Sage Restaurant - Tallahassee
3534 Maclay Blvd S
Tallahassee, FL 32312Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sage Restaurant - Tallahassee
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sagetallahassee.com/about.html
- Phone: (850) 270-9396
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm (Walk-in Only)
Lunch: Tuesday-Saturday 11:00am -3:00pm;
Dinner: Tuesday-Saturday 6:00pm -10:00pm
In order to ensure a high standard of food and service for all of our patrons:
Sage can only accept parties of eight or fewer for dinner service.
Reservations may be made no more than 30 days from the dining date.
Patio seating cannot be confirmed until 24 hours before the dining date or when weather patterns become clear, tables will be reserved in the dining room until that time.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Terry White
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sage Restaurant - Tallahassee
The CONCEPT behind Sage is to offer a wide range of freshly prepared, made-from-scratch foods at good value with excellent, knowledgeable service in a casual environment.Continued
Our MISSION is to serve the best food, give the best service, and offer a friendly atmosphere for our guests and employees.
Our MISSION is to serve the best food, give the best service, and offer a friendly atmosphere for our guests and employees.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Sage Restaurant - Tallahassee - Best Restaurants in Tallahassee ›
Sage Restaurant - Tallahassee reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)special occasion (55)neighborhood gem (51)great for lunch (39)notable wine list (39)great for outdoor dining (36)romantic (34)great for brunch (21)hot spot (8)good for groups (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Not quite excellentRota67Dined on 11/22/2014Visiting from out of town, I used Trip Advisor to suggest eating at Sage with my Tallahassee cousins. Our lunch Sat. was very good. The homemade potato chips were decadent and tasty. My tomato soup was good, but not hot. I had the Salad Nicoise, and others had quiche, crab cakes, and chicken/mushroom crepes. I had two glasses of champagne and a cappucinno, then the 5 of us shared a yummy piece of chocolate cake for dessert. We all enjoyed our lunch on a chilly rainy day.However, we ate at Sage again the next day for Sunday brunch, and my meal was a huge disappointment. The onion soup was not hot, and didn't have much flavor. The cheese should have been something flavorful, like gruyere or asiago. I ordered a spinach mushroom omelet, which came with diced red potatoes and some cut up fruit. It was one of the worst omelets I've ever had. Again, tasteless eggs, a few tablespoons of spinach, and not one mushroom-only more globby tasteless cheese. The potatoes were not seasoned, and the fruit was just apples. My husband said his quiche and small salad was good, and our friends liked their crab cakes and burger. The pumpkin cheese cake was good. The servers both days were very friendly and efficient. They need to redo the recipe for the onion soup, get some expensive cheese, serve all soup HOT,and completely redo the way they make omelets.Special Features:
- Fabulous !SherylDined on 11/14/2014Wonderful food, great staff, fun place to eat! Best place in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/12/2014The service was excellent and attentive. The food was prepared as requested and delicious. The chef has great skill in blending spices to perfection, even some that on the menu sound as if they might not blend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable sophisticationChuckmeisterDined on 11/8/2014We had three out of four different dinner selections, and each said it was the best. And, the couple who ordered the same pheasant plates, liked theirs for separate reasons. Service was prompt, attentive and cordial even extending in to her eventually busier packed house responsibilities. No one wanted dessert, but gave in to our waitress' descriptions of the ice cream selections and regretted not ordering more than the one-scoop sizes we did. Ambiance invites you, the food keeps you, and the experience entices you to return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/7/2014This was treat for my wife's birthday. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfinderVIPDined on 11/7/2014We had another delicious meal at Sage! LIVE deviled egg appetizer! Also had salmon & shrimp & scallop entrees perfectly cooked!! Great bottle of Albarino! We will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb food, excellent serviceRGinTallyVIPDined on 11/7/2014Another great lunch sitting on the shady patio screened by Banana shrubs and sipping wine with a great chopped salad topped by pieces of sirloin. Sage just keeps getting better. The favorite restaurant of my wife and I. Upscale bistro with great food, excellent service, and great wine. Usually very busy so reservations are wise. Lots of free parking.Special Features:
- 25th Anniversary DinnerCSBJrDined on 11/4/2014Outstanding everything. We had sweetbreads-amazing-best ever; Triple Tail was perfection, Beet Citrus Salad perfect blend; pork tenderloin not to be forgotten!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerMustEatDined on 11/1/2014Sage is one of our favorite restaurants and one of the best in Tallahassee for fine dining. We had a special Birthday dinner and a party of 6. Everyone was very pleased with their meal. We hadn't been in a while and were pleasantly surprised to see the wine list had added Napa Valley Cabernets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but misinformed by serverSteveDined on 10/31/2014Entire experience was nice, but server convinced me that the special was in fact beef tenderloin when it wasn't. It was a fairly well prepared strip steak but with bone and gristle. Very disappointed as I explained I was looking forward to the beef tenderloin but was swayed by the servers description of the special. Twice I was told it was tenderloin. I'm not a food expert, but I doubt that was in any way a beef tenderloin... Otherwise, we were very pleased with the dining experience and the food/drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sound of (no) MusicCattleFearMeDined on 10/28/2014The location is great. The food and service is wonderful. The only thing missing at Sage is music. There is none. You get to hear the rehashing of their days by your fellow eaters, the not so dulcet tones wafting from the other tables. At a volume that would be quite diminished if there was some sound coming forth of the musical type. Control your environment and set the table (no pun intended) for the experience that you want us to have. Pick a style that fits the ambiance you want for Sage and have it playing quietly in the background. Then maybe diners won't feel the need to fill that space with cacophony for you.Special Features:
- disappointeddineoftenVIPDined on 10/25/2014very cute atmosphere. Wine list does not have well known wines. Took 15 minutes to get a server, 30 minutes to get wine. I think it was just our server that was not good. Other servers were attentive to their tables. My fish dish was very salty. My husbands steak was beyond rare. I will not be returning.
- FootsDined on 10/21/2014Food was excellent! Wine superb. Service top-notch! Can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to return!foodieDined on 10/11/2014This restaurant serves really excellent food. The menu is interesting and the desserts excellent. I can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointing eveningPutthefeedbagonDined on 10/10/2014The wine was good although a little expensive. The rest of the meal was a major disappointment. The service was slow, and the food took much too long to arrive. Three of the four diners were not happy with their meals. The consensus was, overpriced and undervalued, and no need to return.Special Features:
- Inconsistent food & long waitGApeachDined on 10/4/2014Once we ordered it took forever for our food to arrive. The hostess did not even come by & apologize for the delay or anyone else. When my sons beef tenderloin arrived it was rare and he ordered it med. We had to send it back. He had also ordered the bean soup which he was not impressed with. Said it didn't have much flavor. My husbands osso buco was nothing that he has ever had. He couldn't figure out what everything was & said the veal did not fall off the bone like he has always had. There was also some kind of meat that was under cooked. He left half the dish remaining. My salmon, however, was the best dish there. It was moist & flavorful. For the price & value unfortunately we will not return.Special Features:
- Best in TallahasseeYumyumDined on 10/4/2014During Parents Weekend for FSU this year we discoved this gem of a Restaruant. It is without a doubt the best meal I have had in months. My daughter said every bite was "perfect". From the flat bread to the crepe it was all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not during parents weekend!DeliciousDinnerDined on 10/3/2014seated at 7:15. Dinner served at 8:30 + COLD/with an attitude! We left at 9:45 pm. Taste and choices were interesting, but service awful. Expensive+$30 entree x 4 of us, for poorly run kitchenSpecial Features:
- Great place.RobinsueDined on 10/2/2014I ate here twice last week and enjoyed both lunches tremendously. The lunch specials are always excellent and very creative. The chef does a great job with seafood. We ate outside one day and it was beautiful.Special Features:
- New Tallahassee favoriteCandietravelsdotcomDined on 9/27/2014Why have I waited so long to come here? Sage is above and beyond other local restaurants. Food was incredible. I am still thinking about the escargot and banana cheesecake. Great wine list. Attentive service. Only complaint would be that my in laws had trouble reading the menu in the dim lighting. My husband and I will definitely be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sage Restaurantlisa28Dined on 9/25/2014I rarely go out alone to a restaurant, but was in Tallahassee on business and decided to take a chance on Sage as the menu online looked fabulous. The restaurant is divided into three cozy sections, including an inviting outdoor patio. I was seated in the front area which is nicely arranged to allow for single diners. I am not a vegetarian, but the description of the vegetable pan stew sounded too good to pass on. It was amazing! Everything was delicious and so fresh. Fabulous, extensive wine list with numerous by-the-glass offerings. Service was spot on perfect---attentive without being intrusive and made being there by myself completely comfortable and enjoyable.Special Features:
- Always a DelightLHSADined on 9/18/2014You will never be disappointed with a meal at Sage. I know I never have. Everything from food to service to ambience is top notch.Special Features:
- Best Soup and ServiceKimberleYBVIPDined on 9/17/2014What a surprise to have the marvelous grill cheese with my wonderful soup. I enjoyed the wine flight, the attentive service was amazing. Everything on the menu seemed wonderful and I could hardly choose. Finally I got the medallions and ate every bit. The chef selected vegetables was outstanding. I was dining by myself and they made me feel very welcome, just the right amount of "do you have everything conversation". I will definitely return on any subsequent visits to Tallahassee.Special Features:
- lassielassieDined on 9/16/2014I love this restaurant. The food is consistently amazing and the presentation is inviting. I prefer to go to restaurants where I can order lots of things that I wouldn't (make that couldn't) cook at home. Sage meets this preference. It is fun just to read the menu, of course it makes it hard to select an entree' but that's an easy price to pay.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Outstanding!ClassyfoodVIPDined on 9/16/2014Sage is consistently outstanding! The service, food and atmosphere are impeccable. This is by far the BEST restaurant in Tallahassee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodfinderVIPDined on 9/13/2014Really enjoyed our dinner here! Had the escargot & cobia conservative appetizers, nice bottle of Italian Pinot Grigio, filet & salmon entrees with peach cobbler & port for dessert. Great service, food, & wine! Would definitely return again for lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great b-day luncheeyore13Dined on 9/13/2014Perfect place for a Saturday lunch. It was my b-day and we told our server. It would have been nice to get a free dessert.Special Features:
- Fine food in a relaxed environmentopus69Dined on 9/13/2014Some of the best food you will find anywhere. An epicurean's delight with service to match. Knowledgeable and helpful wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- saspjgDined on 8/27/2014The food and service were very good. The.y also accommodated our special requestsSpecial Features:
- coastaldoryDined on 8/21/2014Very very good food. Mostly good service, just slow, don't go when you are in a hurry. I eat there quite often because the food is so good.Special Features:
- Ironwood Reviews SageIronwoodDined on 8/20/2014This is a great place for lunch and dinner as well! The food is excellent and the menu offers many choices! The quiches are outstanding...the consistency of a delicate egg custard. And then there's dessert. .the flourless chocolate cake is the most delicious dessert I have ever eaten!! I always ask the waiter to hold a piece for me when I place my order. Go there and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT Seafood!!!FishchickDined on 8/19/2014Party of three tried the barbecued shrimp, crab cakes, salmon with olives and quinoa and seafood pasta. Everything was extremely good and cooked to perfection. We wanted to try Chef Terry's food due to his seafood credentials winning the National Seafood Cook-Off. We were very pleased with our meal. Traveled from Atlanta just to try Chef Terry's food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- farmertotableDined on 8/15/2014My father's 60th birthday celebrations began with dinner at Sage. The food was outstanding and the service very professional and pleasant. It was my husband's first experience at Sage - and we will definitely return sometime in the near future!Special Features:
- Frank's ThoughtsJustabrowsinDined on 8/9/2014My date and I were greated warmly and personably as we entered. Our waitress was extremely attentive, and the timing of her serving our beginnings, salad, and entree couldn't have been better. As for the food itself, I can only say "my compliments" to the chef. From the Escargot, to the summer fruit salad, and finally the shrimp and scallops over lingquini, had my palate singing. Excellent!!!Special Features:
- Best fine dining in TallahasseeTallyFoodieDined on 8/8/2014Inventive, refined, and sophisticated, Sage is unrivaled as Tallahassee's best restaurant. The food is subtle and delicate, and the portions, civilized (in a town that sometimes feels it has to bury the plate beneath a mountain of food in order to justify its prices). The physical space is elegant without being pretentious. The artwork is smart. The wine list is carefully chosen. In short, this is where you go to eat when you want a transcendent food experience. Tallahassee residents and visitors are extremely lucky to have a restaurant like this in town.Special Features:
- Amazing Foodnavi8orDined on 8/8/2014This was everything we expected and more. The service was exceptional, the staff was extremely knowledgeable about the food and wine selections, and the food was prepared to order. Everything we ordered was excellent; the rack of lamb was perfectly cooked to my requested doneness, my wife's scallops and shrimp were perfectly cooked, and the escargot appetizer was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014VERY PLESENT EVE, GREAT FOOD, SERVICE, AND FRIENDLY OWNER. ON OUR LIST TO ATTEND AGAIN SOON.Special Features:
- King of Seafood reigns at SagetalhartmanVIPDined on 8/7/2014When Terry White was selected as the Top American Seafood Chef (competing in the Great American Seafood Cook-Off last Saturday in New Orleans ) it was not a surprise to his loyal fans at Sage. Terry does magical things with all kinds of seafood and the rest of the menu is equally pleasing. I had the pleasure of eating the prize-winning cobia dish on Thursday. No wonder the judges were "reeled in". The flavors pop and are a delightful combination. Terry's sous chef in the competition was Ginna Raymer, Sage's CIA-trained pastry chef. Find a spot of room to taste one of her sweet endings for a truly memorable meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful Food Terrible ServicecoastaldoryDined on 8/7/2014Food was wonderful as always, service was terrible, when normally it is good. Will I go back - yes but I may not take friends I am trying to give a great Tallahassee experience to next time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Just a fabulous restaurant! As I told the server, though, I do wish they would use grassfed beef for the burger, as I'd love to order it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 220 reviews are from the Sage Restaurant - Tallahassee reviews archive.