Salt Tasting Room
45 Blood Alley
Vancouver, BC V6B 0C4Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$30 and under
Salt Tasting Room
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.salttastingroom.com/
- Phone: (604) 633-1912
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Northwest, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Alvin Pillay
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Salt Tasting Room offers fine catering for parties from 5 to 500. We offer a range of options using the artisanal products we serve at the restaurant.
- Cross Street: Abbott or Carrall
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: The entrance to Salt Tasting Room is in Blood Alley between Abbott and Carrall streets. There is ample street parking around Blood Alley (on Abbott, Carrall, Cordova or Water Streets). Alternatively, there is a large EasyPark Lot located between Cambie and Carrall Street on Cordova. Note: you must have a commercial permit to park in Blood Alley.
A word from Salt Tasting Room
Salt Tasting Room in Blood Alley showcases the finest meats, cheese, and condiments in all the land. Our chalk-board menu changes daily: J.N.&Z. smoked beef tenderloin, Mike Vitow's corned beef, Agassiz Farm House Cheddar, Cashel Blue Irish Blue Cheese, Neal's Yard Lincolnshire Poacher, Fireweed Honey, Marcona Almonds and Ambrosia apples may be on. Create a tasting plate and pair with a flight of rare wines, beers or sherries. Dine at our 18ft. communal table deep in the heart of Historic Gastown.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salt Tasting Room reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (10)fit for foodies (9)late-night find (6)good for groups (6)hot spot (6)neighborhood gem (5)special occasion (4)romantic (4)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Cute spotSwissmissliDined on 10/25/2014This is a cute spot and cool concept, food was great, on the downside the cheeses were not very interesting, the portions tiny, and hardly any local options which was surprising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed every biteSarahelizcoqDined on 10/4/2014Yum the food was wonderful and the experience was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Food SharingKimberDined on 8/27/2014We had a great time, each ordering a plate of meat, cheese, and accompaniments and sharing them along with the wine pairings. It was fun but not filling. If you are hungry, this is not the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely visit!cocogabrielleDined on 8/1/2014My friend and I went to Salt to start our night for a birthday adventure and so glad we did! We ordered the chicken pâté with dried cherries and went with 3 meats and 3 cheese to share. And a flight of wine each. We picked a cheese and a meat, and 2 wines and let our server, the lovely Enlgish Julie choose the rest for us. Julie was spot on and did a wonderful job, not only in being hostess in her 'home' but in explaining each piece, drink, and food/drink pairing. We came to Salt as a 'starter and drink' for the evening, but let me tell you, the servings are more than meets the eye! We were perfectly satisfied and just the right full that we could barely eat anything else for the rest of the night. Thanks to Julie and the Salt team!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 592 reviews are from the Salt Tasting Room reviews archive.
- Unique idea for wine pairingsEatdrinkmerryDined on 7/24/2014This is a hidden gem in Gastown. Need to go down an alleyway to find it! Worth getting to, though. Great selection of local & international cheeses and charcuterie. You choose some nibbles, they match 3 wines to it. Small portions, so very light meals, but great for late night. Would be fun for a date or group of friends. Only complaint is that the brick walls and concrete floor make it a very noisy place. Good service, unique concept, and great food and wine mean that I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAnnaBananaDined on 7/5/2014The Salt Room was difficult to find because it is tucked in this unlikely alley, but when we finally found it we were pleasantly surprised. We choose 3 wines each to taste and a plate of cheese and meats. It was so fun to relax and do one of our favorite things - Wine tasting :-)Special Features:
- great stopandrea001Dined on 6/6/2014food was great - just know that this is more of starter place for cheese and wine. For us it was great after a day walking the city to come to the Salt and enjoy great cheeses and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Goooooooood....gregbike93Dined on 5/30/2014This was one of the most comfortable and interesting tasting experiences I have ever had. Sometimes a tasting menu can feel like a lot of work but the Salt Tasting Room makes it fun and easy. And don't cheat yourself by having less than 2 wine flights; great list and presented very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!FoodieFanaticDined on 5/25/2014If you love nibbling on a selection of tasties, Salt is the place to go! Portions are small but deceiving as you leave quite full if you indulge in a starter, a plate or two and a dessert! Been to Salt a couple of times now and already looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classy and coolrockmartianVIPDined on 5/11/2014I visit Vancouver about 6 times a year for business and this week stayed over the weekend due to meetings on friday and monday. A co-worker of mine and I met with a friend of hers for a lunch at SALT. I had read about it in a magazine about 18 months ago and remembered it as I was searching for somewhere for us to dine. Really cool ambiance, great server who took total care of us, and the process/sampling was a great experience for all. Will definitely plan another trip when in town again.Special Features:
- TastyfoodieVIPDined on 5/4/2014Interesting, super friendly and helpful staff and the food was great.Special Features:
- THE best charcuterie in townOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2014Look no further. Charcuterie doesn't get better than this in this town. The kicker is that they somehow come up with the best pairings that explode in your mouth! My first time here was mind-blowing and it's been consistent foodgasms since. Anyways friendly and helpful service with honest opinions by staff, very laid back vibe, great atmosphere, and I really appreciate that the music isn't pumping in your ear like a jackhammer (ahem, hapa izakaya :P ). Every experience had been memorable and I recommend Salt all the time ♡Special Features:
- Interesting concept with theGlobalFoodieVIPDined on 4/9/2014Interesting concept with the choice of meats & cheeses - great as a gathering place if you are not hungry enough for dinner. Good wine selections. Friendly servers. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/8/2014I read about this restaurant in a dining magazine and was really excited to try it out. The wine list and charcutiere selection was wonderful. It is the perfect place to have an appetizer and a glass of wine before dinner, or even pop by after a hockey game for a late night snack. Next time I am in Vancouver, I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fun alternative to a traditionaldavethegoalieDined on 3/6/2014A great place to sample different tastes with unique combinations of meats, cheeses and condiments. Small portions but very high quality. A great place for a lighter meal with an excellent wine list. You can get very creative with all the pairings to suit your tastes or mood.Special Features:
- Love Love LoveSam1668Dined on 3/1/2014What a great place for dinner - I would highly recommend letting the staff make the choices for you. We were soo impressed with the pairings and can not wait to go back. This is our number one place. - - - - If you like cheese and you like speciality meats and you like it to taste amazing with a glass of wine. Then THIS is your place. Incredible!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's winnerCJPeteDined on 2/14/2014On a crowded night, we found this restaurant a delightful find. We came from out of town to celebrate Valentine's Day and thought this was a great fit. Good food, though small portions. Wonderful wine pairings. Cool place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food and DrinkscoastallivingDined on 2/8/2014As the title says, everything was fantastic. They pair all of your tastings and every one of us was impressed.we will definitely be back. In terms of our reservation: I called to change it to 8pm and then they called the next day to confirm. When we showed up the reservation wasn't ready so we had to wait at the bar for 30mins. A little disappointing because we were there for a special occasion. They were apologetic though and gave us a free glass of champagne which was very nice. Only other room for improvement is that the small tables really aren't adequate for the service the provide. We had to put some of our food on a stool and put some wine on the window will. We ordered one tasting each so it wasn't like we ordered a large amount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for snacking and drinkingTwistedpoppyDined on 2/8/2014Service was great and it's a Great place for a midday or late evening snack and drinks, not so much a full dinner or lunch place unless you are ok with nibbling, I was as I'm not a big eater but some in my party left still hungry. A little hard to find if you don't know the area.Special Features:
- UniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/1/2014Very fun dining experience. Not for someone looking for a keg type meal but check it out if you love tapas style eating, amazing flavours and wine pairing. We had the server choose everything (all local BC food and wine), it was truly a pleasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone should try this!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2014I had the Dine Out special which was a Kale Ceasar salad, to start, then the "Best Of BC" meat / cheese plate and Chocolate Mousse for desert. Also got a wine flight for $25 more, so worth it. Three 2 oz pours that were all spot on! The meat / cheese plate came with honey for the cheese (divine when combined on a bit of toasted bread) a picalilly for one salamy and a grainy mustard for the other salami. It was all good. The desert was delicious too, generously topped with walnuts. Everyone should come here, if only to try out the tasting experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was an interesting foodCalgaryvisitorVIPDined on 1/27/2014This was an interesting food experience. The food was excellent. I had the cheese plate and although I was satisfied, it certainly was not a traditional meal. The restaurant was somewhat difficult to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great timeDashaDined on 1/24/2014Third time to Salt. Servers are always exceptionally well-versed in the wines and cheese/meats. Great vibe, very comfortable, delicious options. Look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neat placeluv2eatVIPDined on 1/23/2014Good place to hang out with friends. Great place for cheese, meats and wine tasting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceFoodlvrDined on 1/19/2014The wine was good, staff is helpful with introducing the right wine. Just that the location is a bit odd. I'd come back again.Special Features:
- salt deliversdinner42Dined on 1/18/2014we originally booked up salt to try out the dine out vancouver festival. But when we got there we realize got the regular menu appealed to us more than the set menu they offered for dine out Vancouver. We let the waitress pick our meat and cheese sample plates and the wine.we enjoyed everything and mentally that my spare was great the long table was a great idea as well. Will be back to try that out another time.we did find however the portion size was very small in relation to the price of the sample platters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasters Choice!FoodieFanaticDined on 1/18/2014Tried out this place for Dine-Out Vancouver and was very impressed! Will definately we back again! Excellent pairing suggestions as we added on the Wine Flight to the dinner which was a MUST. Really blended all the flavours together well and made the dining experience even better. Still salivating over the cheese selections :o) Service was excellent and the restaurant has got a really cool vibe and atmosphere. Being on Blood Alley it's a little hard to find but if you enjoy tapas style and a fun, casual atmosphere where it's great for get togethers or even a date night for 2, then this is a place to check out! Really looking forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/14/2014Great little place to grab a glass of wine and relax with friends. Not particularly easy to To find, it's menu could use a few robust choices for the hungry man. But for tapas and ambiance I give it a full rate :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot!WilmwinDined on 12/31/2013We had a great time here. The staff were helpul and set up our flights of wine, cheese, and condiments for us. The pairings were thoughtful, and the food and wine were of extremely high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we were recommanded thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/30/2013Glad we were recommanded this little restorant in Gastown. Got to taste some great pairings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good idea terrible serviceChrisDined on 9/21/2013As a lover of wine and cheese I was super excited for our dinner. However, you are paying a premium for the experience of pairing your wines with your cheese, meats and condiments. Our waitress had a basic wine knowledge at best. My friend told her that she liked Pinot Gris and the waitress proceeded to recommend a Riesling that was on the very sweet side of Rieslings. I asked her got recommendations and I don't feel like my pairings were done well at all. We were there for 2 1/2 hours and only had 2 glasses of wine. We would have ordered more if we had any idea where our waitress was. When we were trying to get our bill our waitress wasn't even coming to the table, she was too busy chatting with the other staff.
- I noticed a portion changepchaDined on 9/21/2013I noticed a portion change in the charcuterie. It was so thinly sliced that I was unable to enjoy it with my wines and condiments. I've never had any issues with my pairings but I found that I did not enjoy my pairings this time around. Unfortunately, I do not remember the names of the wines for I did not keep the piece of paper with the names on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too noisyAnnickVIPDined on 9/17/2013Small plates but great service but sorry, too noisy... and the street is REALLY scary, lots of homeless people around...
- Something differentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2013If your a foodie who loves international and locally prepared meats and cheeses, you'll love this place. Great wines with unique aperitifs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful foodDine4luvDined on 8/31/2013The presentation and interior were finely crafted. It's obvious the kind folks who work here care a great deal about the food they work with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!LindsVIPDined on 8/27/2013Delicious cheese and charcuterie paired with delicious wine by our knowledgable server. It was a little pricey and not enough food for a meal, but perfect for our late night snack with drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to find but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/12/2013Salt is down a small alley, we were sure it was not there as wondered down. Very knowledgable waiter helped us as we navigated some wonderful wine, beer, cheese, sausage and condiments. It is not dinner, but was perfect for a late night snack.Special Features:
- Good for a NibbleKaza2611Dined on 7/30/2013Great concept for a restaurant. Food was good but would not be adequate for a meal, but more to a nibble with some drinks. The servers were amazing though. Their knowledge was outstanding and they paired the wine and food brilliantly! The restaurant even created a special meal for one of our friends who was a vegan - and they had no issue in doing this at all considering the menu is mainly meat and cheese. Will be back again with a larger group for drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Quite EnoughfoodiemamaDined on 7/27/2013My husband and I went here for our anniversary dinner. While the food and wine pairings were excellent we both didn't quite feel it was enough of a meal to leave us feeling full. Our meal was more of a large appetizer than a meal. Again, it tasted amazing, but just not quite a meal (even with a salad to start).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visitTravelingScoffDined on 7/26/2013Wine is great. Service great. Tasting/ food portions too small to share much with others.Special Features: