Sakana - St Paul
740 Cleveland Ave S
Saint Paul, MN 55116Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Sakana - St Paul
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 6516997777
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday -Friday: 11:30am -2:30pm
Dinner: Monday -Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: Noon - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Sushi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sakana - St Paul
Come experience the variety of authentic foods and atmosphere. Sakana serves the best sushi in town. Japanese food is presently enjoying popularity in many parts of the world because it is not only pleasant to the eye and delicious, but is also highly regarded as health food. We serve only the freshest, highest quality food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sakana - St Paul reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)great for lunch (7)fit for foodies (4)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)good for groups (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Rude customer service!!!!SushiloverDined on 8/29/2014Waiter in the saint paul restaurant was really rude! The service was awful! The waiter acts conceited and raise his voice when he served us. We felt he didn't want to serve us and wanted us to leave the restaurant. I've been working in customer service for the past 15 years and I just know. FYI: it is not the new hire. This waiter needs more training otherwise don't work in customer service! I will not recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Dinner at SakanaMarybelleVIPDined on 8/7/2014Very good sushi and entrée although the service was a little slow and a little wait for drinks. Thee goodness of the food made up for the waits.Special Features:
- We love eating here!KristenDined on 7/18/2014This is a great restaurant in our neighborhood. My kids love eating here and the staff is great about serving certain foods faster if necessary. We've always enjoyed what we have eaten and enjoy coming back regularly. It isn't cheap, but no sushi is. We especially like the Sweatheart roll and #9.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for good sushiKgtrekinDined on 7/3/2014This is one of the best sushi locations in the twin cities. Excellent for kids and families. The Twins roll ended up being our favorite but Spicy Girl was delish as well! Let the kids try the Japanese sodas just for fun (less sugar than normal soda) and ask for the chop stick cheats -so everyone can enjoy the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 58 reviews are from the Sakana - St Paul reviews archive.
- Unfortunately: Terrible serviceEvansbr814Dined on 6/20/2014Ate Sushi, and it was great. Tuna TarTare wasn't what we expected- it unfortunately tasted and looked eerily like tuna from a can. But what really dragged my review down to two stars was the fact that it took over 45 MINUTES just to get our appetizer! Then the waitress disappeared again not to be seen for about 10-15 more minutes. It was a horrible, horrible date night for me and my wife. We left immediately after receiving our food where we were still ready to eat more, but didn't want to wait for who knows how long to get our next course.
- Standout SushichefVIPDined on 5/20/2014Sakana St Paul is fast becoming one of our favorite lunch spots because of their very high quality food, a clean and attractive dining area, great service and easy to get to location. Prices are a good value for the fresh and well-prepared sushi, sashimi, and composed entrees. The lunch bento selections are a great deal and midday service is speedy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Sakana!CocoVIPDined on 5/14/2014It is hard to believe this place used to be a KFC restaurant. The decor is very pleasant in a minimalist way and the numerous small booths make it a little intimate. The food is great and fresh. I have been there several times but have not tried the sushi. There are plenty of other dishes to try. Everything I have eaten there has been very good. The service is excellent and attentive. I highly recommend this restaurant which is a great addition to Highland Park.Special Features:
- Excellent Sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/3/2014Had the sumo roll - absolutely delicious, very spicy! Loved it. My husband had the "hot pot" and the scallops were really, really yummy but the rest was more of a "good to very good" rating, not quite excellent. The bamboo steamer with tofu that one of our friends had was bland but hey, what do you expect from ordering that at a sushi place? We had to wait a while for our food but it was a busy Saturday night so understandable. Waiter made some good recommendations and was pretty much there when we needed him. In all, kind of pricey but generally worth it.Special Features:
- Good sushiRhoweyVIPDined on 4/18/2014Really nice sushi right on the heart of St Paul's Highland Park neighborhood. Wonderful saki selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a group of 13 whichduff26Dined on 4/8/2014We had a group of 13 which they handled well with separate checks and all. There was an odd, really strong smell in the restaurant I can only describe as a cleaning agent mixed with dirty diaper. The food was just mediocre. Not bad, not great. My salad had very little dressing and a giant unripe tomato slice on it. The bento box lunches looked better than than the sushi rolls I had. There are much better sushi restaurants in town for me, so no need to re-visit this one.Special Features:
- Fun for allChristieDined on 4/5/2014Dining at Sakana is fun for adults and kids too! There is something delicious for everyone on the menu. It's a great place to dine for date night or a family fun night. I would highly recommend Sakana!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi rolls .KRAEVIPDined on 3/21/2014We have had a variety if good sushi rolls here . The Goyza is delicious . It tempura is good . We have not cared for some of the other offerings. For example the Pad Thai didn't taste like Pad Thai.. It seems best to stick with the sushi. The staff is welcoming. From the outside you can see the place used to be a KFC but the inside is nicely transformed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than their Wayzata locationAmyHDined on 3/20/2014Some sushi places only have a few specialty rolls that I like, but this place had many. The only detractor was the wiggly seat back in our booth, made worse by the annoying people in the adjoining booth that kept moving around and shaking the whole thing. Seriously...Nail that thing down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my last visitspdinerDined on 3/14/2014Sakana was my choice for a weekly dinner with friends. We try a different restaurant each week in order to find the gems. Sakana is definitely one of those gems. We were not rushed by the wait staff and the evening specials were described in detail. The price point is a bit higher than $30/person if you have drinks, an app, and a roll or two. However, good sushi shouldn't be inexpensive so it was well worth the price. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Price, Good SushichefVIPDined on 3/12/2014An inexpensive lunch with good quality sushi and other Japanese dishes. Try the lunch Bento specials. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always satisfiedKristenDined on 3/2/2014We eat here regularly and appreciate the proximity to our house. We NEVER ate at the former business and I really appreciate having the option in the neighborhood. The staff are all very friendly and when it is not busy, the food comes very quickly. We've had some slower dinners, but only at the height of the rush. Sushi is expensive or we'd eat here more. They also have non-sushi options. Their prices are comparable to other places we've been to (based only on my memory) but it is not less expensive. They are fine with having kids there (they have the chopstick helpers which is appreciated) and we always feel welcome. I could only ask that there were more specials in an effort to save money, but all in all, we like the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Night Happy HourJackieDined on 2/22/2014This was the second time my husband and I have been here for the late night happy hour, and we love it! The Hello Kitty role is fantastic! We will be back!Special Features:
- Sushi was good, not outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/16/2014Sushi was good, not outstanding but very good. I would go back. Service was attentive if a little rushed. Forgot our appetizers, but quickly corrected it without an issues when brought to servers attention. Really like what they did with the place. Former KFC unrecognizable.Special Features:
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/15/2014The food was very good. Kitchen was pretty slow. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhillinventorVIPDined on 2/14/2014The quality of the food has deteriorated since Sakana St. Paul opened. Sad, because I used to adore this restaurant. Now it's just average.
- A neighborhood sushi delightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/6/2014From ridiculous to sublime...who would have thought this former KFC could have been converted to a sushi. Everything we tried was delicious. Great beer, great saki. We've been to Sakana a number of times and have made it part of our regular dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful restaurant for any hungryartmstoneVIPDined on 2/3/2014This is a great Japanese restaurant. Their fish is the best, their service is the best, and the employees are all happy to see you, which always makes the meal more pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome as usualRegularDined on 2/1/2014We love Sakana and consider ourselves regulars. My only negative comment would be the hours. We met friends for a late dinner and Sakana advertises that it is open until 11PM. However, around 10PM they stopped serving food. If you are closing your kitchen earlier that you close your restaurant, you should advertise that.Special Features:
- Consensus at lunchlivingsocialpatronVIPDined on 1/22/2014Three of my colleagues and I tried out Sakana for lunch. All of us thought the food and service were excellent. On the way out the door, we all said "we'll be back!" What an excellent replacement for the KFC at that site.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better last time aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/10/2014Our spring rolls were tiny and tough to chew...would not recommend.
- Best in the Twins CitiesraterDined on 12/28/2013Best sushi I've had in the Twin Cities at a good price. Good service and friendly people. Definatly check this place out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Good Servicemsp1Dined on 12/24/2013A decent place for Japanese food in the Highland Park area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highland Sushi, sans KFCHighlandguyDined on 12/21/2013Hard to believe this was once a KFC - no sign of the Colonel anywhere - great sushi, nice atmosphere and very attentive staff. I was pleasantly surprised and now have a great sushi place walking distance from my home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food, Great ServiceKabeDined on 12/20/2013My friends and I enjoyed our girls night out at Sakana's. We asked the waitress to pick out the three best dishes and we loved her choices. The service was fast and friendly and the food was tasty.They did run out of pomegranate juice for the cocktail we ordered but the other option was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi for the priceSushiGirlDined on 11/23/2013We went to this place just because we happened to be in the area. But what a great find! We had Sakana Sushi and Tuna Love. These dishes are mostly traditional nigiris with raw fish in top. And they were good! I highly recommend this place to anyone who loves sushi!Special Features:
- This Used to Be a Fried Chix Joint?jimmerDined on 11/14/2013After reading revews of Sakana, I decided to give it a try. TThe portions of nigiri were generous (ratio of fish to rice was high). They have a long menu of speciality rolls that looked great. Our server had some suggestions, which we followed. I was surprised at how reasonable the final tab was when it arrived. Highland Park is not a neighborhood I associate with destination restaurants. I do now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneKRAEVIPDined on 10/26/2013The sushi menu is impressive but people who do not eat sushi can find many options. There are noodle dishes, hot pots and a nice selection of appetizers . Diners in our group had edamame, Goyza. ( delicious) ,a noodle dish, hot pot and 2 sushi rolls. Everyone was satisfied. The service was friendly and attentive. It did take a while for the food to come out but pleasant enough place to visit over beers while waitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surpriseEthica9Dined on 10/4/2013The Tuna TarTar was amazing. Favorite dish of the night. Had just a few rolls and one specialty roll. Nothing amazing about them but they hit the spot. The waiter was attentive and engaging in conversation. We were served quickly, which had I been looking for a night out, would have been slightly disappointing. However, I wanted a quick dinner so this was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favorite!soozDined on 10/4/2013I've had both dinner and lunch now at Sakana and count it as a new favorite restaurant. It's near where I live and has lovely, (and for me non-allergenic) Asian food on a menu with many choices---it's just not sushi!. My dinner was the Thai pineapple chicken, served on a half pineapple; the other day is was the lunch combo of soup, eggroll and Thai pineapple curry. Both were excellent, and neither had so much food that I had to ask for a container! Service was nonobtrusive and efficient. At dinner, though, the place is much busier and noisier. I recommend a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sakana - St. PaulJackieDined on 9/28/2013Went late on a Saturday night with another couple... enjoyed their happy hour prices along with a couple specials for the day. Everything was delicious! We were definitely the last table in the restaurant, but never felt rushed by our server. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious andanna11claireDined on 9/28/2013The food was delicious and the presentation was beautiful. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Good food expensiveskulltakerDined on 9/27/2013Great Sushi. Expensive. Dinner for two around $50 though you can do it cheaper. They seem to be understaffed most of the times I have gone. This doesn't create a huge issue other than missed drink orders and such.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must TryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/15/2013Had guests from HKG that had a flight to catch. Called ahead and asked to have dinner served by a specific time. Walked in, table was ready and food came in 5 minutes. Guests visited Japan a lot but still reckoned these sushi were unique and very well made despite located in MN, thousands miles away from the shore. Kudos to the sushi chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great. PresentationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2013Food was great. Presentation was outstanding. Service was excellent but kitchen can be slow in preparing sushi. All in all, a very good restaurant if you want to impress someone with an excellent sushi meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why didn't we come here sooner?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2013We came to Sakana for my husbands birthday the other night. Even though we live close by, we didn't know it existed! What a great surprise! The appetizers, vegetable gyoza and calamari, were very tasty with fragrant sauces. My husband got a sushi combo that he was very pleased with. My daughter had tofu with broccoli with a nice brown sauce. A nice option is brown rice, although I wish it wasn't more expensive. I had an absolutely delicious seafood and vegetable yellow curry. It was a hit with everyone! The service was perfect, prompt and well timed. Location is good with parking. They also have 2 happy hours each day which we will come back for. Overall, a wonderful addition to Saint Paul's Highland Park neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.