SALT - Boulder
1047 Pearl Street
Boulder, CO 80302Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
SALT - Boulder
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saltthebistro.com/
- Phone: (303) 444-7258
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Happy Hour: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table
A word from SALT - Boulder
The philosophy at SALT is simple; a belief that the best food travels the shortest distance from farm to table, that menus should change with the seasons and that the locally sourced ingredients, combined with European technique and innovative thinking make for a truly remarkable experience. Chef Bradford Heap and his staff have made a commitment to source local, organic and fresh ingredients whenever possible. The menu reflects this mind-set, simple, yet elegant and delicious. The wines, while sourced all over the world offer our guests some classic profiles, while introducing them to some new and exciting choices as well as a pre-prohibition cocktails with a twist. Approachable, but sophisticated. Enjoy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
SALT - Boulder - Best Restaurants in Boulder ›
SALT - Boulder reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)neighborhood gem (58)hot spot (45)great for outdoor dining (44)special occasion (43)romantic (32)vibrant bar scene (27)notable wine list (27)great for lunch (22)good for groups (20)great for brunch (12)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- Salt did it again!raftingandravenousDined on 7/8/2014I'm biased, I really like this place. We had a delicious spread of shared plates to start - chicken liver mousse, pork scrapple and a cheese, followed by the most tender grilled octopus, a veggie tasting, and our own entrees. The meats were seasoned beautifully, and the accompanying sides in proportion both size and flavor-wise to the main proteins. The panna cotta was heavenly, with crumbles and granita on top to play on the palate after a most satisfying dinner. We will, of course, be coming back.Special Features:
- Nice and slowBaroloprimo1Dined on 7/5/2014Good, upscale food in a relaxed and funky atmosphere. Service was steady but inattentive. Food was a bit long in coming but once served was very good. Noisy for the early hour of our dinnerSpecial Features:
- Great dining experienceNiwotDined on 7/1/2014Salt was new to us although we've heard good things about it. We were not disappointed. Wonderful menu with some very original items. We had the prosciutto wrapped cod. Spectacular. Chicken liver pate was a great starter. Sever gave us constant attention. Great time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2014Our small plates - cheese and parma were ok. We had the beets and the walleye - both were not spectacular. The walleye had a very spicy sauce underneath all of the balluga lentils. The spices were too much and took away from the sauce on the Walleye.Special Features:
- A Pearl of Salt on PearlSerendipitistVIPDined on 6/27/2014Although often too noisy to hear your eating companion, the cacophony is a good vibe. You won't find better food in this foodie block of restaurants in Boulder's West End. We had the grass fed tenderloin and the ribeye, both delicious enough to make our eyes roll back with the first bite. Attentive but not very smiley wait person was thorough. Put Salt on your bucket list when you visit this Historic West End.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunate IncidentFoodie79Dined on 6/27/2014Upon visiting Boulder, several friends recommended we try Salt. Unfortunately one of the vegetarian dishes we ordered had an unidentified object inside the gnocchi. My fiancé didn't want to complain but then proceeded to find a piece of plastic in the same dish!!! It was awful, the manager came over and took it off our bill and offered us complimentary dessert but we had lost our appetite. I understand that things happen but this was over the top for such a nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Truly fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/27/2014A wonderful menu full of fresh local foods. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Hit or missOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/25/2014Some dishes were great and spot on (chicken liver mousse) others were strange combination. For example, the octopus with kimchi and bean purée just missed it. Great ideas, maybe just need a little more finesse.
- If you want to eat in a dark cellarcmolVIPDined on 6/21/2014.... with an Opentable reservation and without prior advice
- SALT is good, especially cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014We just love the design your own cocktails. The menu cocktails are also very good. The food was good, but not my favorite restaurant. Usually the restaurant is much noisier on a Friday night, but this night it was pleasantly less noisy.Special Features:
- Salt DeliversSamBolderDined on 6/20/2014Sat outside on Friday night and enjoyed the food and the view! The flatbread was great - as was the Copper River Salmon. Really liked the fresh tasting lemon drop martini and look forward to trying the interesting 'make your own cocktail' which was presented on its own menu showing various combinations of unique ingredients. Returning is just a matter of when...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood restaurantYumyumDined on 6/18/2014Our service was excellent, the food was very good with creative chef touches. Fish of fish and chips had a very light and tasty batter. The veggie plate was excellent, beautifully laid out and plentiful. The artichoke was a little tough. It is a smallish restaurant and one could feel a little cramped but the noise level was not too bad. I would definitely go back, maybe at a more off hour. The food and service were well worth it.Special Features:
- Salt was good but had a few missesMikeDined on 6/14/2014The food was very good. The mixed drinks missed the mark with the bartender focusing more on show than flavor. Atmosphere is busy and bustling and seating is possible but not really comfortable since tables are Close to each other. All in all, a place worth visitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great location!DiningOutOftenDined on 6/13/2014Lunch menu was perfect for smaller plates and good prices! Enjoyed it so much, I took my husband back for dinner a few days later! Dinner was understandably more crowded (and loud), but we decided to eat at the bar and had another delicious meal with good service!Special Features:
- Stupendous freshnessKarmah2VIPDined on 6/12/2014Everything was incredibly delicious and the offerings were unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Undercooked/underwhelmed2AwesomenessDined on 6/8/2014Undercooked, sent back twice. Small portion, a little overpriced. Featured Shrimp dish for friend had four pieces of Shrimp.
- Salt-not so muchConiferfoodieDined on 6/7/2014This restaurant has the right idea-food fit for foodies but the execution is extremely poor. The food was nothing but dull, flavorless with odd combinations, fittingly they need to use more salt. The $12 mixed drinks were on the small size, even my glass of wine was probably half the serving you would get at a comparable restaurant. The service was laze fair-I had to prompt the waitress to bring me a wine list and then she walked past the table 4 times before my husband stopped her to then order a glass. The total bill including tip for 2 people was over $180, not money well spent, we went for our 11 year wedding anniversary, what a disappointment!Special Features:
- Saturday lunch - terribleFoodyVIPDined on 6/7/2014The six of us went there after the Boulder Sunrise triathlon and were obviously very hungry. Given that this place is right next to 'The Kitchen' we were hoping to find comparable flavors - were we disappointed. Every one on the table was extremely disappointed. We had to send the burger back because all we could taste was the bun. The BBQ chicken sandwich felt like a 10 year old put it together plus not much flavors. Dicky's fast food bbq would have tasted better. Shrimp and grits were decent and the glazed donuts tasted great. Not to mention that the prices were high as well, which would be acceptable if there is congruence with food. Overall, that was the last time I am going there. I will however again patron 'The Kitchen' next to it.
- My Wife & I Really Like SaltboulderfoodiesVIPDined on 6/4/2014We have eaten at Salt at least ten times and have never been disappointed. This time we went for an early dinner before attending a movie. I had beef tenderloin. The meat was good, but the preparation was excellent, especially the brandy sauce and vegetables. My wife had shrimp papardelle and totally enjoyed it. We complemented the meals with a reasonably priced Malbec which matched our meals perfectly. Service, as always, was attentive and responsive, without being intrusive. The atmosphere at Salt invites instant relaxation and good vibes. The staff seem to enjoy their work and one another. I can't remember a time when we were hurried or put under pressure to finish our meals. We'll keep coming to Salt for a comfortable, tasty meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing AtmosphereJosephDined on 6/4/2014A very relaxing location to eat lunch. Friendly waitstaff, with an understanding of customers who need gluten free items. One of the few restaurants with a dedicated fryer to make gluten free French fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't be betterSGSmithDined on 6/3/2014SO MANY appealing choices on the menu - I can't remember the last time I had such a hard time deciding what to order. Delivery exceeded high expectations - absolutely wonderful meal and incredible service. Love that Chef Bradford takes time to make the rounds, as did wonderful GM Vanessa. Could happily have returned the very next day. Will return soon and often!Special Features:
- Not for vegetariansMoegreenDined on 5/31/2014They were very unacckmodsting with their menu. I wa told by our waitress that she asked to alter a dish before and "it didn't go over well". I was limited to salad.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointingspicefanDined on 5/28/2014Each of our three of our main dishes was under-seasoned. The best items were the two orders of fish which were well prepared and the carrot ginger soup was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We're Only In It For The MoneyJDofBoulderDined on 5/24/2014Seems like many of Boulder's "really good" restaurants, like SALT, are first and foremost, in business to satisfy themselves, not their customers. I know that one can't run a business for very long without turning a profit, but I do not believe that customer service, customer satisfaction and serving a top-quality product should be secondary to that profit. With a reservation, were offered a table by the front door (previously we had requested a "quiet" table as far away from the front door as possible) - we were moved to mid-restaurant. After being served drinks, we waited 15 minutes for our waitress to take our food order. We arrived at 7:00 PM -- our dinner was served to us at 9:00. You do the math. Food: fair. Wine: expensive.
- MediocredinerDined on 5/22/2014We were taking some colleagues out for the eve and heard that Salt was a special restaurant with very good food. We ordered two appetizers and then meals. The Beef dish was great with amazing potatoes. The shrimp dish was bland and too rich. The vegetable appetizer was medium but the tortelini special appetizer was great. We were a bit dissapointed with the food but loved the ambiance.Special Features:
- Terrible service, unimpressedElizabeth28Dined on 5/22/2014I got a dish that they had to cook twice and yet both times the salmon still came back raw...to the point where they had to take my meal off of the bill because it was literally inedible. The spring salad had very bland dressing. Our server had to be asked at least twice for everything. The only other time we've been there they messed up our food so bad that we got at least a couple of things taken off of the bill without asking...I'd rather just have a good experience, especially with those kinds of prices, and both times it was a special occasion that I wish I'd spent at a restaurant that knew what they were doing. Needless to say, won't be returning nor would I recommend to vegetarians/pescetarians.
- Salt Rocks!BoulderMomDined on 5/19/2014I'm so glad that Salt now takes reservations for all sizes of parties. It's one of our favorite places for many reasons, including Tom's Tavern nostalgia. This time my son chose it for his 23rd birthday celebration with us.Special Features:
- SALT reviewboulderdinerDined on 5/18/2014I took my parents and a friend to SALT for dinner last Sunday night. I had been previously in 2012 and had a great experience, but this time was a bit disappointing. We were seated inside and the HVAC system appeared to be not working correctly as it was very warm. This was not resolved or even really addressed. Service was also slow and inattentive with staff barely glancing our direction. I am not sure if they were short servers but important items were missed or just extremely tardy. We had to call for the server three times for trivial items. After going to John Elways in Cherry Creek the previous evening where service is second to none, this was a big letdown for a comparatively priced meal.
- would not returnMidgeVIPDined on 5/18/2014The service was terrible, no one seemed to know who was waiting on which table. It took forever to order and then get our food. The food was just mediocre although the fish dish was good. We would not return.
- Mother's DayKahunaDined on 5/11/2014We were able to have brunch, when only dinner was advertised, which was great. We had first seating, so initial service was a little slow, but after things got fired up, everything was OK. Took a while to make coffee.... Both meals were super. It's a nice treat to come out. Oh, and the coffee was great!Special Features:
- Excellent brunchluv2dineDined on 5/11/2014Food was great and really enjoyed the surroundings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some good some badDisappointedmomday2Dined on 5/10/2014Our dish was amazing. We had the beef burgunion. My parents on the other hand had the buffalo lamb special and it was so gritty and fatty I am surprised they didn't send it back. It was for Mother's Day that we decided to come and unfortunately her dish was less than desirable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014Salt has always been a favorite of mine but it was not up to par for my graduation dinner. While I have always enjoyed the menu, it was mainly pork (a meat I am not fond of). I had a very hard time trying to figure out what it was that I wanted since the menu was limited and not in a good way. I did enjoy my lasagna and the ambiance. Their strawberry lemonades were delicious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favoriteKatieMVIPDined on 5/6/2014Salt never disappoints! We love the create, seasonally changing menu. Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The last musselnomoremusselsDined on 5/6/2014The food was fresh and inviting. The veggies taster was varied and delicious. The cod was rustic and prepared very well, the mussels were good until the very last one, which was so bad it had to be spit out. Fortunately it was the last one, so the dish was not spoiled until the very last bite. The lemon coconut cake was very good, moist and a good flavor combination the the cherry mousse. Our server was excellent also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How sad!TasterVIPDined on 5/5/2014For a restaurant that has been terrific, this experience was a great disappointment. Food wasn't great, and service was really poor. Waiter was hardly present.
- SALT is simply the bestJerryBDined on 5/5/2014We love everything about SALT. The food is always great, the service attentive and the setting in Boulder so pleasant. We just keep coming back when we want a special dining experience.Special Features:
- Outdoor seating at SALTOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014Seating on the south side of Salt is incredibly cramped and uncomfortable. If there were, literally, two more inches between chairs, then it would be cozy. As it was, we had to step over people and cram ourselves into the table. If you can convince them, sit on the east side instead. The one advantage of the south side is the view of the mountains and the people watching on Pearl.
- Best lemonadeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/3/2014I took my Nieces while they were visiting from Baltimore. We loved Salt, the best lemonade EVER! Also, Hanna B was the most attentive waitperson we have ever seen!Special Features:
- Happy Hour and DinnerNettyDined on 4/30/2014Love their "create your own" cocktail option - and for the happy hour price you can't beat it. Made some yummy concoctions and the bartenders were great. Dinner was really nice. My husband's chicken was huge and well prepared (although his potatoes were a bit undercooked). Us ladies both got the gnocchi, which was very flavorful but could have used a tad more pork, as the portions were average to small, so not a ton of protein on there. Our other friend had the Cod which looked amazing and he said was wonderful. Overall a nice experience, very good service, and loved the bar.Special Features: