211 East 43rd Street
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sakagura.com/
- Phone: 2129537253x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Mon-Fri 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Yasuhiro Honma
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Catering: N/A
- Private Party Facilities: For private parties - minimum 25 people, for half the room - minimum of 15 people. Entire restaurant can be rented as well. Please call restaurant for details.
- Private Party Contact: Kazuya Saito 212-953-7253x
A word from Sakagura
According to Zagat, Suckers for sake swoon over the "hidden jewel" near Grand Central offering a "mind boggling" selection of rice wine "categorized by region", as well as an "understated, quiet" setting reminiscent of a "private club"; those in the know say it's "secret location" (in the basement of an office building) make it better.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Sakagura - Best Restaurants in Midtown East ›
Sakagura reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (56)special occasion (30)great for lunch (28)neighborhood gem (22)romantic (17)late-night find (15)notable wine list (14)hot spot (11)good for groups (10)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Once...is enough.ATXfoodieDined on 10/1/2014Very cool restaurant with interesting locale in a lower basement. You feel like finding the building super on the way to the entrance. However, our service was terrible, even though our waiter was fun and likable...just not there or attentive most the time. The pace and time between courses was interminable and random. As for the food...the seafood was very fresh, but if you are looking for the usual sushi garnished with wasabe and soy...forget it. This is the real (Japanese) deal. You get it as presented, no doctoring allowed. While I liked many of the items, the fluke, the roe, etc...there were also some real flavor duds. And, in my 30 years of eating sushi, this the first time in my life the best pieces served were the cooked red meats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/30/2014Enjoyed finding this place. Didn't know it was there but its obvious many folks do. Food and service was great. Will go back.Special Features:
- Wish I Knew MoreIronChefScottishDined on 9/27/2014Outstand preparation and service. Recommendations from the waiter were spot-on and fit our tastes perfectly. Menu can be difficult to follow or understand. May be easier for those who read Japanese. Overall excellent experience.Special Features:
- tamaleDined on 9/25/2014The waiters constantly kept asking us if we were done when we were clearly still eating. While the food was excellend, I am not sure I would return for this reason.Special Features:
- Outstanding sushitdeedeeDined on 9/24/2014Always have an amazing meal here. Come with an appetite and get the tasting menu. Hostesses can be a bit curt and borderline rude but the lunch time rush is overwhelming so perhaps that's why.Special Features:
- 1ChanceDined on 9/10/2014The food was fantastic and the staff eas extremly gracious. The manager who gretted us actually kne the date I made our dining reservation and he had 2 choice seats at the bar recerved for us per my reservation request. An xcellent Japanese dinning experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice entrance, poor entreesLucky4242Dined on 9/8/2014The space is great but the entrees were over-priced and reminiscent of Romanian food. Very expensive for food that had no Japanese authenticity and was low on quality. Sake is very expensive. Apertisers were decent, desert was good but shame about the mains and value for money
- Hidden gem in mid-townItwasokVIPDined on 9/6/2014Hidden away from hustle and bustle, this place is in the basement. The food is amazing, great variety, deserts are made at the restaurant and artistically presented. Great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who needs wine when you have sake.BatesDined on 9/5/2014There isn't much that needs to be said about this place. The food is nothing short of amazing, the staff is helpful courteous even if our waiter flat out told me I wouldn't like the natto ( he was shocked when he saw me enjoying it immensely) and the sake list is extensive. The setting is gorgeous and that includes the funky designed bathrooms. Prices are modest for a place of such caliber but be warned that getting a reservation isn't the easiest unless you are a night eater, 10 pm and later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, OK ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Sakagura serves amazing Japanese cuisine with an excellent Sake list for a knowledgable palate. The service was not as great. When we arrived, our Open Table reservation was 'lost'. The hostess was apologetic and we got seated 15 minutes later, after demanding to know what happened and seeing bigger tables (we were 3) seated before us. Management stepped in a table was 'miraculously' found. I would go there again for the food, knowing that the service would leave us wanting for better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentPatlqDined on 9/2/2014This was my 4th time having dinner at sakagura. It still surprised me. Very nicely presented dishes. Very elaborated but simple at the same time. Delicious flavours. Great service. Helpful, knowledgable and nice. Also great atmosphere. Would highly recommend this place. Not cheap but also inexpensive if you value good quality food. Immense sake menu too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing spot!Wan2mikDined on 8/30/2014Great restaurant, a little bit hard to find, but really good food, nice ambiance and wide variety of Sake ! We will go back for sure.Special Features:
- Fine dinnerLuvfoodDined on 8/29/2014Tuna tartare was the best of all the 5 dishes we ordered. I would come back for it alone and the sake that was $20.00/ glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GGL0904Dined on 8/28/2014One of my favorite authentic Japanese restaurants. Salmon collar and Gindara are fish-lovers' dream. Topped off a great dinner with black sesame creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great "hole in the wall"ChloesmDined on 8/27/2014Little Japanese restaurant not easily found by walkers by. Fantastic food with a very authentic feel and incredible sake list. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing LunchMikeR500Dined on 8/20/2014I have been to Sakagura many times for dinner and have always found it quite good...the food, service and sake. However, lunch was a huge disappointment. The service was exceptionally slow. It took 45 minutes to get a bowl of Oyakudon (which is insane). Thus, a 1 hour lunch turned into 1 hour and 30 minutes. It was also very noisy and hard to find a waiter. While I might go back for dinner, there are many better, faster and more quiet lunch options for Japanese food in midtown Manhattan.Special Features:
- travelerEnTravelsDined on 8/17/2014Good food and traditional authentic Japanese food. You felt like you were transported to Japan for a couple of hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/15/2014Finding the restaurant was difficult because the sign from the street was very small and upon entering the building, the instructions from the doorman/security officer was not very clear.Special Features:
- Basement Dining EleganceKOWthoughtsDined on 8/14/2014The only thing I didn't like was that they never had two dishes we wanted, but the ones we ordered were AMAZING!!! Fresh, flavorful food... You literally taste all the ingredients working together blissfully in your mouth! And lest I forget everybody "Sake"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!MariaDined on 8/10/2014Amazing dinner.. We had a blast! Food is delicious and they have the best sake list I've ever seen in my life.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every dish was delicious!zootooVIPDined on 8/9/2014Great service, very hopeful with recommending a sake in the huge selection. Food was very tasty, will definitely come back to eat here if we are in town again!Special Features:
- Perfect night outCaitlinDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant was recommended by a website that suggested places to eat within walking distance of Grand Central Station. You'd be unlikely to find it on your own, since it's hidden away in a basement without too much obvious signage pointing the way there. The ambience was lovely, the service was exemplary, and the food was unbelievably good. Between my husband and I, we sampled the tofu salad, shredded beef ribs, udon noodles, dumplings, ice cream, and panna cotta. You even get a complementary, palate-cleansing cup of green tea after the meal. To make things even better, the prices were incredibly reasonable. If I lived in New York, I would be a regular here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sake and Japanese magicsakenewbieDined on 7/30/2014Great place for sake. Don't know anything about sake, but the friendly staff helped out with good suggestions. Sake can be really good if you get what you like. Food is great and comes in portions meant for sharing. The venue is a bit hard to find, located in the basement, but the atmosphere is genuine and Japanese. Great place overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese food oitside TokyossivDined on 7/29/2014Amazing genuine Japanese restaurant. great food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, authentic izakaya!jdromano2Dined on 7/25/2014After living in rural Japan, it has been hard to find places that make authentic Japanese food other than just sushi. Sakagura does a good job replicating the feel of izakayas in japan, with a great selection of dishes using authentic, fresh ingredients. A bit expensive, considering the size of the dishes, but worth the cash for an occasional treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome and Authentic Japanese FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Try the lunch tasting lunch, love the sashimis Excellent and Juicy Salmoon Tuna and Scallop. The dessert is impressive. Price is Ok for this location and food quality. Very authentic Japanese food.Special Features:
- Delicious, but a little noisysucresevillaDined on 7/22/2014Descubrí Sakagura hace más de dos años, en mi primera visitaba NYC, y ya me pareció delicioso en todos los aspectos...desde su acceso, escondido en los bajos de un edificio, hasta su decoración y ambiente... y, por supuesto, la comida y la gran carta de sakes... la única sugerencia que haría es el ruido...la gente habla demasiado alto...por favor, ponfan algún cartel que diga que se hable bajito...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like KyotoreganclemDined on 7/21/2014As someone who has traveled to Japan, it's nice to know there's a place in NYC that can bring me back there on occassion. The service is what you would expect from a typical Japanese place, I just wish they were a little quicker during the lunch rush. The food was delicious, especially the hot soba and sake don. The pickles they serve with it are good, but it'd be nice if they had a little more variety. Everything considered, I will definitely be back for another lunch soon.Special Features:
- Helpful WaiterMikeADined on 7/18/2014Waiter was very helpful selecting saki. Many small plates. Wonderful taste!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014Very courteous reception... and accommodating. Thanks to the hostessesSpecial Features:
- delicious food terrible service.Bacchus5Dined on 7/3/2014Lovely food, especially tuna, eel, cod, and eggplant. The squid was chewy. The potato donut which was bland even with salt. The saki selection is wonderful. This was my first time and the service was awful. My water glass was empty for 30 min. We ordered saki 3 times before it came. It was too warm and I felt overheated. I will try again but if serviceis bad again I will not return or recommend. It was an uneven experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sublime!WeekendersDined on 6/30/2014Best soba, best dessert, one of the best Japanese restaurants we have ever dined in, and we are fussy diners.Special Features:
- Delicious quiet lunchGr8FoodDined on 6/27/2014Although the whole restaurant was packed, my friends and I enjoyed a quiet meal with very attentive waiters. The food was divine and the bathroom was super techie and interesting. Thank you for a one a kind experience.Special Features:
- Table space is not enoughlovebigblockVIPDined on 6/25/2014We sit on the bench style table. But there was a panel over the head at the end of the table. My guest can not sit at the end of the table. Space is not enough for us.
- The following 154 reviews are from the Sakagura reviews archive.
- 5 Stars for the food!!LovefoodVIPDined on 6/21/2014This is a gem in NYC!! It is traditional Japanese. Not a sushi restaurant, only hot and cold dishes that are beautifully prepared and with deliscious flavors. It is down below a building with a not so pleasant stairwell, but don't be fooled. The decor is traditional and casual and the service is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and differentBrunchLover123VIPDined on 6/17/2014A unique restaurant in an odd location (basement of an office building). Cool Japanese decor and tasty small pastes, some of them unusual.Special Features:
- Loved It!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/16/2014A variety of very good food for a person who prefers to try new and different things. Fantastic sake bar!! Loved the experience and hope I visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- timelessOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/11/2014...there's a reason this basement sake bar is always full! given the food and the atmosphere, you could be in tokyoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentReikiHelpsVIPDined on 6/8/2014We've been there several times. The food was excellent the first time and just as excellent the last time we went. Just make a reservation - go there - and enjoy the food.Special Features:
- great selection of sakeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Great selection of sake from all regions of Japan and staff that are helpful to make the right choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.