3008 Waialae Ave
Honolulu, HI 95448Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 8082597100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon 11am-2pm
Dinner: Mon-Sun 5pm-12am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Ryojiro Tsuchiya
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music on Tuesday night, & Late Night Special On
A word from Sakura Waialae
The Saukra, or Cherry blossoms in Japan, represent the best time of year for grilling outdoors and celebrating the best time of year. Sakura restaurant on Waialae Ave. wants to give diners that feeling Always! We have the freshest sushi and some traditional regional dishes of Japan; and we offer some modern makeovers with new style! please come and let us make you feel at home.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sakura Waialae reviews from OpenTable diners
- The establishment was closedLovesYummyVIPDined on 5/4/2014Our reservations were for 5:30pm May 4th, but we got there at 5:15pm. The restaurant was dark and when we walked to the door, there was a sign that said they had closed on April 28th. Could not someone have emailed us to let us know, rather than us making a wasted trip? The fact that they are still listed on Open Table gives me the impression that they are planning to open again elsewhere. It was an inconvenient disappointment. It was fortunate that it was not a great distance from where we live.Special Features:
- Tuesday Ladies Night OutluvgdfoodDined on 4/15/2014The two of us had dined here before and have always found the food more than satisfactory. Every dish has a different twist that makes it different from other restaurants in its category. The spicy ahi handrolls were not unique, but good with fresh, crisp nori, The vegetable salad topped with a small tempura softshell crab was excellent. The broiled salmon with misoyaki sauce was very good. Dessert was a large platter of French toast topped with lots of whipped cream and fresh strawberries and a bottle of maple syrup to pour over it all. It seemed so excessive for the diet conscious, but it was great! Plus they had a large dollop of extra whipped cream sprinkled with diced fresh strawberries on the platter. We ate it all.Special Features:
- My group went on a ThursdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/20/2014My group went on a Thursday night. There was a big group that arrived just before we did. Only one server and needless to say, service was very slow. Dishes were brought out one or two at a time so the kitchen staff must have also been short staffed. Not impressed with the food or the service.
- #gottagoagainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/17/2014What an amazing night! Cold beers, good food, great friends, and listening to Dave Toma!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT NEIGHBORHOOD EATERYLuv2eatVIPDined on 2/3/2014I've been deciding for awhile to try this place out. Finally did and was glad I did. If you go during happy hour you have a wider selection to choose from. The food was good, the service was great but the desert, excellent! You have to try the sweetbread french toast cheesecake. It's the BOMB!!! Happy Eating.....;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedJaseHNLDined on 12/24/2013Décor has a lot of potential, however all the cardboard box clutter does not add to the Japanese theme. The service was also lacking. Appetizers and dinner arrived at the same time. One of the waitresses were eating cookies while waiting for the food to come out of the kitchen. Food was not worth the price. Would have gotten better at Shirokiya.
- Sakura for 3Silex250Dined on 12/18/2013Went on a weeknight and it was empty, which worked out for us. Service was great as we practically had the place to our self and our own waiter. The only disappointment was with the sushi bar. Sushi bar did not have toro, California roll did not have real crab, and did not have tamago. The hamachi however was excellent as well as other selection of sushi we ordered. Although was not busy it made for atmosphere that allowed us to have a casual dinner with good friends. I would definitely go back if restaurant is still open.Special Features:
- Sunday was quietV123VIPDined on 10/6/2013Sunday lunch was quiet with only 3 tables occupied. They made Nigiri sushi for us even if it wasn't on the menu. Menu offers sashimi platter ($20). The Maguro was about $6/ 2 piece order. Unagi was $8.75/2 piece order. It was good but I wouldn't say melt in your mouth fresh. The (Dassai 50) sake didn't taste like what we (often) drink... the bottle didn't even look the same. The sake wasn't as sweet or smooth. Oh well...
- Cheesecake!LoriDined on 9/28/2013If you have any room for dessert, the cheesecake is a MUST! We have the berry and chocolate and they were both excellent. Next time we'll try the French toast cheesecake.Special Features:
- Very good food. A hole inmarct808VIPDined on 8/7/2013Very good food. A hole in the wall place. Will go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was good but...ExoticDinerDined on 7/16/2013Our reservation was for 8:15 and we were promptly seated, the very polite waitress took our orders then the waiting began after waiting 40 minutes someone else (also very nice) said we are just waiting for everything to be ready to bring it out together. After waiting another 15 minutes myself and a friend received our food fried rice and mahi mahi without the third friends food, 15 minutes later his food comes out and we realize its sashimi aka literally raw sliced fish. While the food was great and the servers polite it took an unusual amount of time to prepare. Leading us to believe the fish probably wasn't onsite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/4/2013This place is new so it seems to have some kinks to workout. The service was outstanding but the food has some work to do. The Ribeye tasted old and it was extra fatty. Every thing else was okay and we will give them another shot.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/16/2013Prices were good, selection pretty diverse. I was expecting Japanese cuisine, but they also had Italian, steaks, and some local favorites on the menu. Happy hour specials are well priced for beer and food. You have to try the French toast strawberry cheese cake dessert. Yummy. If you plan to have this dessert, go easy on your entree. It's a hefty portion. I'll be going back to try some of the other dishes. For dinner, go early, parking is limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and casualEastHNLFoodieVIPDined on 6/16/2013Sakura Waialae is a laid back and casual place. Good for drinks and heavy pupus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food But...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2013We were a party of two and still waited 45 minutes to get our food. It was great when it came out, ribs and hamburger steak. Visited on a Saturday night, but have heard this complaint from others as well during other nights. Tried the green tea tiramisu, but I would have renamed it a Japanese dessert platter because it doesn't really resemble tiramisu with the layers. More like green tea cream cake with tempura sweet potato and yummy azuki cream. Quality of the food is excellent and servers are friendly, but yeah- the wait can get long.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/30/2013Margarita was very watered down. Had the salmon belly as they had no Ahi Belly which is what we wanted to try. Needed more salt. The calamari and fries were ok and the tofu kimchi was simple. The cream cheese berry dessert we had was very good. The hand roll spicy ahi was ok and nothing special. Overall, food was just average tasting.
- Simple Good Japanese FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2013Casual, friendly service, clean. Nothing fancy, menu simple. But if you're looking for a casual Japanese restaurant where you can have a drink and eat some good food, Sakura is a great place!Special Features:
- Good food and excellent desserts!DeanVIPDined on 3/29/2013Good food and excellent desserts! The wait staff try their hardest to maintain customer satisfaction.Special Features:
- Very good and interestingDeanVIPDined on 2/16/2013Very good and interesting special menu items. Try the French toast cheese cake dessert. it is my new favorite.Special Features:
- The wait staff is very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013The wait staff is very friendly and tries really hard, but something is not clicking as far as service goes. Food came out quite randomly, and I don't think they get the idea of appetizers. The food was decent, but not memerable. That said, it was pretty good for the price. They have a nice sake sampler, too. And the dessert was actually delicious (every choice is some sort of deconstructed cheesecake). There is a lot of potential here, and I hope they get it wired down. I recommend it with qualifications, as you will have a nice meal here, but don't make this your special night out.
- Very disappointedalb808Dined on 2/14/2013We went as a family Valentine's night and when we entered the restaurant, we were kind of shocked at the restaurant's lack of decor and ambiance. It was like walking into an old western saloon bar. There were only 2 staff on the floor. The waiters were actually very nice and attentive but it was the kitchen staff I was disappointed in. The food took more than 30 minutes to get my wife and I's food and another 10 after that for my son to get his grilled butterfish. I know it doesn't take 45 minutes to grill a fish. My steak was good but warm and not hot off the grill. My son's miso butterfish had no miso. he barely ate it. My wife's hamburger steak tasted like it was previously frozen.
- Went on Valentine's evening.debDVIPDined on 2/14/2013Went on Valentine's evening. They were a little short handed but called a few helpers in, guess they weren't expecting it to be busy. The food was very good. Started with some appetizers, ahi poke, hamachi capaccio - both very fresh. I had the salmon, we also tried the saimen, sautes soba noodles, and a side of Kalbi, all were delicious. It was worth the wait. Will come back again.Special Features:
- AverageLexusDined on 2/14/2013Service was mediocre - or perhaps they weren't prepared for Valentine's day to be busy! Food was just ok - we had the unagi don and the garlic ahi belly. Ahi carpaccio with balsamic was good. Sapporo on tap was great! It was fairly pricey for what we received and I'm not sure we'd return nor were we really tempted to try anything different.Special Features:
- Great new place for food andDeanVIPDined on 1/19/2013Great new place for food and cocktails. Very attentive staff. A great new find!Special Features:
- natto maguro awesome, ox tailmonzVIPDined on 1/18/2013natto maguro awesome, ox tail nitsuke wow, ramen oishii, pulehu short ribs ok.beer...sapporo draft, good.unless u go early, parking has always been an issue at this spot.Special Features:
- Food was very good. The selectionOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2012Food was very good. The selection was different from other Japanese restaurant. Will definitely go back to try other dishes.Special Features: