683 E. Lake Street
Wayzata, MN 55391Neighborhood:
Wayzata / Long Lake
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sakanamn.com/
- Phone: (952) 476-7000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 12:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Sushi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sakana Sushi
Come experience the variety of authentic foods and atmosphere. Sakana serves the best sushi in town. Japanese food is presently enjoying popularity in many parts of the world because it is not only pleasant to the eye and delicious, but is also highly regarded as health food. We serve only the freshest, highest quality foodContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Sakana Sushi - Best Restaurants in Wayzata / Long Lake ›
Sakana Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (6)neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)good for groups (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Always a hitjust4plaayDined on 10/8/2014This is an excellent place to eat and we frequent it many times a year. Our last visit was the first tie the service has ever been mediocre instead of great. Fortunately the food was still wonderful and we laughed it off. The truth is we've come to expect such great service here that even what we consider an off night for them is still better than most establishments.Special Features:
- Best Sushi in WayzataVANB1Dined on 8/20/2014The Sushi chefs at Sakana are the best in the Twin Cities--try the special rolls! But don't miss the entrees--they are as good as you will get at Nobu in NYC. Miso Cod is my favorite. Forbidden Love is a combination of chicken and shrimp--those yummy small rock shrimp tempura make a great appetizer also. The service is great too. If you can get a table outside in the summer, it's a great way to enjoy the food. I do wish they would expand the wine list just a bit.Special Features:
- My go to sushi placebkirkDined on 8/16/2014The hello kitty roll is fantastic. As is crunchy roll and sakana roll. The udon is also really good if you are not in a sushi mood or with someone that doesn't want sushi. It isn't just a sushi place and I have ben happy with everything I have gotten there. Have gone for dinner with just my wife, with clients and with my wife and our two teenagers and they always went well. The only negative is if you get a straight sushi like white tuna or something the pieces of sushi are not that large but they are very good.Special Features:
- Consistently goodMidwesttransplantDined on 8/9/2014yes, the service can sometimes be slow but the food is always good. This is definitely the best value in Wayzata. If you are wondering what to order, ask the server for suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/29/2014Great food as always, but the service was poor. We waited over 45 minutes from the time we ordered until our food arrived!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 238 reviews are from the Sakana Sushi reviews archive.
- good for 2 and kidOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014First time exploring for sushi in this area. 2 adults and 1 year old. We all had a great time. Rolls themselves are expensive, but they were good. We spent too much (over $100), but then they actually ended up giving free desert, which was nice. Baby did not cry at all, so he must have had a good time too. I will save a few paychecks and return
- Wayzata in the Summer!RBNiVIPDined on 7/17/2014Sakana has great food and a great location directly across from Wayzata Bay. We ate outdoors under the umbrellas, and it was perfect weather, and a great relaxing meal. All that we ordered was tasty as expected. I at 4 variations of sushi, which all were good. My lunch mate is not a sushi eater, and he enjoyed a Bento Box lunch and was very happy! There is a lot to see, as there is Main Street between Sakana and the water. I like the car show that drives by as you eat (lots of nice cars due to the rich people living in the area), and the 1950's atmosphere where everyone seems happy as they are strolling around on the sidewalks. Very nice lunch....memorable!Special Features:
- Good food but incredibly LOUDJimDolanVIPDined on 7/10/2014Good good well served. Terrific staff. But all hard surfaces and crowded place makes for almost painful noise levels. We couldn't hear each other and our server couldn't hear us. We love this place but not when it is busy. If you want to talk, go to Gianni's down the block, where good is excellent and noise level is reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but ok serviceTravelinfoodiesDined on 7/3/2014The sushi we ordered was excellent despite us waiting nearly 40 minutes for our first dish to arrive. Fun atmosphere, just wish the service was a little better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- sammato16Dined on 6/19/2014Very good food and attentive / friendly staff and service. We love the Black Dragon Roll and the special fried rice was outstanding. We have been there 3 times so far and will definately be back!Special Features:
- Fathers Day DinnerBruncherDined on 6/15/2014Had a very nice dinner at Sakana for Fathers Day. Sushi was fresh - they have a really great selection with some inventive combinations. The noodle and rice dishes were very good also. Service was highly attentive. A nice addition to the Wayzata dining scene.Special Features:
- Great Sushi!ShoesDined on 5/17/2014Nice restaurant in a vibrant area serving some of the best sushi I have had.Special Features:
- SushiEram31Dined on 5/3/2014The best sushi in the suburbs and maybe in the citySpecial Features:
- Good food, service is slowMidwesttransplantDined on 5/2/2014Food is good but service can be very slow. Waited 20 minutes an for appetizer, server came by three times to say it would come any minute.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent but not greatGFdinerDined on 4/26/2014The sushi was OK...there are lot of rolls to choose from but unfortunately majority all have some sort of tempura inside and I cannot eat tempura due to celiac disease. we went on a Saturday and had reservations. It was not very busy but service was very slow. The fish portions seemed small and tasted fine but didn't taste as fresh and flavorful as other sushi places. Will probably return but will try something other than sushi.Special Features:
- Creative presentationsBillandAnnVIPDined on 4/25/2014Jimmy and his team of Sushi Chefs do an excellent job of presenting great meals. We recommend sitting at the Sushi bar and enjoying the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What happened to this Lake Gem?GreektomeVIPDined on 4/22/2014Seated at a two-top table by the restrooms was bad enough but why a cart full of dirty plates, cutlery and chopsticks was situated nearby throughout our dining "experience" was a question best left unanswered! I ordered a couple of overpriced rolls ($19 for s sweet heart roll!) and my wife ordered shrimp Tempura. After seeing what had to be my order of sushi sitting unattended at the Sushi Bar for 20 minutes, we asked another server (ours was nowhere to be found) to check if it was for our table. Indeed, it was! Literally 75 minutes after ordering, my wife's Tempura was finally presented! Even though the restaurant was sparsely populated, we saw that several tables were having a similar frustrating experience. Completely downhill!
- Great Sushi / Great ServiceSornyDined on 4/12/2014One of my favorite Sushi spots in town - the staff is always super accommodating and friendly and the Sushi is always consistently great! The not so secret "Secret" menu with Sakana signature specialty rolls has a great selection that you don't find on other menus. I converted my father a few years ago into a sushi fan but my mother was always a skeptic -- until last Sat. when I took her to Sakana for her birthday. The chef's did not disappoint and now I have another convert ;-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time flop?MLEPAULDined on 4/11/2014Maybe my expectations are off, but I expect when I make a reservation, I'd expect to get seated close to that time. Not here. Upon arriving 15 minutes early we were told it would be a 20 minute wait. We then proceeded to watch others get seated before us. Finally seated 30 minutes after our reservation time (waiting for 45 mins total) we were sitting down. The server came promptly to greet us but when we asked for just a moment to look over the wine list, we didn't realize that would translate to another 30 minute wait. All in all, we got food an hour and a half AFTER our reservation time which by then it was HH time, but do you think they honored those prices, no. Terrible service and the food was fair. Not a good first impression.
- Last minute dinnerMak1VIPDined on 4/11/2014We decided last minute to go here and got a reservation on open table. Right after we walked in it got very busy. Service was good. We did not feel rushed. The sushi was delicious! We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- SeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014Tables were way too close together---I was practically touching elbows with the people next to meSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SushisimonDined on 4/1/2014Will definitely be pullinng the boat up for dockside delivery, delicious!!!Special Features:
- Amazing Japanese FoodVANB1Dined on 3/20/2014Sakana's menu is fantastic--maybe the best sushi bar in Twin Cities. Entrees like miso cod and "Forbidden Love" are delicious and as good as you would find at Nobu venues. It's kitchen serves until 10pm so it's one of the few places in Wayzata where you can dine at a later hour. The servers are wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Broad menu, reliably good foodJimDolanVIPDined on 3/1/2014This is much more than a sushi place, more like Asian fusion, with a variety of other Asian dishes. We eat here frequently and the food is constently very good and the service is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor customer servicegoodeaterVIPDined on 2/17/2014We previously enjoyed Sakana, but sadly, likely will not be returning. We came for dinner with a Groupon. Upon arrival, they tried to add extra restrictions to its use. We asked to speak with someone, and the server that came out was combative. We left without eating and asked for a call from a manager. Manager didn't call. When we called to follow up, he apologized, asked us to return, and said he would be there to "take care" of us at that visit. When we arrived for the reservation we made directly with him, he wasn't working and nothing was done in regards to our prior experience. There are too many other good options nearby to make it worth eating here.
- Delectable!McDooglesteinDined on 2/14/2014Good food, great service. I highly recommend the coconut curry soup! When I made the reservation I had special comments and they followed them perfectly.Special Features:
- Bad tempuraOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/13/2014So-so mango salmon roll. Tempura shrimp was heavy and doughy.
- Great fresh foodyummy83Dined on 2/9/2014Love the food. I love that they had pink ginger. Reminds so much of sushi places in my home state California. Husband loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual, sushi was freshOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/7/2014As usual, sushi was fresh and delicious. On this particular night, service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the Food and ServiceChuckDined on 2/5/2014We tried entrees from the menu this time vs. focusing on the Sushi options. The food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Sakana!CoopersDined on 1/28/2014The food is always wonderful as is the service. We can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Sushi in MinnesotaVySeiboldDined on 1/24/2014The food was great. Service was excellent too. Has a bit of a strip mall sushi joint feel, but as the experience starts, it's easy to get over that. Would highly recommend, for a reasonably priced sushi dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice.ScottVIPDined on 1/21/2014I was pleasantly surprised by the menu and the quality of the food. I say surprised because I know many Sushi restaurants look and feel all the same. I thought they did a nice job with a creative menu and the overall presentation of the food. I had sushi and my guest had Pad Thai and said it was very good and seemed to be made from fresh ingredients. I would go back. A very nice addition to downtown Wayzata.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, wonderful service!SHMSPenjoyDined on 1/20/2014The sushi is very fresh, delicious and beautiful presentations! The service is very genuine and attentive. My only complaint is every time I've gone in the winter it is very cold every time the door opens. But overall I love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spendy SushiChuckDined on 1/17/2014We arrived at about 6:55 and indicated we had a reservation for 7:00 p.m. The hostess explained that because of a computer glitch they were overbooked and no tables were available. We waited about 15 minutes before being seated right by the drafty door. I thought the Chef Specialty Sushi rolls were overpriced and a 22 ounce Sapporo was $10.00. Spent $66.00 and left hungry. Should have gone to the grocery store!
- Left Us AloneLuncherDined on 1/9/2014The food was superb, the service prompt and unobtrusive. It was a pleasure not to have a waiter or waitress coming to the table every few minutes asking how it was or if we wanted anything. So many places are annoying when you are intruded upon constantly...particularly in places when the might not be that many people there and the wait person isn't aware how often they come bak to the table. Love the lunch specials here and will return soon. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food, service & ambience!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/16/2013Thank you to the staff at Sakana's for such a memorable evening of dining and celebrating our son's 18th birthday. It was perfection. Friendly and welcoming staff, modern and beautiful restaurant with a view of beautiful Lake Minnetonka. The food was amazing - from appetizers to dessert. We especially enjoyed the Crunch Roll and Spicy Girl and the Calamari!!Special Features:
- Always Delicious!VANB1Dined on 12/1/2013We eat at Sakana often since it is close to our home. The food really is exceptional and "Nobu-like" quality. This time we took our 3 year old grandaughter and that went well too. This is an intimate-size restaurant so good idea to make a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantastic food.dsandersDined on 11/19/2013My wife and I took our kids to Sakana for my sons 9th birthday dinner. Our kids always love the Japanese sodas and the chopstick cheaters that they give the kids. Both my son and my 6 year old daughter attacked the spring rolls and edamame as usual, but the big surprise was my sons interest in the Spicy Tuna Roll and the super secret Volcano Roll. All of our appetizers and entrees were flavored to perfection and the service was perfect. Sakana has been and will continue to be a perfect go to restaurant where we all get what we want and thoroughly enjoy ourselves.Special Features:
- YumChrisDined on 11/18/2013Awesome sushi, sat at the sushi bar and it was great to see the chef's prepair the food. They are artist's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.