255 Elm St
Somerville, MA 02144Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saloondavis.com/
- Phone: 6176284444
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 1:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Derek Clough
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Private Party Contact: Tracy Witkin 6176284444
A word from Saloon
Located in the heart of Davis Square, Saloon is inspired by the iconic New York City pre-prohibition establishment. With a focus on brown liquors and local beers, Saloon calls reference to a time when drinks were serious and uncomplicated. In the early 1900s, the saloon was the standard institution prominently found on street corners across major cities in young America. The bar program at Saloon features whiskey-based cocktails inspired by the era's classic drinks. Chef Derek Clough has created a menu intended for sharing that combines historic American fare with contemporary favorites. A native New Englander, Executive Chef Derek Clough has created a menu at Saloon that is inspired by the historic American fare that was brought to the US through European colonization. Infused with modern day elements, the result is a menu that pays tribute to the culinary story of the pre-prohibition United States. Enter through a sleek wood door underneath the blinking Davis Square Theatre sign.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Saloon - Best Restaurants in Somerville ›
Saloon reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (23)neighborhood gem (18)fit for foodies (16)late-night find (15)hot spot (12)special occasion (11)romantic (9)good for groups (5)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- ssmithDined on 8/20/2014Quality of the food was very inconsistent, quantities were poor value. The deconstructed cheesecake was a pathetic joke.
- Good Find for Katy PerryWhyccoftDined on 8/8/2014Well if Saloon is good enough for Katy Perry to come to on her short trip to Boston, guess it is truly a great find for those of us lucky to be here People Magazine - 5 days ago On Sunday afternoon, Perry stopped by Dunkin' Donuts in the ... she and Novak headed out for drinks at Saloon in the trendy Somerville ..Special Features:
- Good, but rather overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/1/2014We had been to Saloon a few times in the fall and winter and thought it was very cozy and really enjoyed it. Our food was delicious, but I think that the appetizers were really overpriced. For instance, three sliders were $17 and four dates wrapped in bacon were $12. I think that's a little steep along with charging $10 for rather weak mojitos. It was also really cold in the restaurant due to the a/c being on too high. I don't think that we'll be in a rush to go back anytime soon due to our last experience. While I said that I'd recommend this place, it's solely due to the food, not the overall experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great Experience at SaloonWhyccoftDined on 7/28/2014Last night as always we had a wonderful dining experience at Saloon. Sarah, the hostess sets the tone as do the great, high energy service people. The food, steak, salmon, and short ribs with the accompanying vegetables were all superb; the cocktails, wine and rich chocolate carmel dessert remain favorites.Special Features:
- still hungryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014overall, the experience was pleasant but the entire group felt that while the food was tasty, it was not enough for the $22+ entrees and a $5 basket of bread. we also noticed our cocktails getting smaller by the round. Our waitress (Shea) was exceptional and easy to talk to about the complaints.Special Features:
- Date in a Speak-EasygreencityguyDined on 7/18/2014He had said that he was hoping to check out a classic speak-easy in the Boston area so I did some research and took him to saloon for our date. Classic atmosphere that would only have been improved if the patrons dressed as well period-esque as the bar-keeps did! Hostess was kind enough to accommodate my request for a special table, which was appreciated. The food and waitress were quite good as well. I'll certainly go back!Special Features:
- Excellent as always!TroyHVIPDined on 7/9/2014I always make a point to go to Saloon whenever I'm in Boston. The space is old-world cool and the food is really good, but the craft cocktails are Saloon's raison d'être. The menus (food & bar) are updated frequently, so something new & exciting is always waiting, but they can also (usually) recreate an old favorite if you ask. I've taken work friends, personal friends & complete strangers (ok, maybe not that last one) here and they all rave about it. Do yourself a favor & go!Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014I brought my friend here for his birthday dinner, and the restaurant was just as I hoped it would be. Ambiance was eclectic, and tasteful. The wood paneling and bar hit "prohibition era" mark. Drinks were excellent, and the food was great as well. I was a little nervous after seeing a few of the negative reviews, but the experiences was superb.Special Features:
- Great drinks, Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014This bar has excellent cocktails and a whiskey selection befitting its name. Surprisingly, the food is also very good. I would recommend the steak. I ordered it medium rare and found it nicely crispy on the outside, pink with a hint of red on the inside, very juicy, and flavorful. Very nice, attentive service with good recs and humor. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Boston TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014It's rare for me to be absolutely blown away by both the food and level of service-- but Saloon excelled at both. The beverage manager took time out of his Saturday night to come to our table and create a custom whiskey flight. He then explained the history behind each of the selections, and came back several times to answer all of my questions. He was clearly very passionate and knowledgeable. Our waitress was equally exceptional, allowing us to spend 3 hours at our table without feeling rushed, and making sure that we were taken care of without hovering. The salmon and mushroom pasta were equally amazing. This is the kind of place I'd like to become a regular at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not go againLukaDined on 5/23/2014We ordered a few appetizers and salmon, asking fir "well done" salmon. One of appetizers was wrong, we didn't order it. Salmon was raw. We asked to have salmon "well done" but the second was raw again. They took it from our bill but it didn't change the fact that one of us didn't get what she wanted. It was very loud. In the rest room all paper towels were wet, probably because they were put next to faucet. Only nice impression - the hostess there.
- Happening basement speakeasysattler360Dined on 5/23/2014We wandered around Davis Square for a few minutes before finding Saloon (hint: look for the globe light with the tiny logo on it), but once we made our way down the long staircase that turned from annoyance into coolness. The place looks like it's been there for a century (maybe it has) - epically solid oak arches holding up the ceiling, long bar, antiqued mirrors. Silver-haired steakhouse waiters and gentlemen enjoying port wouldn't have been out of place, instead we got a beautiful waitress with tasteful tattoos and a crowd of energetic Saturday night Davis Square hipsters - the kind with a bit of money in their pockets. Food was above average (short ribs=win; sliders=okay), service a bit slow (busy night), but otherwise a new favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and drinks!!FireWolfDined on 5/10/2014This is an awesome place for drinks and snacks! There is always a few entrees as well but the limited selection has been consistently fabulous. So not great if you want a lot of choice for dinner but the food has been top notch. I've been here several times and what really stands out to me is that the service has always been the best around. From the funny and welcoming front Hostess to the bus boys coming around with water and/or for cleanup. The uniqueness about this place is the "western type speakeasy" ambiance and one of the best whiskey selections around. With bartenders who love the challenge of being given a few ingredients to create a great cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartinDined on 4/30/2014We went to saloon to celebrate my fiancé's birthday with a group of friends on a Wednesday night. We totaled 6 in all. At 7pm the place was relatively empty. By the time we left around 9:40 the place was energetic, but not overly crowded. It seemed like it would be difficult to get a table on a weekend. The cocktail list was interesting, if a bit heavy on mezcal and some other harder to stomach spirits. Saloon is probably best known for its whiskey/burbon menu and it definitely did not disappoint in that category. The food was fabulous, both main course and deserts. The music selection was good and the decor was priceless. Overall this place is great. I'd very happily go again. Probably not the best place for kids or a quiet mealSpecial Features:
- The following 137 reviews are from the Saloon reviews archive.
- Too loud to hear a thingOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/19/2014The food was good but the service was just okay. The noise level however was crazy. Shouting was necessary in order to be heard. Disappointing.
- Great place, more climate controlGgarddineDined on 4/18/2014Great food (oysters, pork, chacuterie) and good service, especially considering how busy it was. Great cocktails as well, easy to buy into the speakeasy theme. Only major complaint was the temperature inside, too hot to really be comfortable which begins to impinge on the other factors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food & BeveragesWilley54Dined on 4/9/2014Great spirits list with so many choices on whisky, good food even though it's a little pricy compare to the quantity. Great service and our wait staff was very friendly (Kristina). Overall it's our first try and we definitely will come back for any special occassions which we have almost every 2 weeks...Special Features:
- Loved the underground speakeasyPegTDined on 4/4/2014Loved the underground speakeasy feel! Hard to find the place but great once your in!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always have a good timeW000Dined on 3/29/2014We always have a good time at saloon. Friendly staff. Good service. Drinks were excellent and the appetizers were so good we ordered a second round of them. Definitely don't skip the devils on horseback.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014It was too loud to hear my dinner companions. The food and drinks were fine, but not good enough to make up for the fact that it was way too loud. And I am under forty, so it's not like I'm ancient.Special Features:
- Great atmosphereCpaperaDined on 3/21/2014Delicious food and a great atmosphere! Love the speak easy feel. Good for drinks and cocktails as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From wild boar to Rhum agricoleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014I have been to Saloon twice in the past month and would definitely recommend it for a fun evening where you want great food and some really amazing drinks. I was very impressed with their cocktails and the food was Excellent. The wild boar special and beef cheek were outstanding. The oysters and even the rep pepper poppers we had were excellent. The wait staff were very friendly and super efficient despite the fact that the place was packed both times. Couple all this with a very lively and energetic atmosphere ..this is indeed one of the best venues for an evening of good food and great drinks. The fact that Saloon is modeled on on the speakeasy made one definitely think that prohibition must have been a tonne of fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great birthday DinnerRonBDined on 3/7/2014We went for a birthday dinner, it was a chance to try out a new place. We were seated and the night started out slow. But after some drinks, our neighbors decided to liven things up, spilling a beer at their table that invaded our seats. But our waitstaff was on top of things and got the mess cleaned up quick, dinner back to normal. That couple left and was replaced by a new 4 top, that quickly expanded to 6. Then 8. Then 10. The staff was more than accommodating to us. They gave us a new table, that had more room and allowed a nice night of people watching. Dinner was fantastic and one of the best in Davis Square. What is lacked in selection, is made up for in quality. I very much am excited to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingSpaceLobsterDined on 3/7/2014I made a reservation for 8 people, called the day before and said it might be more like 15, and asked if that would be alright. The hostess said she could make that change, and I called again the next day (just 2 hours before my reservation) to confirm that 15 still seemed accurate. When a few of us arrived I said it looked like it would be more like 8 after all, and that was fine too -- another party was able to be seated next to us. When more people DID show up it was just as easy to pull up a few more chairs. Very flexible, relaxed, and customer-oriented. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and drinks, great venueDutchDined on 3/1/2014Decor is strong, great escape. Food served is hearty, bold flavors, especially suited for carnivores. Cocktail program is best in Davis Square and ranks up there with the best in the area. Extensive whiskey list. Tends to get full and loud, in a good, boisterous, energized way.Special Features:
- The Best Know, Hidden SpotBTurcotteDined on 2/28/2014Second time at Saloon for Dinner and was once again quite pleased. Great, friendly, attentive service, and the food and drinks as always were spot on. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small menu great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2014The restaurant has a great interior and vibe. It's probably not perfect for a romantic dinner but the food quality was amazing. We had the gnocchi and stake both were great. The troffle fries we're delishes. We went on a Sunday so the menu was small but the food quality was amazing. Very laud and busy and the food runner gave our salad to someone else. So we waited a long time before our first course and no apologies until we asked about our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night!CambridgeLocalDined on 2/14/2014Saloon really is a hidden gem- in that it has the smallest sign ever. Meant to give of the speak-easy vibe, Saloon has a good menu and an even better cocktail list. Food was really good, though a bit salty. I had the fried red pepper appetizer and the salmon. The bartenders make a mean Manhattan. Would go here again for a special occasion any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Speakeasy styleMinionionDined on 2/14/2014We enjoyed our Valentines Day dinner at Saloon, selecting items from their special menu for the day. Everything was prepared perfectly and quite delicious. Saloon offers an excellent selection of whiskeys and their whiskey cocktails are innovative and unlike what most restaurants serve. I prefer the simpler recipes - Manhattan, Old Fashioned - and these were expertly mixed. While prices are on the high end for the area, the experience is worth it and I highly recommend Saloon for a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding cocktail menu.jksmith4VIPDined on 2/10/2014Outstanding cocktail menu. I was never a big brown liquor fan (scotch, rye, bourbon) until I came here. The drinks are creative and I have gone back several times to sample more of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDudetkaDined on 2/8/2014This place is kinda hidden and unless you look for an address you won't see it. But, it's pretty cool once you get there. I liked the ambiance. It almost felt like we were transported back in time. The food was good. We had their app special and I had salmon which was cooked perfectly (not overlooked). My boyfriend had the short ribs that he said were ok, but not great. They have house wine for just $5 a glass. The place is right next door to the theater, where we saw a comedy act. It was convenient to be so close. I would come here again!Special Features:
- I took some friends from outOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2014I took some friends from out of town here. The food was at best mediocre and the service (when it existed) was quite poor. Our inattentive waitress did not bother to check on us during the hour we waited for our food and again not until we were almost done. One of the steaks was so under-cooked it looked raw and both had as much gristle and fat as meat. My salmon was dry and overcooked, while our other dining companion's dish, a special of parsley dumplings, made my friend ill later that night. Before ordering, she asked how the dumplings were and the waitress responded, "I don't know, they have parsley" but failed to mention the dish also had lobster. Overall disappointed in the dining experience. The bar has more to recommend.Special Features:
- Other than the melted cheeseGrumpyDined on 1/18/2014Other than the melted cheese appetizer, the food was very mediocre. With so many restaurants around, there is no reason I'd return or recommend this one. My niece, however (32) lives in the area and likes it So there you are.Special Features:
- Poor menu options - hardlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/7/2014Poor menu options - hardly anything for vegeterians to choose from. Vast whisky selection was impressive.Special Features:
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2014Great food, great drinks. Their specials were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best atmosphere aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2013My favorite place in Davis, hands-down. Saloon has a distinctive atmosphere that you just can't find elsewhere (and you just can't beat, in my opinion). If you like whiskey drinks, small (but carefully crafted) food menus, and pre-prohibition-era charm and glamour, you will love Saloon. If you don't, you are wrong.Special Features:
- Monk fish special not cooked wellOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013Fish should flake with a fork, unfortunately my husband's required a fork & knife...just barely cooked. The pickled peppers apps were delicious, and my sliders were great.Special Features:
- Great Bar / RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/20/2013With a name like Saloon, it is what you'd expect. A prominent bar with dinner tables set off in the adjacent room, but still with a clear view of the bar. Classy - dark - wood paneled - downstairs cellar ambiance. We were there early on a Friday night, before a show, for dinner so it was "lively". Food was fantastic, guys had guy food (braised pork shank, braised short ribs) and the girls had girl food (pan seared salmon, winter squash risotto) and everyone raved about theirs. Not a place for martinis (for me) as their gin list, though high end, was short. This is a WHISKEY bar. One of the best rye Manhattans I've ever had. Waitresses were fun and friendly and food was out of the kitchen in short order. It was hard not to have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereDownthesquareDined on 12/7/2013Nice restaurant in the heart of Davis Square. In a very speakeasy design, one is immediately drawn into the atmosphere. Good drinks, nice bar. The food was very good, not 5 star level but was nicely done.Special Features:
- UniqueCrashCondoVIPDined on 11/25/2013I've been to a lot of restaurants. The only word that comes to mind to describe this place is unique. Unique in many aspects, food, drinks, ambiance, service, decor, this place has it all and delivers high grades for each. Try the bacon wrapped dates and feta! Mind boggling good! The truffle fries will make you weep! One hint. There is no external sign for this place. It's kind of speakeasy-ish. The entrance is an unassuming brown door. adjacent to the Foundry. Go. Go now.Special Features: