750 S 7th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saloonrestaurant.net/
- Phone: (215) 627-1811
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Oscar Reyes/Jerome Palumbo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine
- Special Events: On this monday, August 12 we will have a special guest chef, Stacy Diplaccido. She is the head chef at Fitzwater Cafe and an instructor at COOK! She will be offering a special menu for that night from 5pm to 10pm. Regular menu will still be available.
A word from Saloon Restaurant
Entering the Saloon, a family owned restaurant since it opened in 1967 is a bit like stepping into Philadelphia's past. Dark oak paneling, shiny brass and authentic local antiques create a warm congenial and casual atmosphere. The choice of two comfortable dining rooms each with its own vintage bars make dining and conversation a relaxed and enjoyable experience. Both bars feature a delicious and moderately priced food menu. The menu is Italian with seafood specials such as grilled octopus and dover sole. Saloon steaks and veal chops are legendary. Many prefer a plate of fried long hot peppers to compliment the steaks. All desserts and gelatos are made on the premises daily. The Saloon is a Philadelphia neighborhood bar and restaurant with a national reputation. And the parking is FREE!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Saloon Restaurant - Best Restaurants in South Philly ›
Saloon Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)special occasion (53)fit for foodies (41)good for groups (36)romantic (35)notable wine list (23)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- SLC922VIPDined on 11/22/2014I had not been to the Saloon in 8-10 years and I was really looking forward to our dinner. What a disappointment. Although we were seated promptly and our cocktail orders were taken and served right away, it took them quite awhile to just take our food order and bring us some bread. The appetizers were good, and my wife enjoyed the Bronzino that she ordered. But my grilled veal chop was not hot upon service (as though it had been sitting waiting to be picked up while other entrees in our party of caught-up) and the side of pasta (oil/garlic) was not al dente. After the entrees were served, the service was rushed, with the wait staff clearing plates while others in our party were still eating; bring us our check while we were still having coffee and dessert). For a meal that cost $100 per person, it needs to be way better than that. Save your money and appetite. There are so many better options in Philadelphia and its surrounding suburbs.
- I give The Saloon an A+OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Delicious food, wonderful ambience and attention to detail rarely seen these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience.tracyVIPDined on 11/15/2014We had the perfect evening. Greeted by the sweetest bartender. Big smile, great service. Our dinner was excellent. Our server was a professional. Could not have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kadeDined on 11/8/2014The saloon is one of my favorite restaurants. The food is consistently good as well as the service.Special Features:
- Great Food and Service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014The atmosphere was great, the service was perfect and the food was amazing... Highly recommended..... There is a reason this place has been around for so long...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JOHNDined on 11/8/2014WE WENT WITH FOUR PEOPLE THREE WERE NOT HAPPY WITH THE FOOD. 2 HAD PASTA AND I HAD THE VEAL THE TASTE WAS GOOD BUT IT WAS MOSTLY FAT. GRAVY TASTE LIKE CANNED AND PASTA WAS DRY
- There were alot of us...DrovefromjerseyDined on 11/8/2014But we were all happy. The 12 of us were seated upstairs at a large rectangular table near the balcony window. We all sat comfortably. The service for this size group was impeccable. The food was served hot. Everything was delicious. I would definitely go back again. Especially with a large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/5/2014Saloon lived up to its reputation as one of the best Italian restaurants in the Country. The food and service was fantastic. I had the veal chop special. It was excellent.Special Features:
- Perfect NightDeniDined on 11/1/2014Got the recommendation from someone I trust, and now I know why I trust him. Had a quiet romantic table upstairs. Fabulous meal, excellent wine and drink offerings, professional and friendly service. Get the langostinos (prawns) to start... unbelievable. Will go back again and highly recommend it.Special Features:
- NocookingNocookingDined on 11/1/2014Last time at this resturant was 30 yrs ago. With so many fine resturants in philadelphia you tend to bypass the older establishments. Won't forget The Saloon anytime soon back on top of my list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotBobbo55VIPDined on 10/25/2014Food and service were excellent. I can see why this place has been around since the mid 60's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2014Our group of business people totally enjoyed the experienceSpecial Features:
- Great for a small groupRJL2Dined on 10/13/2014We had company meetings out at the Philadelphia Airport Hotel and made reservations at Saloon for a Monday night dinner. 10 people in our party, just a short ride to the Saloon. Food and service were outstanding. We would highly recommend to anyone who is looking for great atmosphere and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DON'T WAITRICHEVIPDined on 10/11/2014After our meal all I could say was why did I wait so long to come back. It has been years since we ate there. There are so many great places here in Philadelphia you want to try them all. Don't bother with the others go to The Saloon first. Only problem is you will be trying to compare the others to it. There is no comparison. It is the best.Special Features:
- Saloon!LaurieVIPDined on 10/11/2014Love it here - No frills and great Chicken Parm! Cozy spot in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Saloonnuget99Dined on 10/3/2014Delicious food and decor. Food was very fresh and vast selection of specials. I highly recommend this place to people who have a love for good food.Special Features:
- Great Food/service needs to improveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014This was our 2nd time to the restaurant. The first time was a Monday night and the food was excellent and the service very good. Based on this, I took a very important client to the restaurant on a Saturday night. We are seated 30 minutes late. My mixed drink was made with such a small portion of ice that it was barely cold. When we were finally seated, although the wait staff was very nice, they were extremely slow. We found ourselves looking around the restaurant constantly to find our waiter. Again, the food was excellent but the staff needs to work on timeliness and service.
- Wonderful mealFoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had out of town friends visiting. We picked The Saloon for our dinner. Food and service were excellent. Highly recommend. Can't wait to return for another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JosephVIPDined on 9/27/2014Very good as usual. Too expensive for regular visits. Only negative was they had a band playing upstairs and they sat us next to them. Too loud to hold conversation. Hard time hearing waitress tell us about the specials. Suggest they stay away from bands and singers and just have piano player on weekendsSpecial Features:
- FABULOUS DINIG EXPERIENCEKarenDined on 9/27/2014From the moment you arrive you are transported to the days when eating out was an occasion. Spectacular ambiance and ample room in the room area to grab that drink before dining with your entire party. Kitchy antiques throughout the bar and restaurant coupled with attentive service make The Saloon one of our favorites for a night out "on the town", but the food is the star of the evening. We've visited a 1/2 dozen times now, and while i sample off my companions plated I have always ordered the scallops crab meat in cognac sauce. Delicious. My husband, who is a bit fussy about his veal, raves about their veal dishes. Everything was top-notch!!Special Features:
- 7510PVDined on 9/26/2014Excellent food, service and pricing very fair. Was a visitor from IN and acted on recommendation from friend in Philly. Great choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014The restaurant is beautiful inside. The service and food - great!.Special Features:
- An all time greatTannhauserDined on 9/19/2014Easily the best Northern Italian food in South Philadelphia. Outstanding décor, service, and the highest quality ingredients put together in a masterful way. We've been here dozens of times and simply never had anything short of a fantastic meal.Special Features:
- Great spot for business dinnerHealthydinerDined on 9/15/2014We have a group from all over the Delaware Valley that met at the Saloon. Free parking and location was important. The staff accommodated us and put our group away from other diners at a comfortable, large table. The staff seemed to understand that business was being conducted and handled ordering and service in a non-obtrusive way. The food was terrific. Everyone enjoyed the Saloon and to a person remarked they would return.
- Always a great meal.SeanGDined on 9/11/2014Love this place and their food. You can never go wrong. The bread and pesto sauce is the best!!Special Features:
- Old schoolSoosDined on 9/5/2014Old Philly classic. Ambiance is terrific. Some staff better than others. The young Tatoo crowd as most places, too casual, not knowledgeable. Our server got better over the course of the meal but at one point trashing another Philly institution. Not professional or necessary. Some apps were great, others just ok. We ordered 3 entrees to share between 4 after 4 appetizers, and a pasta to share. The veal dish was tasteless and swimming 1n a heavy brown sauce. The steak and whole fish were both very good. Dessert was a highlight.Special Features:
- A South Philly GemBobertDined on 9/4/2014We couldn't fault anything about our dinner. The service was attentive and friendly but not overbearing, and the delivery of each course was paced exactly right. The Italian wedding soup was delicious, as was the split pea soup. My lobster Francaise was perfectly prepared, as was my wife's penne pasta in a spicy meat sauce, which had just the right amount of spice and firmness of the pasta. Save room for dessert because you won't be able to refuse ordering one of the temptations presented on the dessert tray. The homemade tiramisu gelato was delicious. Complementary valet parking is an added plus in this South Philly neighborhood where on-street parking is nearly impossible to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveItalianVIPDined on 9/3/2014An old standby. OldSaloon salad is my favorite as is Bosses vealSpecial Features:
- Crass Waitress was a BuzzkillRoosterGentVIPDined on 8/18/2014Great food, both classic and inventive, but the waitress was a mismatch. Very young and unsophisticated, she tended to rush us and used phraseology that was inconsistent with fine dining, for example, informing us that she would grab some ice waters for us and then run through the specials. She asked my guest once if he were finished when he had his fork poised above his food. At the moment he was in mid-sentence and building to a humorous point but she interrupted and spoiled the moment. I expected better service. But this restaurant seemed to value staff with a pretty face and a short black dress over someone who knows how to enhance the dining experience.Special Features:
- BlazeVIPDined on 8/16/2014The Saloon is still an excellent restaurant. While the menu has many great dishes, the daily specials are typically real gems. I had planned on having a salad and a pasta dish off of the menu. Instead I ordered two specials. I started with an absolute delicious tomato and crab salad. There were plenty of fresh New Jersey tomatoes, and a large amount of excellent crab meat. For my main course I had a scallop dish. There were plenty (five) of perfectly prepared scallops. They were in a light cream sauce with some potatoes. I could not have been more satisfied with my experience. I should mention that our server, Liz, was attentive, helpful, and very friendly. I would not hesistate recommending the Saloon.Special Features:
- Absolutely delicious!Flo32Dined on 8/16/2014My husband and I went to the Saloon to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary on 08/16/2014. The service was incredible. Our server Jase, was knowledgeable and very attentive. This was the first time we visited the Saloon but it will not be our last! The food was inventive and full of flavor. I had the spinach salad which was rolled in prosciutto. It was unusual and full of flavor! For our main course I tried the Braciole, it was a great choice! Dessert was just as good and it was a wonderful finish to a great dinner experience.Special Features:
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/2014Food and service are outstanding! Always a good choice for that special dinner or a business dinner.Special Features:
- The following 193 reviews are from the Saloon Restaurant reviews archive.
- Delightful and deliciouslikeitrareVIPDined on 7/19/2014I was immediately attracted to the beautiful wood work , stained and cut glass. Ask for a tour. Service wonderful and warm . Food delicious had the spinach salad unusual and yummy. Asked chef to make crab fra diablo pasta which was great. Wine- Try the joel gottt. Zin Wonderful ! A Must visit. Ps Shout to Jase my serverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but priceyVeloJonDined on 7/12/2014I love the Saloon, but it's becoming very pricy. We go there several times a year for business dinners, and I like the service and atmosphere, but on my own dime, I think there are now better options for Italian cuisine in Philly at that price (Petruce, Amis, Le Virtu come to mind).Special Features:
- Always proud of The Saloon!NapoletanoDined on 7/10/2014I often suggest going to the Saloon when meeting a friend,especially those visiting from other parts. I am always so proud of The Saloon, the service and the food!Special Features:
- Perfect.PhillyDinerDined on 6/14/2014Everything was perfect here. Highly recommended. They accommodated a vegetarian and a vegan with perfect politeness. It was very much appreciated.Special Features:
- Love this placeDKuritzaVIPDined on 6/13/2014My boyfriend and decided spontaneously to come here for a celebratory dinner. It was a great choice! Very quiet and cosy corner restaurant, the staff was very knowledgable about everything on and off the menu. Food was incredible, and I was able to get a half order on my entree! The only small downside was that we were seated within earshot of the bar, and half way through our meal the bar crowd got a little loud. It wasn't a huge deal, our dinner definitely still held its romantic setting. We would come back without hesitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!DjbaanDined on 6/9/2014The Saloon was recommended to us by a stranger on a plane so we decided to try it on our last night in Philadelphia. It was a great way to end our trip. Both the food and service was exceptional. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Saloon never disappointsTeeBusterVIPDined on 5/22/2014I made my annual pilgrimage down to 7th and South with two friends this week and couldn't have been more pleased. As always the service was very attentive without even a hint of being rushed. The food was perfectly prepared from the langoustines to an amazing veal chop done perfectly and smothered with shiitake mushrooms and a to die for reduction. The nightcap at the bar takes you back to when a bar was for relaxing, with about anything you would need after a great Italian meal, including black Sambucca. If you haven't been, go...if you have been before, it is still as good as you remembered.Special Features:
- Another great evening at the Saloonluv2dineDined on 5/17/2014We started coming to the Saloon in 1976 as a special occasion restaurant. The food is still great, the service is friendly and professional and the "eclectic collector" decor is still inviting Looking forward to our next visit!Special Features: