157 Ludlow St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sakamai.com/
- Phone: (646) 590-0684
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Takanori Akiyama
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room
- Catering: Please contact us for catering. Please visit sakamai.com/catering
or email: email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: Mezzanine Capacity (private): 10 seated
Salon Capacity (semi-private): 8 seated
Main Bar Capacity: ~60 standing and sitting
Dining Capacity: 24 seated
Pour Bar Capacity: 30 standing and sitting
Buyout Capacity: 120-150 standing and sitting
- Private Party Contact: Jess G 6465900684
- Special Events: Please contact us for special events. Please visit sakamai.com/events or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from SakaMai
SakaMai is New York City's first dedicated saké lounge, celebrating traditional Japanese beverages in the modern Lower East Side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
SakaMai - Best Restaurants in Lower East Side ›
SakaMai reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (16)special occasion (11)late-night find (10)romantic (9)good for groups (8)notable wine list (7)hot spot (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great take on Japanese Izakaya foodkennerDined on 11/15/2014I went to Sakamai with my wife, her best friend and her husband. For the purpose of this blog the name of my wife's friend is Jane and her husband is Tom. Jane and Tom never had Japanese food before, so I was a bit nervous on how they would respond. I didn't need to worry however, the cuisine was excellent. We ordered the lotus root chips, pasta with uni and bone marrow, rice pot with mushrooms truffle, and truffle salad. Jane and my wife said it's probably the best salad they ever had. I would have to say it was definitely up there. The pasta was genius. Because of the ingredients, it gave a creamy mouth feel fooling you into thinking there was cream in there. We sat in the very back room. It was nice with a lounge feel to it. They were playing 90's hip hop music which I love on its own but was confused on how it fit in with the atmosphere. The staff were friendly. Yamazaki 18 was $30.00 so Tom and I ordered Hibiki 12 which I liked. I'm not a whiskey drinker so all I can say is that it was smooth. I really recommended this place for anyone wanting good Japanese food other than sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HuBennyDined on 10/19/2014It was a great great experience for me and my gf thnx to Shana and everyone great place to go and have tipical japanese foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- murphychampagneDined on 10/17/2014Really nice space. Felt very comfortable. Nice table size, not cramped. Small plates are really good. We tried 4 dishes, would have liked to order more, this was enough for us. Their dishes are really well prepared, great product on the plate, good portion.Special Features:
- B & IOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/15/2014We love Sakamai! Each dish is pretty unique and great for sharing! :)Special Features:
- Unique - strongly recommendedGabriDined on 10/2/2014Outstanding choice of drinks (Sakes in particular) and amazing food. The "Egg on egg on egg" must be tried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- uni ramen is a must try!YummyYummyDined on 9/5/2014Unique foods to pair with Japanese whisky and sake. Small dishes so light fare, perfect for pecking but not really a heavy meal if that what you are after.Special Features:
- Perfect night out!AnaNYCVIPDined on 8/23/2014Welcoming staff who patiently answers any questions you may have about the ingredients. Elegant decor. One of the best desserts ever: the Yogurt mousse with red berries and brown sugar sauce was sublime! Will definitely return.Special Features:
- For Sake lovers and beginnersBklynpopsDined on 8/12/2014If you're not sure if you love or even care about sake - this is the place to go. Great advice for the perfect paring of wonderful innovative food to sake will most likely make you a sake lover by the time you leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Suck on my .... egg on egg on eggEazimattDined on 8/6/2014The food is just great. The ramen were toothsome, the egg on egg on egg was fought over, the wagyu rolls were stolen (by me). This is what New York is all about. Inventive cuisine that is delicious and not outrageously priced. The massive bonus came with sake pairings provided by the wait staff who were very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 84 reviews are from the SakaMai reviews archive.
- Nice wait staffnekogamiVIPDined on 7/20/2014Really creative food. More than that, really nice guys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CreativeMMMariDined on 7/19/2014Saw it on open table, decided to try. 3 of us, 6:45pm Sat nite, not super busy, nice decor and bar. Creative items, tried a handful of small plates and rice hot pot (with fish). All good, from plating to taste. Good spot if you are in the mood for fusion flare and not traditional japanese cuisine. Server very good, very helpful with menu and suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceNiceDined on 7/17/2014Great service, nice subdued ambience, great Saké selection, knowledgeable staff. Some of the menu items could have been better. Fois gras dish was good, pork belly was delicious but a bit dry. Had the best Sake I have ever had. It was a nama Sake. Great complexity and flavor. I found prices very reasonable for the Sake and the plates I ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!!!Jonny2stepsDined on 6/15/2014I booked on open table and made a note that I was proposing to my girlfriend earlier in the day. The proposal plan did not work out so I had to do it at dinner. The staff noticed my girlfriend was not wearing a ring, so when she left the table for a moment they asked me how things went. I told them my new plan, and without me knowing, they were watching and brought sparkling sake over t the perfect time! Needless to say everything went perfect. Great food, got lucky with a private area in the lower back and amazing service. I'm from LA and wish SakaMai would open a location here!Special Features:
- Great foodMushroomVIPDined on 5/31/2014Egg on egg on egg ftw. Had a number of dishes and super innovative! Home made tofu felt clean and silky, great accompaniments. Kanpachi was fresh and good. Foie gras chawanmushi really tasted like foie gras - I was initially very skeptical. Pork on barley/farro was an explosion of taste in my mouth. Scallops on risotto - scallops were very fresh, the use of black rice was different and very wholesome tasting, if you are into that. Only thing I did not like was sea bream which was kind of tough. The rice ball that it was on top of was kind of whatever. Black sesame creme brûlée was special and the custard was thick and black sesame-like. If you like black sesame, do yourself a favour and get it.
- Moose212Moose212Dined on 5/25/2014My first experience drinking saki I do love wine and saki not a favorite. The portions were very small. Had to order many and an entree. Do not think I will returnSpecial Features:
- amazing foodModernJapansesefoodDined on 5/17/2014The food was really nice. Modern Japanese food very well doneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!pecochanDined on 5/9/2014I'm absolutely one of the big fans of SakaMai! If you love sake, shochu, Japanese beer, and serious cocktails, SakaMai would be your place. Also, their food is amazing! Try their special ribeye steak and black truffle rice pot! Oh, and don't miss egg on egg on egg! Heaven!Special Features:
- Refreshing take on JapaneseBonnyVIPDined on 4/25/2014Sakamai is lively, has a great atmosphere but yet is not too loud. Its a great place to hang with friends and every dish has interesting new tastes. Very creative and excellent food. A great new find!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/22/2014Did not like the food at all. Seafood had a fishy smell which means it wasn't cooked properly or it wasn't fresh. Will not be returning here.
- Great food, bumpy serviceWLNY7VIPDined on 4/19/2014I have always loved the food and the personable staff here. Last weekend I came with a friend and found out they have new staff and the service was notably down-graded. When ordering we had asked them to pace our courses but all our dishes came together - aside from overcrowding we had to rush through all the hot dishes before they got cold. After ALL the courses arrived, our server then asked if we'd like them to slow down the pace - which felt like a joke. They also thought we ordered two other dishes which we never even considered having. On top of that, they were out of many items but the server never told us when he gave us the menu. The food was great - just wish we could have enjoyed it. We opted to go elsewhere for dessert.Special Features:
- Reinventing Japanese CosineTribecaFoodieVIPDined on 4/12/2014This new take on Japanese cosine takes the best of contemporary American and French cosines to reinvent traditional Japanese dishes. The food is incredible and unique - nowhere in Manhattan will you find any dishes similar to what Sakamai has offer. The ambience is great and the service is also good.Special Features:
- The foods were great, andNewYorkerDined on 4/4/2014The foods were great, and the sake list was a decent list. But the overall the price was high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is a find...FrenchFoodieVIPDined on 3/29/2014Outstanding sake list. Fabulous and unusual cooking. Attentive and knowledgeable service. We sat in the back room beside the fireplace on a cold, dreary night and feasted on many small plates including the Egg on Egg on Egg, which could easily be served in a Michelin three star restaurant. Also highly recommended is the homemade tofu (we loved it so much we ordered two) and all the sashimi dishes. We preferred ordering small plates to ordering the prix fixe meal.Special Features:
- Poor food. Expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/21/2014The food was mediocre at best. Way over priced. So disappointed.
- EricWDined on 3/10/2014Very nice place. Attracted by its signature dish - egg on egg on egg. My girlfriend ordered the signature dish, but not that impressed to me. But the organic chicken dish I would highly recommend people to try.Special Features:
- Best Service I've had in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/4/2014Our waiter was outstanding, polite and really friendly. He took the time to give us a really personalized review when we asked him questions. We also got to do happy hour on Tuesday night, and Stephen Lyman introduced us to our first drink of Shōchū (an expert on the topic actually!). The food was also great- we did the tasting menu. Totally worth the money.Special Features:
- Delicious Exotic FoodWestVillageNewbieVIPDined on 2/28/2014No food here was ordinary... In a good way. I'm a picky eater, was a little nervous to try some of the food, but so happy I did. Everything was delicious, most notably the chicken. The rice pots were the icing on the cake and the desserts were fantastic. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sake list, and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/28/2014Great Sake list, and food is surprisingly good! Everything we had was very tasty; uni crostini, renkon chips, pork bun, and oyster rice (which takes 50 mins to prepare). The customer segment seems to be relatively young, such as college students, but the ambiance was not uncomfortable even for us. When the shochu that my husband ordered was gone, they made recommendation for substitute, and it was good. They seemed to be knowledgeable enough about sake and shochu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/26/2014My group of friends went for Japanese restaurant week however they did not offer any restaurant week specialties. We were quite disappointed as we were here for the specialties for Japan restaurant week and they only offered the their 'specialty' on their regular menu; Overall it's a great experience but I don't suggest going with a group of people as it is pricey.Special Features:
- Inventive menuAnniKAVIPDined on 2/16/2014Get the Egg on Egg on Egg! Uni, roe & eggs -- served in a sea urchin shell. Luscious and delicious! The food was definitely the star of the experience. We went in a group of 4 and decided to order various snacks, small plates and one main dish to share. Throughout dinner, we seemed to have 3 different servers & they weren't necessarily communicating, so we waited half an hour for beers and the timing of dishes being brought out for our group. The snacks and small plates were almost all very special - even the fried lotus chips had an interesting dusting of laver powder. Don't miss out on the Egg on Egg on Egg. I'd also recommend getting the homemade tofu, the menma (vegetables) , and even the kale salad was delicious!Special Features:
- Great food and ambianceFoodieCoupleDined on 2/14/2014Was there for Valentines day and had their prefix menu. Everything was perfectly prepared and was out of this world. This place is definitely a gem and would probably end up paying double as much in a more pretentious setting. Would definitely frequent more often.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedPinkyDined on 2/6/2014There service was awful - had to wait 35 mins to get our drinks (no joke, I timed it) and the food took forever too! will not be recommending this place to anyone
- Great small private spacemrmagooDined on 1/24/2014Great small private space for a special occasion of 8-12 people. staff very accommodating and helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Crazy Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/18/2014WE were pleasantly surprised by most of the dishes. However, when you factor in service it took away from the entire dining experience. The servers were slow, inattentive and unenthusiastic about making recommendations and aiding in our desire to consume beverages quickly and with our food..
- Delicious!2goodVIPDined on 1/18/2014The good was fantastic at Sakamai! I especially enjoyed the hot pot dishes! They so have a great sake, beer and Japanese whisky list. Perfect for a date. Fun for a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some great small plates butteeteeDined on 1/17/2014Some great small plates but did not like the more expensive rice pot (large plate) we got- the trout and mushroom rice pot which was raved about on Yelp wasn't really great at all, and worst of all, the trout tasted so dry and flavorless! Would go once just for the fun ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, great ambianceDinerama23Dined on 1/11/2014Had a wonderful dinner here with my dad, though I think we over indulged! The drinks are great- unique and not light on the booze and masterfully shaken. The service is not only professional, but beautifully classy- my dad's drinks were poured from a gin glass with a giant ice cube in it through a cocktail strainer, The food, while a little rushed after repeated asking for it to slow down is nothing short of creative, inventive and delicious. The chawanmushi and egg on egg were at risk of being repetitive but were different and we loved everything we ate except the yuba dumplings- give it a pass, tastes like every other Chinese dumpling you'll ever eat. So good job guys! My dad was also pleased that the GM recognized him. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!!!!snowtdayDined on 12/31/2013Everything was just delicious.This chef can really cook.Service was great and attended to all our needs without being overbearing.Cannot wait to go back!!!!Special Features:
- great food and ambienceYvonneDined on 12/21/2013it was our first time dining at SakaMai and certainly not the last time. Food and service were outstanding!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, relaxed environmentopentablebritVIPDined on 12/6/2013If you like trying different things come here- interesting food and drinks menu! Good service, intimate yet relaxed setting, great value!Special Features: