Sage - A Plant Based Bistro
4130 Sepulveda Blvd
Culver City, CA 90230Neighborhood:
VeganPrice: $30 and under
Sage - A Plant Based Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: www. sageveganbistro.com
- Phone: (424) 228-5835
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 12:00am
Daily: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mollie Engelhart
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Entertainment: Live music residencies on Thursday and Sunday nights
A word from Sage - A Plant Based Bistro
Sage A Plant Based Bistro and Beer garden is the first restaurant of its kind offering food that vegans and omnivores alike agree is delicious and addictive! Whether you're looking for a place to have a pizza and a beer, a romantic outdoor spot for a date or lively environment for a large party, Sage offers it all. Also featuring Kindkreme, the organic, gluten-free icekreme and dessert shop and 24 craft and organic beers on tap - Sage is the perfect blend of good for you, good for the environment and super good tasting!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Sage - A Plant Based Bistro - Best Restaurants in Culver City ›
Sage - A Plant Based Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (17)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (13)great for lunch (12)neighborhood gem (10)kid-friendly (5)special occasion (5)great for brunch (3)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Sage is fabulous!LoveDowntownDined on 11/14/2014Who knew that vegan food could taste so good? I insist on eating at Sage every time I visit LA and I usually order the Brazilian Bowl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite restaurants!DarstcoachVIPDined on 10/24/2014If you're someone who enjoys eating vegetarian or vegan, this is the place! It's interesting and eclectic, and has a wide variety delicious options to choose from. They even offer gluten-free beer!Special Features:
- So lovely!MicheleDined on 10/18/2014I'm not vegan (I love my cheese!) - so I was a little apprehensive about a fully vegan dining experience...but have been wanting to try Sage since it's right in my neighborhood. We had a large group (12) and the outside long tables were perfect for us. The patio is great and feels very secluded, and the food was so good! Had one of the best mojitos I've ever had, and everyone really enjoyed! I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Fantastic food and setting and the service was great. The jackfruit nachos are amazing, a must try for any vegan food naysayer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PatioOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/18/2014decor and outside patio rock - but this is not a furniture store; its a restaurant, but I have to say those items were the best of sage. I went on a monday after work 5:45 with a few friends. we had a reservation so we were seated right away. waitress offered happy hour specials which was nice since it ends at 6pm. we ordered and food was brought in a decent amount of time, well that was the last time we saw our waitress. the food was mediocre, drinks ok.Special Features:
- Food was greatbcourtreviews2014333333Dined on 9/14/2014Food was great and it was so easy to make the reservation. Love this restaurant for not only the food but ambiance as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious VeganSunflowerDined on 9/7/2014Yummy "Buffalo Wings" made out of cauliflower - I'm from Buffalo and am picky about wings but these are actually excellent! The pesto pasta dish with kale was very tasty - the favorite main dish for many of Sage regulars. Great spot to eat even if you aren't vegan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/27/2014Sage makes plant-based food sing. We have been here multiple times and every dish has been memorable. The menu is so extensive, it can be a task to figure out choices, but it is worth the time and effort and you will never be bored. Top notch. Only one aggravation - the seating leaves a lot to be desired - whoever thought metal benches and picnic tables really only suited to children and bar stools so heavy they are hard to pull in and out were a good idea didn't use them first.Special Features:
- The following 22 reviews are from the Sage - A Plant Based Bistro reviews archive.
- Haven for Vegetarians and AllNYvisitorDined on 7/15/2014Great menu with interesting dish combos. Food delicious. Gluten-free options - yay! All vegetarian, but even non-veggies should enjoy this terrific food. Nice outdoor patio, airy and comfortable. Great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Vegan!DarstcoachVIPDined on 7/12/2014Sage is a fabulous addition to the Vegetarian/Vegan landscape of Culver City. The atmosphere is eclectic & casual. They have a huge beer list. Try the Eel River Blonde. And try one of the Bowls. Terrific!Special Features:
- Sage vegan bistro reviewLuv2dineDined on 7/3/2014Overall the food was delicious and I loved the fact that they have a variety of vegan ice cream to try. The have music every Thursday night and the music was great. The only complaint I have is that it was really hot inside the restaurant I'm not sure if their central AC was not working but my party got there around 7:40 and although it was the evening it was very hot outside. I thought it might have been a better Idea to sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just rude!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/28/2014My dad is eating vegetarian due to health reasons so for my parent's 40th wedding anniversary I thought I'd take them to this vegan restaurant. I've been here a couple times and had good experiences. For dessert we were told to go pickout and sample the icecream at the front and order there. My parents don't go out much and I wanted to make sure my parents didn't feel out of place. The guy serving icecream lectured my mom that she was doing it wrong and told her to go sit back down and order from the waiter. We then waited for 20 minutes and I had to check in with the waiter a couple times on her order. We should have just left...
- Rustic and delich!DarstcoachVIPDined on 6/7/2014If you are a vegetarian or vegan (like I am) you are going to LOVE the food here…and the beer! The butternut squash ravioli is top of my list right now. They also have several gluten-free options. The place is casual and rustic, so don't dress up. Eating outdoors is fun, but most of the seating is not very comfortable.Special Features:
- Vegan for even the non vegan.BoboVIPDined on 6/7/2014My wife is a vegetarian and I'm an omnivore, but we both enjoyed our meal. The highlights were the street tacos, cashew alfredo, and the California pesto burger. My biggest disappointment was that they use a lot of dill, an herb I don't like. The presentation of the food was beautiful, the flavors were very well crafted, and the whole experience was good. Our server was friendly and gave us all the time we needed to work through the menu, which was somewhat alien to me and gave my wife many more choices than she's used to. The KindKreme ice cream (with cashew, almond, and coconut bases) was quite good, and they'll happily let you taste any of the flavors. We'll definitely be back. Jackfruit nachos are in my future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice eveningluvhealthyfoodDined on 6/2/2014I have always liked the food at Sage in CC, but the service has been iffy. Usually we have spent too much time wondering where our server went, when the meal is coming, etc. and have sometimes seen several servers standing around chatting with each other and seeming to be not very interested in the customers. NOT THIS TIME, however. The food was great and the server was courteous, available, and responsive (and for that we tipped generously). However, although I had a reservation, the person at the entrance seated us separately even though we had each announced the reservation name when we arrived 15 minutes apart. We were each sitting at separate tables in different sections, waiting for each other, until we texted each other.Special Features:
- Gorgeous patio and SUPER TASTY!sheemzDined on 5/16/2014I have been to both Sage locations, and I love the Culver City location because the patio is really cute. We went for a friends birthday and it was a perfect venue for a group dinner because of the gorgeous outdoor seating, awesome drink selection, and so many tasty appetizers to share. I am the type of person who is into vegan and healthy foods, but what I love about Sage is that it doesn't feel like a healthy vegan restaurant. It's just straight up yummy! Definitely a good foodie spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Vegan Food for AllDDthextonDined on 5/12/2014Delectable, expertly prepared gourmet vegan meals! Our group of six shared several appetizers that were all fabulous and our entrees were all delicious. Great variety of traditional and contemporary cocktails. Service was kind of slow - we had to wait and repeatedly flag down our waiter whenever we wanted anything. Restaurant was very busy, though, so perhaps they were unprepared for a packed house on a Monday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food bad service this timemixedDined on 5/11/2014I go to this restaurant all the time. I usually have a great experience but this was supposed to be a special occasion for my wife. I was out with my wife and 3 children and the waiter didn't bring my food and my youngest daughter. We had to look at everyone eat their food while we waited for ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BummerwundrlandVIPDined on 5/11/2014Problems: chaotic check-in process; poor customer service for check-in; servers delivering food to the wrong table; servers messing up order; waitress sitting around; super long wait for food; food lukewarm upon arrival; horrible customer service at ice cream counter - server should acknowledge customer presence even if she is with another customer; didn't credit me for my reservation through Open Table so I had to deal with that, too. Good things: cider on tap; friendly waitress Food specifics: Although it was rather ugly, the butternut squash ravioli was decent - but not amazing. The caprese pizza was rather bland. Overall: Bad customer service and very disorganized staff. Unfortunately, the food doesn't make up for it, either.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014We went for a birthday dinner and noted that on my Open Table reservation. We were stuck in a corner booth that servers rarely paid attention to, were seated without utensils, and asked for water in to-go cups for my kids, which didn't arrive. The food came before any utensils or beverages. I got my own utensils and water cups myself. The kids' meals were average but the potato chips were bland, cold, and rubbery. Our waitress forgot everything we asked for and rarely came to our table. We waited to order a dessert to celebrate a birthday but our server never came back and, after waiting 40 minutes, we left without enjoying dessert. It was also Mother's Day and they were not prepared for that crowd. Won't return for dinner or celebrations.Special Features:
- Delicious, But Not So Good ServiceVeganFoodieDined on 5/11/2014We went here for brunch after my graduation ceremony. I took my parents who are not vegan at all. The food, beer and cocktails were delicious!! We had: Mole burrito Biscuits &gravy Chimichanga appetizer A pizza with buckwheat crust A few beers (all were very good) The ginger mint julip cocktail Service was very slow and although I made a reservation almost a week in advance through Open Table, there was not a table reserved for us when we arrived. If we would have had to wait, I would not have been pleased, but luckily there was an open spot for us. We also accidentally saw that the people before us did not leave a tip on their bill...another red flag about the quality of service...luckily their food and drinks are so delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem In The RoughmattDined on 5/11/2014The array for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or just "ice cream" is something to behold and executed with panache. What immediately detracts however is a waitstaff of knuckleheads who undercut the joy of this experience with total ineptitude. When we went for Mother's Day brunch the place seemed overwhelmed by the onslaught. We were sat as per our reservation time with a timely hello from the waiter, who gave us the special: Mimosas for Mom- it took another 20 minutes, and two reminders for that. Upon ordering our plates came staggered with one showing up 5 minutes after the first and the waffle coming in another 5 minutes after that one. All other issues, though minor , added upSpecial Features:
- Very Creative and Satisfying FoodjhallDined on 4/5/2014Sage consistently delivers when it comes to healthy, delicious, soul-satisfying meals. Sometimes the service is lacking, like poor timing with the delivery of food to the table, or lack of attention from the waiter when you first get seated, BUT it seems that the service is improving as time goes by. So if you are flexible with your expectations in the service department, you'll be satisfied by your experience as the food really knocks your socks off. Don't order the chai tea, it's very watery and lacks any of the traits that make a chai tea. Highly recommend anything off the dinner menu, that comes with a started salad, and the bowls are awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grp of 14...well 11...Flaky friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/4/2014The restaurant did very well in accomodating my largish group, a feat that not all vegan restaurant accomplish. I love sage in Echo Park but this sage has become my favorite for the accomodatiins they offer and the undeniably awesome vegan food. This was great the ambiance was sooo beautiful and the service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!JennKDined on 3/22/2014Loved the food and overall aesthetic of the restaurant, will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flavorOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014We love Sage. This was our second time visiting and it was for Valentines day. Service was quick and they stayed on top of refilling drinks and making sure everything was good. They had a special menu and everything we had was delicious. Can't wait to revisit and try some other dishes. The Kind Kreme (vegan ice cream) is worth going for alone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningMarcoDined on 2/14/2014The Food was delicious. We loved the restaurant's concept, the people, the service. It was a great place to celebrate Valentine's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best NYE dining event in town!MissOldSoulDined on 12/31/2013My friends and I (party of 6) thoroughly enjoyed the 5-course meal that Sage had pre-set for their New Year's Eve event. There was soup, salad, appetizers (choice of 3), huge entrees (choice of 3), and dessert (5 different cakes and many ice cream flavors to choose from). The meal also included 2 gourmet cocktails AND a glass of champagne for a midnight toast. The food was incredible, the service was excellent, and the value was unbelievable for a NYE event. I can't wait to come back and check out their regular menu items!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was excited to visit SageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013I was excited to visit Sage then our service was not good. The waitress neglected our table, our drinks and items came out very last, by the time when our bill came out the waitress stopped making eye contact with us and became more attentive to the table next to us.Special Features:
- adventuresome dining!hardtopleaseDined on 12/29/2013In spite of the mid-holiday staff crunch the gracious attitude of a great hosting was made clear - no excuses but appropriate apologies and compensation when things went awry - some of the tasitest most creative answers to a very limited diet - FABULOUS options and gracious accommodations to special needs. All in all a great find - sadly we can't take you home with us to Michigan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.