Sage Student Bistro - Institute for the Culinary Arts
5730 North 30th street Building 22
Omaha, NE 68111Neighborhood:
Downtown / Old Market
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sage Student Bistro - Institute for the Culinary Arts
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://resource.mccneb.edu/Bistro/
- Phone: 4024572321
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Reservations accepted: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Oystein Solberg/Tim O'Donnell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sage Student Bistro - Institute for the Culinary Arts
Sage Student Bistro is a student run operation that runs concurrently with the school quarter.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sage Student Bistro - Institute for the Culinary Arts reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)special occasion (22)romantic (17)good for groups (15)neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (11)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Beautiful food!winewomanDined on 10/22/2014Presentation was wonderful! Plates were warm or cold depending on the food served. Water glasses were kept filled. Service was prompt. We liked being able to bring wine and the $10 corkage fee is reasonable. Our only criticism - our server was graduating in two months but couldn't describe the preparation for most of the menu items. So we ordered what we thought would be good. food was wonderful! We had a high class meal for a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Sage Student Bistro at MCCSpikeDined on 10/21/2014The Bistro is run by the Institute for the Culinary Arts at Metro Community College. It is an educational opportunity for the chefs and wait staff and a first class dining experience at a moderate price. You can get a five-course prix fixe dinner or order a la carte. Quiet, unhurried atmosphere. Locally grown ingredients. Short wine list but I've always found something I liked.Special Features:
- student prepare mealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We had a party of 6 the wait staff was very attentive. We did the prix fixe meal. Meal was delicious. Tried new type of food and loved them all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sage Bistro's Continued ExcellenceYossarianDined on 10/16/2014I have dined at the Sage Bistro at least eight times over the past few years; my friends and I originally began eating there because we were supporting the school as much as enjoying the dining experience. Now, we go there for fine dining. I include Sage Bistro in my top five restaurants in Omaha - a slate that includes the Flatiron, Le Bouillon, and V. Mertz. The service at Sage Bistro is impeccable - the staff are attentive and knowledgeable. The small details are never overlooked. The menu is creative, and appetizers and "extras" offer a level of "pizzaz" that I love. Finally, the prices are reasonable - but that is not why I go there. I am used to paying for quality dining - and will frequent the Bistro if their prices doubled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JessieDined on 10/15/2014I really loved the bread that i got it was hot and steam when i cut my bread to put some amazing that yummy butter on it. I also really loved was the corn and bacon mixed together. Another thing is that the serivce was great!!!!!!! I really liked the server we got she was so kind and friendly. If i go there again which i think i will i hope i get that serve again because i really liked her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keegan O'Brien & Samantha Enriquez5coursesrockDined on 10/13/2014I thought the students had an outstanding "American Cuisine" inspired menu. We had a party of four, enjoyed a couple bottles of wines, and took our time to savor the five courses.Special Features:
- Prix fixeSurprisemeDined on 10/9/2014I was encouraged to try the student Prix Fixe. I don't really care for fish. But I still tried it. I was totally surprised! The entire meal was extraordinarily delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant at reasonable prices.rdodeDined on 10/9/2014Warmly greeted, adequate selections, exceptional food done by students. Bravo. Setting was delightful. Serene, clean and picturesque. A must for everyone. Very memorable event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most fun I've had at a "fancy"placeBgonz402Dined on 10/8/2014I loved the high class but relaxed feel it had because of the whole student led situation. After you get a plate of food in front of you it doesn't seem like a student led situation at all. Every single one of the dishes I saw where elegant and looked more than delicious. overall it was a wonderful experience and if your looking for something new and a little out of the ordinary I would strongly recommend the Student Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss out on this place!BlackCloudDined on 9/25/2014What a find! I've lived in Omaha for 10 years and never heard of this place. I was looking for something interesting plus special for our 1 year anniversary. I will say we were not disappointed. The menu is very limited and same with the drink selection but put all that aside. It is the experience that counts. The food was great. I had the trout and wife had the chicken. Both dishes were amazing. Our waiter Stanley was incredible. He explained in detail the menu and was very attentive. We were there on a Thursday and the noise level was very low with nice music in the backgroud. I definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sage Student BistroKeystonegirlsDined on 9/24/2014There were 6 in our group. We were very, very impressed with the overall high quality of Sage Student Bistro! Everything was wonderful - it's a beautiful restaurant and the food was just amazing. It's not an expansive list but we all found something we really liked. I can't wait to take my husband. It's a very upscale feel and would be perfect for a date night or a family dinner. Wow, were we impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Best Lamb dishesdmarkiaVIPDined on 9/23/2014Noticed the culinary school listing, and remembered the great meal we had at Kendall College in Chicago. The service started a bit off, the menu was not quite clear, and the wait staff, a mature student, wasn't quite able to explain. And I still don't know what the bread they served was. It was explained a couple different ways (German sour dough, made with butter) Didn't matter, what I ordered was outstanding. The lamb was perfectly cooked, the roasted grapes and pureed root vegetables paired wonderfully.Special Features:
- A Special PlaceLovedItDined on 9/23/2014Great food, great ambience, great service, as long as you're patient with the fact that it's a teaching restaurant where there may be a glitch here and there (I needed to ask for a soup spoon, for instance, but the cauliflower soup was delicate and wonderful).Special Features:
- Creative and satisfying menuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2014We found the food well presented and satisfying. The staff continued to bring out one surprise after another - baskets of bread, little tastes, candies, spritzers. They were very gracious and accommodating when several of our guests arrived late. We were delighted with the quality, service and ambiance. Well beyond expectation.Special Features:
- culinary school excellentBigdDined on 7/10/2014Visited during the fine Dining class' Prix fix menu. Excellent food and excellent service. Very nice meal for a good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeWhtimiswhtugtDined on 7/10/2014My whole experience was amazing...the food was incredible...everyone was so attentive I loved everything about this place...I can't wait till fall so I can share the experience with someone elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experienceGreatAxiomsDined on 7/7/2014My wife and I tried out the Sage Bistro for a date, and we were not disappointed. The food was artistically presented and very delicious. In our opinion the $30 was a great bargain. I really appreciated our talk with one of the chefs (Jarrod Lane), and we found the whole evening relaxing and enjoyable. By far my favorite piece was the rabbit. There was one piece of lighter meat that was wrapped in crispy rabbit bacon, and I have no other word to describe it than exquisite. I approached the meal with some trepidation, since it was part of a school project, but everything was done to perfection.Special Features:
- The prix fixe menu was divinelisa968ksDined on 7/3/2014We had a very large group and were waited on hand - and - foot by our server valerie. Food was spectacular, and so was the presentation. We met with the student chefs and their student manager. Very pleasant. Ambience was quiet and classy. Prices were quite reasonable. Will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeKreJDined on 7/1/2014My boyfriend and I had an amazing dining experience at the Sage Bistro. Kinesha Roach and her partner cooked the prix fixe and it was absolutely divine. The ambiance was simple perfect and everything we ate was pleasing to our pallets. It was a nice date for us and was the first of many prix fixe experiences. We had such a good time he treated me to a prix fixe experience a couple of weeks later at Sullivan's for our birthday. Each time I've eaten at Sage, it is clean, the food is delicious, and the staff is professional. I recommend it to many people on a continual basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 237 reviews are from the Sage Student Bistro - Institute for the Culinary Arts reviews archive.
- true gemsusiecatDined on 6/26/2014The food at Sage Bistro easily equals a "professional" restaurant. We ordered and shared two different appetizers, entrees and desserts, and each was spectacular. I understand that the menu, chefs, and servers all change as the students rotate through their coursework, so perhaps this was luck of the draw for us. We will definitely be back. p.s. don't miss the creme brûlée, if it is available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/14/2014Went there with our book group - food was excellent, as was the service. We all had the prix fix meal and it was great!
- Great ServiceJetwhipDined on 5/13/2014The service was on point and very attentive. The food was cooked wonderfully and I enjoyed each bite. The instructors seem they really care about the students!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little place; upscale dining.kikoDined on 5/12/2014I've never been to this bistro before. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was really impressed by how clean and beautiful the place was. Between each course, the silverware was replaced. It was lovely. And the food was great, too. It was nice to see the students at metro have a chance to show their talent, and it's nice for the customers to be able to come back another time and have different options.Special Features:
- entertainment for out-of-townersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/1/2014Having gone through the fine dining course at Metro, I notice things. I was taught by the best that you always serve the women first and from the left and clear from the right. That didn't happen. Also, the presets were just dropped on the table in front of us instead of placed in their proper places. The standards are lower than the last time I attended. The servers were knowledgeable about the food and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service.CuriousConfusiousDined on 5/1/2014The ambience is fit for special occasions. The service is great and prices are fair. Also, it is a great program that prepare students for the real world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for a Gem?1culinaryfanDined on 4/22/2014If you are looking for a gem you shouldn't miss Metropolitan Community College's Sage Bistro. This restaurant is run by students who have been taught by, and are watched over by some of the best chef/instructors in the United States. The ambiance is quiet and lovely with many windows, opening to an outdoor eating area. The service was impeccable. Explanations of the delicious and beautifully presented Escoffier inspired prix fixe dinner were included with each of the five courses. This made our meal an education, as well as an opportunity to meet some of the students. It was a wonderfully relaxing experience, with enough time between courses not to feel rushed. All in all, Sage Bistro is a valuable find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where students learn from customersbuglerDined on 4/17/2014The wine service was somewhat unsure. The pork entree my wife had 2 styles of pork. The two pieces of pork (same size) were not cooked to the same level of 'doneness'. The cabbage wrapped shredded pork that came with her entree, the shredded pork was dry, not moist. My perogi stuffed with oxtail meat was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPsk10Dined on 4/10/2014Food was awesome, presented very well, unique and very tasty.Special Features:
- eating at schoolcareich2Dined on 4/8/2014different not what I'm used to very good though and surprisingly full when I left the wait staff was very friendlythey were also very informative too another thing that I really liked was that they had beer from a local companybut the best thing that I hadtherewas the desertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Find...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014I loved the atmosphere of the whole dining experience. The goose terrine was amazing. All of the dishes in our party were fantastic. My pork tenderloin with apples and cabbage was very well balanced with flavors and textures. We also loved the coffee cake for dessert. We will definitely be back and cant wait to try some more wonderfully cooked food.Special Features:
- Portions too small and theMichaelDined on 4/2/2014Portions too small and the appetizer was cold. We ordered the bisque with mussels and scallops. The bisque was cold and so were the mussels and scallops. When we mentioned it to the waiter, he returned to say that the chef says that is how it's served. If this was the case, we were not impressed. We spent 80.00 for this experience and returned the appetizers which we were not given credit for and we left hungry and ended up going to M's Pub afterwards. We read the reviews before giving this place a try and we were expecting a not so perfect experience since it was a learning for students, but we didn't expect what we got for the price. We do not recommend this place when you can spend your money on a much better experience elsewhere.
- Service was excellent exceptKD66Dined on 3/27/2014Service was excellent except for reception at the door. No one appeared to be at the door to receive and seat guests at first. After being seated I noticed another guest experiencing the same difficulty. This may be a function of the positioning of the hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First NightgoodfoodDined on 3/24/2014We had a lovely meal with the students doing their best to overcome first night jitters of the new quarter. The food was very good and we loved being a part of the education of the students. We hope to return at the end of the quarter when everyone has perfected their roles. We love to see young people become confident in what they love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dining experienceSuzyQDined on 2/20/2014I have been to sage for lunch, but this was my first dinner experience. The presentation was spectacular, and the favors matched the presentation. The menu is always changing. My only two complaints were that service was slow and the server didn't thoroughly explain the dishes. My sister is gluten free, and they were very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omaha's Hidden Gem!futurenurseDined on 2/17/2014Very few people know about Sage Bistro. My friend recommended it to me and my husband and I had out delayed Valentine's Day dinner there. We both had an absolutely amazing experience! Quality, taste, and price of food was outstanding. The service and the atmosphere were great! We both enjoyed dining out at Sage Bistro very much. Definitely coming back and recommending to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On a par with the bestKenMDined on 2/13/2014I've had lunch at the Sage Bistro numerous times, so I knew dinner would be good, but our experience on February 13th far exceeded expectations. From the sweet salty oyster amuse bouche to the light herbaceous salad contrasted with foie gras and goat cheese to a spectacular artichoke ravioli to perfectly cooked lamb two ways to a strawberry shortcake thingy that had the cleanest, most intense strawberry flavor I've ever had, not to mention the delightful lagniappes of an intermezzo and candies, these eats were just terrific. I was once a restaurant critic and my wife and I travel and eat out a lot. This meal ranks with the best. Look out Grey Plume and Boiler Room, they're coming for you. A bargain at twice the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Diner67CountryDined on 2/13/2014Wife had the trout. Was not turned on by the head attached. Students diner had the chop and sauce was tangy for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Short Rib was the mostOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014The Short Rib was the most dissapointing dish. It was dry, poor texture, lack of flavor. Definitely not expecting it to be ground ribs. The duck was excellent. Those that ordered the pork and beans found it good, but nothing particularly outstanding about it. Two of the four couples had been to lunch the same week and raved about the food they had. They were particularly disappointed in the the dinner. We will try lunch next time. Will probably try dinner once more next semester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuckOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/19/2013I had duck for the first time and it was delicious. Overall, simply a great experience. Lastly, the desserts were great as well as the small complimentary dishes that came by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasure!anonymousDined on 12/17/2013If you've never dined at a culinary school you've missed a treat! The food is not only delicious but beautifully presented and perfectly served by young chefs who take great pride in their work! Try it. You'll love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.