545 Mission St
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.salthousesf.com/
- Phone: 4155438900x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Monday - Wednesday: 5:30 - 10:00pm,
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday : 5:30 - 9:30
Happy Hour : Monday - Friday 2 - 6
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Vernon Morales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Between 1st and 2nd
- Public Transit: Montgomery Station for both Muni and Bart riders.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is an independent valet in front of the restaurant every night except Sunday. Metered street parking is available. There are also several parking garages available in the area including one right next door at 555 Mission.
A word from Salt House
Salt House Tavern - A 75-seat, contemporary tavern housed in an old printing press warehouse built in the 1930’s. Exposed brick, original hardwood floors, 12 foot windows and oversized rusted iron girders. Contemporary American fare ranging from raw bar plateaus to local cheeses, appetizers and heartier main dishes. Wines from all over the world, local beers and an extensive cocktail list. Full menu anywhere you'll sit down - at the bar, the communal table, the front window counter or in the dining room!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salt House reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (100)great for lunch (53)neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (44)hot spot (40)good for groups (33)vibrant bar scene (32)romantic (26)notable wine list (21)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Worth the waitHarveyClanVIPDined on 10/16/2014We had tried on several occasions to eat dinner at Salt House but were thwarted by its popularity... and for good reason. From the moment we were seated by the friendly hostess, our wait staff were helpful, VERY knowledgeable and professional. The food was amazing. We had a halibut dish that was out of this world and paired perfectly with the wine recommendation by our server. And dessert.... leave room for dessert.Special Features:
- Stated well but fell awayOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/16/2014Very good starter (fall vegetables), but pork loin main course was overcooked and therefore tough. I feel the waiter could have comp'd us something because of that. Service started very well but got neglectful as it got busier. Main courses are priced somewhat high.
- OutstandingSweeandsaltysfVIPDined on 10/16/2014The burger was the go-to for lunch. Had an excellent dining experience with a 3-course lunch meal and an ice cold Belgian style beverage. Delicious!! Nice work Salt house!Special Features:
- Highly recommended. . .OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014Excellent service and food. Staff was courteous and welcoming. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- not so goodjanetVIPDined on 10/14/2014the hamburger was ok not at all great the noise was horrible the service uhhhh bad
- Really DisappointedJudyVIPDined on 10/10/2014We have been their sister restaurant Anchor and Hope which is just terrific. We were hoping this place would be just as good. Unfortunately it was not. As I'm typing this review I almost forgot what I ate. and I NEVER forget a good meal. So we had the heirloom tomato, watermelon and bur rata salad. It was good but certainly not nearly enough burrata. We both had the Petrole Sole for an entree. Again, it was good but not exceptional. Almost bland. Service was terrible. Upon serving our entree surely the waiter noticed we had finished our glasses of wine. Did he ask if we wanted more? No - he just served and left. I had to flag him down in order to get another glass of wine. And he wasn't even very friendly.
- busy lunch spotdigestif1Dined on 10/8/2014Friendly staff. Very noisy. Lovely duck sandwich with a generous side salad. We did have a vegetarian in the group who ordered the watermelon salad, but asked them to hold the prawns. After listening to our server explain for 2 minutes that the chef carefully combines flavors to make the dish (yes,we understand the prawns made the dish complete ) she politely repeated 'great, but I'm vegetarian. ' her salad was a half plate of dressed arrugula and a small 3 inch watermelon slice, with a fourth of the plate empty (obviously slotted for the prawns). We asked for an additional slice of watermelon, something the kitchen should have done intuitively. Otherwise, food was fresh and nicely seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experience...DinerSFVIPDined on 10/6/2014This place never disappoints. They are carefully serving good, solid, creative food with equally good service.Special Features:
- Great food, overworked staffdrwgDined on 10/3/2014The food here is amazing, the beef bavette was the biggest hit for my group. Service was lacking. One server seemed to have half the restaurant on a Friday night. While these things happen sometimes, I've run into this a few times at Salt House with meals that seem to take way too long.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/3/2014we ended up eating at the bar, very fun and great food! started with the heirloom tomato salad and then both had a fish dish, great service and fun atmosphere, would recommend and will for sure go back!Special Features:
- Good food but not the whole packageTalesToTellVIPDined on 10/2/2014The watermelon in the shrimp, feta, and watermelon salad was the most colorful, flavorful, and juicy I have had in ages. Very nice dish that I would order again. Staff were friendly but service was a little slow. We felt a little ignored after we were seated. The space itself is good looking but it is oh, so, loud. Don't expect to be able to have conversations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, flavorful dishesskaterDined on 10/1/2014We had a large group and they handled our party well despite being busy. My dish was great, and although I can't speak for everyone at the table, the feedback was quite positive. Good varied menu with nice variety. Not overwhelming, but I had difficulty deciding what to order because many options sounded so good. As for desert, there was consensus that the cheesecake was the best ever.Special Features:
- Loud & NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/26/2014If the restaurant is somewhat full, it will be VERY DIFFICULT to hear your companion(s) since it's all hard surfaces throughout. Food is good, service is good. Prices are definitely what you'd expect to pay in downtown SF or SOMA.Special Features:
- Great for ClientsHVHmikeDined on 9/22/2014I almost always take my clients and prospects here. It's the perfect blend of nice, but casual.Special Features:
- Great FoodChrisDined on 9/21/2014This was my first visit to the Salt House and I was quite impressed. I found everything to exceptionally good and my guest also comment on how good everything was. The portions weren't overly large but still quite satisfactory. The presentation of all dishes was very nice. The only negative was bass leaking through the wall from an adjacent club but even so this wasn't a major issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Saturday NightBryanDined on 9/20/2014Thanks to Gabe, Johnny and David for an outstanding evening with friends from Los Angeles. Our server was terrific and it was great to see that Salt House is as good as everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointed!JustgreatfoodandwineVIPDined on 9/19/2014I have been coming here every visit for a number of years now. Frankly Salt House keeps getting beter and better. Even the hostess this trip was making suggestions and making sure I took full advanatge of everything new. Went back two days alter and had an even better time. Don't miss it, it is truly a classic.Special Features:
- interesting but not preciousDCtransplantVIPDined on 9/18/2014confidently composed dishes without the preciousness of an over-wrought chef. exceptionally curated wine list with some gems like Blackbird, but not astronomically priced. Needed a solid place for a spouse getting worn out by excessive dinners: comfort food but healthy and interesting. Recommended by a chef at another SF hotspot, Salt House delivered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked it quite a bitGBearVIPDined on 9/12/2014Pretty place with great service. I took one of my teams here for lunch. All was good but one of my folks had a chicken sandwich that wasn't pink but was tough to bite through and sort of hard to pull apart. He didn't tell me until afterward or I'm sure they would have provided another sandwich.Special Features:
- Great nightTraveller01Dined on 9/11/2014Great food (especially the oysters), great service and great ambience.Special Features:
- BobdiyaDined on 9/11/2014Food was pretty bland and overpriced. Poutine was decent.
- GreatFood222Dined on 9/11/2014A colleague recommended Salt House. We had a wonderful experience, great drinks, terrific, professional service, delicious food. Hope to return the next time I am in town.Special Features:
- 4.7 out of 5! Overall Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014Food presentation was very nice and the taste even better. Service was also very good even though we were upstairs and i thought we might get forgotten it never occured; Anna was always there to serve. Had the Halibut and it did not dissapoint.Special Features:
- Unhappy - ill mannered waiterkathVIPDined on 9/5/2014I'm not one to write reviews but I have always enjoyed this restaurant and Town Hall which are owned by the same individual. Our waiter was visibly an unhappy person who clearly resents his customers and hates his job. I truly hope that the restaurant views this review as constructive and makes an effort to find out what's bothering this poor man and gives him done guidance to treat their clientele a little better. I gave him the proper tip because I sure wouldn't want to add to his misery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well-prepared food but very noisySausalitoVIPDined on 9/5/2014Our meal was very nicely done. an understated corn chowder, water melon salad, and the fish. It was quite noisy and cramped (too clear an understanding of the conversations around us)Special Features:
- Good ServiceRBDiner2014VIPDined on 9/4/2014Food was good, the ambiance energetic. Service excellent. Some of the people I was with felt it was too loud to hear each other so a bit difficult if you want to enjoy conversation without yelling. We were sitting middle tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousORfoodieDined on 8/29/2014A group of 4 went to the Salt House for dinner, and the food was delicious, exotic, and well-presented! Additionally, our waitress was very accommodating and made the birthday outing very memorable by providing excellent attention, and a birthday dessert at the end complete with a candle on top. Thanks Salt House for a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Nice but way over pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014Good food but super over priced. $150 for a few glasses of wine, a couple apps, and 1 main and 1 desert. $75 per head for this was no way worth it. I left starving. The halibut dish could not have been more than 4-6 ounces. And was $30.
- Excellent for a business lunch!ShannonDined on 8/25/2014But make a reservation or you will have to sit at the bar. Try the Poutine! SUPER GOOD!Special Features:
- Nothing Like Town HallSirExpectalotDined on 8/25/2014I was wearing a hat. The waiter took it from me and placed it on top of a stack of plates! Then, constantly being addressed as "you guys" (a man and woman, both 50+), our order was taken. Me: "I'll start with the gazpacho, please." Him: "Gazpacho soup?" Just weird. Although the gazpacho and the other appetizer were quite tasty (although spicier than expected), the entrées were not: The $25 steak salad contained a few strips of very rare beef even though it had been ordered medium-well; the $25 sea bass would have been good if it had not been almost cold. The check arrived without a cover, so there was no way of being discreet about the cost or tip. Also, at this price point, I want CLEAN. Distressed wood can be beautiful, but grime is not!
- Business lunchFrenchyDined on 8/25/2014Good food, service and ambiance. Amenable to talking. Watermelon Shrimp salad was very good. Looking forward to another visit to try the desserts, which sounded creative and delectable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience ok food bad service.Dineout99Dined on 8/21/2014The restaurant really looks and feels special. But the food was average and the service was terrible. Maybe the food would have tasted better to us if the service were better.Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/20/2014Went with a group from work, and everyone enjoyed the food. Almost all of us ordered the 3 fish dishes, halibut, sea bass, and salmon, which were great. Service was great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our fourth time at Salt House.haitchteeDined on 8/17/2014Brought my sister and her family here on their first night visiting from abroad, as we knew we could rely on good food here, and they loved it. Ambience is lively, and the decor (exposed brick, candles) is minimal but warm. Service not over friendly, although it is very attentive. Just not many smiles - guess I'd rather it was that way round though. Good wine choice and quality. Food to a high standard, although I have to say I was a little disappointed by my entree (the halibut), which was just a little dry. Otherwise, the rock fish ceviche with coconut and mango was bursting with complimentary flavors and the desserts (we shared a raspberry cream tart and an espresso mousse) were so, so good. Overall, another good experience.Special Features:
- Great Food! Great Service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Everything about this place was amazing! Our server was sharp and made us feel confident in our orders. Which we all LOVED! The only negative thing I would have to say was that we were sat late. But, that's because the restaurant was busy with after drink coworkers and it was also Friday. Nothing out of the ordinary. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to a friend or coworker.Special Features:
- Crammed in corner under the stairsperfectpatty1VIPDined on 8/15/2014The food was quite good but it was not worth it for us to sit in the laps of our fellow diners at a tiny table under the stairs with a noise level that it would be most kind to call energetic. We have been there before but this visit cured us, perhaps it was the Friday night crowd but there are far too many other restaurants in the City to try this one again. Maybe we are just too old to appreciate this ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent experience overalldwheeler11Dined on 8/13/2014I had a reservation for 2 at 7pm on a Wednesday night. I got to the restaurant an hour early, figuring I might be able to grab a drink at the bar while I waited. The bar was packed, but the hostess said she'd be able to seat me at my reserved table even though my friend wouldn't be there til our reservation time. Service was great, even while I was on my own. I ordered the poutine and pork loin, and my friend got the tomato gazpacho and stuffed chicken. The food was delicious, the entree portion sizes were perfect, and the plating/presentation was lovely. The rhubarb & rye cocktail was fantastic. Our nicely packed up leftovers, put into carry bags, were presented to us when we were ready to go vs. taking up space, nice touch.Special Features:
- Heirloom sandwich was fantasticMasVinoDined on 8/11/2014Enjoyed a business lunch. The food was good. Decent beer / wine selection. I've always thought the name "Salt House" was a bit odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place for business lunchSFJRMDined on 7/30/2014This was my 4th or 5th trip to Salt House for a business lunch. I have only been there for lunch but I would expect it is a good choice for dinner as well. The steak and frites was excellent. Service was very good. On this visit, I did find the menu to be somewhat limited as to viable options for someone who does not eat seafood. But there is always something there for me. (I always hope the pork chop I had the first time I went will be back on the menu but no luck so far - It was tremendous. Maybe next time!) Although the tables are quite close together, I found we could pretty easily have a conversation. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Always a delight!SFdinerVIPDined on 7/28/2014I love Salt House. I have been here quite a few times in the last few months. The service is impeccable, the food excellent, and the drinks...superb. If you feel like indulging, order the poutine!Special Features: