SALT at Station 22
2205 Middle Street
Sullivans Island, SC 29482Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
SALT at Station 22
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saltstation22.com/
- Phone: 8438833355x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 5pm-10pm
Sunday Brunch 11am-2pm | Sunday Bar Menu 2pm-5pm | Sunday Dinner 5pm-10pm
Happy Hour Monday - Thursday 5pm-7pm and Friday 4pm-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Laird Boles
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from SALT at Station 22
SALT at Station 22 began as one of the first restaurant on Charleston's historic Sullivan's, opened in 1987 as Station 22. Lead by Charleston native Laird Boles, SALT brings classic southern flavors, American fare, and new takes on old favorites, all made with local ingredients. Come check out our daily menu, seasonal cocktail menu, and delicious raw bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
SALT at Station 22 - Best Restaurants in Sullivan's Island ›
SALT at Station 22 reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (71)great for outdoor dining (66)fit for foodies (60)vibrant bar scene (46)hot spot (31)special occasion (31)good for groups (29)romantic (18)scenic view (16)great for brunch (16)kid-friendly (16)late-night find (13)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (7)Show More
- Worth a try....SouthernFoodieDined on 8/23/2014I have been to Salt a few times with just my husband. This time we had guest visiting from Virginia Beach so we had a party of 6 for a late night dinner. We wanted a casual dining spot where the food was good and the atmosphere was light. The drinks and food were wonderful and the service matched. Will definately go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great but room very warmdesserts222Dined on 8/23/2014It was very hot and uncomfortable in the restaurant. Please consider closing the windows to keep the AC in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014I stated on the reservation that it was a birthday celebration and requested a good table. The hostess could not find our reservation and then seated us at a table right near the serving/kitchen area in the middle of the room. The other couple had already arrived and were seated by the same hostess at a separate table. The waitress did not communicate regarding the choices and types of offerings and was not available for long periods of time. The other couple ordered blue crab soup and said it was not blue crab soup when they tasted it. When they asked the waitress about it, she answered "there is only one soup" (????) and walked away. The meal was delicious and our hope is they improve the service.Special Features:
- A Hair In My FoodlarrydebDined on 8/16/2014Our first visit to Salt. We were frequent diners at the old Station 22. My wife's appetizer had a hair in one of the pieces. She said her shrimp and grits was unforgettable. My whole snapper was fine including the slaw, however the fries were just ordinary. My sweet corn soup was excellent. Our server was attentive and knowledgeable. Probably not on our list in the value for price list.
- Salty Sullivan Island find.SaltyDogDined on 8/16/2014The food was great, perfect proportions, expertly seasoned, great service from Katie. What more can be said except "Well Done".Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/14/2014We were unlucky to get a wait person extremely overworked the night we were having dinner. It seemed that everyone else was pleased with their service. We will give the restaurant another chanceSpecial Features:
- Good but HOT!IopvacationDined on 8/13/2014Food was a definite step up from their sister restaurant the Boathouse. That said at 8pm on an 85 degree day the place was sweltering. The heat issue is systemic-their ac was working however their bar set up requires them to keep the whole front of the restaurant wide open. Food was good but I don't think it was good enough to overcome the heat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just ok.kstoner3Dined on 8/11/2014While the food was good the menu is limited at best. Our server seemed less than knowledgeable, especially regarding the wine selection. What's worse is it was very apparent that she was ready for her shift to end as quickly as possible. The entrees arrived with the appetizer and the check arrived with desert. Not the worst experience but nothing to rave about either. With all of the great places to dine around the area we'll likely try somewhere else next time out.Special Features:
- Found a TreasureCharlestonFoodieDined on 8/10/2014After many years of driving by Salt, I read about it in a new Dorothea Benton Frank book and we tried it. The food and the service were both outstanding. Only negative was trying to find a table for 2. One booth was above a fairly loud speaker, the other was next to a ac vent. We finally sat at a high top by the bar which was okay.Special Features:
- SALT is excellent!Foodlove98Dined on 8/10/2014As a frequent diner at their sister restaurant The Boathouse on Isle of Palms, I was excited to try SALT. It didn't disappoint! The location on Sullivan's Island is right in the middle of the village, and the ambience is casual and islandy without being kitschy. It's an old Sullivan's Island feel in the restaurant and out on the porch. I had the shrimp and grits which was very good, and we had the crab beignets and pretzel bread for appetizers. Both were excellent. They bring at least 6-8 of the beignets, so a very good portion, and the pretzel bread had three or four pieces also. Actually between the three of us, we had a good amount left of both, so they are filling but so tasty! I had the watermelon mojito which was very good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCarolinaGirlVIPDined on 8/9/2014After having good experiences at Salt on three previous occasions, we were anticipating a great night out. A series of missteps added up to a disappointing evening. Despite having made reservations, we were seated at a high-top table in the bar, directly across from the open windows, on a sweltering night. It took about 15 minutes to get water. We had to ask for silverware. The prosecco was lukewarm, as was the ceviche, which was also way too soupy. Homemade potato chips were limp and greasy. A summer watermelon salad was just terrible -- bland and boring. The cheeseburger was juicy and delicious though. Ended up getting dessert to go because it was too hot in the restaurant. I couldn't believe this was the same place from a month ago.
- OutstandingHawksDined on 8/4/2014A great place on Sullivan's Island that provides all from A-Z. From when you pull up to Valet parking(free) to great service followed by outstanding food! A must visit!Special Features:
- Horrible ServieEdgarDined on 8/3/2014Was really looking forward to trying this restaurant with our group of 8 after reading and hearing good things about it. We were seated right away, but it went downhill from there. Took 15-20 minutes for someone to even acknowledge our presence. When we finally got our drink order placed, it took another 15-20 minutes to receive our cocktails/wine. The wait for the food was about average and the food was actually pretty good, but I don't think we'll be going back with so many other good options nearby.
- Kt22girlsVIPDined on 7/27/2014Food was good for the most. A raw children's hamburger sent back twice and was still raw was annoying. Service terribly slow. It was extremely hot inside. I miss the old station 22!! :-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our First Time at SaltHarryDined on 7/27/2014And, it will not be our last! Food quality was high; I loved my Saffron Pasta with PEI Mussel and my wife's Gnocci was out of this world. We went there this past Sunday night and the ambience and service were outstanding. Don't forget to try the pretzel bread with dipping sauces, easily the best we've ever had. We had a great meal, enjoyed a good bottle of wine, split a piece of the wonderful Coconut Cake and before tip, the bill was just under $100. Believe me when I say that we have spent a lot more at many other similar restaurants did not walk away nearly as pleased as we were with our experience at SALT at Station 22. We highly recommend it! Joe StubelSpecial Features:
- Great first experienceGlutenfreefavoriteDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I dined at Salt for the first time Saturday night. We had a great experience and will definitely be going back. Service was PERFECT. Our waitress was around and available but not interrupting us every two minutes. She was a gem. The food was delicious. Our only complaint was that the restaurant was really warm. Even with the all of the ceiling fans on, it was slightly uncomfortable. However, that will not deter us from returning. It was overall a very positive experience. We would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great seafood and drinks!AnnaB615Dined on 7/22/2014This is such a cute little spot to stop in Sullivans Island! We sat on the patio which was very nice. The drinks were awesome! I had the mojito with watermelon and it was very good. This is a good place to go for oysters - they have several east coast options to chose from. For dinner I got the wreck fish and the others I went with got the salmon. Everyone was happy with their choices. I would definitely recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Fun & FriendlyCiCiDined on 7/18/2014This was our first time to Salt; and it had come highly recommended. We had a reservation and were seated immediately by a very friendly hostess. Our server Pam was attentive providing excellent service, despite being quite busy. We thoroughly enjoyed our food…..fish that had been caught locally that morning. The fresh peach cobbler was outstanding. I would recommend going early because it becomes quite busy and the free parking lot can fill up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively Restaurantluv2cookDined on 7/12/2014We ate here on our last night at Isle of Palms. It is a very lively, fun environment with delicious food and great atmosphere if you are out for a casual fun evening. In spite of how busy it was, we were seated promptly, and our service was outstanding. They had plenty of good, professional staff who were on top of the game. The restaurant is definitely being managed very well. Great seafood and specialty fresh pizza"s.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConsistenthungerylocalfamilyDined on 7/10/2014Consistently great food, truly hospitable staff, so happy with free valet, love that my entire family always wants to meet up at SALT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STAY AWAYwaterboyDined on 7/5/2014We had a party of 6 at 9 PM. Our service experience was horrible. The server was rude and could really care less that we were there. They ran out of 2 appetizers including bread. Our meals came out staggered with almost 10 minutes between the first and last meals. People in our party were forced to start eating before everyone else even had their meals. The server did not even ask us if we wanted more drinks with dinner and I had to go look for her to get a glass of wine. Food is okay if you like everything to taste smoky. Lose the bottle of liquid smoke and find some spices. As a local here, I could find 50 places I would rather eat at. What a disappointment.
