155 Southside Avenue
Hastings-On-Hudson, NY 10706Neighborhood:
Hastings on Hudson
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saintgeorgebistro.com/
- Phone: 9144781671x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday through Thursday 5PM - 10PM
Friday and Saturday 5PM - 11PM
Sunday 5PM - 9PM
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 11AM - 3PM
Closed on Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American, French
- Executive Chef: Chris Vergara
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-site catering is available.
- Cross Street: Spring Street
- Public Transit: The Hastings-on-Hudson Metro North Station is just a few quick steps down Southside Avenue from Saint George"s door.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: For street parking we suggest checking for metered spots on Southside Avenue and the adjacent Maple Avenue. The meters are active from 8am to 6pm.
Just south of Saint George on Southside Avenue there is a large municipal lot. This lot is right across from the Metro North Station, which also has some metered parking.
Maple Avenue meters require one quarter for 3 hours, making it the perfect spot for lunch and brunch parking.
A word from Saint George
Saint George is a new French Bistro focused on celebrating the traditions and flavors of the classic Bistro experience. Saint George offers a large raw bar, house made charcuterie, artisan cheeses, choice meats, sustainable seafood, and local produce. A wholly French wine list and contemporary cocktail program complement the 120-year old bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Saint George - Best Restaurants in Hastings on Hudson ›
Saint George reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (52)special occasion (33)romantic (26)great for brunch (14)notable wine list (12)hot spot (10)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (7)good for groups (6)scenic view (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Excellent Dining Experience!Amadeus99Dined on 8/23/2014I wanted to try a new Westchester restaurant to take my partner for his birthday. Saint George more than exceeded my expectations! The ambiance had old-world charm, the wait staff was courteous and attentive and the food was spectacular! I had the corn soup and the black bass special; my partner had the clams and the pork chop special -- all extremely delicious! And if you can't get good creme brulee and chocolate mousse at a French Bistro, than where can you? These were outstanding! The New York Times review convinced me to give Saint George a try, but now I can highly recommend it on my own!Special Features:
- Great food and serviceBlueStarDined on 8/23/2014We had a lovely time celebrating our 30th anniversary. The food was excellent as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- samiDined on 8/20/2014The food was excellent. The service was excellent. What more does a diner need? We will definitely return and recommend this restaurant to friends. The noise level, however, could have been more subdued.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LivelyTricusDined on 8/14/2014Food and service were excellent. I was impressed when the wait staff recommended the least expensive wines by the glass to go with our entrees. The noise level is much higher than at the predecessor, Buffet de la Gare. It was a little difficult for three people to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd eat here againEatURHeartOUTVIPDined on 8/14/2014The service started off slow and choppy, but it improved over the course of our meal. The staff were nice, knowledgeable about the menu. The food was delicious! I had the ricotta dumplings, which were absolutely delightful, and I'd recommend to anyone dining there. My dining companions each enjoyed their meals as well, not a dish left sampled and enjoyed by all. They have a great wine by the glass menu, but their beer menu could be improved. The dessert menu was a bit of a letdown; after all of the interesting entrees, we were left with just a few of the French classics, such as creme bruise and chocolate mousse. They were very well prepared, but a bit uninspired. Overall, I'd eat here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingidonthaveanameDined on 8/12/2014Great food, great staff, overall a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/8/2014The best duck I ever had. Wonderful dinner. Slow service.Special Features:
- New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/1/2014St George is our new favorite --- Wonderful food --- Great market salad each day --- Fish specials are delightful. excellently prepared french bistro food --- Owner make a delicious Planters Punch and there is an absinthe bar. Don't miss this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/30/2014The food was much too salty. We had the special corn soup that was really salty and the striped bass that had a bed of arugula and mushrooms that was almost inedible it was so salty. The pork shoulder confit was good. The menu is very limited and once the place fills up it gets too noisy to talk. Very disappointing since we really like Meritage and Harper's and go to both regularly.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014Deliciously prepared, authentic French cuisine. Escargot and oysters were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!AubreyDined on 7/19/2014Felt like we were in the Marais in Paris. Their were four of us and each remarked on how authentically French the food was. The service was attentive and professional without being interuptive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuGeorgeVIPDined on 7/13/2014The Brunch menu was a bit scarce for my choice and the service needs improvjng.!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dont Miss this PlacemrfindahomeDined on 7/1/2014Food was outstanding (got to try the pork bellies) service good its a place that you always know that you will get a five star meal staff friendly and explained items on the menu how they are prepared, Will be back and with friends !Special Features:
- good enjoyable, not great.pbf136VIPDined on 6/28/2014Ate there the other night. Was very excited to get a reservation. The food was good but not as fantastic as I had thought it would be. They had run out of one of the specials by 8 pm. Didn't love the menu. A bit loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weezDined on 6/27/2014This was formally Buffet de la Gare which was one of my favorite restaturants. The change from more classic french to bistro was done well. Glad the decor was kept.Special Features:
- Wonderful dinner!icecreamVIPDined on 6/27/2014Acoustics are excellent. Every table was filled but it was not deafeningly loud, which has become a problem in small restaurants around here. Service was very pleasant, food was outstanding (not one dud). Overall an excellent meal and a new restaurant added to my rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Drink!Lola4EverDined on 6/21/2014My wife and a good friend of our's visited Saint George for the first time and it was an enjoyable experience. The food was very good (portions are moderate at best). We had mussels, escargot, dumplings and duck, and rave reviews all around. I had a champagne mix with brandy that was very tasty and, although a small glass, it was potent. My wife had wine and our friend had iced tea and both enjoyed their drinks. Our table was in front and right next to the bathroom (obvious negative), and the Sun descending was too bright and hot for me (they need shades for their windows in my opinion). There service was friendly, however, their hovering was annoying - their rush to take away our plates and utensils should be corrected by Management.Special Features:
- As loud as an amusement parkOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/14/2014Are all restaurants as loud as an amusement park? These days, many restaurants seem to embrace/condone a din that makes it impossible to speak to your companion a foot away. No matter how good the food and service, I shouldn't get a headache from the experience. And, what's up with Opentable's dainty characterization for the highest, most egregious noise level as-Energetic?! Really? Energetic? How about bombastic? ear splitting? Deafening?
- food44whats2eatDined on 6/14/2014The place was fabulous! Food outstanding. It is small however and tables close, which makes the noise level and privacy aspect difficult. Having said that, it is a gem and we would definitely go back. The food was superb. All 4 of us really enjoyed our meals; As long as you are aware that it is small and can be a bit noisy than it is definitely worth the trip. A definite addition to the Westchester mid-range excellent dining experience!!Special Features:
- monkeymomDined on 6/11/2014Had received a gift certificate to St. George and without that would never have discovered this wonderful establishment. Wine list great, food fresh and delicious. We shared the ricotta dumplings with wild mushrooms - yum - a salad with sliced apricots which happened to be sour, but my husband enjoyed and the delicious asparagus and pea soup. The soup had a light, fresh just picked flavor and would highly recommend. For entree my husband had the Skate wing, and I the chicken fricasse. Both prepared perfectly and very tasty. For dessert we shared the passion fruit sorbet and the profiteroles - both excellent. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FisspotDined on 6/7/2014Interesting menu. A bit limited. Knowledgeable wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2eatoutOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/6/2014The food was great as is the ambience of the restaurant. The service was a little slow, but more in a "don't want to rush you" way. We really enjoyed it - we all had different entrees and everyone said there's was delicious ! The asparagus soup was awesome. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLoverDined on 6/6/2014Service: Amateurish. unprofessional Noise level: VERY LOUD. Great if you don't want to talk to your partner Food: Very good Time between courses: too long
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014I went on the earlier side so it was quite . The food was amazing from start to finish & was reasonable . Had a couple of glasses of wine @ the recommendation of the waitress that were awesome. My husband had the planters punch which was also very good. We had all the specials of the night also fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful contemporary FrenchLocalfrancophileDined on 5/23/2014You can have a modern version of real classics or small plates. All taste great and beautifully presentedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/21/2014It was our first time dining at this restaurant, and it was my birthday. Each dish was better than the next. Next time we will have to leave room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak frites!happysteakgirlVIPDined on 5/17/2014I am still thinking about the perfectly prepared steak I had at Saint George on Saturday night. My husband I both got the hangar steak, sliced and topped with butter....I think it ranks as one of the best steaks I've ever had. Juicy and tender and salty and everything I think it should be. I must go back soon and have been telling everyone about it. The cabernet franc went perfectly with it, too. Nice, relaxed vibe in a pretty restaurant.Special Features:
- good food, way too much noiseGourmetVIPDined on 5/16/2014liked the food but was so noisy it was intolerable. the bar is packed and ruins the ambiance of dining.
- A Neighborhood GenCaryncVIPDined on 5/16/2014The staff is very friendly and accommodating. I made a reservation for 4, but then need to change to 6 people. They changed it without hesitation. The food, drinks and wine were all wonderful. I would recommend to anyone and we will go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Than You ThinkhburkDined on 5/11/2014This is not your father's Buffett de la Gare. They have honored their predecessor on the premises in numerous ways - but the new incarnation is very much 21st century, less expensive, more varied, go numerous times not just on a birthday. They've thought of everything. and done it quite nicely. Fish.Seafood, Hagar steak. Maybe a glass of champaigne (Sp?). Cpmfortable. Not too noisry thank goodness. You look for holes and they just don't show up. Bfravo. Manges bien.Special Features:
- Mothers DayKarenmDined on 5/11/2014The food at Saint George was excellent and they replaced my Bloody Mary without question when I said it was too spicy! I'd definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- QualityHeliVIPDined on 5/8/2014Second visit here. The food quality is excellent which is very unusual in restaurants today. Service was good but not excellent. Not attentive enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little DisappointedDaLYaDined on 5/2/2014. We ordered the rib steak for 2 on the bone cooked to medium. t was slightly past medium and the piece of meat had a little too much "stuff" we had to trim. We asked for a substitute of frites but got both the mashed and the frites. The mashed tasted instant. There was also a side of sauteed pearl onions and bacon which was not noted on the menu. It was overly salty ad the onion tops too stringy.My husband does not eat bacon so he did not even taste the dish. Had we known it was an accompaniment, we would have asked for a extra asparagus which were delicious. We passed on dessert as the few choices did not inspire us to even share. The food was good, but not wonderful. We will not rush back.
- The following 104 reviews are from the Saint George reviews archive.
- abmedrDined on 4/27/2014The food was delicious. Four of us shared a plate of chacuterie, mussels and escargot to start. For main courses we had strip steak (they were out of the menu ribeye, and the hanger steak. The steaks were cooked peferfectly and were yummy. Everyone enjoyed the meal including excellent creme brulee for dessert. The staff were pleasant and attentive. Only criticism is that the menu is very small. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful new place in HastingsZamnycDined on 4/25/2014We had a window seat looking at the Hudson and the small portions were beautifully presented. There were some exotic ingredients - the carrot soup had a mushroom I did not recognize and enjoyed thoroughly. I look forward to going back for duck breast or a "tartinette" or the steak frites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnermimsybDined on 4/19/2014Enjoyable relaxed meal with old friends. Glad to see the old Buffet de la Gare has not completely disappeared. It's in good hands. Excellent excellent cauliflower soup and special attention for our friend on his birthday from our waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Winner in HastingsEasyTraveller123Dined on 4/13/2014Those who loved the wonderful Buffet de la Gare and mourned its passing can take heart. Saint George has taken over the space and preserved its delightful ambiance. Although the menu is short, the food is delicious. We enjoyed appetizers of crab mayonnaise and escargot, an entree of beautifully prepared skate wings, and fine desserts. The service is professional and friendly. Reservations can be difficult to get, so call a week or two ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicemcorreiaVIPDined on 4/12/2014Great dinner and service at Saint George, will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/6/2014We were told the kitchen was out of 3 items on the menu therefore choices were limited. Although there were added specials in lieu of the ones that were missing, I got the feeling that the lacking items were never there to begin with. Our waitress was pleasant but not very amenable to explaining the menu unless pressed. Special salad was no more than ordinary. Coq au vin very tasty and tender. Under The Goulets as Buffet de la Gare it was an extraordinary eatery and, in my opinion, it has morphed into something ordinary and less inspired. For the money, we can go to at least 4 other places that are similar, pay the same price, have more menu options and eat food that is presented invitingly and cooked with more taste.
- Its a keeper!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/5/2014This was our second visit. The food was consistently excellent. They have a small menu, but a long list of specials. Its cozy and warm inside. Service was attentive and unpretentious and they were still full at 9:30 when we arrived. For westchester, that's pretty good. All in all, its a great addition to the rivertown dining scene.Special Features: