23 W. Marshall Street
Richmond, VA 23220Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saisonrva.com/
- Phone: (804) 269-3689
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Happy Hour 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Bar service open until 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Adam Hall
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Weekend Brunch
A word from Saison
Saison is a casual gastro-pub focusing on Southern, Central American, and Caribbean flavors and is located in the heart of the Downtown Arts District in Historic Jackson Ward. We source locally to create amazing seasonal farm-to-table fare, have an extensive modern cocktail list, and lots of tasty wine, beer, and ciders. We always leave space available for call-ins and walk-ins.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Saison - Best Restaurants in Richmond ›
Saison reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (34)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (11)romantic (10)special occasion (9)late-night find (7)good for groups (4)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- what dining in Richmond should beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/21/2014Forget the over hyped Max's a block away and head here instead. The menu is smaller but better. The staff is friendlier and the food more adventurous without being pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Restaurant with "Now" Vibe!RVAFineFoodsVIPDined on 11/18/2014Four of us dined at Saison on a cold Tuesday evening! The space is warm, lively, tables packed into the small space. We loved the special cocktails we tried, each with a large rectangular block of ice, very smart look and really keeps the drink cold! Our entrees were nicely presented and well prepared, Overall this was a most enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top chef styleNickVIPDined on 11/15/2014Interesting ingredients both in the food and cocktails. Some of them worked better than others. We really enjoyed ourselves but one of the drinks (mint julep) and one of the deserts (chocolate/peanut butter with chili) had overwhelming flavors that turned me off. But that's the price you pay for trying new things. The burger, scallops and pimento biscuits were all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get there early and scout parking lotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2014My wife and I showed up at 7:15 on a random Wednesday night after struggling to find their shared parking lot with Max's due to the Lilliputian sandwich board sign they have to direct you. We had been looking forward to this for a while, especially the pimento biscuits. The server was cordial at times and curt most of the time. She explained that they were out of the biscuits and three other items on the menu. 7:15 random Wednesday night...with available seating... Drinks were fantastic and the dessert was mind-blowing. My entrée was great (hanger steak), the wife's was just okaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loud7daydinerVIPDined on 11/11/2014The food this time was okay but the music was so loud we couldn't hear each other when talking. l brought a friend from Kentucky and one from Raleigh they seemed to like it despite the loud music. Come on guys, you are better than that! I'd like to relax when I eatSpecial Features:
- First Time DinerWineLoverDined on 11/8/2014Upon entering the very small, very lively restaurant I was luckily able to grab a bar seat, given the limited number, and was greeted warmly by one of two staff behind the bar and promptly given the vintage encyclopedia- turned menu book. From my first cocktail to the perfectly portioned small plates to my main entree I was continuously pleased with each cocktail and plate placed in front of me. The staff is lively and welcoming and all-around amiable. I will definitely return soon.Special Features:
- Too small for comfortrestaurantmavenVIPDined on 11/8/2014My group of three had an early reservation. Our table was smack up against the outside door. Between the traffic and the cold, we asked to move. Despite there being two other tables open, they said no. We moved to the bar (uncomfortable and impossible to talk) and watched as one of the tables sat open until just after we paid our bill and were getting up to leave. The staff said it was too small a space to move parties between tables because it wouldn't then be able to be ready for reservations. I believe them and admire that. That being said, if the space is too small for comfortable dining, then it is not worth the risk of not getting a good seating.Special Features:
- Food with FlairMacLDined on 11/1/2014The chef creates some unusual and interesting dishes...and VERY TASTY!Special Features:
- Small plates, big pricesSailordocDined on 10/31/2014My wife and I wanted a nice quiet, kid-free evening (we have 2 teenagers) which we don't often get. We had an oyster appetizer which was pretty bland and then salads which were tiny and the butter lettuce salad actually had no lettuce in it. My seafood bowl which the waitress bragged had a very generous portion of seafood, was about the size of a kid's cereal bowl. All this for $100. We paid up and then went elsewhere for dinner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Creative food & delicious, but difficult to carry on a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for RVAAlroDined on 10/16/2014The Mrs. and I are trying to hit all of the hot restaurants in Richmond. Saison is a must for this list. The food was fantastic and the drinks were spot on. The service was a bit slow and unbalanced but the atmosphere was so perfect RVA chill that it didn't really matter. You are in for a treat when you visit Saison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- waste of timefoodloverDined on 10/12/2014Saison is very small and VERY noisy with only a bartender and 1 waiter. we had reservations but they did not seam to know about waited over 45min for the waiter to come to our table the menu was small and when we asked for some clarifications got "everything is good" we found most of the food very over spiced ( as in a numbing sensation) we had to ask for ice the mixed drinks were undrinkable so we ordered a bottle of wine which was equally bad. On a positive note the scallops were cooked perfectly. Taking this restaurant off out list.
- Delicious and delightfulRebakDined on 10/7/2014We had a delicious meal. The food was wonderfully prepared and the service was wonderful. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- CkckDined on 10/3/2014Quiet atmosphere on a Friday evening. Staff was very attentive and professional. Fall menu had some great selections for the season as well. Made it for happy hour so we got great prices on our cocktails that were also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BiscuitsJamesVIPDined on 10/3/2014The biscuits are so good, just give me those for dinner and I'll be oh so happy. I liked the rest of the food too, but the biscuits, oh my !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!AndreaZ63VIPDined on 10/3/2014My husband and I were attending an event at Gallery 5, and I found this place in my search of nearby restaurants. It had gotten good reviews so we decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed! The service was wonderful and the food was very good. We will definitely be giving this place another try.Special Features:
- Excellent Meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Will definitely go back! Service was great, fantastic beer list. Good value!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousDrlipidDined on 9/27/2014Small - tightly seated area. Menu not large - but individual meals very well prepared and delicious. Disappointing there no iced tea availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find!MaineBigDaddyVIPDined on 9/16/2014Amazing neighborhood spot. Fab cocktail list (in fact it is 3 times as many pages as the food menu). I could eat the pork belly with Manchego Grits every day!! GO here, just go!!Special Features:
- Fantastic Food, Lacking ServicePeteyJDined on 9/12/2014I have dined at this restaurant two times. The first was right after it opened and they were still working out the kinks; exactly what you would expect on the first week. I dined there again this past weekend. We all had a pre-dinner cocktail and mine was fantastic; I can't remember what it was called but it was served over a large cube of ice (I love these) and was kind of a cross between a Manhattan and an Old Fashioned, yummy! We had a variety of entrees between the 4 of us and my steak dish (I think it was a special) was right on point. We also had bottle of wine and shared the smore dessert (this was just ok). Service was lacking, he seemed a bit disorganized and inefficient, but a nice guy.Special Features:
- New find in RichmondBibimbapwhoDined on 9/9/2014We searched for different and was very pleased with our findings The menu was entirely interesting but with thorough explanation and recommendations all in all it was great. Sure to return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Definitely Be BackmrspohoDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our date night at Saison! The service was excellent. Though the restaurant itself is rather small, there's still plenty of space to get around. The menus are neat, placed inside a book, and there were lots of choices. The drink list was excellent, there's something for everyone on it, whether you like mixed drinks, beer or wine. My husband ordered some IPAs, and I ordered the mixed drink called Made in the Shade, which was amazing and HUGE. We started off with the fried corn kernels, and I had the kimchi while my husband had the burger, both were delicious. Dessert was incredible and was big enough for the 2 of us to split. Be sure to try to Smoked Sugar S'more!Special Features:
- We're out of thatOutinrvaDined on 8/15/2014After two failed beer ordering attempts bc they were out of both at 7 on a Friday. My meal started off less than great. Food was great but a little pricey for the portion size. Tables are very close together so I had to move my chair a couple of times to let someone to get to their table bc my chair and their table practically touched. Everyone liked their meals. Probably would go back and just sit at the bar for more room.I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Saison provides a unique experience with the ambience, recycled books as the menu and diverse food options. This is a great place for those looking for a different experience.Special Features:
- Mixed . . .mamabenDined on 8/5/2014Dinner celebration for 23 yr old son -- he and Dad LOVED it; Mom(me) . . . Not so much. Too many flavors in each dish -- sometimes, simpler is better. VERY loud (yes, it is a bar -- we are "old"). Service was OK --Special Features:
- Perfect but scatter-shot servicepatthecookDined on 7/31/2014Friendly, wonderful, informed service from our smart server and engaging bartender. The kitchen was very slow and as a result we missed our concert. The food-- complex --pollo a la brasa with a powerwful, yet subtle smokey broth and potataoes, Pork tenderloin. We were not bereft because this was wonderful food, complex, with great flavor. Informed wait staff (can we find another term for these smart, decicated food/drink experts?). The staff shone here. Food fabulous too but with too much time to get a meal. We would stil go back and just have a leisurely time. Not everyone would agree.Special Features:
- The following 51 reviews are from the Saison reviews archive.
- on the way to theaterChrisDined on 7/25/2014Great restaurant. Food stellar. Initial impression at door not great but food and service really brings it around. Parking not obvious but convenient to November Theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Experiencelut121Dined on 7/20/2014Had the Rundown which was bursting with an unique combination of flavors. Wish the portions were larger and that they use a bread besides the flatbread that accompanied the meal. Decided to try the Sunday night special: 2 quarters of fried chicken (dark or white meat), collard greens and cornbread. Reminded me of grandmothers down south cooking. Oh and it was only $8.00. Beer selection was notable. Will definitely try a cocktail and dessert next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday evening at SaisonfoodforthesoulDined on 7/11/2014This was our first time at Saison. The music , menus, decor and the food provided a unique experience. Our server was pleasant efficient, and gave just the right amount of attention. We were intrigued by the 2 Bartenders and the mixed drinks. I had the "Rundown" ( shrimp, scallops and octopus). I had to push the octopus aside but the coconut flavored dish was terrific. Only wish I had crusty bread to sop the broth rather than flat bread. My husband had a generous portion of chicken and ate everything on his plate. The rasberry sorbet with short bread, cherries and cream was delicious. Saison did not disappoint. Look forward to returning. Might even try a cocktail next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey drinks, but worth it...12FoodieDined on 7/8/2014Great food, great service. Drinks were small and expensive, but I've never had a finer gin 'n tonic, so there you go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LikegoodfoodDined on 6/28/2014A friend had told me how good Saison was and she was right! Our meals varied from lamb chops to catfish to the sea bass special, but all had a great combination of flavors. Desserts combined unusual pairings which were delicious. Our waitstaff gave us just the right amount of attention and also had good recommendations about which wine would go best with each dish. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- Delicious Food - Tiny Portion SizeFeedbackVIPDined on 6/27/2014I went to dinner with two of my friends on a Friday. The restaurant was very cute and I lover the menus being old library books. We all ordered the scallops. Our plates arrived with five scallops, 3 baby carrots, 6 peas and a small portion of pea purée. This was more the size of an appetizer than an entree. The peas and carrots were more a garnish than actual sides. We were all very disappointed that we paid $21 for our entrees. The scallops were delicious but none of us will return. I can go to many more restaurants and pay the same price for a full meal. We ended up going for drinks at another restaurant and eating so we would actually be full.
- HappypopHappypopDined on 6/21/2014Wonderful little neighborhood restaurant, excellent food and we had great service. Make a rerservation and do not miss it.Special Features:
- DougDined on 6/19/2014Great bar. Food was good. Kitchen was slow. Small restaurant. Crowded. Server was new--nice, but still learning.Special Features:
- Slooooooowwwww FoodcatsmeowVIPDined on 6/16/2014This was my second visit to Saison and, again, the food was excellent (especially dessert!), the beer, cocktail selection is stellar, the waiter very competent. However, it was somewhat marred by the waits for the dinner and dessert. Appetizers came out fast (great pork belly w/ grits and chorizo pate!). After that, things stalled. Since we were only one of two tables in the restaurant, it seemed an awfully long wait (40+ minutes) for entrees. The bar was full, the US won their first round in the World Cup, all was good. It really was the almost 25 minute wait for dessert that didn't make any sense. Now, the dessert is decidedly worth it. However, when you are the last table, it is hard to fathom.Special Features:
- DelightfulEnjoyinVIPDined on 6/15/2014Our first dining expereince at Saison, and it will not be our last. Cocktails were mixed perfectly. The pimento cheese appetizer (it's a Richmond thing) was light and flavorful. We both had the whole Bronzino, which was delicious. For desert, carrot cake - not heavy, and served with a pepper ice cream. The staff was friendly and attentive. It could not have been a better experience.Special Features:
- Low key, High qualityRicpogaDined on 6/13/2014This is a fun place with unique food offerings at a reasonable price. We've dined everywhere in the Fan, and Saison is the most consistently excellent. Great service, amazing cocktails and beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indescribably awesomePrestonRVADined on 5/31/2014One of the top five meals of my life. I'm a culinary professional, and cannot begin to comprehend how the chef orchestrated such symphonically well composed dishes. The oxtail sopes were utter perfection, a glorious harmony of flavors comprising the perfect bite of food. The term "amuse bouche" was made for these things. The chicken was the single greatest piece of poultry I have ever consumed. The pork belly small plate was transcendental. My only complaint was of the accompanying salad, which was, for lack of better word, acrid, but did little to detract from the primacy of the rest of the dining experience. And all in an atmosphere I could live in, fall in love with, and fall in love in. I will be back when I can afford it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More people should know Saisonindividual11Dined on 5/24/2014Consistently great and unique food. Amazing cocktail and wine list. Everything is about the details from the menus being placed in old books to the tiny mint leaves in the arugula salad. More people should know about this place, it's too good not to be always packed.Special Features:
- Pea shoots and Pepper ice creamBesokissDined on 5/23/2014Saison: a great neighborhood find! Unusual food combos (the like black pepper ice cream) delight and surprise! The pea shoot salad was refreshingly sprinkled with mint! Curried carrots on my carrot cake! Scallops were seared perfectly and presented beautifully. Noise level is very energized but the tables are small so you can lean in to converse!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.