200 East Chestnut Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SteakPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saloonsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 3122805454
- Hours of Operation:
Open for Lunch Monday through Saturday at 11:30 a.m Open for Dinner Monday through Thursday from 4:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. Open for Dinner Friday and Saturday from 4:00 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. Open for Dinner Sunday at 4:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Boris Kirzhner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Wine Room is perfect for intimate dining events. This semi-private seating area can accommodate up to 35 guests. It is a wonderful venue for corporate dinners, birthdays, anniversaries or rehearsal dinners.
- Special Events: Our Semi-private Wine Room is available for private events from ten to 35 guests. Our pre-set event menus and wine lists are available for view at www.saloonsteakhouse.com
- Cross Street: Mies Van Der Rohe
- Public Transit: Bus 151, 145, 146, 147, 148 / Red Line @ Chicago Ave.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: The Saloon Steakhouse is located in The Seneca Hotel. The Seneca offers valet parking for $10 for up to three hours with Saloon Validation. The Saloon will also validate parking at 260 East Chestnut at $8 for up to 4 hours. Please bring your ticket with you.
A word from Saloon Steakhouse
The Saloon Steakhouse specializes in American fare including the finest steaks and seafood. One of Chicago's best kept secrets, The Saloon has been dazzling locals and tourists for almost 21 years. Three-time recipient of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. "A Streeterville locals’ secret that does just what it should do, this clubby steakhouse serves some of the finest beef, including succulent Wagyu (prized by patrons as 'on the money') and fine, fine martinis too in classy, pleasant surroundings (the perfect place for a business lunch”...-ZagatContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Saloon Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
- Delicious steaks and side dishesMedillianDined on 12/26/2013Took a party of 4 to Saloon Steakhouse and was pleasantly surprised at everything -- especially the steaks and side dishes. And I wasn't alone. My entire party commented on the food and service. The Saloon bar also is well-known in the neighborhood as a gem and it was truly hopping with old and young! We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok time at saloonSteveVIPDined on 12/26/2013Been to Saloon a number of times over the yrs. Although food was good and generally is it is now overpriced, with prices comparable to Chicago Cut and Del Frisco's, which are significantly higher quality choices for an overall dining experience. Would also say that the wine list is a bit lackluster as well. I would now put the Saloon more in category of Carmichael's steak house on Monroe st for similar dining experience. So, although the experience was good I would think twice about going there vs the other high end choices I mentioned above that are similarly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steaks galoreHammerDined on 12/12/2013Expensive, but well worth it! Great, but unobtrusive service. Very niche inside.Special Features:
- Enjoyed experiencejeffDined on 12/11/2013I had a group of seven people and we had a very good experience. The service was very attentive but not overbearing. It was nice.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Meat LoversKalexDined on 12/9/2013I chose the Saloon, because my friend, whom I was treating to lunch, enjoys steak. I am a vegetarian. From my perspective, it would be nice if the Saloon had a few more veg-friendly choices. My friend and I both had salads....hers was steak salad, mine was a goat cheese salad, but extremely skimpy on the cheese and salad. I guess the restaurant thinks the salads are appetizers, but for some of us, they're the main course. There should be a larger salad option, or something like a meatless pasta entree. Also, as far as service, they're a little bit off. My friend ordered tea, and was brought a selection of teabags, but she had to ask for sweetener. And then had to ask for a spoon to stir!
- CozyFood2luvDined on 12/8/2013What a wonderful spot. Food is awesome. We had prime rib and filet both done to perfection. Our waiter Richard was the best. This was our second visit here. It will be our place to dine next year when we visit the city. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/6/2013There's plenty of other places in Chicago to enjoy a steak, and it'll likely be same price or cheaper, and better quality all around. I don't really understand how this place remains popular.
- Not up to parStreeterDined on 11/29/2013Waiter talked my daughter into getting her filet rarer than she wanted it. He said he could always bring it back to the kitchen to be warmed up a little more. Fine. But he never came back to check on us after the food was served and we had to flag down the hostess. Even though she had actually spit out a portion of the meat, there was not even an apology, or any extra meat brought back. The portions of the steak Diane were so small it was ridiculous. But the meat was good & the pork chop my husband ordered was very good. Bread pudding sounded fantastic, but was very dry. All in all, not as good as previous meals there.
- ServiceSonnyDined on 11/23/2013This used to be one of our favorite restaurants. This time was different, the food was still very good and we got seated on time, but we had the rudest waiter ever! He was crabby and kept walking away from us as we were ordering. We had friends from Michigan which had never been to this restaurant and I was sorry I had taken them there. NEVER AGAIN!
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 11/23/2013The waiter was rude & standoffish. Poor service and way over priced steaks. Will not return.Special Features:
- DisappointedNot2goodDined on 11/16/2013I made a reservation based on rave reviews as well as a personal recommendation. We were celebrating our anniversary so I made the reservation and added a note to the restaurant hoping for a quiet corner table. Instead we were at a table next to a party of 11 guys and could barely hear each other talk. We ordered the bone in filet - medium -- but it came out more medium rare -- we couldn't even each the meat close to the bone because it was so raw. The service was not impressive -- we mentioned that this was are first visit but he made no recommendations on food, wine, etc..and seemed more excited to help the table of 11 guys than ensure that we were having an enjoyable evening. I would not go out of my way to go back.Special Features:
- Food was very good, thoughAndreaBDined on 11/10/2013Food was very good, though I don't like looking at raw meat in a "table demonstration." The people next to us had a different server, and apparently there was some prix fixe deal that we weren't told about, and we had already ordered. We found the first bottle of wine on the sour side so sent it back and it was cheerfully replaced by the sommelier. Our server, Marco, was mostly attentive.Special Features:
- Fabulous 1st VisitDaleDined on 11/9/2013The 3 of us finally dined here after reading review in Windy City Times. It proved to an experience that we will surely repeat! Richard our server w/Frank & the other staff combined with the vast wine/menu selections made this a memorable event. Richard fully explained all wine/menu offerings, even the Manager & Chef stopped by during meal to ensure our enjoyment. This is a Chicago Gem just off Mag Mile east of Water Tower Place & one of 2restaurants @Chestnut Hotel. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prime beef in ChicagoStpaul13Dined on 11/6/2013Beef is the word! Quality, presentation & preparation are all outstanding! Warm, intimate environment just off Michigan Ave. by the Hancock Tower. My wife and I only get to visit Chicago occasionally, but since discovering this restaurant, we have made eating here a tradition every time we're in town.Special Features:
- nice local / not touristyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/1/2013The Saloon Steakhouse was a last minute recommendation by friends who live in Chicago. The steaks are wonderful (like many Chicago steak houses) but what we like about it the most is that the atmosphere is more low key. It is not a tourist destination. You won't see it listed in all the Tourist magazines. My husband had the bone-in filet and it was fabulous! The staff is friendly and attentive without being pushy. Cocktails were strong and they have a nice wine list. Centrally located- we walked from our hotel at N Michigan and Illinois. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seeing an old friendHollister64Dined on 11/1/2013While visiting in Chicago we took time to enjoy the Saloon. It was like seeing an old friend, from the great service, delicious food and relaxing ambiance. It was the perfect start to a great Friday evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden SecretNaz57VIPDined on 11/1/2013The Saloon offers an extremely good dining experience with a casual setting. The food is on par with the finest steakhouses in Chicago without all the fanfare. Great steaks, chops, and seafood and a friendly fairly priced wine list. Don't tell too many people....I want to keep it a secretSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls day outButtercup8561Dined on 10/26/2013My 5 wonderful friends and I went to a matinee at water tower theatre and I immediately picked The Saloon for our dinner. It was fabulous !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/26/2013Found this restaurant recommended on a social networking site while searching for info on the standard Chicago steakhouses (Mortons,etc). Chose this one as it suggested it was a locals favourite and not to packed all the time. Well it didn't disappoint! It is situated under a private apartment building/hotel which gives it a nice "out-of-the-way" feel. Attentive service but not overbearing and a good mix of fellow diners. Food well presented and cooked exactly as was asked. All told a classy feel and good place to visit if staying in Chicago. Also was nice to dress up while on vacation and not wonder why you bothered! No problem getting a taxi outside in Chestnut Street upon leaving - always loads around there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingCeleneDined on 10/18/2013My husband and I come here a couple times a year and we are never disappointed! A Chicago hidden Charm.Special Features:
- lorrainedinerDined on 10/12/2013We had a very enjoyable time. Food was very good, prices good, waiter good. The only thing was my husband wanted the ribs, and the waiter did not tell us they were out of them when we received our menus. You know when you see something and it is not available, it is kind of disappointing. Other than that is was very good. We would definitely recommend, and be back.Special Features:
- Saloon SteakhouseChicagoBobDined on 10/4/2013Had a friend visiting Chicago at the last minute on a Friday and couldn't get a reservation at the places I usually go, such as Gibson's, Erie or Rosebud. Saloon Steakhouse was a great find. It's a low key place not as intense as a lot of steakhouses. It was busy yet not jammed so it was great to visit leisurely. Everything about it was great. Seemed liked it may be a tad less expensive than some of the other well known Chicago steakhouses. Nothing to criticize about it. It's not an exciting hot spot which was great for us!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seating issuesJamesVIPDined on 9/28/2013We have eaten here a few times owing mainly to the restaurant's location. The food is good, but nothing extraordinary and it is expensive. We had an early dinner reservation (5pm) and naturally the restaurant was empty. We were seated in a booth on the street side which was fine. Just after we were seated, a family arrived with two small children and were seated in the booth next to ours. As it turned out the kids were well behaved (kudos to the parents), but of course we didn't know how it would turn out until well into our dinner. When I go to a restaurant where the bill is $100 plus per person and a glass of wine is $14 or $16, I expect a different experience than when dining at the Cheescake Factory. Caveat Emptor!
- Food is good...... - DailysexxyVIPDined on 9/22/2013Food is good...... - Daily special chilian sea bass with tomatoe jam was lucioous! Servicers are all so sweet and eager to please. Great go-to neighborhood dining room & bar.Special Features:
- Under cooked and underwhelmedUnderwhelmedVIPDined on 9/21/2013I was underwhelmed by the food and the staff. The Server did not go over all the specials for the night. After we ordered I over heard another server give out a detailed list of all the specials. We ordered a bone-in ribeye to split. The server placed hot plates in front of us and then 10 minutes later the wrong steak came out. We waited for the correct steak to arrive. Meanwhile our sides and the plates continued to cool. The steak was order med-rare but it was more on the rare side. The sides were acceptable but would have tasted better if hot. The dessert was very good. Banana Cream pie with an oreo crust. Very yummy.
- A great mealUKVisitorDined on 9/20/2013I have recently had 2 solo meals at this restaurant while on a visit to Chicago. The ambience is excellent for the individual diner with a modest noise level, ample space and very attentive staff. The menu is fairly traditional but this was what I wanted. It is not cheap but the quality is high and I felt very comfortable on both occasions. Thoroughly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mike is a great waiter. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2013Mike is a great waiter. The visit from the General Manager to ensure customer satisfaction was a nice touch, too. Always a great time at this restaurant.Special Features:
- My girlfriend and I splitLinda1955VIPDined on 9/18/2013My girlfriend and I split the Kansas City steak...........it was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. Twice baked potato.....amazing.Special Features:
- Hidden Away...thedempsterVIPDined on 9/15/2013We finally tried Saloon Steakhouse. It is a lovely restaurant! Food was excellent and service was attentive, helpful and just outstanding (Richard was our waiter). It is next to the lobby of the Seneca Hotel and it doesn't seem to receive much fanfare. Masculine, clubby decor with romantic lighting. My husband and I shared the bone in filet (great flavor) and a salad, along with excellent creamed spinach. Highly recommend this restaurant for a romantic date or for groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden steakhouse GemfemalebusinesstravelerDined on 9/5/2013Had a great meal, and as a real plus for a female business traveler, they had a small serving steak selection with potatoes and vegetable together! Steak was cooked well with a demi glace and blue cheese topping! I was very pleased and will be back. Nice clubby old world feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the meal was good,JimmyVIPDined on 8/28/2013Overall the meal was good, however, the pork chop I had was a little tuff, it could have been tenderized better. Service was excellent. The other persons in my party would satisfied and had excellent meals. I would try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steaks and BurgerIrishkateVIPDined on 8/26/2013The steaks are fantastic, but if you want the best burger in the city, have the Saloon Burger!! It's the best and the fries are homemade and delicious. The service is impeccable and if you save room for dessert, try the brownie sundae or key lime pie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago Gem!JrockitDined on 8/24/2013This place is just plain great! Excellent bar, low key ambience, wonderful food and wine, and a very helpful staff. We've been here many times and it never disappoints! A true Mile North Gem! Thanks for another wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteaksValerieDined on 8/18/2013The steaks are the best! They even offer bone-in fillet. Got a Cabernet , half-price that night, that was delicious. No view but attractive decor, a rich comfortable environment. Good sound buffers, generous table size for two. The service is usually excellent but I don' understand their obvious policy of removing their delicious crusty bread the moment you finish your salad/soup. Who doesn't want a little bread with their steak? It also makes you feel rushed even before the entree ! We asked it to be returned and got a "look" but they did it. They also have fish, most with serious treatment. We like simply baked or sautéed --I haven't asked if they would do a special order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first visit to Chicago.....VickiDined on 8/10/2013feel very fortunate to have found the Saloon Steakhouse....wonderful food, service.....will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Just a wonderful place toOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/3/2013Just a wonderful place to go for a nice meal and drinks - lunch or dinner - always great food and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Classic Steak HouseshopperDined on 8/3/2013We had gone there several years ago and had not been back for about 10 years because we had not been back for whatever reason. We were glad to see that the restaurant is still very popular and the food was still fabulous. We had a nice friendly waiter, our only negative is that there was a long wait between courses.Special Features:
- A great place to celebratetopratedDined on 8/3/2013It's clubby atmosphere and terrific food make it a classic choice!Special Features:
- One of our favorites...a goJGPMDined on 8/2/2013One of our favorites...a go to for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Been going there for overOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2013Been going there for over 20 years every time we're in Chicago. This time due to diet restraints we special ordered and changed their standard menu and our server and the chef were more than accommodating. It was excellent as usual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.