2916 White Oak
Houston, TX 77007Neighborhood:
Heights / Washington
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.salesucre-tx.com/
- Phone: 7136231406
- Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri :11am until 2:30pm & from 5 to 10 pm
Sat & Sun : 11am to 10pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Philippe Harel
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Salé-Sucré
Truly casual chic French Bistro. Get ready for new flavors...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Salé-Sucré reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (7)good for groups (6)romantic (5)notable wine list (4)special occasion (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- chrish4232VIPDined on 9/12/2014Great food. Great place. Definitely reminiscent of a French bistro. We had no issues with service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good French CuisineNoneDined on 8/29/2014Food was delicious. The crab cake was heavenly, spicy chicken crepe very flavorful, and lady finger chocolate dessert with apple was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodIsGoodDined on 8/21/2014I was excited for the Boeuf Braisé at Salé-Sucré during Restaurants Week, but left extremely disappointed. The server failed to tell us they were out of the Boeuf Braisé and I didn't want seafood or the vegetarian option. So we ask if we can substitute the option and they refuse anything but the Porc Nor. or a crepe! A crepe for an entree?!?! What a joke! I mentioned to the server they should have told us they were out prior to us ordering, and in response, the server says, "I mean, we can't just advertise we are out of something for one day." Furthermore, I asked if one of the steaks had bone, and the response was, "I dunno, but it has fat." Overall, very rude service. Food was decent, but not exceptional.Special Features:
- DisappointingCocoDined on 8/21/2014We went here during Houston Restaurant Weeks because none of us had been to this restaurant before. My first impression was negative...no parking. After I was seated, I noticed the tattered menus that were given to us. Next flaw was that the entree that we all wanted to order they were out of. That's poor planning when you know you need four weeks of supply to support your HRW menu items. Lastly, I am certain that my risotto was simply rice. Hopefully, this was just an off night.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/17/2014Came early on a quiet Sunday. Service was fantastic. Food was great especially the braised beef.I would recommend this to a friend.
- HORRIBLE SERVICEDT11VIPDined on 8/15/2014HORRIBLE SERVICE - was there for lunch; only a total of 7 ppls dining (including our group of 3). The hostess/waitress was lazy, unattentive and snobbish (like she's really busy). Only the desserts were good. Only time in all my years of dining that I left NO tip.
- LacklusterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2014Waitstaff seemed unfamiliar with how to perform duties specific to the job. I will not elaborate. Coffee was unavailable, (this was not made aware we were just charged for fancy drinks when we ordered regular coffee), cappuccinos which were ordered were undrinkable. Food was pretty good, we went for restaurant weeks and everyone liked 2 of the 3 dishes served. French roast was completely raw n
- good food, poor servicenessenDined on 8/1/2014Went for Houston Restaurant Weeks. I had the summer salad (melons, balsamic, etc.) and he had the white asparagus thing, that wasn't what we expected but still good. We were told they'd bring bread, I asked for bread after our salads left the table, and we NEVER got it. Luckily, the alcohol came out fast. For dinner he had the beef with potatoes, it was delicious. I ordered the mushroom risotto, the HRW menu only described it as a mushroom risotto, but it came with 5 medium sized, perfectly cooked scallops, and was amazing. For dessert we both order the white oak crepe, which wasn't anything spectacular and the crepe itself tasted like it was store bought. Disappointing considering how many crepes they have on their regular menu.Special Features:
- Desapointed !NeferisaDined on 8/1/2014The service has been very slow ... We had to wait a lot before to receive the appetizers and they were not served at the same time ! The salads came 15 mn later than the other dishes. Same procedure for the entrees : After waiting , came the beef ( a little hard ). Later, the tuna ( poor presentation ). And 15mn later the risotto ( too cooked ) ! More or less the same for the desserts ... waiting ..The crepes came cold . The chocolate mousse didn't look very fresh. But the warm fruits berries with ice cream was delicious . We asked twice for a little detail for the celebration of the birthday of our friend . The owner promised it ... but : Nothing ! ( we were a group of 7 people )
- Are they for real?dinealwaysVIPDined on 7/19/2014Way overpriced for.... everything. The food is terrible. I'm not kidding. It was like they purchased the steak from HEB and threw it in on a kenmore stove. I'm not exaggerating. Presentation... well. Homemade on a red dish. No garnish no anything. Just your food on a Walmart plate. Go to this place if you don't believe me, but it is terrible and you will regret your 60 dollar meal.
- I'm Torn...PYTLDined on 7/14/2014For a drink, I order the French Kiss, without the whip cream. Because I nixed the cream, it was only half full. However, it was quite a potent drink. Because I was ditching my diet but didn't want to overindulge, and I was in the mood for salmon. I order the crepe' ocean. I hadn't tried a savory crepe before, and this was dynamite. While I didn't enjoy the overcooked salmon, the other ingredients were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very FrenchRegularVIPDined on 6/27/2014Numerous visits confirm the pattern: Service is usually slow, Servers are always knowledgeable and anxious to please, just overburdened. Food is consistently delicious. Wine list is small, but contains good selections and good pricing. Having just returned from France, we feel right back on vacation. This is one of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!ellenVIPDined on 6/17/2014Met a friend here for dinner and was very pleased. I have been here for breakfast (which is beyond delicious) and I can now say the dinner is equally good! I am such a fan of this restaurant!! Lovely service staff and exceptional selection. Give it a try, you will not be sorry!Special Features:
- The following 95 reviews are from the Salé-Sucré reviews archive.
- CELEBRATIONOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/15/2014For a quiet celebration of any sort, with great food and wine, then you are in the right place. Service is a little slow, but we knew that going in as this was not our first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before the OperaSlyfox2000Dined on 4/4/2014My girlfriend and I had a great dinner at Sale-Sucre and then went to the Opera in the Heights. The great food set the stage for a great evening. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality at a reasonable priceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/21/2014I find Salé-Sucré a great place to go because it's always busy but never feels crowded. The service always is right for the number of covers vs. the number of servers. Food is made with what seems to be quality ingredients, which makes a difference in the enjoyment. the Coq au Vin was a good choice here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More of the same.RegularVIPDined on 2/17/2014This little neighborhood gem is simply French. The service is sometimes poor, sometimes good. The food is always excellent. The wine list is limited, but fairly priced. Don't miss the desert crepes.Special Features:
- Savory-sweet is rightRyansDined on 2/14/2014This was a last minute find for valentine's. It wasn't overly crowded, the food was delicious, and there was a little band playing. This was a little romantic place tucked away in a strip center in the heights. The service wasn't amazing, they could have used a little more attentive wait staff, but the food came out in a reasonable amount of time. I would definitely recommend this to a friend.Special Features:
- was surprised as a "french"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014was surprised as a "french" restaurant not to have any bread with the meal. Service was good initially but then once we received our entrees became slow-water glasses sat empty several times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good concept, mediocre executionBardmeisterDined on 2/8/2014This restaurant is a welcome change, but truly lacks the basics I consider essential for a French restaurant: Bread: I am pretty sure that these were just frozen rolls popped into the oven. Ugh. If you can't make your own, then at least get Slow Dough to drop you off some baguettes daily Pate: nothing special, pretty sure store bought. You can get better from the Whole Foods deli, and served with that awful bread. Dessert: crepes, served at room temp. Sent mine back, was told it was served that way so the chocolate would not melt. What ??? Wine: solid range with quality choices Overall, nothing was awful, but in this neighborhood to survive they need to either make the bread/pate/sausages in house or source from the best local purveyors
- Nice French BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014This is a nice place for a low key dinner. The food is good and a nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heights GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014Excellent food and wine. This place was an unexpected gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best crepes everMarkWDined on 2/5/2014Great food and excellent atmosphere. I will certainly come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/25/2014We've been here 3 times and are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for 3 couplesSAvisitorDined on 1/21/2014Our group of 6 had a wonderful dinner sharing a number of the savory crepes and a couple bottles of wine. The place was quiet enough to have a good visit and enjoy the company. Service was prompt and inconspicuous. Parking was easy with the lot across the street. A very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted it to workTuckerDined on 1/18/2014The experience at this little restaurant was mixed at best. We has reservations and were seated, then we waited, and waited. Got wine and waited again. I didn't think the service staff was that overwhelmed, but there was very poor service. Part of my food, the cassoulet, was actually cold. It has some charm but won't make it based on my experience. The one memorable dish were the frites. Outstanding!!
- Great brunchMJLFROGVIPDined on 1/12/2014Went after church and had a great brunch. Intend to go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchMiltonVIPDined on 1/12/2014We wanted to try a new brunch place and decided on Sale'-Sucre. It turned out to be an excellent choice. The food was very good and the staff was very friendly. Great coffee.... We will definitely visit again...Special Features:
- Committed to excellent food and svcACAdamsDined on 1/5/2014French chef and French waiter, both committed to quality, combined to make this meal really enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2013This place turned out to be a very nice find. The food was good. We started with the onion soup, which was excellent particularly since they didn't smoother it with cheese. Instead it was service with the cheese toasted on some bread. We then had two crepes (beef and shrimp). Both were good and reasonably priced. Overall it was a good experience and I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotJimSDined on 12/8/2013I took my wife for our 39th anniversary. A perfect choice. They gave us a special table. Good, service and ambience all perfect for the occasionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!Happydiner1Dined on 12/7/2013This is a wonderful neighborhood restaurant. The food is authentic and flavorful and the service was terrific. The menu had several main courses we wanted to try. We'll definitely come back to taste them all.We were there on a Saturday night and although there was a nice crowd we were surprised that this gem was not mobbed. Sale Sucre should be on everyone's list for a great night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with FriendsDarceeGriceDined on 11/26/2013Our server was great! He made thoughtful suggestions for both food and wine. The kitchen did a great job...so much so, one of my friends booked her Team party at Sale- Sucre. The crepes and Bouillebaise were superb. Even after dinner drinks were perfectly matched with coffee and dessert. Well done!!Special Features:
- Disastrous on many levelsCocoDined on 11/16/2013We went on a Sat night for my mom's bday with friends. It took us 25 mins to get anything and 2 1/2 hours to get an entre. I ordered coq au vin and got four chicken legs, some celery and a recycled sauce that was the same as cognac sauce on the brown pile of food my mom and one friend got. There was no attempt at presentation. We had to ask for bread and refills. The waiter kept making excuses that basically boiled down to the kitchen was overwhelmed by orders for a half full restaurant. We were never offered coffee or dessert let alone anything for the fact that we waited so long on hard wooden chairs. We actually went for the crepes but feared it would be midnight before we got them so we just got a check . I would not return.
- French Dining ExperienceCookieDined on 10/19/2013We found the selection of entrees very nice with many selections. The portions are substantial and the presentation is nice and colorful. I would recommend this restaurant for great food, good service, friendly atmosphere, and nice for a special occasion as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, comfortable. A special placeLuckydinerDined on 10/11/2013I came with a fellow Francophile. We ordered the scallops with mushroom risotto. Good flavors and pretty presentation. I look forward to coming again. And the waiter was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great dinner in spiteAlwaysVIPDined on 10/5/2013We had a great dinner in spite of complaints from the table next to us about slow service. They came in after us and left before us, so am wondering if they are used to Whataburger. The server could use some traininf so she know the French menu better, but she was very attentive and helpful Overall, a very good evening.Special Features:
- We should have walked out!TerriVIPDined on 9/26/2013This is my first bad comments but this was so bad that I need to. Worst service! They were not even busy! Have to ask for wine list after waiting for 20 mins, the drinks arrived wrong order, they lost the entre order that waiter had to ask us twice! Terrible experience not only the service but the food is not good at all! Sorry, I just came back from South France and this is terrible for a French food.
- A delightful findKatrinaDined on 9/25/2013Sale-Sucre is a gem hidden in the Heights. The food was wonderful. We split a salad and entre which was perfect. The owner's son Romaine recommended a wine based on what we like. The wine selection was spot on AND reasonably priced. We then chose the food to go with the wine. After dinner we had a cream brule (sp?) for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious with great presentations.CocoadrilloVIPDined on 9/8/2013Delicious with great presentations. Refreshing wine offerings and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.