SALT Kitchen and Bar
588 Wentworth Road
New Castle, NH 03854Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
SALT Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.wentworth.com/
- Phone: 6033736566x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 6:30am - 10:30am; Saturday and Sunday 6:30am - 11:00am
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ken Lingle
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: They can accommodate 10 - 20 people in a semi-private area of the dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Grover 6033736566x
- Entertainment: Jazz duo: Sunday - Tuesday; piano/vocal: Wednesday - Saturday
A word from SALT Kitchen and Bar
SALT Kitchen & Bar features creatively crafted regional favorites using fresh local ingredients to update traditions without losing its classical heritage. Savor filet mignon, lobster, or fish aside a warm fire or beneath the original frescoed ceiling of the Wentworth by the Sea. SALT Kitchen & Bar is the crown jewel of the seacoast.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
SALT Kitchen and Bar - Best Restaurants in New Castle ›
SALT Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (39)special occasion (39)fit for foodies (37)scenic view (22)notable wine list (22)vibrant bar scene (19)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (11)great for outdoor dining (10)great for brunch (8)great for lunch (8)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Remake of Wentworth dining roomkeithmVIPDined on 8/17/2014Nice redesign of the Wentworth Hotel diningroom. Somtimes this doesn't work out. Here it did. The food is still excellent, with some new twists. The Oak Long bar in the Fairmont Copley is an example of what can go wrong. It used to be an outstanding steakhouse. They redesined it for more Tappas style food. Sorry, but I liked the tradition. In Salt they kept much of the original design, but really neatened things up.We started with Flat bread Pizza. Really excellent(their new trademark)I also had a Romaine Salad,very good. I then had the Salmon,excellent overall(med.rare) Richard had the Pork chop, which was thick & juicy. For dessert I had the Gelato sampler(really smooth & flavorful)Richard had the Chocolate Ganache,very nice. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealFoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014This is the second time this summer I have been to Salt. This time was with friends. The food is fantastic and the service is top notch. I have some food allergies that they worked around with no problem. The seafood is excellent with many different dishes to choose from. You cannot go wrong with Salt. Get there early and enjoy a drink at the lively upscale bar before hand.Special Features:
- Mushroom ExtravaganzaTheGrandPoobahDined on 8/15/2014Great food. Used mushrooms in many ways......even if you don't like mushrooms, there's something for YOU!Special Features:
- Excellent!amester17Dined on 8/8/2014Salt is a great addition to area dining, with a beautiful dining room that is simultaneously lovely and open and romantic and, at the same time, is informal enough to allow for a fun and laughter-filled evening. The menu has something for everybody -- from delicious salads to a variety of entrees, including enormous flat bread pizzas with things like carmelized shallots and lobstuh :) Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Lovely SettinglanierprincessVIPDined on 8/3/2014Loved the small plate choices, dining area was very nice, fresh and new, neat bar setting in front of brick oven where you can watch the chefs prepare the small pizzas.Special Features:
- special occasion,bit of a let downMichelebDined on 7/27/2014Celebrating our birthdays we sent to SALT kitchen. Room was pretty but seating a bit bizarre. Our table for two was very long, making it difficult to talk quietly. Appetizer of Tuna Crudo very nice, Salt Baked Beet Salad also nice. My partner wanted the Surf and turf special (Wagyu beef and scallops) but after he ordered was told they had run out. He chose the Carne Mista Mixed Grill. Very small portions of meat, the lamb chop was the best of the dish. I had the Bronzed Diver Scallops and was disappointed. Though the Sweet Pea Raviolis were excellent, the scallops were tasteless. Not sure if they were old or frozen but disappointed in the flavor. Not sure if we will go back.
- Salt rocksOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/26/2014While the entrees are very pricey, the new lineup when Salt opened enables you to make small plates a meal without breaking the bank. this time we had soups, appetizers and small pasta dishes. All were excellent anf flavorful. Notable was the lobster bisque and special halibut and haddock chowder..outstanding. We will continue to enjoy this spot whenter for Sunday breakfast of a Saturday night out. Also Heather our server was exceptional!Special Features:
- Dinner at Wentworth by the SeaSherrilynbDined on 7/25/2014I had not been to The Wentworth since the dining room changed to Salt. Arriving my friend and I visited the cocktail lounge. The Decor is trendy, yet tasteful with plenty of social & quiet spots. No complaints on service or cocktail quality, but was disappointed that they no longer have music. The piano pipes music ( I had heard) but not on my visit.We were seated promptly and ordered apps to start.The lobster fritters seemed like they came from Sysco. There were 2 on the plate for maybe $10. The insides were cold. The Baby Wedge,focus on 'baby' . Nothing to rave about. The Beef Carpaccio was so dry and gray it resembled beef jerky. It was not even eatable and should never have been served. The main dishes were so so..Special Features:
- WonderfulPhilVIPDined on 7/11/2014Salt never disappoints. The food is always fresh, creative, and delicious. The newly renovated dining room is lovely, quietly comfortable and soothing. The wait staff is always attentive, making sure everything is as it should be.Special Features:
- Won't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2014Service was good but food was over cooked and cold.Special Features:
- NatiDined on 6/23/2014The food was fantastic and our server was very friendly and enthusiastic. The lobster bisque is a must! We will definitely be back when we are in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Historic Dining SpotbkusaDined on 6/14/2014We were really excited to eat at Wentworth by the Sea. The food was amazing, but the service seemed hit or miss. Our server was overwhelmed, it was clear that he had too many tables. The bartender watered down everyone's drink. A splash of soda water in an Old Fashioned was by his standards half the glass. After I sent it back, the new drink was less than half full. It was a busy night at SALT and the host and server were very pleasant. I was a little miffed when the manager walked around and asked everyone about their dinner except for our table. It felt like he stereotyped us because we were the only guests in our late 20s, vice the other guests who were all 30+.Special Features:
- ComfortableFrifredDined on 6/12/2014The food was fabulous as was the service. The decor was upscale. Very professional. Yet it felt very comfortable and not pretentious at all. Will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gemLauralyeDined on 6/6/2014Spectacular setting in the Wentworth Hotel. We live in Portsmouth and Salt is one of our favorite restaurants!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaltSaltDined on 6/6/2014Food was good but small tweeks could make it great. Staff was vey attentive. Outdated decore took away from making it great. Table was awkward and to long for talking .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GSK9VIPDined on 5/24/2014Excellent food and service. Table/seating style is a bit unusual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfectNicoleDined on 5/20/2014Went to Salt for my birthday. The food and service were outstanding. Our server Tara overheard it was my birthday, and when desert was served, the chef wrote happy birthday beautifully around the edge of my plate. It's these little personal touches that will keep me coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the trip!OrelseDined on 5/17/2014We got lost (roads and bridges under construction) but managed to find this lovely spot before dark! Hotel personnel, especially in Salt were gracious and accommodating! Food was excellent, beautifully plated.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in a Hotel in NHCityinNHVIPDined on 5/10/2014We dined at SALT for the first time and were surprised to see how excellent the food was, the service and the attention to detail. Our party of three had a hard time choosing what to have for dinner since all the choices were tempting, and so was dessert. The wine list was excellent and although they were very busy (the night before Mother's Day) the service was prompt and the server, Tara, was pleasant. We will go back since there are items on the menu we wish to try. Glad the Wentworth remolded their stuffy dining room.Special Features:
- Gorgeous and delicious !!!!!!!!!norabDined on 5/3/2014Wonderful food and atmosphere! Salt is such a gem. Stayed the weekend and although Portsmouth area has many restaurant we dined twice here because the atmosphere and food where THAT good! Perfect special meal spot- with great offering for dinner & breakfast! Also very notable is the high end comfortable, chic decor in the restaurant and lounge. Aneye catching bar with tvs's, banquets a fireplace and yes a waterview. Very top notch all around!!!Special Features:
- Unexpected find in a Marriott HotelLuluVIPDined on 4/23/2014Would have never expected to find such a high quality, creative and delicious dining experience in a hotel lobby!!! Beautiful decor-soothing, light tones in a historical setting but with modern furnishings and plating, etc. menu- large but divided into different categories from items to share, to entrees, etc...food quality and creativity was superb!!! Service was terrific!!! Felt like I was anywhere but a hotel lobby in nh!!! Will go back to Wentworth by the Sea just to fine here!!! It is sooo worth it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 421 reviews are from the SALT Kitchen and Bar reviews archive.
- Wonderful!DarPDined on 4/12/2014I've been going to the Wentworth for spa weekend with friends for years now and always dine in the Wentworth restaurant. I was disappointed when I heard last year that they were renovating and changing the menu. But, I'm happy to report that the ambiance and the food is still spectacular! I highly recommend!Special Features:
- We have been to this restaurantPhilVIPDined on 4/10/2014We have been to this restaurant many times. We don't live in the area and love to visit. Each time we visit Salt is also wonderful. The food is always fresh, creative, and consistent. The wait staff is always attentive, accommodating, making sure everything is as it should be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seaside resort ambiancefoodnerdVIPDined on 4/10/2014Quiet seaside resort ambiance with superb service and interesting menu items. Would be lovely for a special occasion. Here for a Restaurant week lunch - asparagus arancini were nicely crunchy, risotto filling not overcooked, this dish was large for an individual portion, but would be fine to share. Veal marsala was tender and done perfectly, it was nice to have enough wild mushrooms in the sauce. Molten chocolate cake was delicious, especially with the accompanying amaretto gelato! Wine list was reasonable and specialty cocktails interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An elegant eveningzgalVIPDined on 4/9/2014We started off with the scallop appetizer followed by lobster with pappardelle and halibut entrees...delicious! The wine selection was very good, also. Our server, while pleasant, did not know a lot about the menu, and at a top-notch restaurant such as Salt, she should have. It did not detract, however, from our experience, and we can't wait to return and enjoy another experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal!VandJDined on 4/8/2014Four ladies went for lunch during Portsmouth Restaurant week. All agreed that the food was excellent and each of us tried different things. There were several good choices in each category and the whole meal was beautifully prepared and up to high gourmet standards. I enjoyed all three of my courses, the shrimp bruschetta, veal marsala, and chocolate melting cake, and I'm a very fussy, gourmet diner. The waitress was very friendly and the atmosphere was good; even though we were at a very large table with a lot of space between us, we could still hear each other. Amazing. We'll return, of course.Special Features:
- ate lunch here as part ofbonoDined on 4/3/2014ate lunch here as part of restaurant week - everything was delicious (especially the chocolate cake - to die for!) waitstaff was knowledgeable and very accommodating - I look forward to a return visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKBertDined on 3/20/2014This was our first visit to an old standby in its new form. The decor had changed (it was nice), the service was still top-notch, and the food was so-so -- and not much different from what it had been in the past.Special Features:
- SALT was sweet!JohnTVIPDined on 3/16/2014SALT was a great find. I have seen it pop up on my open-table options list many times and while the menu has always intrigued me I live in Portsmouth and we typically walk to dinner. Very glad we chose to get in the car for a very short, and beautiful, drive to Salt which is in the Wentworth by the Sea hotel on New Castle island. The ambience is chic, welcoming, romantic, ... a great new addition to our local-best-of list; especially since the food was truly expertly created. Lobster bisque was fantastic, lots of dishes with foraged mushrooms, ... basically everything we chose was excellent. Side note: enjoy listening to the acoustic tricks if you happen to sit on the outer ring of the tables under the dome! We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful in every respectLocalDinerVIPDined on 3/15/2014My husband and I had a perfect evening at Salt. They have done a wonderful job transforming a large dining room into well lit smaller spaces with lots of glass. Everything was outstanding, from the service to the offerings. The choices of small plates are excellent. Our entrees were flavorful and hot; and dessert was a dream. It's a very creative kitchen. In the right mood, we would go to sit at the kitchen where people were enjoying delicious fare with camaraderie. That particular night we were up for a quiet dinner for two in comfortable chairs that we could have sat in all night and someone else doing the dishes! I have never given such a glowing review for a "product".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Salt fan.BaileyVIPDined on 2/21/2014We eat at the Wentworth Hotel often, and have been even bigger fans since the Salt renovations a year ago. The waitstaff is always excellent and attentative. The atmosphere is great. And the food is always delicious. If only they had more gluten free options, it would be almost perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!LaurenMcDined on 2/15/2014We had a beautiful Valentine's dinner at Salt. The atmosphere was fun, the food was delish and the service was just right. Will def come back with friends for the yummy cocktails and small plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014My husband and I came here for our Valentine's date. Our server was Tara...helpful and knowledgeable with the items on the menu. Great meal and service. Nice place...we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day WeekendSteve57Dined on 2/14/2014The V-Day dinner menu and ambiance was perfect. I had the lobster caesar salad to start and my date had the crab. We both had the sea bass for a main course. On Saturday we had brunch; didn't get down until 10until 10:45. The brunch ends at 11 so I had my doubts on how much would be available. We were not disappointed, the made-to-order omelette was lite & fluffy very yummy! Options were basic with 2 notable exceptions; a make your own Bloody Mary station and smoked salmon. The food was very good, the service were excellent. Saturday evening we had plans to go into Portsmouth but it was snowing, so we decided to try Salt's main menu for dinner. Offerings are many and varied and we were not disappointed. The quality was top notch.Special Features:
- Good placeEdFsVIPDined on 2/12/2014Like the variety in the menu (lots of small plates), great beer selection.Special Features:
- This new updated restaurantPhilVIPDined on 2/12/2014This new updated restaurant is wonderful. The food is always fresh and creative. The staff is knowledgeable and accommodating, making sure all is the way it should be. This is one of our favorite restaurants when we are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good. Expensive for what itbermudaonionVIPDined on 2/10/2014Good. Expensive for what it is. Asked for window seat in reservation and despite it being very quiet wuith few parties,none saved for us. Lobster salad VERY good. Delay on diinks . Barteneder 'left'. Finally someone else was recruiited to make drinks - not great news when you order fancy $$ cocktails. Drink was not cold. Decor beautiful & beautifully maintained; clean.
- food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014although my appetizer (prawns) and entree (bucatini with seafood) tasted quite good, I developed significant digestive issues several hours later. this condition never happened to me before.Special Features:
- Starting to worry...Foodies4VIPDined on 2/1/2014The first two times we dined at SALT, the food was great. There are lots of creative menu options and everything was prepared well. The past two times there have been issues. On one occasion, we ordered one of the specialty pizzas as an appetizer and it was delivered with a burnt crust. The server took it back and brought another one with no problem but it should never have left the kitchen that way. On our most recent visit, I ordered the strip steak, medium rare, and it was rare in the middle and not very warm on the outside either. Someone needs to be watching things more closely in the kitchen. We are hoping things get better because SALT really is a great improvement over the previous dining room experience at the Wentworth.Special Features:
- salt for youtuckDined on 1/25/2014We go there often, and always good. excellent food and generous drinks. The manager Dean always insures we get the table we like and overall always a great place. we have brought numerous friends and they all agree. the tuckersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.