Saint Declan's Well
3131 Walnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
IrishPrice: $30 and under
Saint Declan's Well
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.stdeclanswell.com/
- Phone: 2158830965
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American, Irish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Saint Declan's Well
Great food, great drinks, great location.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Saint Declan's Well reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (3)neighborhood gem (2)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good brunch!UCityDameDined on 5/31/2014We went on a Saturday at noon and the place was nice and quiet. The waitress was in training, but she did well, pleasant and attentive without hovering. The food was good, and the portions generous. Not a huge selection, but if you like simple fare, well-prepared and presented, it's a nice spot.Special Features:
- Night outIljbDined on 5/30/2014My first time eating at Saint Declan's Well and it was good. I needed a casual and this fit the bill. There were four of us, two couples and everyone enjoyed the food and drinks. Our waiter was very helpful and attentive. I would not however, travel in to Philly just to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 18 reviews are from the Saint Declan's Well reviews archive.
- Nice Addition to UC!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/16/2014One a raining Friday afternoon I was greet by open door to help shelter me from the raindrops, immediately offered to take my umbrella and hang my coat! A+ for welcoming. This was my first dining experience, lunch, at SDW. The waitstaff is super friendly and attentive without going overboard. She went over the menu, shared her favorites and answered all questions sincerely. I went for the Reuben which so delicious...hot on the inside and crispy outside and flavorful. My dining partner ordered the Pub Club with beef (not turkey). Nice selection on beers on tap in addition to bottles. Definitely plan on checking out the evening crowd and bar scene.Special Features:
- Great lunchPhillyMattDined on 3/14/2014I brought 3 colleagues over for lunch. I had the crab cake. All of the food was excellent. I had the crab cake. Large portions and great beer. The waitress was very friendly and attentive. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/22/2014Being of Irish decent, thought we would try this out while in the neighborhood for a show. Food was mediocre - nothing special. Servier tried to be "friendly" but we had to ask a number of times to have water refilled even though she was passing our table. Meal items took a long time to come out of the kitchen and the restaurant wasn't even full. Wanted another glass of wine but by the time server returned, no longer intersted as we had completed our meal. You can get better food elsewhere - no need to go here.
- fantastic and affordableFoodie1Dined on 2/20/2014My friend and I went here before a concert a world cafe live. The decor is beautiful and the food was delicious! we got crab dip and appetizers (because it was so early) and drinks and the entire bill was less than 30$! Definitely would recommend to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good City EatGBogleDined on 2/8/2014Perfect location before, after or in between city college games. Our waitress even had an authentic Irish BrogueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bar/Dining area needs to beDannyDined on 1/25/2014Bar/Dining area needs to be reexamined. The noise level while eating in the restuaraunt was too loud. It really took away from the excellent service that we were getting. Food just ok but we were not expecting much for an irish pub. Enjoyed the design/ ambience (aside from the noise level).Special Features:
- Great place for lunchAreADined on 1/24/2014Went to Saint Declan's Well with a party of 8 and they had no problem with the large group. We were seated at a massive wooden dining room table in the center of the restaurant. The room was tastefully decorated with large stone columns and a huge stone fireplace. Service was fast and the server was attentive and patient with folks in my party who asked detail questions about the menu items and specials. Portions were generous and well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a Winner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2014Our group visited for the first time on ESPN Game Day-the place was packed when we arrived and after one beverage our table was ready for us! We had a great meal and the atmosphere and service were spot on. We would highly recommend Saint Declan's Well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typically PubLuzimaDined on 1/10/2014Dimly lit, couple staples , little louder with groupsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New to University City areaCAWSDined on 1/4/2014Our family attended a Pallestra game. on a Sat night and randomly chose Saint Declan's due to proximity to Palestra. Turned out to be the perfect choice Spacious dining room very confortable for groups or couple dining, wonderful service with great menu choices Everybody loved their food and reasonable prices We are going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch near DrexelDrexel2015mamaDined on 12/31/2013Stopped here on New Year's Eve mid-afternoon for lunch with Drexel student daughter and her boyfriend. Noted that the menu included some "not exactly Irish" dishes such as grilled cheese as well as pub staples such as fish and chips, shepherds pie and bangers and mash. The grilled cheese is a double-decker sandwich that was very enjoyable, especially when paired with soup. Fish was a little bland, requiring some salt to be added. Bangers and mash were a hit. Great list of beers and ciders with reasonable prices. Service was very attentive, even considering that there were only 2 other tables besides us. Noticed that the bar was very active. Overall great experience, will be back again. Street parking also available.Special Features:
- Reliable friendly pub farepeteramaDined on 12/13/2013Have enjoyed every visit to Declan's. Staff are very responsive and even encouraging of special requests. Waiters are friendly and patient. Vegetarian requests were welcomed and executed carefully and thoughtfully. We were given all the time we wanted to sit and chat even after our meal was done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Pub but Too MeatypeteramaDined on 12/6/2013Friendly reliable surroundings and pub fare. A nice place to drink and talk with a group. Worth going back to, but, there is no serious non-meat menu, even compared to other nearby pubs, (to the point that even the one cheese sandwich on the menu includes bacon!) Right now Declan's menu loudly says "stay away unless you want to eat meat," (i.e. vegetarian students and professors go eat someplace else.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Want to give it a second tryNewbieVIPDined on 11/21/2013I made a reservation because I was going to a show at Drexel and was tired of most Univ City places. Arrived to be met by noise that was almost physical - turns out there was a networking event with live music. I almost left, but they found me a table as far as possible from the worst of the activity... The menu looked OK for pub food; I went with the house salad and fish and chips. Both dishes were adequate but bland - I even had to salt the salad. Pet peeve - shepherd's pie should have lamb, not beef. My server was SUPERB - helpful, informed, attentive without being intrusive. Serving a single diner is hard and he was great. I'll try this place again - it's a nice space and has promise - but will call ahead to assess noise levels.
- Excellent Irish BreakfastBonkersDined on 11/16/2013My friend and I took her son to Philadelphia on Saturday and for brunch we decided to try this new place in the UPenn neighborhood. She's from Belfast and has been wanting a bit of home for some time now. St. Declan's hit the Fry-Up dead-on. Bangers, rashers and black pudding? Check. Wheaten bread and grilled tomatoes? Check. Heinz baked beans, and fried potatoes? Eggs done to order? All of that, and very good tea, too. The kidlet had the kid's chicken fingers & fries and cleaned the plate. The portions were very generous and the food was well seasoned. Service was very good and the staff made us feel welcome. We are looking forward to trying their dinner menu and really hope that the neighborhood supports this great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch and VERY AccomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/10/2013My husband and I took our two college kids and a few of their friends to brunch and we had a great experience. They set our table up in the bar area so we could eat and talk plus watch the Eagles game. Some of our party ordered off the menu and they were very accomodating. The kids were very happy, the food was great and it was very reasonable. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Great pub optionOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/5/2013I'm a regular to a lot of pubs around the city and while I never consider a place with a TV to be a true pub, this was a pretty nice take on one. The place still has that "new pub" look and feel. Beer list was good and reasonably priced. They do commit the now fairly standard pub faux pas in making a shepherd's pie with ground beef only and not calling it cottage pie, but I've accepted this to happen anymore. The meal was a good portion and so was the price, but it was pretty standard fare overall; reminded me a bit of Chunky-soup-style beef stew. Overall though I had a great experience here and the atmosphere made most of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!MARYANNEVIPDined on 10/18/2013LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!! Definitely going back..great food and the service and staff make you feel right at home..went for dinner,left to see a show and came back. Great band on Friday night. Traditional Irish food. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.