116 Orange Ave.
Coronado, CA 92118Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saikosushisd.com/
- Phone: 6194350868
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Anthony Pascale
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Saiko Sushi
Saiko Sushi in Coronado's Ferry Landing neighborhood is a progressive Japanese restaurant with a family friendly, neighborhood vibe. Hot and cold menus delight with a constantly evolving daily special board. Patio seating is a plus with views of the bay and downtown San Diego. Just a quick ferry ride from downtown makes lunch or dinner an experience in itself. Daily Happy Hour from 4:30-6:30 changes regularly so check in often.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Saiko Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (18)great for outdoor dining (16)fit for foodies (8)hot spot (7)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (3)scenic view (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- fantastic foodfromthedesertDined on 7/5/2014Not classic sushi, but amazing! The flavors were incredible, the sushi beautifully and artfully presented. We had quite a few items from the menu and will return to try the rest (although we live in Arizona).Special Features:
- great rolls, homemade dessertsgjrosaDined on 6/15/2014Nice place in Coronado, off the beaten path and much quieter neighborhood than downtown. Rolls were excellent and tasted great. Service was not great - our waitress seemed overworked and was slow to get around to us. Prices are what you would expect, but not exorbitant. The desserts are homemade (according to them), and the ice cream was very good. Nice place to take a date, then take a nice walk in the park across the street with great views of San Diego skyline.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kevin WKDubDined on 6/7/2014Best sushi in San Diego. My 5th time dining here and Saiko never disappoints. Lots of great small plates and the sashimi is always outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SushinancyVIPDined on 6/1/2014It's obvious that the sushi chefs take great pride in their work. Every sushi dish is presented creatively and tastes delicious. Other items on the menu are also well prepared and equally tasty! This is our favorite neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Great foodPumpvixenVIPDined on 5/25/2014The sashimi was fanastic, very fresh. We really enjoyed the various rolls, extremely flavorful. We sat outside and it was just a perfect evening. A great find on Coronado.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/25/2014Food was excellent! Everything we had was fresh and delicious! The service was great! The waiter was very knowledgable and helped us make our selections! Would highly recommend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return for the sushi barpsycloppsDined on 5/11/2014We stopped by here for mothers day lunch. It is a small place so make reservations for busy days such as this, there is limited number of tables for groups. The sushi bar is right next to the regular bar and both make a good seating spot for couples. Check in on yelp to get $1 hot sake with about four shots. The sushi is very fresh and tasty with hearty portions and creative combinations. The teriyaki chicken was a bit dry but it was flavorful. There is a kids menu, we got chicken teriyaki with mashed potatoes and veggies for the one year old, he enjoyed all but the veggies since they were a bit hard for him to chew. I will definitely return to chow down on some fresh sushi in a great spot in Coronado.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/22/2014We walked to Saiko from the other side of the Island. Always great to burn a few calories both way, and then enjoy a relatively lo-cal, healthy meal. Our waiter recommended a special appetizer -- black cod -- it was terrific! Had two great rolls and a nice bottle of savignon blanc. Lovely evening, lovely view, lovely dining experience!Special Features:
- Wonderful local spotLocalDined on 4/11/2014Great service, great food! A wonderful restaurant for our community. Always busy!Special Features:
- Stumbled upon a gemKakotokakoDined on 4/5/2014My fiancée and I happened to be driving around and decided we wanted sushi, we pulled out our phones and googled some restaurants near by. We found Saiko and I liked it already, then we were able to reserve our spot online and I loved that, then when we arrived we just walked up and the hostess had our name already and a table set up for us, it was the most flawless table seating experience I've ever had. From there our waitress was awesome, she was extremely helpful and a delight to be around, always checked up on us and made great suggestions, I believe her name was Marilyn. All the staff were friendly and seemed to work well together and we'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 69 reviews are from the Saiko Sushi reviews archive.
- Date NightarmorettoDined on 3/29/2014The bite size duck tacos were fun finger food & nicely presented. We enjoyed the green curry with green tea noodles. It's worth the trip across the bridge. We will definitely return for our 22nd Anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great curry...Sushi, not so mucheDitsVIPDined on 3/20/2014This place is the only lace for sushi on Coronado. I was a bit disappointed by the freshness of the sushi, but the rest of the meal was sensational.Special Features:
- Terrific!TNS4MEDined on 3/1/2014Two of us ate here while at a conference. We'd tried the restaurants with a view, but they didn't live up to the food expectations. Saiko Sushi was amazing. We started with Cantaloupe Cosmos which were delicious. We loved the Saiko edamame and the Saiko roll. Service was great - fun vibe. I would definitely eat here again.
- Great meal!FoodieDined on 3/1/2014Food was delicious and very well priced for the quality. Owner and all servers were delightful and friendly, giving us ideas of places to see around Coronado. If we lived in the area, we would be regulars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/15/2014Summary: If you’re stuck on Coronado and need something that resembles sushi, Saiko would work but keep your expectations in check. If you’re in San Diego, don’t waste the time and effort coming over the bridge as the experience will disappoint.
- Valentine's Day DinnerNalc93Dined on 2/14/2014I went to Saiko for the first time on valentine's day night. I arrived 20 minutes early and they sat me and my girlfriend right away. The tables were packed a little close together, but the friendly an quick service made up for itSpecial Features:
- Great Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Got reservations here for Valentines day. Service was great. Miso marinated Cod special was delicious. I had the Ace Roll and it was great too. Ended up talking to the people seated next to us about the Godzilla movie playing on the TV in the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi on OrangeSatisfiedDined on 2/8/2014Make a reservation on weekends! Glad we did. Wait was 20 minutes. Small restaurant that does great sushi. We had the normal sushi and tried the grand roll. Not too impressed. Stick to the regular tried and true. Cucumber water is a nice addition. We tried the miso and edamame. We had e 'saiko' versions. Stick to regular edamame....but definitely try the saiko miso. Coconut gives it a great flavor, patio has heaters...again, small space. Plan ahead before dining...happy hour specials were reasonable nod we will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overhyped and low-grade sushiheebeegeebeeDined on 1/10/2014The yellowtail was chewy and tough in places. The rolls were pretty much flavorless and the ingredients tasted super fishy and not very fresh. The garlic edamame was the only redeeming part of our meal. I also noted on our reservation that we were celebrating my birthday, yet no one mentioned it or tried to make the experience a special occasion.
- Great placve to get togethercoriasDined on 1/4/2014Found Saiko online search for sushi in Coronado. It was awesome. Great for a date or small get together. Sushi bar, tables or outside dining with heaters for the cooler nights. I'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/8/2013I took my boyfriend here for his birthday, and the staff went above and beyond to make it a special experience. They saved us an awesome table, constantly checked on our satisfaction throughout the evening, and made sure to offer him a birthday dessert. Their basic rolls were delicious, but their gourmet house rolls were a little rich for me. Décor is young, cool, and generally laid back. Prices were spot on and ambiance was fun and energetic. It would be a great place for a small group to hang out for dinner and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Sushi!crossfitchickDined on 11/15/2013We were seated at the Sushi Bar and were served by the owner and another lady, who were both amazing and very helpful in making our choices. The ambience was great, and it was not too loud. It is a very cozy and a great little restaurant. The Rey Roll was our absolute favorite as well as the Saiko Salmon that we tried. Overall, the food was delicious and we had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saiko Sushi Rocks1HotDaddyDined on 11/11/2013We had a Sushi craving but didn't want to leave Coronado that night, so i did a quick internet search and found this little treasure not far from our hotel. The service and food were topnotch and the staff was friendly and inviting. Prices were more than reasonable. Parking is first come first serve but thats anywhere in the San Diego area. Thanks Saiko for a memorable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticMelissaSDined on 11/9/2013Amazing evening at Saiko Sushi! I loved the Saiko Edamame- garlic and celery salt. Even the sushi chef remarked how good it smelled. I got a salmon/avocado roll and the crown roll. The rolls came out quickly and were perfect. Make sure you try the eel sauce ice cream. It's taste is similar to a vanilla ice cream with salted caramel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi TimeRecoiledVIPDined on 11/1/2013As a local, it is always beneficial to be able to walk to a great restaurant. There are multiple sushi bars on Coronado; however, none even compare to Saiko Sushi. This is not only a neighborhood gem, but is easily one of the top sushi restaurants in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDING QUALITYFoodieLoriVIPDined on 10/31/2013This restaurant has a wonderful selection of sushi but most important, one of the best quality of fish for sushi that we have had in a very long time. I've been eating sushi since I am 16 and now 40 years later, I am we'll seasoned on the freshest of fish, and am also incredibly fussy. This spot is very low key, but the quaintly of the hamachi, tuna, toro, mackerel,was amazing. Very nice cooked dishes as well.Special Features:
- Extremely long waits for dinnerNandoVIPDined on 9/19/2013Extremely long waits for dinner this night. Saiko probably needs a few more staff. Not the norm, but needs improvement.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality service menu all superbOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2013We lived in Japan the past three years, so we were thrilled to find that this neighborhood sushi restaurant met and exceeded our expectations. They do a great job of providing the traditional with a mix of their own creative offerings. Their happy hour menu is fantastic and helps save since going at other times has left a dent in the wallet. The service was relaxed but attentive and the outdoor table was perfect for our family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful experienceKassiDined on 9/7/2013We had a wonderful experience at Saiko. The food and service was top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem2GoodDined on 8/30/2013Although small it's a terrific place to eat, make reservations for dinner it's always packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to BE a GEMNandoVIPDined on 7/30/2013Newly remodeled exterior is an added plus. More room to eat at the bar if you need it! Food and service continue to keep this restaurant as a top pick for the family. Keep it up Guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun SushiVandalMDDined on 7/18/2013Sushi was great in this cute restaurant in the Coronado area. A little more spendy than what I'm used to for sushi, so didn't get to try as many different things as I would have liked, but everything we had was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour!luvsushiDined on 7/8/2013I love the relaxed feel of this place, We will definitely want to return to try more dishes! Wine was reasonably priced. Loved their cucumber water too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasic Fish!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/1/2013Despite having some conflicts with reservations, Saiko Sushi was fantastic! They have a great selection of fish and sake. Why did I give the food 4 stars? The portion sizes are kinda small for the price. This is definitely a date night or a special night out sort of place, if the prices were cheaper, I wouldn't have a problem with eating here more often :) The New Zealand Salmon is definitely worth trying! Its so good and is even buttery! The edamame is fantastic and so is the tempura! The service was great and our food came out very quickly. Try and get there during happy hour, they have some awesome specials!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/30/2013Amazing Sushi and food! Love the bar selection on wine, beer and saki. Totally recommend this restaurant to my friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daughters 16th BirthdayBobbyDined on 6/23/2013My daughters both love this place and when my oldest asked to have her birthday dinner there we jumped. Great fresh food and great service....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Waiter was reallyHungrytravelerVIPDined on 5/30/2013Great food. Waiter was really knowledgable and made a great recommendation on both our nigiri and entre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BluefinOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/3/2013Evan and his staff are the best!! And the sushi is unparalleled in San Diego, not to mention their specialty dishes and drinks. We recently moved from Coronado, but still make it a point to come back to the Island to eat at Saiko when we're in the mood for great sushi. Greg F.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ on food, drinks and service.VikingDined on 5/3/2013We dined on the patio and the "couch seating" was a welcome alternative but far too low to the ground. Other people's children can be a bit irritating.Special Features:
- Psycho for Saiko (couldn't help it)OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/29/2013Easily in our top three of sushi restaurants in San Diego. I highly recommend the Saiko edamame to start things off. Not a huge selection of rolls but that's okay because what they do offer is amazing. The owner and staff are genuinely friendly and the service is great.Special Features: