23 W. Marshall Street
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saisonrva.com/
- Phone: 8042693689x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Happy Hour 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Bar service open until 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Adam Hall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch
A word from Saison
Saison is a casual gastro-pub focusing on Southern, Central American, and Caribbean flavors and is located in the heart of the Downtown Arts District in Historic Jackson Ward. We source locally to create amazing seasonal farm-to-table fare, have an extensive modern cocktail list, and lots of tasty wine, beer, and ciders. We always leave space available for call-ins and walk-ins.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Saison - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Saison reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 17, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (36)neighborhood gem (31)vibrant bar scene (15)late-night find (12)romantic (11)special occasion (9)notable wine list (8)hot spot (7)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- New find in RichmondOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014We searched for different and was very pleased with our findings The menu was entirely interesting but with thorough explanation and recommendations all in all it was great. Sure to return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Definitely Be BackmrspohoDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our date night at Saison! The service was excellent. Though the restaurant itself is rather small, there's still plenty of space to get around. The menus are neat, placed inside a book, and there were lots of choices. The drink list was excellent, there's something for everyone on it, whether you like mixed drinks, beer or wine. My husband ordered some IPAs, and I ordered the mixed drink called Made in the Shade, which was amazing and HUGE. We started off with the fried corn kernels, and I had the kimchi while my husband had the burger, both were delicious. Dessert was incredible and was big enough for the 2 of us to split. Be sure to try to Smoked Sugar S'more!Special Features:
- We're out of thatOutinrvaDined on 8/15/2014After two failed beer ordering attempts bc they were out of both at 7 on a Friday. My meal started off less than great. Food was great but a little pricey for the portion size. Tables are very close together so I had to move my chair a couple of times to let someone to get to their table bc my chair and their table practically touched. Everyone liked their meals. Probably would go back and just sit at the bar for more room.I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Saison provides a unique experience with the ambience, recycled books as the menu and diverse food options. This is a great place for those looking for a different experience.Special Features:
- Mixed . . .mamabenDined on 8/5/2014Dinner celebration for 23 yr old son -- he and Dad LOVED it; Mom(me) . . . Not so much. Too many flavors in each dish -- sometimes, simpler is better. VERY loud (yes, it is a bar -- we are "old"). Service was OK --Special Features:
- Perfect but scatter-shot servicepatthecookDined on 7/31/2014Friendly, wonderful, informed service from our smart server and engaging bartender. The kitchen was very slow and as a result we missed our concert. The food-- complex --pollo a la brasa with a powerwful, yet subtle smokey broth and potataoes, Pork tenderloin. We were not bereft because this was wonderful food, complex, with great flavor. Informed wait staff (can we find another term for these smart, decicated food/drink experts?). The staff shone here. Food fabulous too but with too much time to get a meal. We would stil go back and just have a leisurely time. Not everyone would agree.Special Features:
- on the way to theaterChrisDined on 7/25/2014Great restaurant. Food stellar. Initial impression at door not great but food and service really brings it around. Parking not obvious but convenient to November Theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Experiencelut121Dined on 7/20/2014Had the Rundown which was bursting with an unique combination of flavors. Wish the portions were larger and that they use a bread besides the flatbread that accompanied the meal. Decided to try the Sunday night special: 2 quarters of fried chicken (dark or white meat), collard greens and cornbread. Reminded me of grandmothers down south cooking. Oh and it was only $8.00. Beer selection was notable. Will definitely try a cocktail and dessert next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday evening at SaisonfoodforthesoulDined on 7/11/2014This was our first time at Saison. The music , menus, decor and the food provided a unique experience. Our server was pleasant efficient, and gave just the right amount of attention. We were intrigued by the 2 Bartenders and the mixed drinks. I had the "Rundown" ( shrimp, scallops and octopus). I had to push the octopus aside but the coconut flavored dish was terrific. Only wish I had crusty bread to sop the broth rather than flat bread. My husband had a generous portion of chicken and ate everything on his plate. The rasberry sorbet with short bread, cherries and cream was delicious. Saison did not disappoint. Look forward to returning. Might even try a cocktail next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey drinks, but worth it...12FoodieDined on 7/8/2014Great food, great service. Drinks were small and expensive, but I've never had a finer gin 'n tonic, so there you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LikegoodfoodDined on 6/28/2014A friend had told me how good Saison was and she was right! Our meals varied from lamb chops to catfish to the sea bass special, but all had a great combination of flavors. Desserts combined unusual pairings which were delicious. Our waitstaff gave us just the right amount of attention and also had good recommendations about which wine would go best with each dish. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Delicious Food - Tiny Portion SizeFeedbackVIPDined on 6/27/2014I went to dinner with two of my friends on a Friday. The restaurant was very cute and I lover the menus being old library books. We all ordered the scallops. Our plates arrived with five scallops, 3 baby carrots, 6 peas and a small portion of pea purée. This was more the size of an appetizer than an entree. The peas and carrots were more a garnish than actual sides. We were all very disappointed that we paid $21 for our entrees. The scallops were delicious but none of us will return. I can go to many more restaurants and pay the same price for a full meal. We ended up going for drinks at another restaurant and eating so we would actually be full.
- HappypopHappypopDined on 6/21/2014Wonderful little neighborhood restaurant, excellent food and we had great service. Make a rerservation and do not miss it.Special Features:
- DougDined on 6/19/2014Great bar. Food was good. Kitchen was slow. Small restaurant. Crowded. Server was new--nice, but still learning.Special Features:
- Slooooooowwwww FoodcatsmeowDined on 6/16/2014This was my second visit to Saison and, again, the food was excellent (especially dessert!), the beer, cocktail selection is stellar, the waiter very competent. However, it was somewhat marred by the waits for the dinner and dessert. Appetizers came out fast (great pork belly w/ grits and chorizo pate!). After that, things stalled. Since we were only one of two tables in the restaurant, it seemed an awfully long wait (40+ minutes) for entrees. The bar was full, the US won their first round in the World Cup, all was good. It really was the almost 25 minute wait for dessert that didn't make any sense. Now, the dessert is decidedly worth it. However, when you are the last table, it is hard to fathom.Special Features:
- DelightfulEnjoyinVIPDined on 6/15/2014Our first dining expereince at Saison, and it will not be our last. Cocktails were mixed perfectly. The pimento cheese appetizer (it's a Richmond thing) was light and flavorful. We both had the whole Bronzino, which was delicious. For desert, carrot cake - not heavy, and served with a pepper ice cream. The staff was friendly and attentive. It could not have been a better experience.Special Features:
- Low key, High qualityRicpogaDined on 6/13/2014This is a fun place with unique food offerings at a reasonable price. We've dined everywhere in the Fan, and Saison is the most consistently excellent. Great service, amazing cocktails and beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indescribably awesomePrestonRVADined on 5/31/2014One of the top five meals of my life. I'm a culinary professional, and cannot begin to comprehend how the chef orchestrated such symphonically well composed dishes. The oxtail sopes were utter perfection, a glorious harmony of flavors comprising the perfect bite of food. The term "amuse bouche" was made for these things. The chicken was the single greatest piece of poultry I have ever consumed. The pork belly small plate was transcendental. My only complaint was of the accompanying salad, which was, for lack of better word, acrid, but did little to detract from the primacy of the rest of the dining experience. And all in an atmosphere I could live in, fall in love with, and fall in love in. I will be back when I can afford it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More people should know Saisonindividual11Dined on 5/24/2014Consistently great and unique food. Amazing cocktail and wine list. Everything is about the details from the menus being placed in old books to the tiny mint leaves in the arugula salad. More people should know about this place, it's too good not to be always packed.Special Features:
- Pea shoots and Pepper ice creamBesokissDined on 5/23/2014Saison: a great neighborhood find! Unusual food combos (the like black pepper ice cream) delight and surprise! The pea shoot salad was refreshingly sprinkled with mint! Curried carrots on my carrot cake! Scallops were seared perfectly and presented beautifully. Noise level is very energized but the tables are small so you can lean in to converse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 37 reviews are from the Saison reviews archive.
- A delight!Eldorado5Dined on 5/17/2014We were 4 on a Saturday night. Glad we made reservations. Be sure to have a cocktail - and try not to just order the "usual." Theyve got some amazing libations that tastle like nothing else. We got the octopus and honey toes for starters, the Bimbimbap, crispy sea bass (split between 2 people), and flank steak. Everything was delicious. Lots of fresh ingredient and unexpected but delightful flavor juxtapositions. I am not a dessert person but I absolutely loved the carrot cake and the chocolate ganache with strawberry habanera. Make sure to save room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great from Cocktails to DessertscatsmeowDined on 5/17/2014On a busy and somewhat noisy Saturday night, our party of four enjoyed everything from the moment we arrived. The waiter was amiable, well informed and attentive. The cocktails were all great (we do like an ice cube designed for the glass!). Sugar toads fried to perfection started the meal, then each of us enjoyed our entrees. My catfish and rice cakes (no, not that dry kind) was very good. Then dessert! My main complaint with even some of the best restaurants in town is the dessert is always a bit of a let down. Not here! We had shared two delicious ones, my favorite was a carrot cake with a cream cheese and pepper ice cream. Often, these kinds of things do not work (cream cheese and pepper?), but this was the exception!Special Features:
- Mother's Day DinnerCammieODined on 5/11/2014My family of four (including two teen girls) celebrated Mother's Day dinner at Saison. Had never been before and wanted to try something new. The entire experience was fantastic! Our waitress was extremely gracious and helpful in explaining the various drinks and dishes on the menu. Her suggestions were right on! My youngest daughter just about licked the bowl that held the pork belly appetizer. The best burger I have ever had; the waitress suggested goat cheese instead of the usual cheddar; it was amazing! The drink list included a variety of unusual ingredients, which our waitress described as we contemplated our options. Even the restroom was unique w chalkboard walls that were fun to read and enabled us to share our thoughts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in RichmondOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/9/2014I love this place. I live in Philadelphia and have been there twice now when visiting my daughter in Richmond. They have some unusual dishes which are always perfect. The staff couldn't be friendlier or more accommodating. The restaurant has this great cozy neighborhood feel with a fairly sophisticated menu. Oh, and at the cocktail offerings are fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Showing off an RVA gem!SleeperGirl77Dined on 5/6/2014We love to entertain at home but when company comes to visit, we hit asany restaurants as possible while they are here! Saison was the perfect choice for our guest and the menu is primarily gluten-free so her palate and her tummy were both satisfied! Great gor a date night, great for entertaining friends visiting, great food, great beer selection, great cocktails!! We will be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaisonDSB59Dined on 5/5/2014Excellent, excellent restaurant....2 appetizers and 4 different entrees in the group and all were tremendous!!!! Presentation and quality was superb!! NO COMPLAINTS in all aspects of this dining experience!! (Just wish I didn't have to run to catch a plane before desert came as the remaining ones in the party raved about it!!)Special Features:
- Excellent service, fantastic foodKittyTDined on 4/25/2014Had reservation on a Friday evening & added 1 more at the last minute; were very accommodating even though the space is tight. Service was a delight - knowledgeable about all dishes, efficient but not hovering, provided excellent wine pairing recommendations. Shared several appetizers: pork belly, pimento croquette, Oxtail Sopes (WOW!!!), grilled octopus - all very good. Mains: special tilefish which didn't need the cornbread crumbs with it but otherwise great, lambchops - phenomenal but one person thought the sweet potatoes were unnecessary but the other perfectly in season vegetables with it were ON POINT. Drinks: Mezcal Mule & When KY Burns - cannot WAIT to try to make these at home. Ambiance is great. Can't wait to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and amazing drinksKosherTacoHouseDined on 4/20/2014The food is authentic Mexican flavors meets southern American comfort food, and it's always delightful and delicious. The beer list is carefully curated to offer up unique and tasty brews you won't find many other places. Always a good variety of styles and breweries. The cocktail list is incredible, with a strong emphasis on mezcal and rum cocktails, but definitely with something for everyone.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/19/2014Great food, drinks & ambiance in a small but welcoming space. Our waitress was a bit slow & forgetful but other servers assisted, as well as the owner came over to make sure we were satisfied. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!SporadicDinerDined on 4/17/2014Everything about the restaurant was great! The ambiance, the décor, even the menu's - everything was very stylish, creative and full of character. All of the menu items sounded like they were straight out of one of those "Top Chef" shows. My only disappointment was that I didn't realize that the menu changed, and we were relying on a menu that we had seen 6 months sooner, on a date that fell through. We had our hearts set on braised short rib and crème brulee, but the hanger steak and 5 spice chicken was very good.Special Features:
- Bad second visitRichmondcustomer1Dined on 4/15/2014Our first visit was nearly perfect. This time, a Tuesday night, was different. We had a 6:30 reservation. We were told we would have to wait until the occupants of our table, who weren't eating, finished their drinks. Should people with a dinner reservation have to wait behind people who aren't eating? So we had to order at the bar, and got a table about 45 minutes later. Scallop entrée worked out to $7 a scallop. Overall, I would describe Saison as loud, boisterous "bistro" with excellent food . . . and some kinks to work out.Special Features:
- Enjoy Saison in Any SeasoncharlestondiningfanVIPDined on 4/13/2014This was our first visit to Saison, but it won't be our last...great vibe and incredible food and wine menus...very creative! We ordered several things off the menu, as well as the tasty fried chicken special. Highly-recommended!Special Features:
- Special OutingIndiaHeartDined on 4/12/2014This was one of the best (definitely top of the list) restaurants we've visited in the City. We've been making it a habit to seek out and enjoy the finest dining in Richmond, and I highly recommend Saison. The creativity is truly amazing, and you'd be very pleasantly surprised by what the chef and owner can do with "beets" and "chicken" - I know I was. Go there, and enjoy a cocktail, Beets by Jay - my fav!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Son's Birthday DinnerJennDined on 4/8/2014Quaint, fun atmosphere. All four of us in our party ordered different entrees, and had a nibble off eachother's plates. The lamb chops were fork tender! Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs more vegetarian optionsbankerchicVIPDined on 4/4/2014Amazingly creative menu, but very meat focused. As a vegetarian, disappointed to see only one meatless entree. Fantastic cocktails. Very small spot, be prepared to wait for a table. Very cute decor, loved use of vintage mags for menu books.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very creative and interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/30/2014Very creative and interesting items on the menu. The nasturtium-strawberry salad was a refreshing start. I enjoyed the seafood pozole (soup) which was loaded with clams, mussels and shrimp plus puffy hominy in a rich broth. Would have loved to have some bread to soak up the broth, though. Hubby enjoyed a quail starter with mole sauce and then catfish with mole sauce. They also have a unique list of craft beers, creative cocktails and wines. I enjoyed an unusual dry cider from the Basque region of Spain. The desserts are also creative & wonderful. Enjoyed the dense, dark banana cake with gingerbread ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't come hungrySimplelifeDined on 3/28/2014Heard great things about saison. I will say that food had good flavor, but was lacking in the portion size. The "large plate" was lacking. Another downfall to the dining experience was the noise level of bar patrons. I know this cannot be controlled but it does take away from the atmosphere. If you are just looking for literally a bite to eat then this is a the place. Cocktails were good as well but also overpriced, for small "gastro" macro drinks. I do admire that they support local farms. Not bashing the place, just being honest.Special Features:
- Great food with some interestingshbmobjackDined on 3/22/2014Great food with some interesting options on the cocktail front.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantAlexanderDined on 3/22/2014From start to finish a high quality restaurant experience. We had to change our reservation at last minute and that was accomplished politely and promptly. We were seated right away, waited on attentively, and served professionally at every stage. The shrimp remoulade appetizer, turnip salad, and entrees were excellent. Banana bread dessert may be the best dessert I have ever had. I would definitely return to this restaurant and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Very good food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014Very good food and service. Very noisy for most of the meal.Special Features: