Sage Student Bistro - Institute for the Culinary Arts
5730 North 30th street Building 22
Omaha, NE 68111Neighborhood:
Downtown / Old Market
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sage Student Bistro - Institute for the Culinary Arts
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://resource.mccneb.edu/Bistro/
- Phone: 4024572321
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Reservations accepted: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Oystein Solberg/Tim O'Donnell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sage Student Bistro - Institute for the Culinary Arts
Sage Student Bistro is a student run operation that runs concurrently with the school quarter.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sage Student Bistro - Institute for the Culinary Arts reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (7)special occasion (6)great for lunch (6)romantic (5)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- culinary school excellentBigdDined on 7/10/2014Visited during the fine Dining class' Prix fix menu. Excellent food and excellent service. Very nice meal for a good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeWhtimiswhtugtDined on 7/10/2014My whole experience was amazing...the food was incredible...everyone was so attentive I loved everything about this place...I can't wait till fall so I can share the experience with someone elseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experienceGreatAxiomsDined on 7/7/2014My wife and I tried out the Sage Bistro for a date, and we were not disappointed. The food was artistically presented and very delicious. In our opinion the $30 was a great bargain. I really appreciated our talk with one of the chefs (Jarrod Lane), and we found the whole evening relaxing and enjoyable. By far my favorite piece was the rabbit. There was one piece of lighter meat that was wrapped in crispy rabbit bacon, and I have no other word to describe it than exquisite. I approached the meal with some trepidation, since it was part of a school project, but everything was done to perfection.Special Features:
- The prix fixe menu was divinelisa968ksDined on 7/3/2014We had a very large group and were waited on hand - and - foot by our server valerie. Food was spectacular, and so was the presentation. We met with the student chefs and their student manager. Very pleasant. Ambience was quiet and classy. Prices were quite reasonable. Will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeKreJDined on 7/1/2014My boyfriend and I had an amazing dining experience at the Sage Bistro. Kinesha Roach and her partner cooked the prix fixe and it was absolutely divine. The ambiance was simple perfect and everything we ate was pleasing to our pallets. It was a nice date for us and was the first of many prix fixe experiences. We had such a good time he treated me to a prix fixe experience a couple of weeks later at Sullivan's for our birthday. Each time I've eaten at Sage, it is clean, the food is delicious, and the staff is professional. I recommend it to many people on a continual basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- true gemsusiecatDined on 6/26/2014The food at Sage Bistro easily equals a "professional" restaurant. We ordered and shared two different appetizers, entrees and desserts, and each was spectacular. I understand that the menu, chefs, and servers all change as the students rotate through their coursework, so perhaps this was luck of the draw for us. We will definitely be back. p.s. don't miss the creme brûlée, if it is available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 236 reviews are from the Sage Student Bistro - Institute for the Culinary Arts reviews archive.
- Loved the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/14/2014Went there with our book group - food was excellent, as was the service. We all had the prix fix meal and it was great!
- Great ServiceJetwhipDined on 5/13/2014The service was on point and very attentive. The food was cooked wonderfully and I enjoyed each bite. The instructors seem they really care about the students!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little place; upscale dining.kikoDined on 5/12/2014I've never been to this bistro before. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was really impressed by how clean and beautiful the place was. Between each course, the silverware was replaced. It was lovely. And the food was great, too. It was nice to see the students at metro have a chance to show their talent, and it's nice for the customers to be able to come back another time and have different options.Special Features:
- entertainment for out-of-townersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/1/2014Having gone through the fine dining course at Metro, I notice things. I was taught by the best that you always serve the women first and from the left and clear from the right. That didn't happen. Also, the presets were just dropped on the table in front of us instead of placed in their proper places. The standards are lower than the last time I attended. The servers were knowledgeable about the food and it was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service.CuriousConfusiousDined on 5/1/2014The ambience is fit for special occasions. The service is great and prices are fair. Also, it is a great program that prepare students for the real world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for a Gem?1culinaryfanDined on 4/22/2014If you are looking for a gem you shouldn't miss Metropolitan Community College's Sage Bistro. This restaurant is run by students who have been taught by, and are watched over by some of the best chef/instructors in the United States. The ambiance is quiet and lovely with many windows, opening to an outdoor eating area. The service was impeccable. Explanations of the delicious and beautifully presented Escoffier inspired prix fixe dinner were included with each of the five courses. This made our meal an education, as well as an opportunity to meet some of the students. It was a wonderfully relaxing experience, with enough time between courses not to feel rushed. All in all, Sage Bistro is a valuable find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where students learn from customersbuglerDined on 4/17/2014The wine service was somewhat unsure. The pork entree my wife had 2 styles of pork. The two pieces of pork (same size) were not cooked to the same level of 'doneness'. The cabbage wrapped shredded pork that came with her entree, the shredded pork was dry, not moist. My perogi stuffed with oxtail meat was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPsk10Dined on 4/10/2014Food was awesome, presented very well, unique and very tasty.Special Features:
- eating at schoolcareich2Dined on 4/8/2014different not what I'm used to very good though and surprisingly full when I left the wait staff was very friendlythey were also very informative too another thing that I really liked was that they had beer from a local companybut the best thing that I hadtherewas the desertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Find...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/2/2014I loved the atmosphere of the whole dining experience. The goose terrine was amazing. All of the dishes in our party were fantastic. My pork tenderloin with apples and cabbage was very well balanced with flavors and textures. We also loved the coffee cake for dessert. We will definitely be back and cant wait to try some more wonderfully cooked food.Special Features:
- Portions too small and theMichaelDined on 4/2/2014Portions too small and the appetizer was cold. We ordered the bisque with mussels and scallops. The bisque was cold and so were the mussels and scallops. When we mentioned it to the waiter, he returned to say that the chef says that is how it's served. If this was the case, we were not impressed. We spent 80.00 for this experience and returned the appetizers which we were not given credit for and we left hungry and ended up going to M's Pub afterwards. We read the reviews before giving this place a try and we were expecting a not so perfect experience since it was a learning for students, but we didn't expect what we got for the price. We do not recommend this place when you can spend your money on a much better experience elsewhere.
- Service was excellent exceptKD66Dined on 3/27/2014Service was excellent except for reception at the door. No one appeared to be at the door to receive and seat guests at first. After being seated I noticed another guest experiencing the same difficulty. This may be a function of the positioning of the hostess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First NightgoodfoodDined on 3/24/2014We had a lovely meal with the students doing their best to overcome first night jitters of the new quarter. The food was very good and we loved being a part of the education of the students. We hope to return at the end of the quarter when everyone has perfected their roles. We love to see young people become confident in what they love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun dining experienceSuzyQDined on 2/20/2014I have been to sage for lunch, but this was my first dinner experience. The presentation was spectacular, and the favors matched the presentation. The menu is always changing. My only two complaints were that service was slow and the server didn't thoroughly explain the dishes. My sister is gluten free, and they were very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omaha's Hidden Gem!futurenurseDined on 2/17/2014Very few people know about Sage Bistro. My friend recommended it to me and my husband and I had out delayed Valentine's Day dinner there. We both had an absolutely amazing experience! Quality, taste, and price of food was outstanding. The service and the atmosphere were great! We both enjoyed dining out at Sage Bistro very much. Definitely coming back and recommending to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On a par with the bestKenMDined on 2/13/2014I've had lunch at the Sage Bistro numerous times, so I knew dinner would be good, but our experience on February 13th far exceeded expectations. From the sweet salty oyster amuse bouche to the light herbaceous salad contrasted with foie gras and goat cheese to a spectacular artichoke ravioli to perfectly cooked lamb two ways to a strawberry shortcake thingy that had the cleanest, most intense strawberry flavor I've ever had, not to mention the delightful lagniappes of an intermezzo and candies, these eats were just terrific. I was once a restaurant critic and my wife and I travel and eat out a lot. This meal ranks with the best. Look out Grey Plume and Boiler Room, they're coming for you. A bargain at twice the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Diner67CountryDined on 2/13/2014Wife had the trout. Was not turned on by the head attached. Students diner had the chop and sauce was tangy for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Short Rib was the mostOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014The Short Rib was the most dissapointing dish. It was dry, poor texture, lack of flavor. Definitely not expecting it to be ground ribs. The duck was excellent. Those that ordered the pork and beans found it good, but nothing particularly outstanding about it. Two of the four couples had been to lunch the same week and raved about the food they had. They were particularly disappointed in the the dinner. We will try lunch next time. Will probably try dinner once more next semester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DuckOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/19/2013I had duck for the first time and it was delicious. Overall, simply a great experience. Lastly, the desserts were great as well as the small complimentary dishes that came by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasure!anonymousDined on 12/17/2013If you've never dined at a culinary school you've missed a treat! The food is not only delicious but beautifully presented and perfectly served by young chefs who take great pride in their work! Try it. You'll love itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uh.May.Zing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/16/2013I came with three of my friends for a birthday celebration. The facility is beautiful, the staff was very professional and friendly and the food was outstanding. I have eaten in some of the best restaurants in the country (Avec in Chicago, The French Laundry in the Napa Valley) and Sage Student Bistro is right up there with the best of them. The flavors were incredible, the presentation beautiful and the overall experience was wonderful. I will recommend this to anyone looking for a unique dining experience in Omaha and I will be coming back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experience allwanderer13Dined on 11/7/2013A wonderful experience all around. It won't be the last time . . .Special Features:
- always learningbuglerDined on 11/6/2013Both the staff and the guest can learn at this restaurant/school. Just watching the staff being taught tableside by an instructor on how to decant wine, can teach the guest a few things. While the food is always good, and presentation can be be seen as creative/fresh, it seems the plates are just barely warm. If you get talking to a table companion, or one person plate is coming out slower than the rest of the table, the hot food could always be served warmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining Experience JoyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2013The Sage Student Bistro is simply an overall exceptional dining experience! When you are seated in this well designed modern space, I challenge you to recognize it as a culinary learning environment on a community college campus. In short, the food was very tasty, exceptionally presented, and effectively portioned. The service was timely, efficient, pleasant, and above all - not snooty! The wine list is small but ample. Other restaurants could learn a thing or three. What is going on here is fantastic. The city of Omaha is lucky to have this place. Bravo to the students and to the teaching team. If you call yourself a foodie, this is your next place. I will indeed return again - and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will be amazed!JaniceDined on 11/4/2013A great neighborhood find with good food and class!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The MCC culinary studentsSpikeDined on 10/30/2013The MCC culinary students do a great job. I usually have the prix fixe. Portions are small so you don't feel stuffed. Wine list is short but I have always found a wine I liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was just a pleasant relaxingVivienneDined on 10/17/2013It was just a pleasant relaxing restaurant. Our waiter was a very nice young man. I wish him all the luck in the world for his future. The food was great. I came away very full and satisfiedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Sage Student BistroJousieDined on 10/17/2013There were 8 in our group and we loved the quiet homey atmosphere. Food was divine and the experience supperb. Food was so much fun to try many different taste and different presentations. We loved every minute of our time together and the personal attention we were given and the beautiful grounds outside with the lovely herbs draping over the walls. Cannot wait to do out door dining as the setting is perfect and so welcoming. Staff was lovely and so enduring, waited on it hand and foot and I am recommending it to many and already have and will continue. Plan to get back there for lunch very soon. It is a long ways for us to drive, about 30 minutes but the drive is worth it. Thank you so very much, we will come again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service and food!Aldee257Dined on 10/14/2013Outstanding service and food! It was a magical night. The Student chefs did a wonderful job. Our waitress was attentive without being overbearing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal, Great priceBigDDined on 10/14/2013Excellent experience for a culinary school cafe staffed by students in the dining room and the kitchen. The food was as good as a couple high end places in town and much better than many others. The lamb was grilled perfectly, nice rare as ordered with a good sear that gave it a nice bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!JaniceDined on 10/14/2013This restaurant is awesome! What a wonderful marriage to focus on the students crafting their skills and the customer experiencing a meal "fit for a king"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd eat here again.AMFoxDined on 10/7/2013The food was fantastic!! I wasn't expecting the experience that I had, but loved every minute of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningSnobbySDined on 10/3/2013Been a long time since fine dining was in North Omaha. Just a couple of blocks west of the old Mr C's.Even though all the staff are student of metro this place gets high marks for the food, service and overall experience. A neighborhood gem and a great springboard for future Omaha hospitality professionals.Special Features:
- Set my bar to high.Stevea78Dined on 10/2/2013Where was the seasoning. The palate enhancements were amazing. The dessert was amazing. The local beer I had was amazing with a slice of orange. My friend had the lamb which was absolutely terrific. everything on the plate was great. Where the other three at the table had chicken and it just fell flat. All in all the Atmosphere is quiet and romantic, the plating and drink selection is great and I definitely recommend all desserts. Just wonderful, but seriously don't get chicken if you are looking to be amazed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.