161-50 Cross Bay Blvd
Howard Beach, NY 11414Neighborhood:
SpanishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saffronrestaurantnewyork.com/
- Phone: 3473924152
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Herbert Duarte
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are flexible to our guests needs. If interested in off-site catering, Saffron will customize menu options for any customer interested and will customize package options.
- Private Party Facilities: For parties of 65 and over, Saffron will provide the entire dining room for a private dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Herbert Duarte 3473924152
- Entertainment: Flamenco performances are held once a month along with a weekly flamenco guitarist. Performance dates do vary; It is recommended to check our facebook or website to find out about our upcoming shows.
A word from Saffron Restaurant
Saffron is a charming restaurant in the heart of Howard Beach. Saffron offers a wide selection of tapas, ranging from traditional Tortilla Espanola and Chorizo to more unique tasting plates of Gambas con Serrano and Lollipop Steak and Shrimp. The staff at Saffron will provide service to enhance your experience and make suggestions to ensure your experience at Saffron will be well remembered. Saffron has plenty of free parking located in the rear and we are happy to accept orders for take-out. Saffron is the perfect setting for your next party.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Saffron Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (10)good for groups (8)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (2)romantic (2)special occasion (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- PeggyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Always great food and great service. The paella was great and so was the salmon. Always fun going hereSpecial Features:
- Great find!AikeDined on 6/28/2014We just happened to be in the area and found this restaurant by chance (online search for restaurant nearby) and I must say it was more than we expected. I loved it and my wife loved it, and that doesn't happen often. The food was great to say the least. I totally recommend it.Special Features:
- Great food and staff!ShieldsDined on 6/26/2014This is a wonderful restaurant! I have had parties here and have gone just for dinner- loving both! The staff is personable and attentive, the chef is fantastic and really sweet, and the feel of the place is intimate and cozy. It also has parking in the back which helps avoid the street parking search. Love this place and would recommend it to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many choicesRebrokermikeDined on 6/20/2014Artichoke dip is to die for, with so much to chose from everyone will be happy and the portions are generous. I am looking forward to coming back and trying a main course dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeggyVIPDined on 5/24/2014I love the paella. Next time I will try some of the tapas which looked great. We always enjoy coming here as the service is great and so is the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 76 reviews are from the Saffron Restaurant reviews archive.
- Tasty and Good for Sharingluv2eatDined on 4/22/2014We were in a hurry, because we had to drop off our daughter at JFK airport. We let them know when we placed our order and they were very accommodating. We enjoyed the Tapas dishes very much. Very tasty and interesting food nicely prepared and presented.Special Features:
- Cute PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Cute place in the heart of Howard beach which was nice, quiet, and had great service. The food was very good as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014My husband and i enjoyed the food and restaurant our server was very helpfulSpecial Features:
- We love the food, especiallyPeggyVIPDined on 3/22/2014We love the food, especially the paella. The apple crisp with vanilla ice cream was wonderful.Special Features:
- My Favorite Non-Italian ResturantDonTonyVIPDined on 2/28/2014Im Italian, and I normally eat Italian food. This is my favorite non-Italian resturant. The service is always top notch and the cook (who is the owner) is outstanding. I make it my business to go 1-2 times each month.Special Features:
- Excellent Findc5028Dined on 2/7/2014Great salads, nice rack of lamb and the risotto was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great good and excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/5/2014We had a great time at this restaurant, they were very welcoming and the waitress was outstanding; the food superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service offQueensgirlDined on 12/31/2013As always the food is delicioso. Herbert never lets me down. I was a little dissatisfied with the service this time. I have been to this establishment more than a dozen times. Yet this time the server was not up to par. Regardless if she is new or overwhelmed, she made many errors. Forgetting to bring out the salad before our meal arrived was a little disconcerting. Not going to even mention the mistakes made. Will still return, but do hope the server will have a better evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprised. AllOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/29/2013Pleasantly surprised. All sevings were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ Tapas Near JFKSusannaFromNewHopeDined on 10/18/2013This charming little spot in Howard Beach doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside it's welcoming and intimate. The food is delicious and creative, and the service is excellent. Special kudos to our waiter Ghavin, who was friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable. We especially enjoyed the grilled baby calamari, the littleneck clams with chorizo, and the bacon wrapped scallops with wild mushroom risotto. The seafood paella was a bit bland (some would say subtle) after the amazing and flavorful tapas, but a huge portion with lots of seafood and fine for someone who does not want intense flavors. There was a nice wine list, not too expensive, and plentiful free parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Pleasantly SurprisedABCReviewsDined on 9/29/2013My mom lives in Brooklyn and we needed a place to go for her birthday dinner. We didn't want to have to Downtown Brooklyn or to Manhattan. The goal was to go local. The food was amazing and the service was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love the food here andPeggyVIPDined on 8/17/2013We love the food here and the tapas are wonderful. I love the paella with seafoodSpecial Features:
- Really good Spanish restaurantfishloverDined on 8/10/2013The white sangria was excellent as was the paella. Service was excellent. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to...CathyHillVIPDined on 7/2/2013This is one of my fam's favorites. Everyone can find something to enjoy. This time we all had the paella which was wonderful. The rice was expecially yummy. Didn't have room for dessert...again!Special Features:
- Saffron experienceApa1Dined on 6/16/2013Did not enjoy the food I was drawn to the lure of the tapas but I was disappointed with the meatballs . They were very bland. I ordered short ribs it was chopped up in the noodles. It was a wrong choice it was my first time waiters don't speak they should have explained that the short ribs were not separate my father'sday brunch was not a hit. My husband felt his steak was bland and he asked for steak sauce and the arrogance of the chef not to have any salt or pepper at the table. He needs chef Ramsey to teach him flavours not good.Special Features:
- Great food!PhantomDined on 5/12/2013Saffron is great! Food was delicious, service was great, and the ambiance was smooth! Tapas are excellent....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayNeighborhoodNosherDined on 5/12/2013Food was very good.....intro to "tapas" (Spanish appetizers)......main courses also very good.....extremely casual wear.......excellent service........a "little" pricey......OVERALL: recommended as very good neighborhood "Spanish" restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh n delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2013Almost did not eat here after making reservations. The atmosphere has a lot to be desired but we had come all the way from brookyn meeting friends coming from JFK so we decided to stay (the A displayed in window convince us) Turns out we forgot about the atmosphere because the service and food were wonderful. Waitress was very helpful. 3 of us had piaya and one had pork chop. Great choice along with deliciously warm dessert. If I could give one tip to the restaurant ... Clean the glass of your windows and door. It would make a world of difference to the "squeamish " !
- I would go back very soon!IndyDined on 5/11/2013The food was amazing and the service was great! I will definitely go back ....maybe this weekend!Special Features:
- good foodslimjimDined on 4/27/2013Had the meat paella and seafood paella. It was very good and flavorful. I recommend for dates and family dinnersSpecial Features:
- Always nice going to Saffron.PeggyVIPDined on 4/20/2013Always nice going to Saffron. The food is great, the service is attentive and it's a great place for foodies.Special Features:
- Great quiet placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2013Very great food and great sevice. Waitress very attentive and great quiet place to bring a date to chat and get to know better without screeming across table.Special Features:
- Terrific Spanish food, warmOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/20/2013Terrific Spanish food, warm and welcoming staff, fun flamenco music. We were stuck between flights at JFK, with too little time to get home to Manhattan -- had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Tapas were on the expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013Tapas were on the expensive side but very good. Main entree was plentiful and very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and interestingCathyHillVIPDined on 3/13/2013Excellent and interesting selection of tapas. Yummy sangria.Special Features:
- Overall, the food is reallyPeggyVIPDined on 3/9/2013Overall, the food is really good. There was a wedding party when we entered the restaurant and I believe the wait staff was a bit overwhelmed. We had to ask two or three times for bread, My dining partners would have liked a larger selection as far as desserts such as tres leches, flan, etc.Special Features:
- It was a very nice eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/2/2013It was a very nice evening at saffron. I had the crab cake sliders which I highly recommend. Mu husband had the steak. Both very good choices with ample portions. The only knock on the place is the service. While everyone was friendly, service was spotty at times.Special Features:
- The food was amazing, greatMezzalunaVIPDined on 2/27/2013The food was amazing, great sangria and live entertainment on a THursday night. We started off with the house salad followed by the crabcake sliders and fried calamari tapas, all were amazing and piping hot (which is how I like my food served). The sliders came with delicious steak fried potatoes. For a main course we shared the valencia paella. It was flavorful and plenty for two to share. The dessert was the chef's choice of rice pudding - which is not my favorite dessert, however, it was served warm and had a soupy consistancy, which I have to say was delicious much to my suprise. This was a dinner for two deal from Groupon, I had some issues with that be sure to read the fine print. The food and service here were excellent.Special Features:
- food was great. if yousitOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/20/2013food was great. if yousit near the musicians/dancer - you will not be able to talk much. i will say it was a bit pricey for XBay Blvd.
- I had a small group of customersjwblack357VIPDined on 2/19/2013I had a small group of customers who were working until late that night. Rather than go into the city, we stayed local and Saffron restaurant was great. The food was excellent, great menu and excellent wine. Since it was late there were not too many guests, but the servers made sure we were well taken care of.Special Features:
- My husband and I had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013My husband and I had a great time, service was fantastic, pitcher of sangria was plentiful and delicious. Food was great, would definitely come again as well as recommend to family and friends. Nice lil restaurant on the corner if a comnercial avenue, a good find.Special Features:
- Excellent!DonTonyVIPDined on 2/1/2013I have been here with business clients as well as for personal visits. And everyone I've brought have highly enjoyed the food and service. The service and food are excellent. If you're not into Tapas or Paella, I personally recommend the steak and lamb dishes. And definitely try the Berry Sangria. 1/2 pitcher is way more than enough for 2 people.Special Features:
- This is a great neighborhoodCathyHillVIPDined on 1/23/2013This is a great neighborhood restaurant. Their tapas are exceptional as is the sangria.Special Features:
- Courteous and attentive staff.DaniDined on 1/15/2013Courteous and attentive staff. Enjoyable dining experience. Churros and hot fudge sauce deliciousSpecial Features:
- Tapas, tapas and more tapas!OldPiratesDined on 1/6/2013Tapas, tapas and more tapas! We had a great time-good food, great service, reasonable prices. Very close to the airport hotels (JFK). We'll keep Saffron on our list for the next time we're passing thru.