overtired. The comfortable barstools and the fabulous bartender, who asked me to describe elements of drinks that i like and then spun me up something to match called the Toronto cocktail, were the perfect antidote. Had a great night here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014Took our foodie friend to eat at Salt for his birthday and he was happy with the evening. I found the food to be better then average but nothing "wow". Not huge portions which I understand given the tapas style but I think portion sizes could have been a bit more generous. Ordered the paella and wasn't overly impressed with it, however, the rest was good.Special Features:
- Mediocre food at high pricesBombiDined on 3/27/2014The food was mediocre at best, we had the lobster paella which was soggy and bland and the salt cod filled poblano tasteless! Service is acceptable and desert was good. Overall way too pricey for the quality of food, I would not recommend it to anyone. I'm not going back
- Tapas DelightSenorTomasVIPDined on 3/24/2014Every dish was unique and well presented - need to come back to taste the rest of the menu options. Did wines by the glass and the two I tried were excellent matches for the food we ordered. Lots of unique wines by the bottle, many Portuguese but some good California as well. Monday night was quiet so the service was extremely attentive but I expect it is the same all week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place was amazingReviewerNicknameDined on 3/15/2014So- went here with two friends and didn't know what to expect. I've heard the buzz about this place and was excited to try it. Loved that there were lots of veggie options. The churros were ridiculous. I'm doing this no drinking thing and so I was disappointed that I could not partake in the amazing bar, or receive the immense gifts of the (famous) bartender, Nick. He did, however, create a non-alcoholic drink that was so delicious, I could have had a dozen. So yeah- go. If I could bring any food with me to a dessert island it would be the gnocchi. Seriously- it was soooo delicious I dreamt about it that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mouth Watering ExperiencePriscillaDined on 3/14/2014Everything from the friendly, attentive service to the bustling energy of the patrons and the ambiance was splendid. Every dish, every succulent ingredient that graced our lips was phenomenal. The winter menu features gnocchi in a porcini cream sauce and the tenderness and texture absolutely melts in your mouth. The braised short ribs were sweet, tender and fell right off the bone. Scrumptious. Worth every penny. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodangelaDined on 3/7/2014Many of the tapas need to be eaten straight away (shrimp, venison, tacos) which is difficult when you have 4 plates in front of you. this means by the time you get to each plate, you have spaetzel that has gone soggy, tacos that are a dripping mess with tortillas that are disintegrating and fried shrimp heads that have lost their crunch. The food was good, but by no means memorable.
- Amazing TacoELLotus2014Dined on 2/25/2014Great service and ambience. Amazing taco - love the duck confit! D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinks. QuiteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/21/2014Great food and drinks. Quite pricey and the portions are quite small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little gem!EbbznFlowzDined on 2/1/2014This place is warm, enveloping and perfect for a romantic night out or just catching up with friends. You can actually hear the person sitting across from you without straining and the food is delightful! Gnocchi, 5 cheese board and wild boar tacos are very noteworthy! Definitely a favourite find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The experience was AwesomeDinesoutDined on 1/25/2014I went with my family and everyone really enjoyed the Tapas style of eating. the food was awesome and the rate at which that served the plates was perfectly timed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceedingly medicoregjh10000VIPDined on 1/25/2014Price is unreasonably high for the minute portion sizes. The charcuterie was okay, though again - smaller-than-normal quantities of meat. The buffalo mozarella was fresh, but flavourless (as it is often wont to be, without proper seasoning, basil or some balsamic). Grouper ceviche was entirely overpowered by the citrus (as can happen with mild raw fish in ceviches). Definitely needed some more cilantro, spice, or - rather ironically - salt. The chorizo-chickpea, with octopus, was entirely flavourless except for the chorizo, and the broth in which it arrived tasted like warm water. The scallops in the scallop risotto were cooked well, but ruined by the fact that the risotto was about 10 minutes away from even el dente - literally crunchy.
- charcuterie haven!torontopopcornDined on 1/24/2014If you a big fan of delicious cured meats, Salt is the place to go. The service is fast and friendly, They also have amazing cocktails. Menu isn't big but enough to wow your taste buds. Notable dishes: Buffalo Mozzarella, Beet Salad and the Seared Berkshire Pork BellySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Celebration Delight!2CapricornsDined on 1/18/2014It was our first time at Salt, and all four of us being Portuguese, were very much looking forward to it. The experience was fantastic from start to finish, even the gentle way they handled us having to leave after paying our bill as they understandably needed the table for the next guests. Very classy!! Food was delicious, plentiful (3 tapas serving/person - 12 in total) for the table was suggested by our server and absolutely sufficient. Wine, of course was fantastic and priced fairly. To carry on the tapas theme, we ordered all four desserts on the menu, again all fabulous. Will definately try to return and will recommend. Excellent and proud of the Portuguese influence. Only comment, no spanish chourico - get the Portuguese stuff!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool but comfy spot, great foodLenskaDined on 1/18/2014Went to Salt on a Saturday night – it has a good mix of people, a perfect blend of "happening" vibe and warm decor, and isn't pretentious. Food was delicious; we had the Truffle Gnocchi (x 2 it was so good) and I've rarely had gnocchi so light they are like little pockets of air. Wild boar tacos are incredible, as was the Berkshire pork belly. If these dishes are any indication, the rest of the menu won't disappoint. Bartenders are fun, cocktails well made and nice wine list. Waitstaff are efficient but not overly friendly (all male, btw). Great spot for friends or even a date night. It's on the pricey side though (food alone came to almost $100 for two people). I'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BartenderZipsDined on 1/16/2014The bartender was fantastic and made some of the best drinks. Very interesting guy who catered to whatever our palette desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant done righthenleyDined on 1/16/2014Really enjoy this restaurant for multiple reasons. The food is very good with very few misses (think the churros little heavy). . Have really enjoyed the staff and they are very helpful. Food arrives at good intervals. The ambience is lovely romantic and calming room. And very much appreciate that the noise level is minimal with no loud music. I have returned from eating in some great restaurants in England and none of the restaurants visited had loud music which most places here seem to love. Thanks for not doing that. Really like this restaurant and will continue to return on regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasurePascalRothDined on 1/13/2014The creativity of the menu, the wine selection, the service, the atmosphere, the restaurant's decoration itself, everything is simply great at Salt Wine Bar.Special Features: