Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar
3605 Waialae Ave
Honolulu, HI 96816Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $31 to $50
Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://salthonolulu.com/
- Phone: 8087447567
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Dessert, Global, International, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Quinten Frye
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining room which seats up to 15.
- Private Party Contact: Danny Kaaialii 8087447567
A word from Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar
SALT is a modern-urban gastro pub bringing together the highest-quality local ingredients. Our starting point is Hawaii"s farms, fishermen, and purveyors. From there, we add an extensive wine list featuring unique selections from around the world, signature cocktails that make use of distinctive spirits and herbal liquors, and a variety of refreshing beers on draught and in-bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar - Best Restaurants in Honolulu ›
Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (18)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (10)late-night find (8)special occasion (7)romantic (6)notable wine list (5)good for groups (1)Show More
- Great little spot on WaialaeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Brought my lady here for her birthday dinner and had a great evening. Food was delicious, great selection of cocktails and wine, and a nice ambiance upstairs for smaller parties (up to 4). The service was very good, but did have several staff members switching off throughout the night, making it unclear as to who you were supposed to be ordering from throughout the meal. All in all, a great find. Don't forget to try the charcuterie board!Special Features:
- Salt Will Add Spice to Your Life!Hawaii50Dined on 8/16/2014Just about all aspects of Salt are positive for a restaurant. The food is fresh, innovative and delicious. If you get there for Happy Hour, the food selections are very inexpensive for what you get. Top it off w/ one of your favorite beers (I get Tecate & lime in the can because I hardly see that offered anywhere anymore!) and you have a great meal for a nice price. The beef brisket and fish tacos are wonderful (a bit on the small-side, but very tasty and for the happy hour price, a fair deal). The only bad deal were the scallops which were delicious but to get 2 medium-size scallops for $16 is nuts! The rest of the menu is fairly priced. All in all, I would highly recommend Salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findNYCtravelerDined on 7/22/2014Recommended by a local who swears by their happy hour kimchee grilled cheese, I thoroughly enjoyed sharing a plethora of tasty dishes with a friend. Cocktails are inventive & delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost our RSVP and our CheckOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2014They did not have our open table RSVP when we arrived, yet they had called earlier in the day to confirm. They took 30 minutes from time of seating to get our drink order. Food was 3 star. Service was almost 1 star, yet very friendly. They lost our bill for 40 minutes, and I was worried I would never see my credit card again.
- Hmm, how should I say Ho Hum?madandhungryaboutitDined on 7/19/2014It could be our own fault, but our experience there was Blah. Perhaps our expectations were too high, perhaps the loud double date next to us was throwing us off with the conversation of dying pets and how one young lady just could not stop talking. In any case there it is. That is not to say the food was bad, the food was well prepared and we would recommend the beef empanada and the fried chicken for sure. We did ask what the most popular items were and followed those recommendations but had to think to ourselves, if this is the best they do, I wouldn't be going out of my way to make reservations in the future, but merely a fall back position. The staff was stealthy good; there when you need them melted into the woodwork when not.Special Features:
- ENJOYED!luv2dineDined on 7/9/2014VERY enjoyable. We enjoyed several different " happy tizers " that were very tasty and presentation was unique. I, personally really enjoyed my hamburger (which two others enjoyed a quarter since the size was quite large). Sent the fries back since they were limp and had arrived late. We"ll be back!!Special Features:
- Great barAlohadudeDined on 6/29/2014If I were more of a drinker I would really like this place. But food is my passion so the high end bar food just didn't make me a regular customer. But for people that drink this place is very excellent.Special Features:
- Good small platesSarahVIPDined on 6/27/2014We enjoyed trying a few different plates while at dinner. They were all delicious, especially dessert!
- Food is tasty...ChuckDined on 5/28/2014But the service was poor- not from our waiter. He was attentive and got everything correct, but from the kitchen. The salad arrived first, then one entree (which my husband and sister ordered the same thing-but only one came out), then the appetizer they ordered arrived! My sister got her entree about 20 minutes after and my entree came out last about another 10 minutes. This isn't a 'cheap eats' place. They could improve the timing for food, but it did all taste great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The slowest service everRitaVIPDined on 5/24/2014I was expecting to be wowed at this Kaimuki restaurant, but I could not believe how slow the kitchen was and the fact that the waitress seemed to be intentionally ignoring us.
- Great staff, good vibe, so-so food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014As mentioned in the title, the staff are great and has a cool vibe. - Was impressed with the recommended wine as I should have be for $70.00. - Was very disappointed with the portions of the charcuterie plate given the price - literally 2 small slices of prosciutto / 2 slices of salami and a dollop of paté. We're from Tokyo and used to small, and this was small. The quality was high but disproportionate in price. - The tostadas with avocado crema, ceviche, radish, cliantro, uni were refreshing though no hint of uni was to be found in taste or looks. None. - The scotch egg was so-so. - The jidoori chicken was quite good. If in town again, I would sit at the bar for an after dinner drink or relax on a Thursday night.Special Features:
- Changed chef and food is horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/7/2014Not only did they manage to screw up the best thing off the menu (Elvis bread pudding) but they took off the 2nd best thing (butter gnocchi). When I asked why the bread pudding was different, the waiter said "different people make it" (wrong answer for a restaurant where you expect the same thing to taste the same) and he finally admitted they changed chefs recently. Limited menu with overpriced food geared towards foodies with exotic ingredient combinations--my suggestion: learn how to make the basics taste good before you start trying to create dishes that could be amazing from a more experienced chef.Special Features:
- The following 191 reviews are from the Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar reviews archive.
- Not badAllenDined on 4/27/2014Waiter was really good. But unfortunately the food was a bit hit and miss. Some dishes were fantastic. But the house-made squid ink pasta was a solid block of noodles stuck together and chewy as heck.Special Features:
- Good food, service, & ambianceVernLuvsSaltDined on 4/25/2014It was a great time from start to finish. Our waiter was polite, helpful and knowledgeable. He took our picture at our request. It was my boyfriend's birthday. When we ordered a dessert, it was delivered by a sweet young lady, who sang happy birthday to him. The salad, pupu, main course, drinks, and dessert were delicious! I will recommend your lovely restaurant to my friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014Really cool place. we sat at bar and the service was great. Bartender was very knowledgeable on the food wine great places in the area for hikes. They have the best hamburgers there with bacon jam. Best hamburger I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/9/2014Food was really good and inventive. Not your normal local style food. Portions where just right. The pork belly was insanely good as where the shrimp kimchi sliders! Great place for younger crowd or singles. We had problems with stairs so we where unable to go upstairs! the noise level made it hard to have a conversation with our party that was further down the bar. But that's a personal issue! Well worth the trip and maybe try other location without stairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not all it is cracked up to be.....JHDGDined on 4/7/2014Although SALT gives you the feeling that it will be a "WOW" experience, it falls short of that. With a very limited menu of eclectic dishes, at 7pm they were out of several of the menu items. One would think that the chef would have prepared enough to get past the 7pm mark, but alas he didn't. The online menu is not accurate either. The empanadas were dry...at $9 for two, they should have been much better. The beet salad, although tasty, seemed like one beet and a few pieces of garnish..for $12.00 it was terribly overpriced. The cuban sandwich was ok..nothing special. If you are going to eat at SALT, call ahead...check the menu..make sure they are not out of anything and make sure they have enough staff to handle the customers.
- High expectationsAlanPDined on 3/30/2014We really had a very average to poor meal. My wife ordered a hamburger, medium and it was absolutely cooked too much. It came with nothing. I had the fish special and frankly it was tasteless. The pork belly was fairly good. Overall we did not enjoy our experience at all.
- SALT so goodSweetDinerDined on 3/20/2014Food and drinks fresh, delicious, creative, amazing Staff very helpful and attentiveSpecial Features:
- Sooo longmae63Dined on 3/16/2014Took an hour to get our meal and it was Sunday and they weren't that busy.Special Features:
- Best dining experience in HonoluluPedroDined on 3/16/2014This is a bar with a difference: an excellent kitchen. Fresh, expertly prepared food with a creative twist, friendly staff, impressive bar and playlist from the 1990s. A treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food but service not so goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/15/2014The food is incredible, ORganic, unusual combinations, great beers and wines and a full bar. Service can be SLOOOOOW and the waiter we had spilled a drink, on the table next to us which got all over us also , but he did not even notice until I asked for a damp cloth. I asked for a coffee refill it was $5 would be nice to be warned on that one. and it all toook a very very long time. getting the check especiallySpecial Features:
- Wonderful late dinnerWaahilaDined on 2/28/2014Lucky we found a table for 4 that day through Open Table in the last minute search. Enjoyed the wonderful food especially their charcuterie and cheese board selections. We can not find these anywhere else. Thank you for being the one of a kind place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous Evening OutRWMandGLDined on 2/28/2014Salt came highly recommended and lived up to its previews. Reservation process went well, including confirmation, etc. Staff was gracious, informative, and helpful in a very fast paced environment (that included, in our case, relocating us quickly and politely from a table next to a very vocal baby.) Food is all it's cracked up to be, from the simple (the peppers) to the complex (bacon and space egg.) Your biggest challenge, especially if there are only two, will be how to choose. Alas, we did not have the time or appetite to sample more than four plates. One additional note: the cocktail menu is one of the best we have seen anywhere -- with, among other things, a tremendous take on Campari. Cheers to the crew front and back at Salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is a mind blowing808diningDined on 2/16/2014The food is a mind blowing experience to try, the wait staff is awesome! I've had some friends in town that I haven't seen in a while, and always loved your restaurant. The food and wait staff are always exceptional but during our dinner, the host approached our table without any warning and had told us that there was another party he has reservations for the table and that he was waiting 10min! Feeling very abrupt, we left in a hurry without finishing our dessert. I would come back here but that host sure left a bad taste in our mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Foodie ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Very trendy, great for cocktails or dinner. Split level restaurant so dining is separated from the bar scene. Colorful menu everything was done very well. Best rabbit and lilikoi dessert I ever had. Nice wine and desert cocktail list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great timeserryDined on 2/13/2014The food and drinks were great and delicious and the staff was friendly, helpful and really knew their menu. I really enjoyed the vibe of the place, the music really set the mood. Great time all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rabbit and winefB808Dined on 2/7/2014They have a local rabbit , that is outstanding done to a perfect match of crunchiness on the outside and tender on the inside. My wife was a bit skeptical to try but after she had a bite, we both agreed, this is a new top order. Must try it and it is local! The Sangiovese was spectacular and the waitress had great recommendations on vino and matching-Special Features:
- Always GoodSACJDined on 2/4/2014I like Salt. It's a surprising neighborhood gastropub (of sorts) that has excellent food that is a particularly good value during happy hour. Service is friendly, attentive, energetic. Prices are reasonable. Great place to meet friends pau hana.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where was the Salt44lunchDined on 1/31/2014I was a little disappointed. The drinks were interesting but not that great, the food was ok, should have had a little more flavor.Special Features:
- Rude and pushyFoodieVIPDined on 1/29/2014Service was horrible. If you take a 10pm reservation, dont tell me at 10:15 after my apps come out that the kitchen is closing and i have to hurry and order. Then our server Sarah M. Shoves a bill in my face while we were taking first bites of our main courses and i continued talking to my date...she says, can you complete the tip so i can close out? We're literally still eating and she wants her tip which is based on her service? I asked her, do you mind if i finish my sentence as she rudely interrupted me. She was lucky i gave her 10%....i should have left her 0%. Crazy. Sarah, tips are earned...not an entitlement.
- One of the very few - if notOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/28/2014One of the very few - if not only - restaurant in which you can get Gavi wine to go with your meal. Very outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- innovativeDDC808Dined on 1/18/2014the drinks and food are very creative and they're delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited Menu challenegeanyonecancookDined on 1/18/2014Everything was excellent, with the exception of having 2 item on the not availble list. We were there at 5pm opening on 2 items we were going to order was out. The menu was limited t begin with. BUT what we had was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slip and slideYearlyVisitorVIPDined on 12/21/2013Very disappointed this trip back and our Visit to Salt. We had such a nice experience last year there! But this year the service was poor, we did not get food delivered to our table (they simply forgot)....but the worse part is when you are greeted poorly at the front door by bartender asking "DO YOU HAVE A RESERVATION" without even a Hello or proper greeting! Then seating us upstairs at a table right between the wall and someone else 2 feet away when there were at least 4 other two tops available upstairs....apparently they were spoke for with other reservation when asking to move and being declined.PS, we had a reservation too.Food was actually ok, nice salad and tasty burger But it's hard to relax when you get off to such a poor start.
- Overall goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013The service was great, food was good but expensive and no extras (fries or small salad would offset what you pay). Cheese plate was great but small amount of cheese for what you pay for it. Great drinks, good for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers and other mainOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2013Appetizers and other main dishes outstanding. Did not care for dessert, too sweet for my taste. Service started out great, but faltered at the end. Waited over 20 minutes for dessert (that did not require any special prep), had to ask a couple times for it. Staff got occupied with a group, and didn't come by the table towards the end of the meal. I would go back for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Feast for Fit for All Foodies!PKlaniDined on 12/15/2013I've eaten at Salt several times and the food is ALWAYS ono-licious! My only caution for those who want a quiet dinner and want to be able to hear each other at the table, avoid Sundays as it is happy hour all Sunday long. It gets really noisy and it's hard to hear the table conversation. Other than that, kudos to Salt for the wonderful food! Yum, yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had been there once beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2013I had been there once before and was looking forward to coming back. This time I brought several friends along. The food was excellent, we all loved the appetizers, especially the pork belly! The only thing that disappointed me was that we had to wait for over an hour to get our entrees! We asked the waiter about it and apparently it was pretty busy downstairs for happy hour. We were paying full price so shouldn't we get our food served promptly? Once the food came we were happy with our choices and proceeded to order dessert. When we realized it was going to another hour wait for that, we cancelled the dessert and left. In the end they comped three of five entrees but I don't know how soon I'll be back.Special Features:
- We dine at Salt several timeslifeisgoodDined on 11/29/2013We dine at Salt several times a year and enjoy their unique menu items and great cocktails too. Luv the empanada!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.