Salem City Cafe and Bar
113 Market St.
Salem, NJ 08079Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Salem City Cafe and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.salemcitycafe.com/
- Phone: 8563394455x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Friday: 4:00pm - 6:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Bomba
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Don't let a caterer ruin your special day! Our full service catering team has extensive experience in delivering spectacular food and service. We will create a customized menu to fit your tastes and budget.
- Entertainment: Visit our website for upcoming events and live performances.
- Cross Street: Broadway
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Salem City Cafe is located in the city's historic core at the intersection of Broadway and Market Streets and offers free street and lot parking. You will find plenty of free parking within 100 feet of the restaurant, and a free lot attached to rear of restaurant offering 15 spots.
A word from Salem City Cafe and Bar
Visit Salem City Cafe and Bar in the heart of historic Salem to experience big city dining with small town charm. Our menu offers a mix of cuisine from across the globe and changes with the seasons. The contemporary decor and all American music creates a lively atmosphere. We have live acoustic music and drink specials every Saturday evening and frequently host special events including our very popular monthly wine and food pairing prepared personally by the owners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salem City Cafe and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
4 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (3)neighborhood gem (3)fit for foodies (2)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)romantic (2)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Our WeddingBONNIEBDined on 8/22/2014Thank you Salem Cafe for such a lovely table and professional service for our little reception dinner. More importantly I wanted to comment on the fabulous food. Over the years, we have gotten a taste for some of the finer food in the Philly area and when I moved down here, I was afraid we were going to have to travel a long way for good food, so it's a relief to know we have such a great restaurant in our backyard. We had a fabulous time and I can't thank you enough for the beautiful table. We will certainly be coming over on a regular basis!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/3/2014I was first disappointed by the offerings of wines by the glass which were a bunch of bottom shelf wines. I went with a perfect manhattan which was good enough. The server was nice enough, but I felt like I was being taken care of at a diner, rather than an upscale restaurant. The crab bisque and caesar salad tasted like something I could make better at home, the crab cakes seemed to be made from a cheap crabmeat that didn't taste especially fresh, but the worst offender was the short ribs, that were tough and tasted like they had bottled bbq sauce on them. The sweet potato fries were OK. Didn't stay for dessert.
- The following 37 reviews are from the Salem City Cafe and Bar reviews archive.
- Great Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/11/2014Salem City Cafe and Bar is clean, comfortable, and has great food. It is located across the street from the historic Salem Court House. This is without question the place to eat in Salem.Special Features:
- Salem City Cafe shinesHistorybuffDined on 5/11/2014Cafe provided a great brunch which my mother and sister thoroughly enjoyed. There was no annoying noise so we had a good conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Dinner experenceSueHDined on 5/2/2014We had a lovely time at the Salem City Café. The food was delicious and the service was friendly. Very nice atmosphere.Special Features:
- LOVE this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014I've been here for lunch once and dinner twice. The food is always great, like really great. Service has always been excellent and I love the atmosphere. It's definitely my favorite local restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatBetsDined on 3/1/2014Really enjoyed dining in our own home town food was delicious and liked the optionsSpecial Features:
- Salem's GemJenniferDined on 2/18/2014Don't miss this fantastic spot right in the heart of Salem. Fine dining in a lovely atmosphere with fantastic food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So accommodatingCarolmDined on 2/15/2014Last minute Valentines plans get changed and instead of 2 of us we are now 8 of us!!! What to do? Italian friends would be joining us! Jumped on open table to see what time we could get into the Salem City Cafe! Great! They could accommodate a large table! Happy hiur would be over at 6 but a table ready for 630 or 7! I'll take it! We enjoyed great crab cake and mussel appetizers and wionderduk homemade gnocchi! Others at our table had steak, chicken Alfredo, and ahi tuna. Each entree was excellent. Food and Service right here in south jersey!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatgtotoyDined on 2/14/2014Was another great valentines dinner at the cafe. Highly recommended from us. The kids even loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a pleasant place to dine!RichDined on 2/14/2014We have visited the Salem City Cafe a number of times for lunch, dinner, and special events. It's a great place. The food is excellent, the staff are extremely friendly, and the owner is on-site most of the times we've been there. She's really nice and has done a wonderful job with her restaurant. We recommend the Salem City Cafe without any reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salem's FinestSJDiner1VIPDined on 2/14/2014The best place in Salem County to eat. Give it a try. Also great for large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new years evePeacefulDined on 12/31/2013We had a group of 6, one being our 17month old grand daughter… lucky for us she is amazing and a good girl in restaurants… Our bus girl was simply the best ever she really made Keira's time at Salem City very enjoyable….. our waiter was also amazing….. not to friendly with Keira…… but like I said the bus girl made up for that…… Peace….. We love eating at your establishment. Dean and Ann RoorkSpecial Features:
- Superb Dining and CateringmotherofthebrideDined on 12/31/2013My husband and I are frequent visitors of the Salem City Cafe and are always impressed by the wonderful food and service. When it came time to choose a caterer for our daughters wedding we had no question who to choose. From start to finish every aspect was perfection, delicious food, fabulous presentation, professional staff and expert guidance. Do yourself a favor and hire these folks for your next event! If I had it to do over again I would not change a thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost GOLD STANDARDHelenDined on 12/7/2013Overall Dining Experience was Excellent but the music was entirely TOO LOUD. Dining couples like to be able to hear each other in conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerBetsDined on 11/19/2013We had the Tuesday extra value delight, crab cakes[all crab] and filet] Great amount of food for the price. The crab bisque is the best around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening outDanaDined on 10/25/2013My friends and I got together for an evening out at the Salem Cafe. The waitresses and staff were all dressed in Halloween get-up to spur on the spirit of the season. It added much to the festivities. We had a lovely round table so that we could see everyone and had such a great time, we will have to schedule this night out again !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A really nice restaurant.SJDiner1VIPDined on 9/17/2013A really nice restaurant. Convenient to the Courthouse. Ample parking on street and in back lot. Reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DiningYummyDined on 9/17/2013We enjoyed every morsel of our dinner. My husband loved the meat loaf (best around) and my filet mignon was cooked perfectly (rare). It was one of the best I've ever had. The dessert, a sorbet covered in white chocolate, was a perfect ending for the meal. We have already recommended Salem City Cafe to our friends and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tues night 1/2 price dealbamagfcDined on 9/17/2013I had the crab cakes and they were fantastic. My wife had the Prime Rib and it was perfect with horseradish sauce. The bread and oil could be better. The bread was not warm and the oil tasted a little "off". The service was very slow because of the 1/2 price entree specials had the place packed out. Need to have extra staff when you run a special.Special Features:
- Went to the Salem City caféLovetoeatDined on 7/31/2013Went to the Salem City café on a recommendation for dinner. The restaurant is beautiful and décor was nice. T hey had a fajita special but no one got it in our party. We ordered menu items. The crab cakes were good and the pasta good. I don't recommend ordering mixed drinks-we tried 2x and finally settled with a beer. A little expensive for the location but next time we will attempt the happy hour and see.Special Features:
- Great Local FindagentcritiqueDined on 7/12/2013It's rare in small towns to find a restaurant where everything comes together so nicely and the decor doesn't involve sports paraphernalia or cow skulls. The drink selection was varied, the food was tasty, and the service was attentive and friendly. We'll definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/29/2013We attended a special wine pairing dining experience. We have attended these before and they are wonderful. Michael does an amazing job with the food. It is always spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Diamond in the RoughGinaluv2dineDined on 5/12/2013I love visiting small Historic Towns and Salem NJ is one of them. We decided to take a ride to a destination spot for Mother's Day. What a pleasant surprise. The ride there was relaxing and the town was quaint. Looks like it is going through a revitalization and there was a beautiful restaurant Salem City Cafe in downtown Salem. I felt like I was at a restaurant in Philly. Very chic. The owners were very personable and the staff was right on, even though it was a busy day. Brunch was wonderful - lots of choices. Seafood station, omelet station and carving station were available. Food was well prepared. They created a very homey atmosphere and their lunch and dinner menu looks very inviting. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big city feel in a small town.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/9/2013Beautiful decor , loved brick wall detail. Friendly waitstaff. Food was outstanding. Would highly recommend for any occasion.Special Features:
- Great Foodfoodmonster1Dined on 5/4/2013The food was great. All dishes were prepared fresh and to order. The only bad comment i have is the live music was way too loud for the dining room. You could not talk across the table without having to raise your voice. Servers could be a little more attentive. Again the food was great! Guess you cant have everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I picked thisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2013My husband and I picked this restaurant out of the blue and it was fabulous! The cheese teak egg-rolls for an appetizer and my husband was in love with his rare Ahi Tuna. We also shared the Banana's Foster was delicious!Special Features:
- Manicotti was on the menu,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/21/2013Manicotti was on the menu, but has not been available for two weeks. Otherwise, food is quite good. Service is great.Special Features:
- My wife and I needed a nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2013My wife and I needed a night out without the kids. We were very pleased with the service and food. We had an enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/15/2013Great food, great service and wonderful atmosphere.Special Features:
- Our server was very slow withOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Our server was very slow with service from the bar. We ordered two glasses of wine and it took over 15 minutes for them to be delivered to our table. She was more interested in handing out roses to the other tables then getting us underway with drinks. Otherwise we had a great dinner and the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- We enjoyed the ThanksgivingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2012We enjoyed the Thanksgiving buffet and plan to return. The food was worthy of a home-made turkey dinner with all the fixings.Special Features:
- Menu is a little limited.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2012Menu is a little limited. Gnocchi are delicious but no meatball or sausage offered with it. Bar staff is stellarSpecial Features:
- My review is poor becauseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2012My review is poor because there is no not applicable option. I made a reservation online and when I arrived the restaurant was on vacation. Hopefully next time the update their website.Special Features:
- Won't be backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/22/2012Upon arriving and serving ourselves for the breakfast brunch, there were few eggs and no french toast. I waited for the waitress to come by and asked if they were going to put out more eggs. She said they were putting them out soon. I went to get the eggs and also french toast. The eggs were luke warm and nasty, no taste to them. The french toast was OK. I was not happy about the meal. The only thing that was good was two of the pastries on the side table - a nut bar and a bar cookie with berries. I will not return even for dinner.
- A must see !OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/24/2012Salem city cafe was excellent! Food was amazing and service was exceptional. I can not wait to go back again! Thank you for a great dinning experience!Special Features:
- SalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2012First time to Salem and was it memorable. We started with the ebi shrimp which were perfectly breaded, not to heavy and the dip was delicious. Next we did Mozzarella in carrozza(cheese in the cart), such a simple dish but it gives back so much more. I wish I could have gotten it as an entree! Two Caesar salads and then on to the entree. I had the duck cooked to perfection and my girlfriend got the ahi tuna bowl. The ahi tuna bowl was a nice play on a sushi dish. They used basmati rice and incorporated mango salsa into the mix. Wine by the glass was our choice, which they have a nice selection,not like other places that offer just one brand. To finish the meal we grabbed desert, apple pie for me and the exotic bomba for her. Great overallSpecial Features:
- Get the crab cakesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/15/2012The crab cakes were so delicious I recomend them to anyone going to this destination.Special Features:
- Excellent! I always wantkimsrhodsDined on 3/3/2012Excellent! I always want to order something different but I can't get past the crab cakes - they are soooo good! Love that a great restaurant is in the area & we don't have to go to Wilmington or Philly. Highly recommend!Special Features: