178 Townsend St.
San Francisco, CA 94110Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saisonsf.com/
- Phone: 4158287990x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Only: Tuesday-Saturday 6pm-9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Skenes
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact the restaurant for Private Dining/Party Information.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Ellis 4158287990x
A word from Saison
Sourcing each item from the surrounding land, Saison highlights the abundant resources of the San Francisco Bay Area. Each morning a new menu is crafted based on the finest offerings from our network of small farms, ranches, and fisheries.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Saison - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Saison reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (58)fit for foodies (53)notable wine list (36)romantic (31)hot spot (13)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- great spot, 3* materialOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/11/2014Very nice dining. Probably the second best dinner I've had in North America (closely behind Alinia) but better than Meadowwood, or any of the 3*s I've tried in NYC. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingrob4wVIPDined on 8/30/2014one of the best restaurants in the country. it is very expensive but worth every cent. The menu is innovative and works.Special Features:
- Freakin awesomeYummersDined on 8/22/2014Wow! Wow! Wow! This meal was extraordinary. I'll admit, I was intimidated when they said the prix fixe tasting menu did not have a set price as the chef was making it up as he went along. But this meal was exquisite, delicate, refined and worth every penny - more pennies than even the French Laundry BTW. The sommelier did a lovely job pairing beautiful wines for us while respecting that we wanted to sip on a budget, and the bartender did a lovely job reinventing classic cocktails like his lovely white negroni. And having the chefs bring out their dishes personally made it both classy and unstuffy somehow. Loved watch them make their magic in the open kitchen and if you're lucky, you might get a tour. If I were doling out Michelin stars - 3!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Fancy - Too ExpensiveRacosiDined on 8/21/2014If you are really into the chef - mini bites thing, this is your place but if you are looking to eat well, you won't like it especially when you get the check! There are 25 mini-bites courses, they take way too long between each of them and some of them are really NOT good. Me and my wife paid over $700 and had only 3 drinks (she had water).
- Remarkable experience!zwimmerfoodieDined on 8/13/2014We had an amazing experience at Saison. I had read the reviews, including many interviews with Joshua Skenes. Because SF is such a fantastic restaurant town, I never saw a need to spend huge dollars for a meal. Nonetheless, it was my 35th wedding anniversary, so my wife and I decided to splurge. Wow! The 15 course tasting meal was fantastic, didn't leave us feeling too full and the service was impeccable. The wine pairings were also fantastic. I particularly like that the restaurant is set up to provide an elegant, yet relaxed, experience. The restaurant puts all diners adjacent to the completely calm kitchen and you interact with the folks who cook your meal. It really makes you appreciate it that much more. Awesome!Special Features:
- Always PhenomenalOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/8/2014The food is always inventive and astounding; Mark, Patrick and their team provide flawless service and Saison always exceeds expectations. Part of what makes this one of my favourite spots though is the background music which recalls the days of my youth. Thank you!!Special Features:
- chelseaDined on 8/7/2014Had the tasting menu. It was an odyssey of highs and lows. I think it is fortunate to have a 2nd rosette.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in San FranciscoWorldtravelorplusDined on 8/6/2014World Class and among the best restaurants in the world. Food is innovative, service is impeccable and everything down to the cutlery and wine glasses is first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sorry my english is terribleedumonDined on 8/2/2014Al very very good. The food magnific. Maitines very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Amazing dishesAFinSFDined on 8/1/2014We celebrated our 15th anniversary at Saison and literally had the best seat in the house. We sat right in front of the kitchen and enjoyed watching the chefs work their magic. The bartendar made me the most amazing cocktail - Tequila Daisy - and my husband enjoyed the wine pairing. My favorite dish was the Trout and I am still thinking about it! So amazing - the texture was just as good as the taste. Our waiter was a character and the same one we had last year. Made the evening that much better. Thanks for another great experience!Special Features:
- A "hot" mealSanRamonDadDined on 7/25/2014The food was incredible!! I would describe it as fusion that was heavily leaning toward seafood and poultry a light on red meat, which I like. The wine was free flowing and served by a person very schooled in winemaking and viticulture. The dining room and kitchen have no separation - so we were entertained with watching everything going into our meal preparation. I knew going into it that the bill would be pricey, and it was. But I was disappointed in that it was way too hot in the dining room. Perhaps this was due to the open kitchen that allowed the oven heat to flow into the dining area. But for the price we paid I would think that the restaurant should work some solution out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simplicity with complex flavorsBeersnobDined on 7/16/2014Saison is located in a brick building that exudes charm. The restaurant has an open kitchen that is marvelous to observe and it does not create any "clatter" or extra noise (not sure how they do it?). The tasting menu has 13 courses, two of which are beverages. The entire meal is orchestrated with impecable service, each course is described in complete detail. There are no "mystery" ingredients. The focus is seafood and feels very Japanese, four courses are eaten with chopsticks. The food is textured with multiple flavors and the botanicals used are interesting. After finishing 13 courses, you are sated, but not full. Save up, and go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodStephDined on 7/11/2014Incredible food and service, such passion and enthusiasm for local sourcing and their own produce farmingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just not worth the $$$$QuintinVIPDined on 7/10/2014I don't really have anything negative to say than compared to other tasting menus that I have done, this one is just overpriced. The food was very good but not epic. The service was great despite the arrogance in the air for the place. The wine pairings were epic and done exceptionally well. We went to Coi the previous night and it was u anamious that we enjoyed it better and it was less expensive.Special Features:
- Innovation & executionluv2dineVIPDined on 7/9/2014Dining here was a breath of fresh air. Truly ahead of the time regarding our culinary scene. The discovery menu takes one on the ride of their life! A refinement of earty & rustic comes full circle. Chef & staff all work cohesively to bring anyone thee best experience possible. Still in awe. BRAVO! MAGNIFICO!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is very good, but not great.poraDined on 7/5/2014Food wise, almost all savory appetizers and mains were good/very good. The quality of food is consistent. However non of them were great enough for me to plan for a second visit. The desserts are ok but it was expected. The open kitchen was great. Overall, it is much better experience than what I had in Restaurant of Meadowood. However, if I am going to have another dinner in one of the fancy restaurants again, I'd prefer Manresa.
- Great experienceAlwaysHungryDined on 7/3/2014Nothing negative to say about the food, the experience or the restaurant. Great dining room with great view of the open kitchen, very well planned space. The food is creative and delicious. The staff is extremely knowledgeable about the food and wine, and are very attentive and friendly. Very high standards and quality restaurant, however the pricing is high even when compared to other top Michelin star restaurants in the world.Special Features:
- Save Up To Enjoy This ExperiencezingloversVIPDined on 6/28/2014This restaurant dining experience was like no other. It was one of our top three dining experiences in the world (along with French Laundry and Joel Robuchon). We had the 21 course tasting menu along with the wine paring option. We felt it was worth it to get the 21 course menu, which provided us with delightful "wow" complete sensory experiences throughout the evening. We felt welcomed and cared for from the moment we stepped into the restaurant to the moment we left. Titillate your senses, it's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PedroDined on 6/26/2014We past the most outstanding night. The service that we receive from all personnel was really a night that never we will forget. For us they are the best 3 Michelin Star restaurant in USA. Best off the Best. To the Chef and its staff you are a great team all my respect to SAISON.Special Features:
- Perfect but for a few thingsOscarDined on 6/25/2014The food was innovative, and spectacularly designed and presented, but lacked the anticipated variety: it was almost exclusively seafood, with only one meat dish and very few (although interesting and tasty) vegetables. The last bits of some exceptional items -- for instance, the abalone liver paste -- remained uneaten because there was no bread to wipe them up. Besides exceptional wines, one dish's 'wine' pairing was sake (unwarmed), another, beer. Even though beer is not meant to be sipped, just one good swallow was presented in a wineglass. At $48, the optonal cheese course's miniature portions of five selections seem overpriced. Otherwise seamless service didn't properly accommodate the non-drinker in the party. Once is enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- datenightDined on 6/21/2014The food was amazing, the wine pairing was a bit underwhelming compared to other restaurants of this quality and lagged a bit in service, resulting in us playing catch up to keep the pairings with the course.Special Features:
- Great entertainmentfwfoodVIPDined on 6/20/2014We had a great evening. Watching the kitchen in action is entertaining and the service is smooth and welcoming. Were all of the courses sensational? No, but a few were outstanding, a few were interesting and a few not memorable. If you can afford to pay the bill, it is a fun evening.Special Features:
- A Michelin 3 star restaurant!GoodfoodStVIPDined on 6/18/2014We ordered the 19 course meal with wine pairing. We started with a tea course and just before desert another tea course this is just an example of the symmetry in the meal. This is a chief focused on taste not show. The smoked salmon course brought lox to a whole new level of smokey delight. In the "crispy" salad each ingredient was fried to perfection all were light and tasty. Most of the courses had a depth of favor and added accents. We eat at at Saison three months ago and they corrected all the minor issues in my last review: service was perfect, the abalone was cooked correctly not rubbery, the meat course was brought up the the level of tasty to match the other course. Now the only issue is value? Wine pairing was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding innovative foodrob4wVIPDined on 6/14/2014The food here is innovative and some of the best I ever had. Although expensive this restaurant is worth it. There Is a very expensive and extremely expensive choice of fixed menus. But having eaten in some of the best restaurants in the world this is among the best and the best in San Francisco. I recommend it highly.Special Features:
- Not worth it!OaktownVIPDined on 6/5/2014Food was good with 3 exceptionally good dishes out of 13. Dessert was extremely disappointing! Panna cotta for main dessert?!! The best part of the meal was the inhouse butter. If Saison is charging premier prices, it should step up and produce world class dishes! The dessert chefs ruined the meal. With the price of the meal, we could have flown to Barcelona for real world class meal!Special Features:
- Very expensive, but worth it.KavliBakkenDined on 6/5/2014I went there with my wife to celebrate our one-year engagement. We first decided to go for the normal tasting-menu with vine-pairing. After the first course we changed to the “exploring”-menu with all the courses. We have had some experience with Michelin-star-restaurants, and although this is the most expensive I think it also had the best food I have ever tasted! All the 15-20 courses was an experience in itself, and the wine-pairing was perfect. I would highly recommend this place, for a special occasion! We also loved the "open Kitchen"-solution.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special experienceFoodiefrienduloesDined on 6/3/2014We loved every moment of our evening at Saison- we got the best seat in the house, right in front of the kitchen, the staff was so attentive and warm, the dishes were adventures in a bite. We were never bored. We will always remember this very special evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalChrisVIPDined on 5/29/2014Extravagant, luxurious and delicious, yet relaxed and without pretense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh approach to fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/27/2014Michelin described the ambience of Saison well, as being like someone's impossibly cool brick warehouse. Tables surrounding the kitchen make diners feel welcome without feeling imposing by keeping diners in the dim light around the periphery. The staff is attentive but never pretentious, and the preparations are consistently fresh, literally and figuratively (duck liver with beer, breadfruit, and chocolate - yes). The cocktail menu is innovative - who knew that bourbon, grilled popcorn, and salted caramel would work so well together? - and the teas and soda that serve as palate preparers and cleansers are soothing and memorable in their own right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gracious DiningKellVIPDined on 5/24/2014We loved our evening here. We were pampered and treated so well. The food though good was just not as special as we had anticipated by such rave reviews. I think it may have been an off night.Special Features:
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014The 15 courses were fun and experimental... in theory. However only two or three dishes actually worked. Too much focus on being clever and not enough on flavour and balance as all the dishes were over complicated and very over powering. There were even two dishes which we spit back out, which is a first for me. Enjoyed the totally open kitchen and the service was excellent. However at $800 for 2, with one of the cheapest bottles of wine I was expecting more, so quite disappointed. Maybe it was just an off day.Special Features:
- BrilliantTigerDined on 5/22/2014Wonderful experience - not to be missed! A night to rememberSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 402 reviews are from the Saison reviews archive.
- Memorable mealLTT88VIPDined on 5/13/2014The food was fresh, vibrant and colorful. We tried the longer menu and was very satisfied at the end of the meal. The open kitchen added to the experience. The music in the background was 70's and 80's and it was very different from the stuffy music from other restaurants. I can wait to see the new bar that is coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One less item for my bucket listAbanndunDined on 5/10/2014While I won't be talking about the food as that is always changing, I can say this: 6 months ago my wife and I had our first child and I wanted to celebrate my new wife's status as a mother with a bang. Hence, instead of doing the normal jewelry item, I went for an experience that she wouldn't forget. We chose the extended menu and chose some drinks. You might be asking, is this experience so good that it would trump an expensive gift that she got to keep? To answer that I can tell you that the next day I took my wife to Burberry and she saw a purse for the same price as our dinner... she told me that even tho she absolutely loved the purse, nothing would ever match to the experience we had at Saison.Special Features:
- unrealdavidjDined on 5/9/20145 stars all the way. We had the more extensive tasting, I forget what it was titled, but everything was perfect. I lost count of the courses and each one was as good as the next. Service is unique- a different chef presents each course. You won't be disappointed. Since no one can get to the French Laundry every weekend it's great to have this here right in SF.Special Features:
- The subtle is too subtlegr8guestDined on 5/9/2014An over-the-top experience for foodies. The dining area includes the kitchen, note the stacked copper pots, the stainless steel doors, yet the tables /dinnerware are stunning and naturally beautiful. The ingredients are rare, some flown in from Japan, some found in your nearby meadow. And all the elite from the seafood world. The plates are bite-size (depending on which menu you choose). The labor that goes into each is certainly respectable. Every dish is refined and good. Three things I felt missed. One, the wine pairings didn't make the food pop, probably due to the one-bite portions. Secondly, there wasn't one thing that really stood out. And it had no Michelin star characteristic. But, then again, it was only $900 a pop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dining Experience by FarJoslynDined on 5/9/2014My boyfriend and I each got the tasting menu, leaving the discovery menu for our next time, and I got the wine pairing while he ordered exceptional cocktails throughout the night. The service was impeccable. The sommelier and server (Mathew) were very friendly. The dishes were seafood based - light and savory. I can't think of a compliment highly adequate enough. In total, there were about 18 courses, three of them dessert. As a bonus, we got a gift of earl grey brioche to take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saison SublimeRudyVIPDined on 5/8/2014Saison provided us with the most amazing meal we have ever had. Each bite was out of this world. So much so we went back the next night, a rare opportunity only made possible by a delightfully attentive team. Having dined at other great restaurants like Eleven Madison and Jean Georges, I can truly say Saison is a cut above others in its class in terms of the overall enjoyment and personalization of the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in the cityyg83Dined on 5/8/2014It may be very expensive, but it's an experience you will cherish the lifetime. Did "exploration" or something like that menu with 20 or more courses and wine pairing... it's an out of this world experienceSpecial Features:
- Theater for the palate!MichaelVIPDined on 5/6/2014Saison is an extraordinary experience – theater for the palate! Consider this my standing ovation. To truly appreciate what this team has done you must go. Reading about their creations and courses only spoils the experience, and frankly doesn’t begin to capture the soul of a live performance. I would highly recommend the “orchestra” seating around the kitchen. From that vantage point you can witness both the artistry and precision as your anticipation builds for each course. None will disappoint and many are simply unparalleled.Special Features: