SALT at Station 22
2205 Middle Street
Sullivans Island, SC 29482Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
SALT at Station 22
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saltstation22.com/
- Phone: (843) 883-3355
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5:00 pm -9:00 pm
Friday & Saturday 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Sunday Brunch 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
Sunday Bar Menu 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Sunday Dinner 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Happy Hour Monday - Friday 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Laird Boles
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from SALT at Station 22
Originally built in 1987 as Station 22 Restaurant, SALT is the newest incarnation of a Sullivan’s Island tradition. Located on the Middle Street strip “in the center of it all,” SALT offers an open air patio, raw bar, daily menu, and signature cocktails. Guests will enjoy the Charleston native Chef Laird Boles’ take on southern staples such as grits and fried chicken and revel in the novelty of fresh ceviche made from the days catch and dishes featuring produce sourced from local farms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
SALT at Station 22 - Best Restaurants in Sullivan's Island ›
SALT at Station 22 reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (54)great for outdoor dining (46)vibrant bar scene (33)good for groups (28)hot spot (25)special occasion (22)kid-friendly (13)romantic (11)notable wine list (10)scenic view (8)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (4)Show More
- disappointed in some thingsmarnotDined on 11/22/2014The menu was nothing like the menu online. There were few choices we were interested in. My shrimp and grits were okay, but the pizza my husband ordered was terrible. The crab beignets were very good.
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014Service was excellent! Food was terrific!! Made for another great Sullivan Island evening with friends!! Restaurant is upstairs & I wonder if their is handicap access for ADA guests??Special Features:
- Good Food - Good FindBorn2eatDined on 11/8/2014Everyone in our party of 4 really enjoyed their dinner and the special attention we received. Our waiter was very accommodating and spent a good amount of time explaining the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious & great customer serviceChrisDined on 11/4/2014We really enjoyed our recent experience at SALT. The pizza was phenomenal, the salad fresh and tasty, and the soup surprisingly rich and excellent depth in flavor. Highly recommend this venue!Special Features:
- Surprising findDrakeVIPDined on 10/31/2014First time dining there. Best Caesar salad ever and the black sea bass was amazing!!highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic gem on SILane0115VIPDined on 10/14/2014The old Station 22 was great, but SALT takes the cake! We sat outside, which was perfect for a great fall night. Their seafood was fresh, but unique. The grouper with curry sauce was FANTASTIC as was the salmon. Fresh fish with a unique twist. Fantastic wine selection as well. The waiter was very knowledgable about their wine, even offering us a taste before we bought a bottle. Also definitely recommend their ceviche appetizer. Seriously, you can't go wrong here. If you're at the beach, and want seafood, SALT is where its at.Special Features:
- Pretty good placeJBurrDined on 10/14/2014This restaurant replaces Station 22 on Sullivan's Island with updated decor and an updated menu. The old saltiness of Station 22 is being replaced by more upscale entrees and upscale prices. The food was OK, but not that great. Be prepared to shell out some dough for some dishes.Special Features:
- JoniDined on 10/4/2014Food great, service really good, but the football crowd on Saturday night was obnoxious and disruptive to any one there for dinner.Special Features:
- Always impressivebobandannDined on 10/1/2014Salt is our go-to restaurant - we eat there at least once or more a month. Service is always friendly and professional. Innovative main dishes, as well as burgers and pizza for the less adventurous. Latest visit we had Redfish - just arrived that morning with fresh autumn vegetables, and an outstanding house-made pasta with tiny tender bay scallops, basil, veggies in a light lemon broth. Salads are not just a bowl of lettuces, but always include seasonal ingredients and dressings. Don't miss the soup whatever it may be. Prices are a little bit higher that the surrounding "beach joints" - but it is well worth it.Special Features:
- BVdinersDined on 9/23/2014My first visit since the restaurant was Station 22. We were delighted with the entire experience. The Caesar salad was fabulous and we tried both the salmon and the snapper. Both exceeded our expectations, especially the snapper, which was a culinary delight to behold.Special Features:
- BRUNCHwaterboyDined on 9/21/2014Great time, great food, awesome weather. What a start to the daySpecial Features:
- Amazing food and atmosphereCivilChuckDined on 9/20/2014It hasn't changed since the years it was once Station 22. Fish was cooked to perfection. Great service with an upbeat attitude. Highly recommend this for anniversary dinner or just a night out with friends. Classy and a hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SurpriseDianaDined on 9/19/2014As a longtime fan of Atlanticville, I was not convinced SALT could fill those shoes. Well, i was flabbergasted; SALT measured up and surpassed any expectation I had. This weekend I took two 'foodie' friends, one a gourmet cook, there for dinner. Among us we had fried chicken livers, blue crab beignets, SAFFRON LINGUINI WITH MUSSELS (YUM!), oysters on the HS and assorted vegetables. I said "among us" because we kept telling each other, 'you just have to try this.' Going back with my husband this week; can't wait for him to experience SALT> It zoomed to the top of my Favorite Restaurant list.Special Features:
- SolidSolidDined on 9/13/2014Food was very good, waiter was knowledgeable of the menu, even "into" knowing details of food / beverage selections. Decor is modest, but overall atmosphere is upbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good experiencelocalflavorDined on 9/12/2014The food was very good - we had shrimp & grits and the swordfish. The atmosphere was nice, except that we didn't get to be a part of it. Even though we had made a reservation, we were placed in the back corner of the restaurant by the back door. All we really saw were staff using the back door for clean up, etc. Our wait person was friendly, knowledgeable about the menu and provided excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Best salmon I've ever had. Really great appetizers too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatbobandannDined on 9/11/2014Our favorite restaurant East of the Cooper. Excellent service, from being seated at the table we request on our reservation, to intelligent, affable wait service. Varied menu - pizza to thoughtful, perfectly prepared main courses. WE eat there on an average of once a month or more, never had a bad meal. The most recent visit we had incredible perfectly grilled swordfish with local vegetables. Started with watermelon/tomato salad - heirloom tomatoes were received from a nearby farm that morning. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceDIFoodieDined on 9/11/2014Went for restaurant week and SALT did not disappoint. We normally do Sunday brunch here which is great. Dinner was fabulous! I had the short ribs, the salmon tartare, and the pecan pie bar and loved everything!!Special Features:
- 12345444444444444Dined on 9/10/2014The best soup I have ever had. The entire menu was delicious. The dessert was better than Kaminskis. The beer list was great. I will be back again!Special Features:
- Very happy!HappyDined on 9/9/2014We came to SALT during Restaurant Week and we are so glad we did! The food was perfect. We will be back to try out the raw bar and the outside front porch looks so inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would return!ZeeJay04Dined on 9/9/2014It wasn't a screaming, across the board, amazing meal, but it was pretty dang good! Overall it was hard to rate because there was some average food, but also some amazing bites! I think the livers, if you're a fan of chicken livers, is a fantastic choice, but the corn soup failed to impress. In general I felt the entrees were good, but the coconut cake & peach cobbler were not. Truly I'd give this more of a 3.5 rating but that's not an option and I don't think it was strong enough to warrant a 4. I appreciated the free valet parking as well as the excellent service! I plan to return one day to give their menu another try. We saw LOTS of yummy options being delivered to the nearby tables plus my friend's burger looked pretty dang tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - OK ServiceHeatherVIPDined on 9/6/2014We will definitely go back and sit outside. The food was better than expected, with standouts being the tomato/feta/watermelon salad, the shrimp and grits, salmon with veggies, and definitely the peach cobbler. The service was young and just ok (missing silverware between courses, no app plates to share apps, each person had to ask for water individually, etc.). The welcome at the hostess stand was really warm and helpful - much better than the service. Seating experience is very different depending upon where you sit. The back room is quiet and chilly - more formal. The bar area and outside deck is more lively and casual.Special Features:
- OldGamecockDined on 9/6/2014Excellent cuisine and serving time was great! We all , (four of us), thought the food was presented very nicely, and some of the additional touches, like lemon wedges served with fried chicken, was a great add. I've been eating, and enjoying, fried chicken livers for years, but never thought of adding lemon! Also, they were not overcooked as is often the case. Also, our special requests to add more cooking time to a couple of our dishes was appreciated. Overall, a great dining experience! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special Birthday meal-HarryDined on 9/5/2014Great food. Had the restaurant week 3 for 30 plates; what a great value! I had the salmon and my wife had the short ribs and everything was really good. We will be back-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal at Salt 22ScottVIPDined on 9/3/2014Six of us went to Salt 22 for restaurant week. The choices were varied and the food was excellent with wonderful presentation. They had 1/2 price wine selections and we had a very nice Sauvignon Blanc and a Merlot. The snapper crudo, cerviche, crab biegnets, chicken livers and salads were delicious as was the swordfish, pasta with mussels, salmon and short ribs entrees. There is something for everyone at a great price! Will definitely repeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best SalmonHappyVIPDined on 9/3/2014When we saw that their excellent salmon and coconut cake was on the 3 for $30 menu we had to go. It was fantastic probably the best salmon and coconut cake in the area. Both delicious and moist. Only thing I would criticize was that the dishes came out too quickly with no break in between courses. Also, the server did not clear our dishes first and expected us to lift our dishes in order to place the next course on the table.Special Features:
- Good food with a beachy feelCharlottefoodieDined on 8/31/2014Lots of reviews talk about how hot it is in Salt. I agree it's warmer than most restaurants because they leave open the windows at the bar, but this is what makes it unique. You're at the beach, so breathe in the SALT air!!! We actually enjoyed the beach air coming in and like the fact that we weren't freezing in an over air-conditioned restaurant. Their food was really good the drinks too - try the watermelon mojito and the salmon! We had an excellent waiter who helped us choose from the menu and it was a really fun adult night out for a party of 4. We will go back to Salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best in ChasMikeJonesDined on 8/30/2014The oysters were good but that's about it. The pastas were lacking character they just tasted salty. Our group eats out a lot and we know good food and good food in the low country this time it just didn't work out. I doubt we'll go back except maybe for drinks and brunch.
- Yummy meets DELISHQueenCuisineDined on 8/30/2014Awesome service and food was outstanding! The ceviche was flavorful and enjoyed by the whole table. Waiter was one of the best and so chill. I don't remember his name but we made sure the manager knew how splendid his service was. Will be back the next time we visit. Btw, thanks for a great table and for reading our preference for a table and delivering on a very busy night.Special Features:
- DinnerlynnDined on 8/29/2014We made a reservation to ensure a quiet table. The speaker was over our table with loud music. I asked them to turn the speaker off and they did. The corn soup is excellent.Special Features:
- Worth a try....SouthernFoodieDined on 8/23/2014I have been to Salt a few times with just my husband. This time we had guest visiting from Virginia Beach so we had a party of 6 for a late night dinner. We wanted a casual dining spot where the food was good and the atmosphere was light. The drinks and food were wonderful and the service matched. Will definately go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great but room very warmdesserts222Dined on 8/23/2014It was very hot and uncomfortable in the restaurant. Please consider closing the windows to keep the AC in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014I stated on the reservation that it was a birthday celebration and requested a good table. The hostess could not find our reservation and then seated us at a table right near the serving/kitchen area in the middle of the room. The other couple had already arrived and were seated by the same hostess at a separate table. The waitress did not communicate regarding the choices and types of offerings and was not available for long periods of time. The other couple ordered blue crab soup and said it was not blue crab soup when they tasted it. When they asked the waitress about it, she answered "there is only one soup" (????) and walked away. The meal was delicious and our hope is they improve the service.Special Features:
- A Hair In My FoodlarrydebDined on 8/16/2014Our first visit to Salt. We were frequent diners at the old Station 22. My wife's appetizer had a hair in one of the pieces. She said her shrimp and grits was unforgettable. My whole snapper was fine including the slaw, however the fries were just ordinary. My sweet corn soup was excellent. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable. Probably not on our list in the value for price list.
- Salty Sullivan Island find.SaltyDogDined on 8/16/2014The food was great, perfect proportions, expertly seasoned, great service from Katie. What more can be said except "Well Done".Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/14/2014We were unlucky to get a wait person extremely overworked the night we were having dinner. It seemed that everyone else was pleased with their service. We will give the restaurant another chanceSpecial Features:
- Good but HOT!IopvacationDined on 8/13/2014Food was a definite step up from their sister restaurant the Boathouse. That said at 8pm on an 85 degree day the place was sweltering. The heat issue is systemic-their ac was working however their bar set up requires them to keep the whole front of the restaurant wide open. Food was good but I don't think it was good enough to overcome the heat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok.kstoner3VIPDined on 8/11/2014While the food was good the menu is limited at best. Our server seemed less than knowledgeable, especially regarding the wine selection. What's worse is it was very apparent that she was ready for her shift to end as quickly as possible. The entrees arrived with the appetizer and the check arrived with desert. Not the worst experience but nothing to rave about either. With all of the great places to dine around the area we'll likely try somewhere else next time out.Special Features:
- Found a TreasureCharlestonFoodieDined on 8/10/2014After many years of driving by Salt, I read about it in a new Dorothea Benton Frank book and we tried it. The food and the service were both outstanding. Only negative was trying to find a table for 2. One booth was above a fairly loud speaker, the other was next to a ac vent. We finally sat at a high top by the bar which was okay.Special Features:
- SALT is excellent!Foodlove98Dined on 8/10/2014As a frequent diner at their sister restaurant The Boathouse on Isle of Palms, I was excited to try SALT. It didn't disappoint! The location on Sullivan's Island is right in the middle of the village, and the ambience is casual and islandy without being kitschy. It's an old Sullivan's Island feel in the restaurant and out on the porch. I had the shrimp and grits which was very good, and we had the crab beignets and pretzel bread for appetizers. Both were excellent. They bring at least 6-8 of the beignets, so a very good portion, and the pretzel bread had three or four pieces also. Actually between the three of us, we had a good amount left of both, so they are filling but so tasty! I had the watermelon mojito which was very good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.