2010 N. Sheffield
Chicago, IL 60614Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saicafe.com/
- Phone: (773) 472-8080
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30 PM - 11:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 4:30 PM - 12:00 PM, Sunday: 3:30 PM - 10:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: James Bee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: Our full menu is available for carry-out, delivery and private catering events. To place an order for a special occasion, please call the restaurant for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining is offered for parties up to 30 people. Our knowledgeable staff will gladly assist you in planning your special occasion or business dinner.
- Private Party Contact: James Bee 7734728080
A word from Sai Cafe
Sai Cafe is a hidden gem located in the heart of Lincoln Park, Chicago. We specialize in Japanese Seafood and Sushi prepared to your specifications. For twenty-four years, Chef and Owner James Bee has been serving the freshest and highest quality seafood to our patrons. Additionally, our friendly staff has been expertly trained to provide exceptional service and answer any questions that might arise. We welcome all walk-in, take-out and delivery orders and recommend reservations for weekend evenings. Our menu is critically acclaimed by numerous media organizations and has acquired several awards. Thank you for your interest in Sai Cafe and we look forward to serving you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerJapanese
Sai Cafe - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Park ›
Sai Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (23)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (11)romantic (11)special occasion (10)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (3)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Sai Cafe Sheffeld/ArmitageOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/19/2014This restaurant has been one of my very favorite places to dine on Sushi and Sashimi for the last 2o years. Jimmy and Mai the owner make a great impression by always being there and greeting all seated guests with a big welcome and friendly conversation. Things that are not on the menu are among my favorites. Try a Friend Negi Hamachi (deep fried yellow tale role inside out), Oyster Shooter Tiger Eyes I think they are called. The Gomye which is a spinach roll served in a bowl of peanut dipping sauce.The poke bowl of tuna is to die for. then of course is the menu. Very full and robust. You won't be disappointed in the food. It's a quiet place to take a date or friends or family. The only suggestion I have is the wait staff is over attentive and if you drink a sip of water they are right there to fill it again. Felt like they kept too close a watch and we could have used more time getting deeper into conversation. Still could be worse things! I love this place and it's a must go for all Sushi lovers in chicago. The salmon and the white tuna will make your eyes roll back in your head.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi cool atmosphereKsavDined on 11/11/2014Spicy rolls were great. Only complaint is that the dynamite should be served with some kind of cracker or crunch element. Flavors were good but almost too rich on its own.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentPapabearDined on 11/6/2014The sushi was really outstanding--the quality if the fish was superb. We also ordered nabeyaki udon--not traditional in the sense of no egg, but loaded with fresh seafood. My only criticism was the dashi (soup) was too sweet. The service was wonderfully Ttentive to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!SunnieDined on 10/28/2014I went here with my boyfriend for our anniversary, and it was an excellent choice. The food was great, the restaurant was beautiful, and the service was stellar. My boyfriend normally isn't a fish person, but he still enjoyed the sushi! I look forward to going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LincolnParkJohnDined on 10/25/2014We always enjoy the Sai Cafe. The staff is very helpful and the creations from the expert Sushi guys at the Sushi bar are tasty and fresh. Always a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemmoshjillerDined on 10/18/2014I went in a group of 6 on a Saturday night, we ended up sitting at the bar just because we knew we'd be a little loud...The service was good, the sashimi was great, the oyster shooters were the best any of us had ever had (hence ordering 3 rounds of these), the rolls were nothing special but I'm not usually a tamaki kind of guy anyway, and the server's knowledge of the saki menu was very helpful. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's the BestExperiencedDinerDined on 10/13/2014In terms of true sushi, Sai has to parallel. Many sushi restaurants pride themselves on their rolls, and "unique" presentation. Sai may not serve the "loaded" rolls filled with imitation crab meat, tons of mayo, topped with a special sauce to disguise the flavor of the roll, but what it does serve is pure sushi/sashimi. Being a lover of sushi myself, I also have fun challenging the chefs asking them to create various pieces outside of their menu. Fun experience with great staff and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodcenteredDined on 10/12/2014Best sushi in town, hands down. This is not the place for "fancy" sushi, but it is simply the best quality anywhere.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The freshest fishPaulVIPDined on 10/11/2014Sai gets the best and freshest fish from their purveyors. The oyster shooters are also amazing. The toro tartar and cucumber salad are also a special treat.Special Features:
- NyeKlaederVIPDined on 10/2/2014Excellent uni and king crab. The rest of the sushi was good but not outstanding this evening.
- FresserVIPDined on 9/13/2014consistently good; the best value for suhi I know of. Friendly people; they are always glad to see you.Special Features:
- Worth the Tripbak4morDined on 9/2/2014Celebrated my son's 21st Birthday. Our server was delightful, attentive and our beverages never went below half full. My favorite part was when you walk in...everyone greets you. Loved that. I would definitely return even though it's quite a distance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite in Lincoln ParkOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014Ever since I moved here 10 years ago, this has been one of my staples, a completely reliable choice in Chicago. I've taken many guests here over the years, had romantic evenings over consistently delicious food and have had many family "moments" here. Always reliable, open later when I need it, valet parking if needed plus typically some street parking… The fried rice is exceptional - crazily delicious, sushi is fresh, seaweed salad perfectly seasoned, and the cod with miso and agadashi tofu are sumptuous. I could go on and on but just accept this - it's great! Services is also always friendly and wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corkage FeeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2014My friends and I went to dinner at Sai and we thought that it was a BYOB, but when we arrived we learned that the restaurant has a full bar and if we want to drink a bottle of wine that you brought, there's a $20 corkage fee. We really enjoyed the hot towels to start the experience and the food was really good! We just wished that the corkage fee wasn't so steep.Special Features:
- Great food Great servicesEluk888Dined on 8/26/2014They always have the freshest sushi. Their sweet shrimp and oyster shooter are the best in town. Every staff are friendly specially Mr. James, the owner, and his sushi chiefs. Love to set at the sushi bar. They remember what we like even for our kids. Love love them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still as good as when first openedMikeFDined on 8/23/2014Lived in the area when Sai Cafe first opened and both the food and service are still as good as I remember. Had some picky eaters in our group and everyone found something to eat that they thoroughly enjoyed. Very attentive service. Maybe not hot and trendy, but great food and service without pretentious pricing is ok with me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- imaginative dishesABJ61VIPDined on 8/8/2014As always, Sai Cafe impresses with top notch ingredients and imaginative dishesSpecial Features:
- not as good as it used to be!tapasloveVIPDined on 7/26/2014Said used to have fantastic sushi/rolls and nicely priced. Not anymore. The food was mediocre and they've significantly raised their prices. Will not return.
- The following 151 reviews are from the Sai Cafe reviews archive.
- a great recommendationDWjwswDined on 7/18/2014Sai Cafe was referred by a co-worker.... The service was impeccable! The recommendations from the manager were exqusite! I will definitely return.Special Features:
- FrogNSnailPartOneDined on 7/7/2014Sai is one of my favorites, there are staples that I must have every time I go and I am constantly surprised when I try something new and love it even though I've been eating there for a lifetime. Always fresh, always friendly, you can't go wrong.Special Features:
- Wonderful SukiyakiJohnFDined on 6/28/2014I've been looking for a great Sukiyaki place since Azuma closed decades ago, this one is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice AmbienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/4/2014We had dinner here with my daughter and nephew when I was in chicago since they are in college and missed good asian food. I live in San Francisco so we are used to really good sushi and I would say the sushi was pretty good, but not excellent, but remember I have had some REALLY good sushi. That said it had a g good ambience and service so I would go back again.
- The rock of all sushi joints.IKnowWhatILikeDined on 4/26/2014The trendy sushi joints come and go, but I've been going to Sai for 20+ years and I think they have the freshest and best sushi in town. The service is terrific and the prices are most reasonable. I hope Sai is around for another 20 years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood sushillatternerDined on 4/23/2014Great place to stop in for sushi. Quiet and easy for conversation.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceXXXXDined on 4/19/2014Everyone was friendly and service was exceptional. Doesn't hurt that the food was amazing!Special Features:
- Have been to Sai Cafe a numberFrankVIPDined on 4/12/2014Have been to Sai Cafe a number of times and it has some of the best sushi in the country. Always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all about the fishDHRbVIPDined on 3/13/2014Sai cafe may not have the most creative sushi menu, but the quality of the fish, and the generosity of the cut, are the best in Chicago. Service is always very good to excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service. HadMariakcDined on 2/28/2014Great food and service. Had not been there in 15years and truly enjoyed the Sushi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointing ExperienceFin533VIPDined on 2/22/2014We tried Sai Cafe because we were hungry for sushi and this looked like a great possibility. We were sorely mistaken. The sushi was simply average. My chicken teriyaki was served tome stone cold and the chicken was simply thin slices and not flavorful. But the service was horrendous - the servers didn't appear to have any table assigned to them so 5 - 6 flitted around the table constantly. They kept asking if we were done with our food - which we were not - and moved the food around as though it were on a game board. We will NOT be back.
- Love the back roomAbbyVIPDined on 2/15/2014I was a bit disappointed to be sat near the sushi bar. It was fine but I was looking for a more cozy feel that the larger room provides. The sushi was super fresh, as usual and the service was very attentive.Special Features:
- My favorite sushi place!!!SheilaDined on 2/15/2014We had a reservation at 7:30pm although we still had to wait 10 min it was fine. It was on a Saturday night and they were super busy. The food was EXCELLENT the toro tartar was amazing and if you like they mix it together for you. The halloween maki and volcani maki were amazing as always. My husband hates fish but loved the volcano maki which was amazing,Special Features:
- Incredibly fresh fish!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/10/2014This little neighborhood gem is worth seeking out for some of the freshest sushi this side of Tokyo. Beautiful presentation.Special Features:
- YumOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/20/2014White tuna crunch roll was awesome!! Also the volcano roll! Best miso soup I've tasted. Service is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why all the hype?fishmongerDined on 1/18/2014After reading so many glowing reviews my wife and I decided to try this place out for her birthday. The fish was decent and generous portions but in every maki it is ground up, something the wife and I don't care for.. Nigiri was good but four out of the nine selections I made they were out of on a Saturday night. We did enjoy the dynamite and toro tartare appetizers they were delicious! Ended our meal with the green tea creme brulee (sp?) Which was very tasty. All in all, the prices are a bit steep for the average experience you receive here.Special Features:
- Yum!missthecityDined on 12/28/2013First time we sat at a table, but the sushi bar looked like fun, so we tried it the second time. Completely different dining experiences, but both great. The server recommended the scallops appetizer- they were fantastic. Their sushi is very fresh and the chef made several recommendations to those at the bar. It was nice to be able to ask the chefs what they were making. If we lived downtown, I'd be here every couple of weeks.Special Features:
- Always greatZachVIPDined on 12/24/2013Been eating here my entire life. A classic neighborhood gem and honestly one of the better sushi spots in town. Extremely fresh fish. Highlights include their ahi poke, black cod, rolls, and nigiri (special shot out to the eel).Special Features:
- The Real DealMSPvisitorsDined on 11/29/2013It's no wonder the Sai Cafe has been around for 28 years this place is truly something special. I travel for work and spend about half of my time away from my home in Minneapolis. I have eaten sushi in most of the states and many other countries, including Japan. In my opinion Sai Cafe is easily one of the best sushi restaurants period. Itis definitely a landmark in Chicago, and an easy decision when I am in the mood for sushi. For those who love real sushi this is the place to be. The unagi is truly fantastic, I don't know what they do different but it really shows. Also the pan fried scallops are amazing. The sushi, well, you just have to stop in and see it for yourself. Their formula for success still works, a must try for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great sushi.FrankVIPDined on 11/10/2013Consistently great sushi. Have been there a number of times and have always found it great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many kidsChicagoManDined on 11/9/2013I am fine with kids in restaurants but this night was particularly over run with small children. They were not sitting at their tables and one family even had a scooter for their kid in the dining area. I know it is not the restaurant's fault but it definitely took away from the dining experience with friends. It was actually kind of annoying. Other than that the food was good and fairly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi-Always!!KristinDined on 10/15/2013Sai Cafe has fresh, delicious sushi every time we visit! It's always a pleasure to have dinner at Sai.Special Features: