Salt - St. Louis
Saint Louis, MO 63108Neighborhood:
Central West End
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Salt - St. Louis
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.enjoysalt.com/
- Phone: 3149325787
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am.
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Wes Johnson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Salt - St. Louis
The philosophy behind Salt is simple: we believe that the best meals have traveled the least from farm to table. It's a belief grounded in locally raised and grown ingredients paired with traditional techniques and innovative thinking make for an incredible experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salt - St. Louis reviews from OpenTable diners
- UnfortunateOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2013Unfortunately I will never be eating here again. Heard great things about this place so brought my mom for a bday dinner at 7pm on a Saturday. They were out of 2 entrees, 1 appetizer PLUS the wine that we wanted. The menu is so limited that missing these left very few options! Then the steak we ordered was completely charred to a crisp along with the veggies which looked and tasted like they had been mixed with the burnt scrapings of a used grill. Our visit was not worth the money spent.
- Salt needs pepperOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2013The restaurant is in a beautiful CWE mansion. Great rooms and atmosphere. Nice bar. Farm to table philosophy. I would like to like this place. Alas, the food was just so-so. First off, the menu was very limited. Much smaller than what appeared on the website. I had a duck burger that was served open-face with a slice of Irish cheese and a sunny-side up fried duck egg and some mixed greens - a lot going on, not much flavor. I had a tough time finishing it. And the egg thing is a culinary trend that needs to go away. There was a side billed as fingerling potatoes. They were just red potatoes. My wife's meal, a beet salad and some tacos was bland also. We had good wine but $12/glass. Chocolate torte and gooey butter cake were both quite good.Special Features:
- Very dead on a Thursday eveningAKKKDined on 6/27/2013Very dead on a Thursday evening for dinner, but all three of us, first timers at Salt, were very pleased. Don't know why things were so slow since the whole evening was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMoselleDined on 6/21/2013After reading glowing reviews, we found Salt disappointing. The restaurant was attractive in its old mansion setting, but very noisy--decidedly not the ambience for a romantic anniversary dinner. There was only one waiter for the dozen or so tables within our view, and we he was too busy to give us the attention we expected. Example: After my (delightful) Cosmopolitan, I was given no chance to order wine to go with my entrée. The kitchen was out of several dishes. My husband's pork cheek was tender and succulent, but the spaetzle was dry; my duck breast was nicely cooked but hard to cut with the table knife provided. The celebrated duck fat fries were tasty, but hardly exceptional. We are unlikely to return.
- Just OkaySWGWDined on 6/21/2013Very beautiful building. Dining experience was okay. Setting just didn't jive with the menu. Server was not very attentive. Food was okay.
- Approachable perfection.AshleyCDined on 6/9/2013I haven't lived in St. Louis for 10 years but often struggle to find new, exciting places to dine when I'm back. My mother isn't too adventurous which is another obstacle to overcome. Salt was a perfect solution to all of those usual hiccups. The location was stunning, the menu was phenomenal but not too intimidating for my mom, the food was amazing. I thought the space was just breathtaking and so special for a dining experience. Our server was so knowledgable and attentive. There were ladies lunching, couple dining together and my mom and I. We will be back again on my next visit. And I will definitely try to figure out an excuse to use one of Salt's rooms for groups, those look amazing!Special Features:
- New menuMichelleDined on 6/9/2013We got to try the new menu and the Benedict was outta this world. I finally got to try the trout and it was amazing too. The new flavored fizzy alcoholic drinks were very refreshing for brunch on the patio and the chocolate torte was thick and rich! Fantastic service and the bartender took care of us very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business dinnerSBMDDined on 6/5/2013A casual yet sophisticated environment to host business guests. Enjoyed the servers knowledge about the fresh food and nice wine. Would definitively go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service but not good foodBeckyDined on 6/4/2013I would say the service there is awesome. However, the food there needs some improvements.Special Features:
- Little foodCvanDined on 6/4/2013Service was outstanding. Jake was great. Nice place nicely decorated. Food tasted wonderful just not enough if it. I like to eat and if it is good I want to be satisfied. Would recommend to anyone but you will probably want some more to eat after you leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but could improveChurlsVIPDined on 6/1/2013We had an overall positive dining experience at Salt. We got there early so had the place almost to ourselves. Their pork special was delicious as was the wine we chose. The vegetable dish was just ok; disappointing that they don't offer a plain salad. And the lemon pancake dessert was disappointing; too rubbery and tasteless.Special Features:
- Yummy Duck!GinnyDined on 6/1/2013The restaurant is a find! The duck was the best I have ever tasted! It was absolutely delicious! My husband's martini was the best he had ever tasted. The evening was delightful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wanted to be "wowed"aboytuesDined on 5/29/2013Aside from a couple of small plate salads and cheeses there was only 1 vegetarian option on the menu and when it arrived at our table it was only warmish in spots, leading me to think it was not put in the microwave long enough. The server was accommodating and offered a replacement but by the time it came everyone else at the table was done eating and waiting. Needless to say, I won't be going back or recommending this restaurant to friends. Fellow diners reported their meals were better than they could make at home but nothing spectacular.
- Delish!TrufoodiesDined on 5/24/2013Everything was delicious from the specialty cocktail to the dessert.Special Features:
- Salt!!!LifeIsShortEatWellDined on 5/24/2013Excellent, creative food, served in a relaxed, yet classy atmosphere. We shared 5 small plates and one large plate among 4; this was more than enough food and allowed us, with drinks, to have a fantastic meal for about $100. We'll be back.Special Features:
- What an excellent space forLeobuddieDined on 5/24/2013What an excellent space for dining. Perfect for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt on 5-18-13JoanDined on 5/18/2013This was a dining experience! The menu was very unprepossessing so I ordered with no high hopes of a good meal. Boy was I surprised! I got the skirt steak and it was perfectly done...charred on the outside and red on the inside. The scallop we all shared was perfect as well. The Brooklynite cocktail--I'm from Brooklyn, NY, so of course I had to try it!--was all right but overpriced at $10. The steak at $24 was quite reasonable for its size and flavor. The wait staff was charming but the service was a little slow (nice not to be rushed, though). I plan on having my friend's milestone birthday party there next month, so that's an endorsement if ever there was one! Go to Salt and add some flavor to your dining life!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simplistic Elegance!4evermuvnDined on 5/18/2013I took my best friend here for her birthday and we were both pleasantly surprised. Our waitor was a little slow but it was not a problem because we were attended to by so many other staff. The food was rich and elegant and the cocktails were even better. I will definetly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited Menu - disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/15/2013I had heard that this was a fine restaurant. Checked out the reviews on the internet most of which were excellent so I had my hopes up. I checked the menu online and while the menu was limited it had several choices that were enticing to me. When I arrived, and received the menu, it was different from the posted one online. It was their "Spring menu" and predictably, my choices were not available. Our party of six, ordered a variety of appetizers and entrees, and most of us were disappointed in the preparations. The wine list consists of a limited, esoteric collection of global and domestic varietals. Overall, I was not impressed and would not return.
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/15/2013My wife and I celebrated our anniversary there. The dinner was one of the best I ever had. The restaurant is beautiful. The staff was a joy to talk to and very knowledgable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately, 1st and last time...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/15/2013Went into this neighborhood gem on their last night in business - which I was not aware of. The atmosphere in the bar area was extremely loud and I'm glad that we weren't staying in the area. Our evening was spent in the comfortable dining area which was very cozy. The cocktail menu was something they were known for and the Pisco Sour was wonderful - brought back memories of a trip to the Amazon. The menu was limited since it was the last evening of service, but I still found it to have enough variance so everyone (table of six) was able to find something which they enjoyed. I wish they hadn't closed their doors as we would have definitely gone back! Rumor is, they are coming back but under a different name?Special Features:
- Mothers' Day brunch = not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/12/2013I'd been wanting to go to Salt forever but somehow never seem to get my preference, especially since hubby works in the CWE all week and is disinclined to make the trek on the weekend. So I got my choice for mothers' day and went for it. Buffet is probably not their best effort. Roast beef uniformly brown, fried chicken dry, only hotel pans of rice pudding or bread pudding for dessert. The house-smoked trout and homemade biscuits were a nice touch, however, and we all enjoyed the brussels sprouts. The wait staff couldn't have been nicer.Special Features:
- Lovely brunch!gateway2dineVIPDined on 5/12/2013We loved our Mothers' Day brunch! The restaurant is a beautifully restored victorian mansion. The dining rooms are on the main floor and feel very intimate and elegant. The service was excellent and the buffet included a very nice selection. There is a small outdoor patio and unique special event spaces on the upper and lower levels. We look forward to another visit and ordering from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayBryanDined on 5/12/2013We went for Mother's Day brunch and the food was delicious! I was a bit disappointed paying 20+ dollars for a child's brunch. My toddler ate some pineapple and a muffin but I guess that's the chance you take with a buffet. The mimosa was fantastic and the Duck Fat Fried Chicken was tasty as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Small PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2013I had the halibut special and was shocked to see a tiny piece of fish under a small pile of lettuce. The portions for the appetizers are also very small ...have you ever seen three people split one scallop? If was served in a jar like a science specimen, by the way.
- Our waiter, AJ was terrific.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2013Our waiter, AJ was terrific. The food was fine, but the french fries was soggy with grease.Special Features:
- Fun place to dine. We madeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2013Fun place to dine. We made meal from small plate menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely Worth ItTimPigDined on 5/9/2013I visited Salt with a group of about 10 guys for my older brother's bachelor party and we all came away extremely impressed. The food was exceptional. Even though the menu wasn't exactly extensive, the dishes that we tried were very, very good. The one thing that may have been even better than the food were the cocktails, which were out of this world. My brother, a bartender and quite the booze connoisseur, had very high reviews for our drinks as well. Our server, whose name I wish I could recall, was extremely knowledgeable and did an outstanding job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique place in CWEOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2013I've been here four times now and really enjoy it. The food is great and it's a unique place in the heart of the city. Definitely a place you want to check out.Special Features:
- Bar seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2013We went here to have a few cocktails and possibly a small bite to eat. When we arrived at salt, we asked to sit at the bar. Tim was working, and this guy is the best. Their cocktail menu is about 10 drinks long, but I see this growing in the future. We ordered the andouille appetizer, which was house made and very delicious. Tim also talked to us about the drinks and what was in them. Also explained a few types of tequilas that's the have in house. I will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Service EverOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2013A server gave us menus & said he'd give us a min to look & be back. Never came back! 10 min after he left a server took a drink order for a table behind us so my husband said, "Make that two", just to get a drink. Then that sever came and took our order. Weird. We order a cheese tray, appetizers, & an entrée. All were supposed to come as separate courses. We got the first two about the same time. After those we sat there for at least 40min. We ask about the food, they say it will be out shortly. Finally we cancel it because we had to leave. The server had the nerve to blame us saying, "I didn't realize you wanted everything all at one time." No, but when you forget to fire our order with the kitchen I'd appreciate you taking responsibility!
- The menu is pretty limitedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013The menu is pretty limited but we enjoyed our dinner and would go back again.Special Features:
- ...and the hits just keep on comingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Loved the location and the building. Enter through an impressive bar area. Drinks to start - very well done. Followed by several small plates - smoke scallop, perfectly seared and presented, halibut cheek with poached egg, cioppino and pork belly all expertly prepared. Two large plates - skirt steak with pistachio pesto and sea bass. All extraordinarily prepared. This was our initial visit, but definitely not our last. Well done!Special Features:
- Worst service everOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2013Our server literally avoided our table all night. I had to get up to ask the other servers to get him to come over to our table so we could order. He would not place our small plate order until we ordered our entrees. He checked with every OTHER table he had and then disappeared in the back. When we did ask him to check up on something, he took 10 minutes to do it, took care of other tables and didn't ever get the information we asked about (whether broth was vegetarian). Our plates were hot when we got them, but the food had been under a warmer. I DID talk to the manager, about all of the above, he did nothing and offered to do nothing to make it better.
- Deserving of high marks allOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/25/2013Deserving of high marks all the way for around... but the serving sizes/portions have gone too far toward small. Majority of dishes in all courses are just a little too small- enough so that it negatively impacts my desire to go back or recommend to a friend._Special Features:
- I have been wanting to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2013I have been wanting to try Salt for awhile and finally got a night out; and we are regretting not trying it sooner...amazing food, beautiful presentation and can't wait to go back. The upsatirs is awesome...trying to fingure out a party to plan so we can use it!Special Features:
- Beautiful, romantic and as promisedTreaderDined on 4/18/2013I reserved a table for 10 at SALT for my wife's 50th bday. I had never been and only read the reviews which was risky to do for such a unique occasion. But I was not disappointed! The table for 10 was ready and in a beautiful room with a big window. The server was present and had great recommendations for us since we had never been. Instead of trying to "sell us" he seemed to genuinely care about our experience and made great suggestions. The portions were just as he said they would be. My wife said it was absolutely perfect! That's a great review from someone who has been to Eleven Eleven Mississippi, Fleming's, Vin De Set and more!Special Features:
- I had the Monty Cristo itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2013I had the Monty Cristo it was a great sandwich love the brunch menu!Special Features:
- Eclectic But DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013Our party of eight was disappointed with the limited menu--food, wine, and beer, all of which were of interest to various members of our group. The charcuterie were too limited in length and variety, and the small and large plates were too heavy on duck items and pork. Seafood and beef entrees were limited to one each, and there were no veal dishes! The "duck fat fried chicken" had a hard crust with unappetizing waffles. The seared scallop was unique and different, but one scallop in a jar--cute but not impressive. However, the striped bass was excellent and the skirt steak was good, the only items that I would recommend from the six items on "large plates." The wine list was abysmally brief and disappointing. I do like and know fine wine.
- Our food was off. I was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2013Our food was off. I was very excited about the menu so I had high hopes. We ordered red velvet pancakes to start. The taste was ok. I've definitely has better pancakes elsewhere. They were also thinner pancakes, more pink than red, and had chocolate chips in them which was different. They were served with frozen cream and no syrup which also confused us because it tasted like unsweetened ice cream. Not sure if that was the intention. For meals we had the monte cristo and the slinger. The monte cristo was good. The slinger needed salt and was soggy. Would I go back for the monte cristo? No, probably not. For $40 brunch we'd rather enjoy our whole meal. The service and ambiance were the most notable parts of this experience.