1252 N. Wells St.
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.salpicon.com/
- Phone: (312) 988-7811
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Priscila Satkoff
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Salpicón
Salpicón offers classic & contemporary Mexican cuisine by acclaimed chef Priscila Satkoff (named by Larousse Gastronomique as "One of the Top Chefs of Mexican Cuisine") and recently inducted into the Chicago Culinary Museum's Chefs Hall of Fame, accompanied by a Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence Wine List, served in a fun & festive atmosphere. Tequila fans will enjoy our selection of over 100 selections of super-premium 100% agave Tequila. Enjoy in a Margarita or sip on it's own or in one of our flights. (Please note: Toddlers and infants not allowed on Friday or Saturday nights. Strollers ARE NOT permitted.)Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salpicón reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (34)notable wine list (32)special occasion (23)romantic (15)great for outdoor dining (10)good for groups (9)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Not your normal Mexican fareJPazDined on 11/23/2014A bit of a service glitch for our party of 8-- but great food & friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SalpiconOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014Salpicon is a wonderful restaurant and one of my favorite places to eat in the City. The food is excellent, the service outstanding. I even brought my 13 year old daughter, and she loved it! Some of my favorites are the appetizers (especially the seviche) and the cajeta ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable Birthday DinnerSheriDined on 11/21/2014This was our third visit to Salpicon. The food was fabulous with braised short ribs, quail and fresh Cod. Most notable is the wine list and a perfectly paired bottle recommended by Wanda. Also known for their high end, delicious Tequillas, don't forget to try a smokey Margarita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatGraysmomDined on 11/20/2014Came away disappointed with the overal dining experience here. The place was nearly empty (which was, in retrospect, a bit of a tip-off) and the food was good, but certainly not great. The wait staff was attentive, but not overly eager to work with dietary constraints on the part of one of our guests. Give all the great dning options in Chicago, I will not return here.
- Loves You LessOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2014Salpicon loves itself more than it loves you. There's definitely an attitude on display here. From the bar service to the menu descriptions the overwhelming feeling you get here is we are better than you. It's only dinner guys, ease up, In addition we had to put a credit card down for our reservation of 7 people on a very slow Monday night. The food was quite good however and I might go back without so many co-diners next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- margarita was awesome!dasomeDined on 11/15/2014The staffs were kind and willing to help. Food was exotic and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MenuGaryDined on 11/7/2014Loved the short ribs! the Jalapeno re llano appetizer was excellent. The guac was fresh and good, but had too much lime juice in it. Overall was a great dining experience and would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winefoodDined on 11/6/2014Always pleases the tastebuds and never disappoints! The meal with premium wine tasting is the way to go (always has been), but now, only better with the arrival of Wanda Cole who is responsible for the serious wine program. Each of our 7 courses were taken to the next level by the steady hand of Wanda (not to mention her extensive knowledge of food and wine) which took each pairing to another level of hightened synergy and overall satisfaction. If we lived in Chicago we would dine here at least weekly. But for now, we must always include it as one of our "must" meals during an all too brief stay in the Windy City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must Visit!Globaltraveler82Dined on 11/5/2014Great menu filled with full and blended flavors. List of superior tequilas is surpassed only by the level of service and friendliness. This should be a normal stop for travelers to Chicago whether for business or play. Excellent for business dinners or a romantic foodie experience. The owners/chef really do appreciate your business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014I have never been disappointed when I visit. The best margaritas in the city along with a massive selection of quality Tequila. Anyone I have ever introduced to this restaurant has been very impressed.Special Features:
- always excellentRobertVIPDined on 10/29/2014Not a taco joint which one reviewer was hoping for, but an excellent example of the true taste of MexicoI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mexican preparationsJimPDined on 10/29/2014Salpicon was recommended to me by a Chicago colleague, and did not disappoint. The Menu included many "standard" mexican dishes, but each of them was prepared with some sort of twist: a special added ingredient, a unique technique for preparation, etc. I had a grilled baby octopus salad that was excellent. The staff was a bit rushed, even though the restaurant was not particularly busy, and they did not take any time to explain the menu items, even though it wasn't particularly necessary. The prices were very reasonable. The bar is limited to beer, wine, and tequila drinks.Special Features:
- 10 years, still amazing restaurantOrgFoodLoverDined on 10/25/2014We have been going to Salpicon for 10 years now and every time it's never a disappointment. The selection of tequila is amazing and the food is out of this world. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/24/2014This was the second time we dined at Salpicón. The food was excellent. The fish was very fresh and done perfectly and its sauce was a great complement. The appetizers were shared at our table and everyone enjoyed them. This is an excellent restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/24/2014The food was outstanding but our experience was diminished by the level of noise coming from the table next to ours. They sat us (2 people) in an alcove with a group of 8 and they were so loud we had to strain to have a conversation. Not the restaurant's fault but they should probably reconsider keeping that area just for a big group or several smaller groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighberhood GemAndyDined on 10/17/2014Very different and original Mexican food - entrees were quite innovative,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still outstandingThomasKDined on 10/12/2014Though I miss the old Salpicon, the food, the service, the overall experience were excellent after an absence of about three years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Fine DinnerchapelhillchuckVIPDined on 9/27/2014This is the fifth time having dinner at Salpicon and the complex sauces are what make this a great Mexican restaurant that have moved way beyond the usual Mexican serving of tacos e.t. al. The guacamole is very fresh as are the homemade chips. If you are looking for tequila tasting this is the place with over 80 tequilas at the bar and knowledgeable servers to guide you through the tasting process.Special Features:
- Never DisappointsfoodfanVIPDined on 9/20/2014We have been going to Salipicon for a LONG time. Each time we go we are so glad we did. The food is delicious and the margaritas are outstanding. It's a lovely place to have an excellent meal with friends.Special Features:
- amazing MexicanChicagoDinerDined on 9/19/2014This is the best Mexican restaurant in Chicago. Everyone thinks of Rick Bayless's trio of restaurants when they think of Mexican food in this city, but Salpicón can more than hold its own against Topalabampa. Indeed, this is restaurant could hold its weight with some of the finest restaurants in Mexico City. The chile rellenos with huitzlipotli corn in two sauces, is amazing. Additionally, the crab stuffed nopales, and the tilapia with a chipotle cream sauce are outstanding.Special Features:
- My fav Chicago restaurantPyegirlDined on 9/13/2014This is my favorite restaurant in Chicago hands down. The flavors and sauces are out of this world.Special Features:
- Step It Up!LadyVVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I celebrated Valentine's Day at Salpicon and had a wonderful experience, so I decided to return for my birthday. We brought along two foodie friends to share the fun. Unfortunately, we didn't have the same overall experience. The evening started out a bit awkward when we were sat in a crowded area way in the back by the kitchen (with a reservation!). We did a lot of waiting; however, I felt that the sommelier kind of rushed our wine order (although her choice was excellent!). Then when our food came, some of us didn't have utensils and we had to wait...again. There were lots of little moments like this that were just not expected when you are paying $100 per person. The food, however, was very good. It's a tough call.Special Features:
- By far, best food in Old TownDiningwithTPVIPDined on 9/12/2014This is the first review I've ever written, but after my experience at Salpicon, I knew I had to. I had heard great things about, so I decided to try it on a recent, rainy Friday evening. Tequila and wine list are impressive. The guacamole was the best I've ever had (chunky, delicious). We had two specials (mahi mahi and pork chile relleno) that were amazing. We (and diners near us) cleaned our plates. The service was equally fantastic. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gormet mexicanJustVisitingDined on 9/11/2014Nothing recognizable from a normal mexican menu, all delicious, stellar wine list and sommelier. Great service. A home run from a Wine Spectator recommendation.Special Features:
- Imaginative Mexican cuisinesdfoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014We've been going to Salpicon for years and have never been disappointed. There are several restaurants in Chicago competing in the "gourmet" niche, however pound for pound, Salpicon punches well above its weight in value and experience. A well-imagined wine list and wine pairing recommendations with particular dishes is well worth the trip to Old Town. Our only criticism this visit was the rushed dining experience-- primarily from the bus staff.Special Features:
- Top notchDekeDined on 8/19/2014Our server was enthusiastic, entertaining and knowledgeable. Yes, they do upsell the tequila with the margaritas, but It ended up being a plus. Between us, we sampled four tequilas , selected by our server, which proved to be a fun and tasty journey. Of note - outstanding ceviche, and wonderfully created sauces.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dull and uninspiredWardineVIPDined on 8/17/2014Perhaps this was once a fine restaurant; if so nowadays it is a mere shell; over salted zestless pre-made guacamole; salsa using canned tomatoes; a tasteless corn soup; grillled fish buried under a salsa fresca that was two thirds cilantro; and stodgy sopes. No wonder the restaurant was half empty.
- Great mealMikeandMoDined on 8/16/2014Nice setting, informed server, varied menu. We were able to find non spicy food, which we needed for one of our party. The server was a bit over bearing, recommending expensive drinks. Extensive tequila and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mole to die for at Salpicón!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/9/2014We started our meal with delicious soft shell crabs bathed in sweet garlic, paired with Domaine Amiot Guy et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet. The pièce de résistance of the meal was the crispy duck leg confit with tender breast served with an oaxacan black mole, washed down with a 2005 Domaine Terlato & Chapoutier Shiraz. This was by far the best mole we have ever eaten and it was a transformative experience—dark, stormy and sensuous. The flavors were so intense that a private room was desired to savor each delectable mouthful. Chef Priscila Satkoff outdid herself. We have been to Salpicón many times and even celebrated our wedding there but this was an unforgettable meal. Bravo!
- High-end twist on MexicanShawnDined on 8/6/2014Great apps and main dishes that were unexpected twists on Mexican flavors. A huge wine list. We'll go back for sure!Special Features:
- It's SlippingcitykidVIPDined on 8/2/2014We've been going to Salpicon for years. Our last visit on August 2, 2014, is probably our final time there. The waiter was ok, not great. Sort of insincere, and not that attentive. The food is not cheap, so we expect excellence. The food was not excellent, as it used to be. I'm really sorry to have had this less than stellar experience. If this was an average priced Mexican restaurant, it would be fine. But this is nowhere near average price, so I think diners deserve and expect something better. On the positive side, the tequila flight was good, and so was the guacamole.Special Features:
- Good food, great serviceMeeMooDined on 8/2/2014Salpicon was a very nice restaurant. I thought the presentation, atmosphere, and service was all top-notch. Very attentive and our water glasses never went empty. The food was delicious. We had the ceviche, guacamole, the cod, the tenderloin, and the espresso cake with ice cream. The food was absolutely tasteful with just the right about of spice and kick. I did feel the portions were a little on the small side. Either that or they should serve with smaller plates, so the food doesn't look so tiny on the plate. I felt the tenderloin was well seasoned and cooked perfectly medium rare. I did find the portion to be on the smaller end for the actual price paid. Salpicon has a huge wine list and a plethora of tequila choices.Special Features:
- Great food!!Dbh2Dined on 7/31/2014The food was amazing! Service was great I would highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 985 reviews are from the Salpicón reviews archive.
- Still going strong!grasshopper2Dined on 7/28/2014I hadn't been back for a while. I liked the brighter interior (yellow wall not dark blue) Salpicon! is still serving delicious gourmet Mexican. It's the only place in Chicago with a full page of Tequilas available, and the Margaritas are made with fresh squeezed limes (and optionally Cointreau if you like the extra sweetness.) The food is delicious; and although i can't eat the soft-shelled crabs, others at my table enjoyed them.Special Features:
- Great little placeLuvGoodFoodDined on 7/27/2014This is not your typical Mexican restaurant! We did the 7 course Chef's Tasting and everything was delicious. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeGDined on 7/18/2014First time at this restaurant. Went with the small plates for sharing and it seemed afterward that we made the right choice. Lots of good items to select from. Some were a bit spicy for one of our party, but the rest of us liked everything. Good margaritas - made with fresh juices which for me is a must. Good selection of tequilas for the margaritas, but I personally feel that margaritas need good, but not great tequila. Would definitely try again.Special Features:
- Great Sommelier!AwesomeWineBarDined on 7/12/2014Our experience could have not been the same without their Outstanding Sommelier! Thank you so much Wanda!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in all aspectsLAmosDined on 7/11/2014This was my second time dining at Salpicon, and much like the original visit everything was fantastic. The food is amazing and full of great flavors and the service is equally wonderful. Add in a vast wine list and extensive tequila menu and you have all the makings of a great night. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Must trydebnjamesDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I have been going here for over a decade! They re-did the whole place since we were last there and it looks amazing now! The margaritas are perfect. The seviche is the best I've ever had and the best entree is filete de res en salsa de moritas con hongos. It is grilled steak with melted Chihuahua cheese, served in a spicy tomatillo-morita sauce with shiitakes and Mexican rice. So good.Special Features:
- Mexican SupremedjoyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Why go to Frontera when you have Salpicon? Outstanding Mexican cuisine with unmatched guacamole and desserts. A Wells St. gem with an ultra-friendly staff. You will not be disappointed.Special Features: