400 E. 5th St
Dayton, OH 45402Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.salarrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9372033999x
- Hours of Operation:
Bar opens at 4pm Daily
Happy Hour 4:00-7:00 pm M-TH
Monday - Thursday 5:00pm - 10pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Peruvian, International
- Executive Chef: Margot Blondet
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Salar Restaurant and Lounge provides on site catering events both in and outdoors at our location. Furthermore, we provide all aspects of off-site catering for any number of guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Salar has a private dining room that can accommodate up to 36 guests with access to our outdoor patio that can seat an additional 45. Audio/visual equipment is also available within the private dining room. Additionally, the lounge can accommodate up to 18 dining or 50 mingling.
Salar has a Chef's table that will seat 8 with a view into the main line of the kitchen's production space.
- Private Party Contact: Elizabeth Blair, Events Coordinator 937 660-8999x
- Entertainment: Salar offers live entertainment on occasion as well as private events.
- Cross Street: Brown St.
- Public Transit: The #12 bus stop is diagonally across the street from Salar.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Complimentary Valet Parking is available to all of our guests. Additionally, the Oregon District has free on/off street parking within easy walking distance.
A word from Salar
Salar features World fusion cuisine with strong French and Peruvian influences along with hand-crafted cocktails.Continued
The ambiance, extraordinary service and fascinating menu creates a cosmopolitan atmosphere producing a dining destination unlike any other in the region. Salar is proud to be a Green Certified restaurant.
The ambiance, extraordinary service and fascinating menu creates a cosmopolitan atmosphere producing a dining destination unlike any other in the region. Salar is proud to be a Green Certified restaurant.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Salar - Best Restaurants in Dayton ›
Salar reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (82)special occasion (75)neighborhood gem (67)romantic (62)great for outdoor dining (51)hot spot (50)good for groups (38)vibrant bar scene (37)notable wine list (27)late-night find (24)great for lunch (11)scenic view (8)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- BarneyDined on 8/19/2014Fantastic service and food. Paella was wonderful. Portion size was enough for lunch the next day. Peruvian dessert outstandingSpecial Features:
- Wonderfull findPradeepDined on 8/18/2014Eventhough we drove from Cincinnati, coming back every one in the party said it was well worth the drive. Very comfortable dinning area, friendly and extremely attentive server. Food was delicious, loved the appetizers we had. I had pork belly in appetizer for the first time and it was out of this world. My son loved the Chicken Cheechreita's. Mouth full of flavors. My son and I had sea food rice, kid of Payaya, it was the best I had ever. I mean it, presentation was lovely and had all the flavors I was looking for, just perfect. My wife had rack of lamb, according to her she is planning to do second visit, specially the resotto that came with it, woderfull. We will be there again very soon, I know it with some more friends and family.Special Features:
- Great choice in DaytonMannyDined on 8/16/2014If you like something besides meat and potatoes, go to Salar. The server was very knowledgeable regarding the wine and food, so we experimented with two items that were very good and fairly low calorie. My husband said his meal wasn't as hot as he would have liked, but quite delicious as stated by our server. As usual, temp was too cool for my taste, but server adjusted. I am so tired of restaurants that the AC is turned so low that I have to wear a sweater. Know the help likes it that way, but be reasonable.Special Features:
- Always a Great Choicehydepark40thDined on 8/14/2014This was our second visit to the new Salar (new for us). The food was, as before, creative and very enjoyable. Even though we knew we could not finish all the food, we ordered appetizers, main courses and desserts...and happily took home what we could not finish. We have had two different waitresses and they were both very good and added to the ambience and experience.Special Features:
- Amazing food, bad serviceFerrisDined on 8/9/2014The food at Salar is amazing. I highly recommend the scallops and quinoa crusted sea bass. That being said, the service was mediocre at best. Extremely long wait (30 minutes) between appetizers being served, and dinner orders being taken. When we told the waitress we were ready to order our dinner, she became snippy. From the time we were seated, and until the time we received our bills was 3 hours. 3 hours for dinner service is excessive.Special Features:
- Great restaurant in Oregon districtJsg7Dined on 8/8/2014With one minor exception, I loved this restaurant. It is not another chain restaurant, has a real urban feel, and the food is great. I had never tried Peruvian food but the spices and flavorings were very good. The only downside was the pisco sour. I was so looking forward to it after having the most wonderful one in Santiago Chile last year. Probably Peruvians and Chileans have different definitions of this drink, but it just tasted like a not so good whiskey sour to me. The pavlova for dessert was wonderful. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceRaySarVIPDined on 8/2/2014great food and service. the place was great the food was great and we enjoyed a nice bottle of wine with dinnerSpecial Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This restaurant is the most excellent venue in the Dayton area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once Again, Wow-ed At SalarWoods85Dined on 8/2/2014I dined at this location in January, and now again earlier tonight, in August. My group took advantage of the Restaurant Week specials, and enjoyed the cuisine and environment very much. We were on a triple date, which made the occasion very special. The staff and our server were very friendly and accommodating to our needs, and as always, the food was EXTREMELY authentic and filling. I'll most likely re-visit Salar in the late fall for upcoming occasions, or even (as my friend would call it) - "Dessert Night." Thank you Salar, for providing Dayton with a wonderfully established venue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for celebrationsAnandaDined on 8/2/2014Wonderful, chic, attentive, and delicious! A great first experience at Salar... excellent introduction!Special Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Went to salar for restaurant week with a few friends. We all ordered something different and tasted each others dishes. Everything was delicious and fresh. Will definitely be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific food, horrible servicedaytonnewbieDined on 8/1/2014Let me start by saying the food was TERRIFIC. Phenomenal. I have absolutely zero complaints. However, our waitress refused to write ANYTHING down, and when you have 6 people ordering different meals with appetizers, substitutions, etc, it can get confusing. She kept coming back so we can remind her what we ordered--which is absolutely ridiculous. The wine we ordered came out 20 minutes late, and overall the service was unpleasant.Special Features:
- Food and service were "Meh"rdrunnerDined on 8/1/2014Noise: Something about the acoustics of the place - noise reflects everywhere making it surprisingly loud. Service: Service was fairly poor. They weren't very attentive and food service was extremely slow. Food: Reading the menu we were excited to try this restaurant-it really sounded great. I asked the waiter for "top picks' and he gave us some favorite selections and made it clear that a couple I was thinking about weren't "stand-outs". Everything was either bland or seasoned with something like paprika. Meats were very cheap (I can buy better myself at Kroger). The sauces were good but not enough to save the meals. It was a huge let down. We will not be back - there are too many better alternatives. Too bad.Special Features:
- DisappointedGoRedsDined on 8/1/2014This was our second time at Salar. We at there on a Friday evening. It was a group of 3. We had reservations, but they seated us at a table at the bar. This would have been fine if we were just having drinks, but for a full meal for three people, it was uncomfortably cramped. The bartender who was serving us didn't do a great job of clearing stuff off of our table, and we never got bread like the last time I ate here. The food took way too long as well. The tuna entree I ordered was fairly unimpressive, though I will say that the duck ravioli was very good. The disappointing part was that we ate here previously and it was a much better experience. I doubt we will be back.
- SpectacularCWoodVIPDined on 8/1/2014Went with a friend for Restaurant Week and had an awesome dinner. Hummus, Chicken Chicharones and Ribeye were great and the service excellent. Always a go-to place for a great meal.Special Features:
- Good Restaurant Week StopJeffDined on 8/1/2014The special menu had a nice variety in both the starter and main courses. I had the white fish fritters, which were perfectly cooked. The dipping sauce seemed a little weak at first, but the taste lingered. My wife had a goat cheese, raspberries, and greens salad, which she very much enjoyed. We both had the risotto with shrimp. Both elements were very tasty, and there was a perfect amount of shrimp to accompany the risotto. The chocolate mouse for dessert was excellent, with small chocolate chunks. The only flaw was timing issues of food coming from the kitchen. The first course took a long time to arrive, and then the main courses arrived before my wife had finished her salad. The wait staff was a little slow to refill water glasses.Special Features:
- TraceDined on 7/31/2014Went for Restaurant Week with a friend. Both of us were highly satisfied with our food. The service was a bit spotty, but overall it was a lovely experience. The only complaint, if I had to find one, was that the sugar crust on the flan was REALLY sticky and chewy. I hadn't been to Salar for a year, and my friend had never been. We will both definitely be back.Special Features:
- Disappointing and OverpricedDaytonFoodieDined on 7/31/2014We were excited to introduce our friends to Salar, but by the end of the evening we wished we had dined at another restaurant. After making reservations, we were seated at a table right by the restrooms, so all evening we had a lovely view of people walking in and out of the lavatory. Not a very appetizing location. Our server was nice, but service overall was really slow. The long wait in between courses gave us time to catch up with our friends, but we had to yell a bit to be heard. Salar is extremely loud. All of our food from appetizers, to main courses to desserts were mediocre or bad. The steaks were tough, the pork filet mignon was overcooked, the salmon undercooked and the cheesecake was dry and tasteless. Disappointing all around.
- AsquaredDined on 7/31/2014The food was excellent and the chef made a special effort to accomodate my wife's food allergies. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is an Awesome restaurantfoodsnobDined on 7/31/2014Great food. Great preservation. Just a gem restaurant in Dayton. Harry is awesome. Don't miss this on you will love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014Was a pleasant evening out. The Restaurant Week menu is interesting however the food wasn't quite as good as I recall it being on my last visit. The pork tenderloin was overcooked...rather dry and tough...but the sides were very good. The flan was pretty much came right out of the Jell-O box... Service was cheerful and efficient...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointeddandpcoopDined on 7/28/2014I went with my husband and ordered the rib eye. It was TERRIBLE! The cut of meat was bad, it was not cooked to temperature, and the flavor was bland. The server did not ask how my meal was. Even when he took away a nearly full plate, he did not ask if anything was wrong. Not wanting to cause aquardness for my date, we ended up paying 30.00 for something I didn't even eat.Special Features:
- well deserved 5 starspattDined on 7/28/2014Our first visit but not our last! My husband and I both had seafood dishes. both were. creative and delicious. Presentation were almost works of art. The staff was friendly, helpful and attentive. welcoming atmosphere. We are already planning our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar DiningCJclassof84Dined on 7/28/2014The weather was beautiful Monday evening so the four of us wanted to sit out on the patio but were told happy hour prices only applied if we sat at the bar ....we didn't understand what difference that should make....we were there from 5:00 until 9:00 so we felt happy hour prices should apply no matter where you sit in the restarauntSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperienceFoodSkepticDined on 7/26/2014Wonderful food from starters through desserts. Plenty of choices for thouse who are adventerous and others who like more standard fare. The duck ragut ravioli was outstanding (very rich).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salar excellent as alwaysJanetDined on 7/24/2014Birthday dinner with my friend. Tyler made us welcome and made sure we were well taken care of all evening. Catch of the day (Mahi) was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salar is so good!!!alnbonnieDined on 7/18/2014We tried Salar for lunch while visiting Downtown Dayton today. It was spot-on for me. I am a vegetarian and I like flavorful food. I had the grilled tofu with barley and it was wonderful. Just a word of warning to my meat and potatoes fans, if you don’t like lots of flavor and varied spices, don’t go. The mixture of spices was superb. My wife had the shrimp skewer and she thought her dish was excellent also. Great find in the old Oregon historical district on 5th street. Will come again.Special Features:
- Great Oregon District restaurant!HawaiiansunDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I took our young kids (ages 4-1/2 years and 18 months). Salar only has one high chair so if you're bringing a young toddler, make sure you reserve the high chair! Otherwise, your child will be sitting on your lap for the meal and you will not enjoy it. My husband and I have traveled to S. America many times, and the food here took us back to the delicious flavors from our travels. Great variety. Food came out very fast (we went on a Saturday night at 6:15pm), and we were done with appetizers and entrees by 7:30pm. No dedicated kids menu but they do cheese pizza and chicken fingers off-menu (the cheese pizza was huge). The mojito and pisco sour were terrific. Highly recommend. Will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent expierenceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014The food was wonderful and so were the drinks. It was more than a meal it was an experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Your Typical Dining ExperienceLmomDined on 7/10/2014Do you ever tire of being rushed in a restaurant...the waiter constantly asking if everything is OK, swiping your plates away as you take the last bite? Salar is a dining experience much like being in Europe....the food is outstanding...portions are freshly prepared, at the right temperature and perfectly sized. The wait staff is not obtrusive but still remains present enough so you don't feel abandoned. A perfect gem of a place right here in Dayton, Ohio.Special Features:
- Salar is the gem of Daytonjo117Dined on 7/7/2014I used to live in Maryland and frequented quite a few restaurants in MD and DC. Dayton simply cannot be compared or measured up. However, Salar gave Dayton something to brag about. The food, the service, the ambience are just as good as what you can find in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lovely experiencemaudeequalityDined on 7/5/2014We went to Salar on a recommendation from a friend. The food was so yummy. Our server, Calvin, was very knowledgeable and recommended great drinks and desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit to SalarOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/4/2014We were in town for a show at Fraze Pavillion for the first time and checked out Open Table to see what was available. Man, what a great find! Cool funky little joint with great service. Serious mixology with a beautiful bar and outstanding dinner special. The humus bread service was great and the paella special was phenominal. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- ExceptionalCWoodVIPDined on 6/28/2014I always look forward to a meal at Salar and as always I was not disappointed. The small plates offer interesting choices you will not find anywhere else. Their cocktail and wine lists are wonderful.Special Features:
- Surprising findDocMilnerVIPDined on 6/27/2014We have been a little nervous anticipating our move from a very large city to Dayton. Came here a little early to get the lay of the land and were pleasantly surprised that the first place we ate (Salar) was excellent! We were greeted in an upscale lobby by the bar, taken through the restaurant to the back courtyard (there are TWO outdoor eating areas) and seated in a comfortable area that, even full would be quiet and romantic. The food options were eclectic and a little edgy. Really nice and excellent service from not only our waitress but everyone with whom we had contact.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressing my out-of-town guestsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014I booked a table for my sister's bachelorette party. Most of the attendees were from out of town -- Akron, Columbus and Cleveland, to be specific. We did experience a hiccup in our plans when the taxi service I scheduled in advance fell through, but the staff at Salar was patient and gracious as we scrambled to acquire last-minute transportation options. When we arrived, we were immediately seated and our server was excellent in her ability to make appropriate suggestions for our party. We ended up splitting several fantastic small plates and were all quite happy and full when we left. There were a couple ladies in our group who looked down their nose a bit at the idea of fine dining in Dayton, and I was glad to have changed their minds!Special Features:
- Grest location, ambience and staffluvysDined on 6/13/2014Definitely enjoying the new Friday lunch at Salar. Great for indoor or outdoor seating, and with free valet, parking is never a problem. The new lunch menu with new plant-based options is generous and reasonable for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Great staffButters443Dined on 6/7/2014Molly our waitress was great. Knows her food and her suggestions were right on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!EatinoutDined on 6/7/2014We did not get our favorite servers....the one we had was OK...the food was fantastic and the drinks to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As disappointing as I remember itwinetasterVIPDined on 6/6/2014My husband and I decided to try dinner here for the third time. It was as I remembered it. The menu offers the same dishes that are not seasonal and too heavy for summer. I immediately eliminated any entree that included mashed potatoes and creams which was most. I can't get past the weird mixture of heavy cream based things with exotic spices. I had the beef on skewers and could have done without the sauce. The grape tomato side was not a good contrasting accompaniment and the risotto was that nasty, creamy stuff which I was trying to carefully avoid when I ordered. The pizza my husband had was overloaded with toppings making it had too handle and adding to that "too heavy" character that is prevalent in this place.Special Features: