750 S 7th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saloonrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 2156271811
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Oscar Reyes/Jerome Palumbo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Special Events: On this monday, August 12 we will have a special guest chef, Stacy Diplaccido. She is the head chef at Fitzwater Cafe and an instructor at COOK! She will be offering a special menu for that night from 5pm to 10pm. Regular menu will still be available.
A word from Saloon Restaurant
Entering the Saloon, a family owned restaurant since it opened in 1967 is a bit like stepping into Philadelphia's past. Dark oak paneling, shiny brass and authentic local antiques create a warm congenial and casual atmosphere. The choice of two comfortable dining rooms each with its own vintage bars make dining and conversation a relaxed and enjoyable experience. Both bars feature a delicious and moderately priced food menu. The menu is Italian with seafood specials such as grilled octopus and dover sole. Saloon steaks and veal chops are legendary. Many prefer a plate of fried long hot peppers to compliment the steaks. All desserts and gelatos are made on the premises daily. The Saloon is a Philadelphia neighborhood bar and restaurant with a national reputation. And the parking is FREE!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Saloon Restaurant - Best Restaurants in South Philly ›
Saloon Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (31)romantic (18)good for groups (17)fit for foodies (16)notable wine list (9)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)Show More
- Always a great meal.SeanGDined on 9/11/2014Love this place and their food. You can never go wrong. The bread and pesto sauce is the best!!Special Features:
- Old schoolSoosDined on 9/5/2014Old Philly classic. Ambiance is terrific. Some staff better than others. The young Tatoo crowd as most places, too casual, not knowledgeable. Our server got better over the course of the meal but at one point trashing another Philly institution. Not professional or necessary. Some apps were great, others just ok. We ordered 3 entrees to share between 4 after 4 appetizers, and a pasta to share. The veal dish was tasteless and swimming 1n a heavy brown sauce. The steak and whole fish were both very good. Dessert was a highlight.Special Features:
- A South Philly GemBobertDined on 9/4/2014We couldn't fault anything about our dinner. The service was attentive and friendly but not overbearing, and the delivery of each course was paced exactly right. The Italian wedding soup was delicious, as was the split pea soup. My lobster Francaise was perfectly prepared, as was my wife's penne pasta in a spicy meat sauce, which had just the right amount of spice and firmness of the pasta. Save room for dessert because you won't be able to refuse ordering one of the temptations presented on the dessert tray. The homemade tiramisu gelato was delicious. Complementary valet parking is an added plus in this South Philly neighborhood where on-street parking is nearly impossible to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveItalianVIPDined on 9/3/2014An old standby. OldSaloon salad is my favorite as is Bosses vealSpecial Features:
- Crass Waitress was a BuzzkillRoosterGentDined on 8/18/2014Great food, both classic and inventive, but the waitress was a mismatch. Very young and unsophisticated, she tended to rush us and used phraseology that was inconsistent with fine dining, for example, informing us that she would grab some ice waters for us and then run through the specials. She asked my guest once if he were finished when he had his fork poised above his food. At the moment he was in mid-sentence and building to a humorous point but she interrupted and spoiled the moment. I expected better service. But this restaurant seemed to value staff with a pretty face and a short black dress over someone who knows how to enhance the dining experience.Special Features:
- BlazeVIPDined on 8/16/2014The Saloon is still an excellent restaurant. While the menu has many great dishes, the daily specials are typically real gems. I had planned on having a salad and a pasta dish off of the menu. Instead I ordered two specials. I started with an absolute delicious tomato and crab salad. There were plenty of fresh New Jersey tomatoes, and a large amount of excellent crab meat. For my main course I had a scallop dish. There were plenty (five) of perfectly prepared scallops. They were in a light cream sauce with some potatoes. I could not have been more satisfied with my experience. I should mention that our server, Liz, was attentive, helpful, and very friendly. I would not hesistate recommending the Saloon.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious!Flo32Dined on 8/16/2014My husband and I went to the Saloon to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary on 08/16/2014. The service was incredible. Our server Jase, was knowledgeable and very attentive. This was the first time we visited the Saloon but it will not be our last! The food was inventive and full of flavor. I had the spinach salad which was rolled in prosciutto. It was unusual and full of flavor! For our main course I tried the Braciole, it was a great choice! Dessert was just as good and it was a wonderful finish to a great dinner experience.Special Features:
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Food and service are outstanding! Always a good choice for that special dinner or a business dinner.Special Features:
- Delightful and deliciouslikeitrareDined on 7/19/2014I was immediately attracted to the beautiful wood work , stained and cut glass. Ask for a tour. Service wonderful and warm . Food delicious had the spinach salad unusual and yummy. Asked chef to make crab fra diablo pasta which was great. Wine- Try the joel gottt. Zin Wonderful ! A Must visit. Ps Shout to Jase my serverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but priceyVeloJonDined on 7/12/2014I love the Saloon, but it's becoming very pricy. We go there several times a year for business dinners, and I like the service and atmosphere, but on my own dime, I think there are now better options for Italian cuisine in Philly at that price (Petruce, Amis, Le Virtu come to mind).Special Features:
- Always proud of The Saloon!NapoletanoDined on 7/10/2014I often suggest going to the Saloon when meeting a friend,especially those visiting from other parts. I am always so proud of The Saloon, the service and the food!Special Features:
- Perfect.PhillyDinerDined on 6/14/2014Everything was perfect here. Highly recommended. They accommodated a vegetarian and a vegan with perfect politeness. It was very much appreciated.Special Features:
- Love this placeDKuritzaVIPDined on 6/13/2014My boyfriend and decided spontaneously to come here for a celebratory dinner. It was a great choice! Very quiet and cosy corner restaurant, the staff was very knowledgable about everything on and off the menu. Food was incredible, and I was able to get a half order on my entree! The only small downside was that we were seated within earshot of the bar, and half way through our meal the bar crowd got a little loud. It wasn't a huge deal, our dinner definitely still held its romantic setting. We would come back without hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!DjbaanDined on 6/9/2014The Saloon was recommended to us by a stranger on a plane so we decided to try it on our last night in Philadelphia. It was a great way to end our trip. Both the food and service was exceptional. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Saloon never disappointsTeeBusterVIPDined on 5/22/2014I made my annual pilgrimage down to 7th and South with two friends this week and couldn't have been more pleased. As always the service was very attentive without even a hint of being rushed. The food was perfectly prepared from the langoustines to an amazing veal chop done perfectly and smothered with shiitake mushrooms and a to die for reduction. The nightcap at the bar takes you back to when a bar was for relaxing, with about anything you would need after a great Italian meal, including black Sambucca. If you haven't been, go...if you have been before, it is still as good as you remembered.Special Features:
- The following 186 reviews are from the Saloon Restaurant reviews archive.
- Another great evening at the Saloonluv2dineDined on 5/17/2014We started coming to the Saloon in 1976 as a special occasion restaurant. The food is still great, the service is friendly and professional and the "eclectic collector" decor is still inviting Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Visiting an old friendOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/17/2014I haven't been to the Saloon in twenty years, and since married with kids, returned to Philly with my son to visit colleges. That made dinner at the Saloon a must. The food was in the epic range; the veal chops we both had -- prepared differently -- were world class. What made the Saloon stand out for me was the sense of seeing a cherished old friend - I actually felt guilty for letting the years slip by. Our waitress was engaging, helpful and a lot of fun; with counsel on dinner as well as seeing Philadelphia and college advice! The service was brisk, everyone was welcoming, and every part of our dinner was what I hoped. Life won't get in the way again and will come back much sooner -- maybe graduation dinner?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jcompjc3400Dined on 5/10/2014Great restaurant. Upscale ambience. Excellent seafood specials. Disappointed on lack of pasta dishes...particularly any homemade dishes as location is in the Italian section of PhiladelphiaSpecial Features:
- Small SuggestionJosephVIPDined on 5/10/2014The dinner was fantastic. My wife and I have been going to a Saloon for over 35 years. We took 2 friends with us this time who have never been there and they loved it. Very surprised that it was not that busy. The service was excellent as always. My only suggestion is your Caesar Salad. It really is not that good. Taste nothing like a good Caesar. Needs more dressing (way too dry) and cheese. More green romaine (too much core and light stuff). Everywhere I go I try Caesar Salad if on the menu and sorry but yours is the worse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpectationSmoothVIPDined on 5/2/2014Nice find in S Phily, very nicely decorated, a little expensive. My Veal chop was just Ok it was big enough, my wife had Dover Sole which was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saloon RestaurantKevinMDined on 5/1/2014Elegant but not snooty...food and service were outstanding...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saloon Does It AgainDeeCDined on 4/30/2014Every time I bring a group of colleague to the Saloon Restaurant, they never disappoint. Great food as usual and friendly service. Love this place!Special Features:
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/30/2014Went there for lunch with a small group and everyone was very pleased with their choice. The waitress was friendly and attentive. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- A forgotten Philly gemSeagullDined on 4/25/2014A great South Philly restaurant in a safe neighborhood with free parking. The ambiance is terrific, service was excellent and efficient with plenty of time between courses. The food was cooked perfectly. we had veal parmigiana and lobster fra diavlo with spaghetti. Both were delicious and perfectly cooked. Portions were appropriate. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experienceBaconcroutonsDined on 4/23/2014Food was fantastic with multiple entree specials. Some of the best mussels I've had and the lobster amatriciana was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a classic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2014A great South Philly gem. Fabulous food and an incredible staff. The sea scallops are the best I've ever had. We will definately return again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double Thumbs UpCCG1Dined on 3/29/2014Group of 6 for a 40th birthday celebration this past weekend. The service was impeccable, food delicious and ambiance outstanding with a 3 piece band playing in the bar area. We all have a wonderful experience and cannot wait to go back. A huge thanks to The Saloon for a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relax and enjoy a nice meal.ZManDined on 3/22/2014Have been going here for many years for lunch and dinner with friends or for business. The staff is attentive. They managed our requests without delay on a busy Saturday night. The food did not disappoint. I always enjoy the greens and peppers. The octopus was also quite tasty. I had several first timers at the table and they were all smiles throughout the evening. Take time to experience the building both upstairs and down. It is a neighborhood gem with a staff that is well cast in supporting roles to let you relax and enjoy the guests at your table. We grazed our way around the menu and all portions arrived hot and in sync for the whole table to enjoy A good value and no worries. Next time in the plan is to sit down and just say, feed me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to the good old days!RickDined on 3/15/2014We always loved the Saloon, but the last few times we went it was marginal at best. They were back on top form on Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Special OccasionTiggerDined on 3/15/2014The food was great. Our waitress was outstanding. If every restaurant had someone like her working there they would do well. The appetizer was pricey. I should've asked before ordering. Normally I wouldn't get an appetizer but it was a special occasion. The pasta portion was a little small would've liked to seen more pasta. The mushrooms on the Veal dish were a little too much. They smothered the Veal I had to take them off. The room right next to the bar was a little loud.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Gem!BroadStreetBrunchDined on 3/14/2014This place is a hidden gem! Thank God for Open Table or I never would have found it. THe langostino were delicious, as was the scallop special. The only part of my meal I didn't love were the grilled shrimp which tasted frozen. Service was prompt, food was fabulous, and an overall great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Moto BeneMCalDined on 3/13/2014If you are looking for great Italian food and a fun alternative to the expense-account restaurants in Center City, venture down to South Philly for a slice of real Philadelphia. The locals don't bite and the neighborhood has a special character that enhances your visit. The Saloon has parking (rare down here) and the venue is historic old world charm at its best. The staff is engaging and helpful and the food...you will have to look far and wide to top it.Special Features:
- great happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/12/2014Always good. A true un-chain restaurant. Excellent oysters at happy hour.Special Features:
- Absolutely delectable ! Awesome !kgruDined on 3/12/2014The food was amazing. Worth every penny ! Would recommend to everyone ! Be sure to have a drink At the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night!JohnVIPDined on 3/8/2014Hadn't been there in years. Forgot had good it was. Won't forget again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealMartySVIPDined on 3/8/2014The service and quality of food has never been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014Never expected to taste excellent food as I have...Special Features:
- Very enjoyable dinnerHowardC0716Dined on 3/7/2014Had a wonderful dinner on Friday evening prior to the Sting/Paul Simon concert. We thoroughly enjoyed our two dishes-NY Strip Steak in mushroom sauce while my wife had the Lobster Americana dish. Our waitress was extremely knowledgeable and did not miss a beat. Desserts are offered from tray-we chose the Cococut Custard Pastry-outstanding. There are two floors with a full bar on each floor-very warm, old style dark paneling in a rich saloon style atmosphere. Would absolutely go back on our next trip to Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this place!TapperVIPDined on 3/1/2014Every time I return to Saloon, I smile. Saloon is a South Philadelphia classic. The food is superb, the cocktails are generous, and the service is first class. Definitely get the hot antipasto for two to share. I'm also a huge fan of the lobster fra diablo and the veal chop. Save room for dessert because they are all really good plus they make an awesome cappuccino. Saloon sets a high standard in every way and it lives up to that standard each visit. That's why I keep coming back for more. I love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ExperienceGeorgeDined on 3/1/2014Overall we enjoyed our drinks and meal. Can't beat the atmosphere. Would go again.Special Features: