1252 N. Wells St.
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.salpicon.com/
- Phone: 3129887811x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Priscila Satkoff
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Salpicón
Salpicón offers classic & contemporary Mexican cuisine by acclaimed chef Priscila Satkoff (named by Larousse Gastronomique as "One of the Top Chefs of Mexican Cuisine") and recently inducted into the Chicago Culinary Museum's Chefs Hall of Fame, accompanied by a Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence Wine List, served in a fun & festive atmosphere. Tequila fans will enjoy our selection of over 100 selections of super-premium 100% agave Tequila. Enjoy in a Margarita or sip on it's own or in one of our flights. (Please note: Toddlers and infants not allowed on Friday or Saturday nights. Strollers ARE NOT permitted.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salpicón reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)notable wine list (41)neighborhood gem (38)special occasion (29)romantic (21)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Top notchDekeDined on 8/19/2014Our server was enthusiastic, entertaining and knowledgeable. Yes, they do upsell the tequila with the margaritas, but It ended up being a plus. Between us, we sampled four tequilas , selected by our server, which proved to be a fun and tasty journey. Of note - outstanding ceviche, and wonderfully created sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dull and uninspiredWardineVIPDined on 8/17/2014Perhaps this was once a fine restaurant; if so nowadays it is a mere shell; over salted zestless pre-made guacamole; salsa using canned tomatoes; a tasteless corn soup; grillled fish buried under a salsa fresca that was two thirds cilantro; and stodgy sopes. No wonder the restaurant was half empty.
- Great mealMikeandMoDined on 8/16/2014Nice setting, informed server, varied menu. We were able to find non spicy food, which we needed for one of our party. The server was a bit over bearing, recommending expensive drinks. Extensive tequila and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mole to die for at Salpicón!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014We started our meal with delicious soft shell crabs bathed in sweet garlic, paired with Domaine Amiot Guy et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet. The pièce de résistance of the meal was the crispy duck leg confit with tender breast served with an oaxacan black mole, washed down with a 2005 Domaine Terlato & Chapoutier Shiraz. This was by far the best mole we have ever eaten and it was a transformative experience—dark, stormy and sensuous. The flavors were so intense that a private room was desired to savor each delectable mouthful. Chef Priscila Satkoff outdid herself. We have been to Salpicón many times and even celebrated our wedding there but this was an unforgettable meal. Bravo!
- High-end twist on MexicanShawnDined on 8/6/2014Great apps and main dishes that were unexpected twists on Mexican flavors. A huge wine list. We'll go back for sure!Special Features:
- It's SlippingcitykidVIPDined on 8/2/2014We've been going to Salpicon for years. Our last visit on August 2, 2014, is probably our final time there. The waiter was ok, not great. Sort of insincere, and not that attentive. The food is not cheap, so we expect excellence. The food was not excellent, as it used to be. I'm really sorry to have had this less than stellar experience. If this was an average priced Mexican restaurant, it would be fine. But this is nowhere near average price, so I think diners deserve and expect something better. On the positive side, the tequila flight was good, and so was the guacamole.Special Features:
- Good food, great serviceMeeMooDined on 8/2/2014Salpicon was a very nice restaurant. I thought the presentation, atmosphere, and service was all top-notch. Very attentive and our water glasses never went empty. The food was delicious. We had the ceviche, guacamole, the cod, the tenderloin, and the espresso cake with ice cream. The food was absolutely tasteful with just the right about of spice and kick. I did feel the portions were a little on the small side. Either that or they should serve with smaller plates, so the food doesn't look so tiny on the plate. I felt the tenderloin was well seasoned and cooked perfectly medium rare. I did find the portion to be on the smaller end for the actual price paid. Salpicon has a huge wine list and a plethora of tequila choices.Special Features:
- Great food!!Dbh2Dined on 7/31/2014The food was amazing! Service was great I would highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still going strong!grasshopper2Dined on 7/28/2014I hadn't been back for a while. I liked the brighter interior (yellow wall not dark blue) Salpicon! is still serving delicious gourmet Mexican. It's the only place in Chicago with a full page of Tequilas available, and the Margaritas are made with fresh squeezed limes (and optionally Cointreau if you like the extra sweetness.) The food is delicious; and although i can't eat the soft-shelled crabs, others at my table enjoyed them.Special Features:
- Great little placeLuvGoodFoodDined on 7/27/2014This is not your typical Mexican restaurant! We did the 7 course Chef's Tasting and everything was delicious. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeGDined on 7/18/2014First time at this restaurant. Went with the small plates for sharing and it seemed afterward that we made the right choice. Lots of good items to select from. Some were a bit spicy for one of our party, but the rest of us liked everything. Good margaritas - made with fresh juices which for me is a must. Good selection of tequilas for the margaritas, but I personally feel that margaritas need good, but not great tequila. Would definitely try again.Special Features:
- Great Sommelier!AwesomeWineBarDined on 7/12/2014Our experience could have not been the same without their Outstanding Sommelier! Thank you so much Wanda!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in all aspectsLAmosDined on 7/11/2014This was my second time dining at Salpicon, and much like the original visit everything was fantastic. The food is amazing and full of great flavors and the service is equally wonderful. Add in a vast wine list and extensive tequila menu and you have all the makings of a great night. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Must trydebnjamesDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I have been going here for over a decade! They re-did the whole place since we were last there and it looks amazing now! The margaritas are perfect. The seviche is the best I've ever had and the best entree is filete de res en salsa de moritas con hongos. It is grilled steak with melted Chihuahua cheese, served in a spicy tomatillo-morita sauce with shiitakes and Mexican rice. So good.Special Features:
- The Best In Chicago.EmitchboyDined on 7/1/2014This is my very favorite restaurant in Chicago. Period. Gorgeous food, and a legendary wine list. Do not miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fancy MexicanYvonneVIPDined on 6/29/2014I don't really understand the niche of Salpicon. It's fancy Mexican food which is such an oxymoron to me. I've been to nice Mexican places before that feel vibrant, familial, and serve up some delicious food. This place has the colors and lighting to be vibrant but the general vibe is much more subdued. The food was delicious but expensive. There aren't any familiar favorites: no tacos, burritos, or horchata. In fact, you can't even find a mango margarita but you can find a bajillion traditional margaritas made from a bajillion different kinds of tequila.
- Very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/28/2014The food is great. Good margaritas, very nice atmosphere and outdoor seating.Special Features:
- Upscale Mexican fare in Old TownRaReVIPDined on 6/21/2014One of the best Mexican restaurants in Chicago with a broad selection of premium sipping Tequilas. Complex notes in dishes without being overpowering. Tiger shrimp appetizer was wonderful with perfectly grilled shrimp balanced by 2 different sauces. Highly recommend the Tinga Poblano as a main dish - bold flavors with perfectly cooked tenderloin. The tequila lime sorbet (with hint of Serrano chiles) is a must have as I have seen few dishes with lime zest done successfully. Seating can get a little cozy and noise level a little energetic for a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/15/2014We had another excellent meal and outstanding service with our server, James. We brought our daughter and son-in-law for their first time. I am sure that they will return again as they live in Chicago. We will back as soon as we can return to Chicago.Special Features:
- Excellent againgrdohmDined on 6/14/2014Have dined here several times in the past and was once again impressed with my dining experience. Friendly greetings from Priscilla and Vince along with Wanda and Jose. Food choices were excellent. Appetizers, entrees, desert were all delicious and flavourful. Wine was perfect choice for our meal. And of course the house margarita was great start to lovely evening at Salpicon!Special Features:
- samkVIPDined on 6/13/2014Fabulous food and service. One of our regular spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Praise the LardpraisethellardDined on 6/9/2014High rating for the food & service, but a very low rating for the dining experience. That is because there was no dining experience, the food was brought so fast allowing for no dining. Our waiter & the sommelier were gracious and very apologetic. The communication between the kitchen and the staff was very poor. After our 3 appetizers came out so fast, we specifically asked that we could have a little break between that and the entrée. Less than five minutes later our entrée came out! Our total time to have a drink, three appetizers, wine, and an entrée was 45 minutes. Over the years we have eaten at this restaurant numerous times. It was a special occasion, my birthday, and you see what happened. This may have been our last time there.Special Features:
- Another Perfect Meal at SalpiconButtondownDined on 6/5/2014No one does fish better than Priscilla Satikoff, and her copper river salmon dish topped them all. Expertly grilled and paired with a mole and a tomato and fruit salsa, two of us were in heaven. Our third diner declared the soft shell crabs enjoyed "the best she ever had." We ordered a great bottle of French Burgundy off the deep wine list as advised by the sommelier and loved it. The appetizers as always were amazing. This restaurant continues to uphold a standard of consistent exceptional food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gem on WellsLeCombineDined on 6/1/2014wonderful neighborhood spot, great outdoor dining, with a unique menu of Mexican dishes and a great wine/tequila selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent once againmrycDined on 5/31/2014It is soft-shell crab season and Salpicon is my all time favorite! They sauté the crabs in garlic and serve them with diced avocado and rice. After devouring the delightfully delicious crabs, mixing the rice with remaining garlic, avocado and crab bits is a tastebud wonderland! My husband had the sliced pork tenderloin over a veggie ragu which was also excellent and heartily enjoyed. No dessert this time but in the past, the the warm espresso and chocolate cake was yummy. The service was great, as always, attentive but not hovering. I look forward to coming back. Salpicon has an excellent menu year round and I enthusiastically recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican cuisineLewKVIPDined on 5/30/2014We have been fans forever. Great food and right up there with Rick Bayless's places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off night?dlogs59VIPDined on 5/25/2014My wife gave margarita top marks and my wine was excellent. We both got prawn selection and they where cooked perfect and very good, although my wife said on of her prawns was mushy. The problem was our waiter, who by all counts could not keep pace. His disfunction ruined the otherwise pleasant ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful cuisinelialeDined on 5/24/2014very imaginative food, generous portions, great wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJerryChicagoDined on 5/23/2014This is not a Mexican Restaurant. It is a Mexico City restaurant. Don't come expecting Tacos and Enchiladas. Expect great food with the flavors and spices of Mexican cuisine that you would find in fine restaurants in Mexico City. And of course the Margaritas were excellent and they have a great selection of Tequila.Special Features:
- RufinoVIPDined on 5/18/2014The service was very attentive and friendly. The food was very disappointingSpecial Features:
- Great Start, Unremarkable FinishgreatfriendsgreatfoodDined on 5/16/2014A friend suggested Salpicon because of its terrific reviews. I was eager to try "Chicago's Best Mexican Restaurant." Our attentive waiter beautifully explained the extensive tequila menu. The Siembra Azul Blanco he recommended was delicious. The goat cheese stuffed squash blossoms he recommended were beautifully plated, light and perfectly prepared. For dinner, I ordered the camarones al mojo de ajo. My friend and I shared pastel tres leches for dessert. One of my favorite ways to spend an evening is to enjoy great friends and great food. By the end of the meal, I realized that my friend and I had talked all through dinner, but had not remarked on the food once since the appetizers. Our entrees and dessert were good, but not remarkable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's Day BrunchRanditoVIPDined on 5/11/2014From the first-rate margaritas to the guacamole to the Huevos Mexicanos and Grilled Salmon entrees, Salpicon was absolutely fabulous. And the waiter couldn't have been more helpful in picking out the best entrees and margaritas. We've been here before for dinner and loved it. This was the first time we tried it for brunch. Either way, you'll get a terrific dining experience. I highly, highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great food great MargheritaATableVIPDined on 5/10/2014We had not been to Salpicon for a while and we were positively surprised. The food is as good as before. They changed the bar and it looks great. The Margherita are still delicious. We will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LipsmackerDined on 5/5/2014This place was fantastic. I try to be conservative with my reviews, knowing a lot of folks rave about everything. Our group of six had the beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin, queso and shrimp appetizer, guacomole, chile rellenos, and ceviche. The ceviche was fine- nothing huge, but everything else knocked it out of the park. If you're looking for heat, these are not the spiciest options, but definitely flavorfulSpecial Features:
- The following 958 reviews are from the Salpicón reviews archive.
- Special DiinnerrichieDined on 5/5/2014This was an excellent place to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. The food and drink were exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dinner.GlynyFoodyVIPDined on 5/5/2014Enjoyed the BEST margarita I've ever tasted.... Service is fantastic... Food outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad engagement/Cinco de MayoLuv2EatDined on 5/5/2014Chose this restaurant because of the menu online. Looked great. Got there at 6 for our reservation. Was quickly sat upstairs. Was surprised they charged $1 extra for margaritas cause limes are so expensive now. Unless they are adding 4 limes/drink it seemed a little excess. There was also no bartender that night so the waitress made the margaritas. Not good and slow!! Got the ceviche appetizer. Tasty, nothing special. Two side sauces were so HOT it almost ruined the meal. I ordered the 2 chili rellenos. Never heard of nuts and raisins in a relleno before. Yuck! My new fiance oreder two apps for dinner. The tostadas were so spicy she couldnt eat them. There are so many great restaurants in this town I will not go back to this one.Special Features:
- 5/5/2014DanoverVIPDined on 5/5/2014I had been to Salpicon before but my friend had not. The food and atmosphere was excellent and service was equally as good. A great cinco de mayo experience.Special Features:
- Modern rendition of Mexican foodARDRDined on 5/3/2014Started with the Ceviche, grilled shrimp and a pork cooked in a banana leaf-were all very good. Also had pork tenderloin and quail which were both good. Could have been better if there were fresh flavors in addition to the cooked flavors of the mole sauces.Special Features:
- Good, but service can be better.NA11VIPDined on 5/2/2014They gave me the wrong entree. That's not good. That's not good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.