545 Mission St
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.salthousesf.com/
- Phone: 4155438900x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30 - 10:00pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday : 5:30 - 9:30
Happy Hour : Monday - Friday 2 - 6
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Vernon Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 1st and 2nd
- Public Transit: Montgomery Station for both Muni and Bart riders.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is an independent valet in front of the restaurant every night except Sunday. Metered street parking is available. There are also several parking garages available in the area including one right next door at 555 Mission.
A word from Salt House
Salt House Tavern - A 75-seat, contemporary tavern housed in an old printing press warehouse built in the 1930’s. Exposed brick, original hardwood floors, 12 foot windows and oversized rusted iron girders. Contemporary American fare ranging from raw bar plateaus to local cheeses, appetizers and heartier main dishes. Wines from all over the world, local beers and an extensive cocktail list. Full menu anywhere you'll sit down - at the bar, the communal table, the front window counter or in the dining room!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salt House reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (115)special occasion (57)great for lunch (51)neighborhood gem (48)hot spot (48)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (37)romantic (33)notable wine list (25)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- interesting but not preciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/18/2014confidently composed dishes without the preciousness of an over-wrought chef. exceptionally curated wine list with some gems like Blackbird, but not astronomically priced. Needed a solid place for a spouse getting worn out by excessive dinners: comfort food but healthy and interesting. Recommended by a chef at another SF hotspot, Salt House delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked it quite a bitGBearVIPDined on 9/12/2014Pretty place with great service. I took one of my teams here for lunch. All was good but one of my folks had a chicken sandwich that wasn't pink but was tough to bite through and sort of hard to pull apart. He didn't tell me until afterward or I'm sure they would have provided another sandwich.Special Features:
- Great nightTraveller01Dined on 9/11/2014Great food (especially the oysters), great service and great ambience.Special Features:
- BobdiyaDined on 9/11/2014Food was pretty bland and overpriced. Poutine was decent.
- GreatFood222Dined on 9/11/2014A colleague recommended Salt House. We had a wonderful experience, great drinks, terrific, professional service, delicious food. Hope to return the next time I am in town.Special Features:
- 4.7 out of 5! Overall Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014Food presentation was very nice and the taste even better. Service was also very good even though we were upstairs and i thought we might get forgotten it never occured; Anna was always there to serve. Had the Halibut and it did not dissapoint.Special Features:
- Unhappy - ill mannered waiterkathVIPDined on 9/5/2014I'm not one to write reviews but I have always enjoyed this restaurant and Town Hall which are owned by the same individual. Our waiter was visibly an unhappy person who clearly resents his customers and hates his job. I truly hope that the restaurant views this review as constructive and makes an effort to find out what's bothering this poor man and gives him done guidance to treat their clientele a little better. I gave him the proper tip because I sure wouldn't want to add to his misery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well-prepared food but very noisySausalitoVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our meal was very nicely done. an understated corn chowder, water melon salad, and the fish. It was quite noisy and cramped (too clear an understanding of the conversations around us)Special Features:
- Good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/4/2014Food was good, the ambiance energetic. Service excellent. Some of the people I was with felt it was too loud to hear each other so a bit difficult if you want to enjoy conversation without yelling. We were sitting middle tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousORfoodieDined on 8/29/2014A group of 4 went to the Salt House for dinner, and the food was delicious, exotic, and well-presented! Additionally, our waitress was very accommodating and made the birthday outing very memorable by providing excellent attention, and a birthday dessert at the end complete with a candle on top. Thanks Salt House for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Nice but way over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014Good food but super over priced. $150 for a few glasses of wine, a couple apps, and 1 main and 1 desert. $75 per head for this was no way worth it. I left starving. The halibut dish could not have been more than 4-6 ounces. And was $30.
- Excellent for a business lunch!ShannonDined on 8/25/2014But make a reservation or you will have to sit at the bar. Try the Poutine! SUPER GOOD!Special Features:
- Nothing Like Town HallSirExpectalotDined on 8/25/2014I was wearing a hat. The waiter took it from me and placed it on top of a stack of plates! Then, constantly being addressed as "you guys" (a man and woman, both 50+), our order was taken. Me: "I'll start with the gazpacho, please." Him: "Gazpacho soup?" Just weird. Although the gazpacho and the other appetizer were quite tasty (although spicier than expected), the entrées were not: The $25 steak salad contained a few strips of very rare beef even though it had been ordered medium-well; the $25 sea bass would have been good if it had not been almost cold. The check arrived without a cover, so there was no way of being discreet about the cost or tip. Also, at this price point, I want CLEAN. Distressed wood can be beautiful, but grime is not!
- Business lunchFrenchyDined on 8/25/2014Good food, service and ambiance. Amenable to talking. Watermelon Shrimp salad was very good. Looking forward to another visit to try the desserts, which sounded creative and delectable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience ok food bad service.Dineout99Dined on 8/21/2014The restaurant really looks and feels special. But the food was average and the service was terrible. Maybe the food would have tasted better to us if the service were better.Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014Went with a group from work, and everyone enjoyed the food. Almost all of us ordered the 3 fish dishes, halibut, sea bass, and salmon, which were great. Service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food! Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Everything about this place was amazing! Our server was sharp and made us feel confident in our orders. Which we all LOVED! The only negative thing I would have to say was that we were sat late. But, that's because the restaurant was busy with after drink coworkers and it was also Friday. Nothing out of the ordinary. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to a friend or coworker.Special Features:
- Crammed in corner under the stairsperfectpatty1VIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was quite good but it was not worth it for us to sit in the laps of our fellow diners at a tiny table under the stairs with a noise level that it would be most kind to call energetic. We have been there before but this visit cured us, perhaps it was the Friday night crowd but there are far too many other restaurants in the City to try this one again. Maybe we are just too old to appreciate this ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent experience overalldwheeler11Dined on 8/13/2014I had a reservation for 2 at 7pm on a Wednesday night. I got to the restaurant an hour early, figuring I might be able to grab a drink at the bar while I waited. The bar was packed, but the hostess said she'd be able to seat me at my reserved table even though my friend wouldn't be there til our reservation time. Service was great, even while I was on my own. I ordered the poutine and pork loin, and my friend got the tomato gazpacho and stuffed chicken. The food was delicious, the entree portion sizes were perfect, and the plating/presentation was lovely. The rhubarb & rye cocktail was fantastic. Our nicely packed up leftovers, put into carry bags, were presented to us when we were ready to go vs. taking up space, nice touch.Special Features:
- Heirloom sandwich was fantasticMasVinoDined on 8/11/2014Enjoyed a business lunch. The food was good. Decent beer / wine selection. I've always thought the name "Salt House" was a bit odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place for business lunchSFJRMDined on 7/30/2014This was my 4th or 5th trip to Salt House for a business lunch. I have only been there for lunch but I would expect it is a good choice for dinner as well. The steak and frites was excellent. Service was very good. On this visit, I did find the menu to be somewhat limited as to viable options for someone who does not eat seafood. But there is always something there for me. (I always hope the pork chop I had the first time I went will be back on the menu but no luck so far - It was tremendous. Maybe next time!) Although the tables are quite close together, I found we could pretty easily have a conversation. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Always a delight!SFdinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014I love Salt House. I have been here quite a few times in the last few months. The service is impeccable, the food excellent, and the drinks...superb. If you feel like indulging, order the poutine!Special Features:
- The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014The beef duo was perfect, the best steak I've had in sfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FlavorsMikespeaks1Dined on 7/21/2014We were early for our reservation got a seat right away. Server was very knowledgeable and friendly. Not our first time there. Always greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak and salmonMorefoodpleaseVIPDined on 7/18/2014My dinner consisted of delicious gamay, and a steak cooked with Douglas fir. It was one of the best cuts of meat I have ever had. My dinner dates had the salmon, but this cut of meat that I was lucky enough to try was all we talked about. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It just got betterFlaneurVIPDined on 7/17/2014We were a party of five, hoping to have good conversation. When we arrived the place was packed, the noise was fearsome and our hopes for a quiet evening evaporated. BUT! We were shown to a mezzanine table (quieter) and once the menus arrived we were enthralled. One diner was happy with his wild salmon, two were ecstatic about their halibut with squash blossoms, another was euphoric about an entree of farro, and I had the best chicken dish... I've ever eaten: it surpassed vaunted chicken dishes from San Francisco icons. I have never been (and my guests would agree) so charmed by food. Our evening evolved from not so great expectations to promises to visit again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always great!millenniumgirlDined on 7/16/2014My husband's favorite neighborhood restaurant. Always orders the farro dish, different veggies everytime. Always seasonal.Special Features:
- Excellent food in SOMARestoloverDined on 7/14/2014The concierge at the W around the corner from Salt House recommended it, he was right on the money. The food was very good, the service excellent and the place was a beautiful space with a great atmosphere. We were there on a monday night and it was packed. I would recommend this restaurant without any hesitation...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurant!jujuphotoDined on 7/11/2014Diverse menu, amazing wait staff and the bartender is one of the best in the city! Everything we ate was perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mwkoaktownDined on 7/11/2014Lunch salad portions are small but pricey. Sweet corn soup was great.
- Great Lunch!Danni7876Dined on 7/9/2014I haven't been to Salt House for quite a long time due to my bad experience the first time I dined there. The food was amazing and the I'll go back for sure. Anxious to try dinner there.Special Features:
- Good food, but slow serviceLJinNCDined on 7/3/2014The food was really tasty (we had the halibut and beef duo), but the service was very slow. The place wasn't packed, but maybe they were short on staff the night we ate there. When it takes 20 mins for your drink order to be taken, and 30 mins to be given your check after your plates have been removed, something is amiss. Again, the food was good and the ambiance was really nice. But service suffered.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceJanButlerVIPDined on 7/2/2014We have been to Salt House many times and it always lives up to our expectations. The food is excellent. I want to complement the wait staff. Shannon was an excellent server who gave us many recommendations on both food and drink. Her recommendations were perfect. She was friendly and very attentive to our needs. Salt House is on our list of great restaurants so we will be back.Special Features:
- Good Food, Annoying ServiceSeekingServiceinSFDined on 6/26/2014The food, perhaps best described as gourmet versions of comfort food, is quite good. There are some lighter seafood / fish options too. The service isn't great, and the restaurant seems to operate with the all-too-common in SF Staff is King ethos. We told the waitress we were going to order appetizers and order our entrees after a little while. She replied "The chef prefers you order appetizers and entrees at the same time". How foolish of us. Drinks (beers and vodka sodas) took up to 15 mins to arrive. That might have been partly due to our sitting in the loft section, which perhaps isn't designed to maximize customer service. The vibe is good & upbeat, although people without good hearing will have a hard time conversing due to noise.Special Features:
- AwesomeAuggiesmanVIPDined on 6/17/2014Stopped here for lunch before a nearby meeting, and glad I remembered it from a previous visit. Service was excellent, and the food terrific. The corn soup was probably best I've ever had. Presentation awesome. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Food and Staff Equally OutstandingJetPilotNYCVIPDined on 6/13/2014Had an early Father's Day dinner. Food was fresh and inventive. Staff was beyond lovely. From the smiling, friendly hostess to the amazing mixologists (truly) Gabe and Kylie to our server Shannon...everyone made this New Yorker and his Dad feel like family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Salt House!RobFDined on 6/11/2014Salt House is one of my top 5 favorite restaurants in SF. The space is awesome! The service is stellar. The food is delicious! Keep up the great work!!!Special Features:
- Great ambience, a bit noisydinning101VIPDined on 6/10/2014The acoustics in the restaurant are not so great. We had 4 people, and it was a bit hard to hear everyone. I would say that 6 people would be too much if you wanted a group conversation. But it was a great ambience, and good food. Good for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for out of town guestsOmnivoriusDined on 6/10/2014An old friend was visiting SF from Texas and I needed to find a restaurant that was 1) easy to find, 2) served good food, and 3) had enough variety on the menu for the various dietary restrictions among members of our party. Salt House won the competition among the surprisingly few restaurants in the SF Financial District that satisfied all three requirements. The staff were very friendly and responsive. The three of us each enjoyed the menu selection and the dishes we ordered. The only improvement in the menu would be the addition of a dessert not made with dairy. The noise level at Salt House has always been energetic, but seeing as my out of town guest was full of energy that night it was in reality the perfect environment for our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved every bite!KatyDined on 6/10/2014So nice to get well presented, flavorful and inventive food. Hit the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.