1252 N. Wells St.
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.salpicon.com/
- Phone: 3129887811x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Priscila Satkoff
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Salpicón
Salpicón offers classic & contemporary Mexican cuisine by acclaimed chef Priscila Satkoff (named by Larousse Gastronomique as "One of the Top Chefs of Mexican Cuisine") and recently inducted into the Chicago Culinary Museum's Chefs Hall of Fame, accompanied by a Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence Wine List, served in a fun & festive atmosphere. Tequila fans will enjoy our selection of over 100 selections of super-premium 100% agave Tequila. Enjoy in a Margarita or sip on it's own or in one of our flights. (Please note: Toddlers and infants not allowed on Friday or Saturday nights. Strollers ARE NOT permitted.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salpicón reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)notable wine list (44)neighborhood gem (42)special occasion (31)great for outdoor dining (21)romantic (21)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- service was unremarkable,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2013service was unremarkable, and i'm used to it being really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used to love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2013But it has gone downhill. Sad. Food was overcooked, and there are better places in Chicago.
- A Perfect EveningIsabelDined on 11/9/2013We were seated at a quiet corner table that we requested in the reservation. Creative menu with every dish perfectly executed! Knowledgable waitstaff who can direct you to the perfect margarita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a first visitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2013I brought a friend here for their first time in Chicago and it did not disappoint. The food was great, our server was very helpful and fun, and we had a great time. Perfect to go to before or after a show at Second City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCalifornianativeDined on 11/4/2013Along with the best guacamole I've ever had, the food was top notch. Margaritas too. We happened to hit it on a relatively quiet night, so it was special. Wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Former delightJaimitoVIPDined on 10/30/2013I remember coming to this place years ago and being impressed. After this last experience I don't anticipate returning. Nothing impressive to note and simply overpriced.
- great foodHappyVIPDined on 10/27/2013the food at Salpicon is wonderful. The wine and tequila lists are encyclopedic. The service is ok,I felt a little pushy at times. It is a place with truly great tasting food.Special Features:
- We live across the streetjerrykDined on 10/26/2013We live across the street and tend to go elsewhere but we were unable to because of surgery so we went on Saturday night and had a great time. The food was excellent and the wine was good too. We shared an appetizer and dessert and the were great. Very knowledgeable about their food and wine. They had a good crowd and everything was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SalpiconreviewerVIPDined on 10/26/2013As usual, we had wonderful food, excellent service and a great evening. This is our go-to restaurant for high quality innovative food. Far superior to any other Mexican food in the city in our opinion. A consistent excellent experience.Special Features:
- Good food - A little PriceyDaveVIPDined on 10/23/2013Short review - tasty/strong margaritas, below average guac, strong entrees. The swordfish in the chipolte suace was excellent. Slightly over-priced, but given the location not a shocker.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience - would come backsalpiconDined on 10/19/2013The food was good - a tasty meal although it did not overly impress. The service is terrific and the marg list is very robust - very good margs. The scallops and shrimp were cooked perfectly and the sauces are terrific - the cactus dish was interesting - loved the sauce but the cactus itself was a bit much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Margarita-LanddocteeDined on 10/19/2013Wow, what a margarita....more tequila choices than I knew existed and they all can be selected for a great margarita!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salpicon subpar experiencechicagodiner2013Dined on 10/19/2013Had dinner w/ my wife on a Sat, not v busy. Seated at v small table squeezed into corner, then immediately crowded by close by 4top, despite plenty of other empty tables. Seafood stuffed nopales apptzr just OK, my grilled swordfish v good, but wife's lamb in mole terrible; mole was v bitter w/ weird grainy texture Kitchen not paying attention! Service started out OK then really tailed off when server realized we weren't ordering a lot of alcohol, perfunctory at best remainder of meal and did not result in a pleasant overall experience. Stark contrast to our meal at Cafe des Architectes, terrific food and great service despite also not ordering much alcohol there. Cannot recommend Salpicon with so many other great choices in Chicago.
- Unfortunate DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/30/2013I travel to Mexico City often and was excited to see what their kitchen created. Ambiance was inviting however, the invitation stopped there. We brought a bottle of wine, but they did not provide corkage due to their extensive wine list. We enjoyed reading through the list but the prices were ridiculously high. In today's vibrant wine market, there is no excuse for this. I complimented our waiter on the list and asked him to find us a nice bottle for under $50, which he did. But, from then on he was rude and obviously irate. He moved through our area like a bull in a china shop. This greatly tarnished the beautifully prepared food. Dining is entertainment. A waiter should be politely attentive and professional.
- Good not GreatLynnDined on 9/27/2013I first ate at Salpicon on a Chicago trip 4 years ago and had such great memories of it that I insisted we go again. While the food was still good, it didn't hit the mark as solidly as the first visit. More disappointing was the service. Despite a reservation made months in advance, we were shunted off to a back table by the kitchen that was too busy, too noisy and too bright. We asked for another and waited but the manager seemed aggravated by our request. Regardless, we enjoyed ourselves. Granted, it was Friday night, but overall, the feel was too busy and not very welcoming and my recommendation would be a conditional one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as TopolobamboLewKVIPDined on 9/21/2013We have been going to Salpicon for years. For refined Mexican dining it rivals Topolobambo. We are fortunate to have Salpicon along with the Bayless restaurants in Chicago. Our waiter, Jose, is the best! This past visit my wife had soft shell crabs from New Zeeland, and I had lamb chops from New Zeeleand with an incredible mole. Just go- you'll love it and it's worth the price. Also terrific margaritas and sipping taquilas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Como se dece Wow...jpmcdVIPDined on 9/20/2013Really loud, but the quality and variety of the food is worth it all...wear ear plugs and have the best Mexican food of your life...be sure to advice for the wine pairings...they have it down...bar-b q shrimp memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love SalpiconjeanneVIPDined on 9/19/2013This is one of our favorite places in Chicago. It is consistent delicious, service is great and it has a warm ambiance.Special Features:
- Premium tasting for your taste budswinefoodDined on 9/19/2013Salpicon is always going to provide a very tasty meal in a quite nice setting. Service is always accomodating, professional and unobtrusive. I typically recommend trying the 7-course tasting with premium wines. With the addition of a new sommelier (Ashley) I remain even more confident in making this suggestion. On a recent trip the tasting began with pescado tartaro which was capably paired with Pol Roger NV champagne. I was soon heard to say "Take me now Lord as it can not get any better than this!" But.....it did for six additional courses. Muy delicioso!! Let Salpicon take you and your taste buds on a jouney where both are certain to encounter new horizons of sensory excellence in classic Mexican cuisine. Until next time......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place that serves uniqueJackMVIPDined on 9/17/2013A place that serves unique food. I brought a friend from Toyko there and, of course, he loved it and they have nothing like it in Japan or in most cities in the USA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed to be seatedHungryVIPDined on 9/14/2013Disappointed to be seated on the main floor instead of upstairs (closed for private party). . . otherwise a very nice evening.Special Features:
- Tasty Mexican, exquisite serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2013Each course was a masterpiece of texture and favors that were complex but not pretentious. The stuffed poblano peppers were not what I expected a delicious combination of fruits and veggies and delicious. Reasonably priced. A very helpful sommelier and very welcoming host.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2013There were three in our party. The server was well informed and able to handle all questions. He and the other staff made sure that our water glasses were full and our empty dishes cleared - without unduly disturbing us. They made an error making a margarita for one of us. She hadn't noticed, although she thought it was not a very good drink. When they discovered the error they made a new drink for her - even though she hadn't said anything to them about the original drink. The food was excellent. Spicy dishes were piquant but not overly so. They served a habanero sauce on the side for one of us who asked for a spicier dish. That enabled her to make the dish as spicy as she wanted. The other food was nicely seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Food, Service a Bit SlapdashOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2013Drink and food were excellent - including a good selection of vegetarian appetizers. But despite seating our party of five over two hours before our curtain time at the theater up the street, and despite very good service for the first hour and a half we were there, our server lost track of the time, so our desserts, ordered at about 40 minutes before curtain, showed up too late to enjoy. Not a lapse one expects in a restaurant as high-level as this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your typical Mexican RestaurantGregDined on 9/1/2013Unique dishes, fast service (we were there early), tasty margaritas and a very extensive wine list! We enjoyed the soft shell crab appetizer, pork tenderloin and shrimp entrees. Our server was knowledgeable and the bus staff and food runners were equally as attentive. If you are looking for something different and willing to pay fine dining prices then try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodVanmanDined on 9/1/2013We had a wonderful time at Salpicon. The food was fantastic. Each of the four of us had something different and all said theirs was wonderful. The service was great with the waiter being very attentive and the sommelier who was very knowledgable. The place was in a wonderful neighborhood. Everyone enjoyed themselves. We would definitely go again.Special Features:
- OutstandingJasonDined on 8/29/2013Excellent meal, perfect service, unmatched wine list! Loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sadly disappointing and expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2013Well this place was highly applauded in its reviews which is why we chose it but the food was barely interesting, the flavourings were overdone and one dimensional and sadly the only thing memorable about the food here other than the price tab... extortionate.
- Pretty wonderfulPuppyLoveDined on 8/24/2013We had an early dinner at Salpicon on a Saturday night . We decided to eat outside, which was lovely. We ate very early in order to catch a show that evening, so a later night experience might be somewhat different. Other than the loud family table with kids that we sat next to, our experience was outstanding. The food was wonderful, especially the stuffed jalapeno appetizer. The portions were just enough. I had the house margarita (on the rocks). It was smallish, but was one of the best margaritas I've had. If you are looking for more of a tex mex joint, this is NOT your place. The food is more upscale, complex and unique.Special Features:
- First time at salpiconLuv2dineDined on 8/23/2013my wife and i had a really nice time, and the food was great. Started with an anejo tequila flight (reserva de señor was fantastic) and guacamole. The guacamole was some of the best I've had. The avocado still had some of its shape and there was more lime juice in it than I usually notice. Then had the 3 sopes and the jicama salad. The shrimp sope was especially good. Dinner was pork tenderloin and lamb tenderloin. Both were great, though the sauce on the lamb could have been more vibrant. Dessert was molten chocolate cake and the mango cobbler. Both great. Definitely going back, and can enjoy some high end Mexican without an insane wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbelievable FlavorsFlipVIPDined on 8/23/2013This is not your typical Mexican restaurant. Not by a long shot. The selections of meats and fresh fish are complimented by an extensive offering of wines from around the world. The combination of spices were distinct but not overpowering. Our server was very knowledgeable and friendly and attentive. Salpicon has been added to our Open Table Favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- International MexicanOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2013Amazing food, service and the best Tequila selection you will find anywhere! Great wine list as well. I highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little disappointingChifrogVIPDined on 8/15/2013We had early reservations before a show, asked if we could sit outside, they said they were booked. We were there until 7:30 and no one ever sat out there. Service was great! And the food was delicious. Everyone had a different special and from the soft shell to lamb chops, great flavor and nice presentation. If you like tequila, this is the spot, an entire page of the menu devoted to it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to being regulars!NolagamVIPDined on 8/11/2013A previous dinner service was disappointing,because of inattentive service. As a result,we decided to give the place a rest for awhile. We are happy to report that our recent visit was delightful. We have dined here many times over the years. We will be back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-So SalpiconOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2013We tried this spot based on Chicago newspaper reviews, but were disappointed. While our waitress was pleasant and very knowledgeable about the tequila for our margaritas, the food was just OK. We had quite a selection of appetizers and entrees, so it wasn't just one dish that was disappointing. We were sorry that we hadn't gone to one of our favorite restaurants instead. Oh, and the "regulars" know to bring a mini-flashlight so they can see the menu! A candle on the table would have been a nice addition to not only the ambience but also the eyesight!
- Service Ruined the MealJasonVIPDined on 8/3/2013Had high expectations based on reviews, but service was poor and left us with no desire to return. My wife ordered a vegetarian option until the server stated she wouldn't like it unless she was a vegetarian or vegan. When then asked what would the server recommend between the chicken and the beef entrees, the server said our chicken is "boring". So beef it was! The beef was served well done instead of medium as requested. During our meal we had empty water and margaritas, as there wasn't any attentiveness by the server. Finally, when we received the check, the server quickly became engaged with us and described how a "foreign" customer stiffed her with a 5% tip. I didn't feel sorry for her, since I guess you get what you deserve.
- Great foodCelebrationDined on 7/30/2013Mexican food but not what you would typically expect. I had the scallops and they were wonderful. The wine list is the biggest one I have ever seen. We ended up, however, ordering margaritas using the recommendation of our waiter. Glad we did as they were very tasty. It is a little expensive but well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and service-salmonOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/26/2013Great meal and service-salmon was excellent and so was the guacamoleSpecial Features:
- Our 2nd visit for specialOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/23/2013Our 2nd visit for special occassion. Again, outstanding meal, service and presentation. Very professional, customer friendly restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/22/2013Service was outstanding - all aspects. We ordered the lamb and the salmon - textures, flavours all outstanding. Excellent wine list, thankfully very nice wines at a lower price point as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.