- DeliciousRenaDSDined on 6/29/2014We enjoyed distinctive food in a comfortable atmosphere. Service was good. Food was delicious and served hot. Crab beignets and the peach salad were particularly yummy as were the shrimp and grits and the swordfish. Clams were tasty however the broth was a bit salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCharlestonDined on 6/28/2014The food was great and we had a group of 10 and they were very accommodating. However, the service was terrible. I think he knew he was getting gratuity anyways so he didn't care. Constantly tracked him down for drinks. Would have been quicker to go to bar. We waited for coffee for almost 20 min after dinner. Never got it. Then finally went to manager to get checks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous!astridDined on 6/24/2014The ceviche was the best I've had (and that's saying a lot!)...the shrimp and grits (with sausage and fennel) also the BEST I've had! Oysters were yum, service perfect, great beachy but comfortable ambience...will be a regular whenever we're in town!Special Features:
- Good food and local ambiancelocalchasDined on 6/22/2014The crab beignets were great as was the peach salad. Open air to the porch is nice. I was disappointed that there was not a selection of moderately priced wines, $ 50 opening price point on a bottle of Chardonnay is too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprised!TennisGirlVIPDined on 6/21/2014Wonderful food, nice beachy atmosphere, definitely kid friendly. My seared salmon was the best I've had in ages. Wonderful pretzel bread too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go and take friendsMamatkDined on 6/21/2014Overall our meals were good. Salads were awesome and my husband loved his oysters on the half shell. There seemed to be a strange ingredient in my shrimp & grits but it was too dark over our table to see what it was. Maybe a good thing? Nice wine choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of Our ListDebTDined on 6/21/2014Everything was excellent as always. We have never been disappointed with the food or the service here and the coconut cake is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth its salt...2foodiesDined on 6/20/2014Food was top notch. Great service. Thanks for no hassle valet. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinnermckelvie37Dined on 6/17/2014While the food was very good and certainly worthy of repeat visits, what set this restaurant apart was the service. Fantastic wait staff that was informative, polite, and patient with us. Would certainly go back and recommend to anyone looking for a good meal on the island.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Very disappointed! Tucked in corner. Slow service.very disappointed in the menu.Special Features:
- Great food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/13/2014The peach arugula salad was Amazing! Burgers were I can almost say the best ever had!! And the wreck fish was delicious Meg took great care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to pleaseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014Our go to place at the beach. Great porch overlooking the "strip" on Sullivan's Island, big bar with lots of tables, and quieter dining in the back. Excellent, well thought out local seafood and vegetables (and pizza too). Always professional affable service. We both had shrimp - one with grits, sausage and fennel - and with gnocchi and fresh squashes. Excellent.Special Features:
- Another Sullivan's Island gem2SilvestersDined on 6/11/2014Food was great, bar was busy, nice outside eating area. Kitchen was running slow the night we were there, but server and manager apologized. It didn't seem like an every day occurance, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BettyBetty7Dined on 6/8/2014I loved the Salty Bear & the appetizers. The peach salad was delicious & refreshing. The crab beignets were outstanding as was the dipping sauce. I look forward to dining there again, especially to try there brunch menu.Special Features:
- A Nice EveningLuluDined on 6/4/2014Our wait staff person could not have been more attentive but not hovering. He was well informed about the menu choices and which oysters were outstanding that day. We had a six year old with us who wanted fried shrimp even though they were not on the kids menu. The chef had no issues with fixing them for him. It made his evening and ours. All of the adults enjoyed their beverages and meals. Cusps ! LuluSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and tasty menu near beachOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/2/2014We took a team from work here including colleagues from Germany. They offer unique dishes including plenty of fish and seafood choices. Everyone loved their meals. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A relaxed weeknight supper in JuneCarolinaGirlVIPDined on 6/2/2014Surprised to arrive and see we really had not needed a reservation at 7:30 on a Monday in early June. Street outside was hopping (Salt has free valet though); peaceful and calm inside. We had a table in the cozy side room, which I prefer. I don't like the booths in left upper back. GREAT server. They have an interesting cocktail menu and an OK but small selection of wines. The ceviche is a must -- selection changes every day. Clams meuniere were well-seasoned, their broth and sourdough divine. Entrees: very light gnocchi with crab (YUM) and whole fried snapper (delicious -- especially the coleslaw!) but enough for two. Coconut cake a MUST! Entree choices are rather slim. I'd like to see more fish choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014Salt was a good choice for Sunday Brunch. Our server was outstanding and we were seated outside so we could enjoy the beautiful day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive but delicious burgerchasgalDined on 6/1/2014Went here did a change of pace because we wanted to sit outside and there are few options for that downtown and Poe's is always slammed on Sunday. The Bloody Mary was so-so, chicken lovers delicious and so was the burger. That said, I could have had one across the street for $4 less.... Still a nice alternative and great waitstaff.Special Features: