Saffron Indian Bistro
1143 San Carlos Ave.
San Carlos, CA 94070Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Saffron Indian Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saffronindianbistro.com/
- Phone: 6505934269x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30AM - 2:30 PM
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00PM - 9:30PM
Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Praveen K. Sharma
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Lets us cater your next event, we will bring everything you need including a kitchen (on wheels). We cater corporate lunches, Weddings, Birthdays or if you are just in the mood to celebrate.
- Entertainment: Catch up on sports while dining here.
- Cross Street: Between W. El Camino Real and Laurel
- Public Transit: Taking SamTrans on El Camino get down on San Carlos Ave/ Holly Street Bus Stop.
If taking Cal Train, get down at Holly Street Station (San Carlos) and Walk west on San Carlos Ave to the restaurant on the left, 5 doors from el camino real.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is street parking all over downtown including parking at the nearby CALTRAIN station, just a 2 minutes walk away.
A word from Saffron Indian Bistro
Saffron Indian Bistro is a family owned restaurant situated in the sophisticated dining destination of San Carlos. We serve Gourmet North Indian cuisine and have been successfully converting nay sayers to lovers of Indian food for over ten years.Continued
We feature an ever-changing menu that is sure to please the Meat eaters, Vegetarians and Vegans alike, including items that are Gluten Free.
We feature an ever-changing menu that is sure to please the Meat eaters, Vegetarians and Vegans alike, including items that are Gluten Free.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Saffron Indian Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (10)kid-friendly (6)fit for foodies (6)good for groups (3)romantic (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Authentic + DeliciousMsJaneGordonVIPDined on 8/22/2014The last time I had this quality of Indian food was when I dinned in a 5 star hotel restaurant in Delhi India. It is a bit pricey for Indian food, but it's worth every penny. Outstanding service, friendly staff that are not in your face. They make sure your water glass is full, swap out warm plates before you dine, and attentive. I thought the signature butter chicken and garlic naan were good but not amazing. MUST HAVE Lamb Briyani!! Great finish with Saffron Pistachio Kulfi (traditional indian ice-cream), and a masala chai tea. LOVE!!Special Features:
- Excellent food will returnDenisVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food was great. Felt very authentic with big chunks of vegies. The chicken pieces were a little overcooked but the flavors we great. It is a little pricy hence only 4 stars. The decor was effective and the service was adequate.
- Best Indian in San CarlosRobTomVIPDined on 8/4/2014Always good food, and unfailingly polite service. Good advice on the menu. And try the mango lassi. Service was a little slow this last visit - but just gave us more time to enjoy food, drinks, and company.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian RestaurantChuckVIPDined on 8/2/2014Dinner at Saffron is always a pleasure. The food is consistently excellent, the wine list is reasonable, and the service is efficient and discreet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE best Indian foodOptimusDinerVIPDined on 6/30/2014Almost anytime I go out with friends who are from India we always seem to end up here - and with the selection of Indian restaurants in the area this is saying a lot. Food and service are always excellent and this time our group had a 2-year old and without asking they brought him a water cup with a straw. I cannot rave enough how great this restaurant is - my favorite dish is their Saffron’s Signature Daal Makhani - I have it every time I come here and it gets better every time (not sure how that is possible but it does!)Special Features:
- Amazing butter chickenTinTinDined on 6/27/2014Service was great--servers were always attentive and always made sure our water glasses were full. Food was amazing--butter chicken, their signature dish, was delicious and the naan was hot and fluffy. They had other interesting curries on the menu, but the butter chicken alone makes me want to come back here.Special Features:
- The following 48 reviews are from the Saffron Indian Bistro reviews archive.
- Best Indian food around!OptimusDinerVIPDined on 6/13/2014I had 2 friends in town from India who wanted good Indian food and so I took them here and they loved Saffron Indian Bistro! We asked for medium spicy and it was wonderful. The service was very attentive, the food was served at the proper temperature and the naan was cooked to perfection. I have been here several times myself so I knew how good it was and recently had to order food-to-go for 3 different meeting groups and no one had ever been here so I was taking a chance but everyone loved it and asked me to bring their food to our next meetings this week. This is a consistently excellent restaurant!
- Great Indian FoodTeragram7Dined on 4/18/2014This place is well worth a visit! The food was outstanding and authentic from the appetizers to the desserts: probably the best Indian food in the mid-Peninsula. I had the mahi-mahi baked in the clay oven, and it was tender, moist, delicious, and with just the right amount of spice. The service was efficient and attentive. We had an early booking at 5:45 pm on a Friday night, and the restaurant filled up fast. The only only negative was that, since the restaurant has a concrete floor, there is nothing to absorb the sound and the noise level was a bit high. Parking can be a bit of a problem, although there is a City parking lot 2 blocks away (the other side of Laurel Street).Special Features:
- Great Indian cuisine - niceJoJoDined on 3/22/2014Great Indian cuisine - nice atmosphere - good serviceSpecial Features:
- Service was pushy and rudedisappointedDined on 3/1/2014We selected the 9:15pm dining time and only 20% of the tables were occupied which was surprising. They came by to take our order and since we were not ready, they came back two minutes later. They let us know the kitchen would be closing soon and needed to get our order in asap. We ordered and they let us know again that we would be unable to order any additional food items. While we were eating, two servers came over and let us know that the restaurant was closing at 10pm. Before we had finished eating they were already taking fixtures away from the table. When finished, they dropped off two containers and a bag on the table. We had to request additional containers and had to package our leftovers ourselves. Would not recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceGingerKittyVIPDined on 2/17/2014We brought out of town guests on a Monday night and the place was hopping! We ordered a variety of dishes - daal, fish tikka, lamb vindaloo, tandoori chicken, etc. Everything was delicious - the daal house (pun intended) special was luscious and creamy, the fish tikka was cooked & seasoned to perfection, the lamb vindaloo was as spicy as expected and the chicken tandoori was moist and flavorful. The service was friendly and attentive. Everyone had a smile on their face when they would come to our table to replenish our drinks. We are definitely looking forward to going back to try all the other dishes!Special Features:
- Great ServicePoppyVIPDined on 9/21/2013Great friendly staff who go out of their way to accommodate their guests and make them feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. But service lacksRocketDined on 9/18/2013Made reservations for Wednesday evening. Got there, the place was half empty and refused to seat us until all members of the party were present. I could understand if place busy and packed but not the case. Ordered, service was quite slow 30 minutes for food and the place was not busy, also servers not friendly at all. Food was very good and I will go back for another try or maybe just do take out to avoid the service issues.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor service!!! TablesCullenDined on 9/16/2013Very poor service!!! Tables are very close to each other so no PRIVACY!
- Great Indian foodcelebgradDined on 8/2/2013If you like the varied spices used in Indian food, you will enjoy trying their Madras Lamb or new on the menu Salamm Bombay. Their is food on their menu to please even the pickiest eaters, my son loves the Butter chicken and the Tandorri Tikki fish. The waiters are very attentive and can help you choose items off the menu if you are unsure as to what you might like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodCCRWCDined on 8/1/2013The butter chicken was awesome. Will eat here again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food & ServiceFalguniMDined on 8/1/2013I really like the food and service at Saffron. I've visited Saffron in the past and they have improved on their food quality and service. Very friendly staff and good ambiance. I will definitely come back! Thank you!!Special Features:
- This is a fabulous IndianOptimusDinerVIPDined on 7/29/2013This is a fabulous Indian restaurant - have eaten here several times and the food is always great. This time I was meeting a friend for dinner, who never showed up, and they were so gracious about it. I decided to do a to-go order and just have a bowl of their tomato garlic soup while I waited for the order and the soup was so delicious and hit the spot while I waited for the food. They brought it very quickly and off I went to eat it at home. I got 3 meals out of that order and even the leftovers were tasty! Food and service are amazing!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful flavors.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/27/2013Wonderful flavors. NOT your run of the mill Indian restaurant. Everything tasted fresh and delish - even the naan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2013We normally get food to go but we had the opportunity to have a meal without the children so we booked a table. The food was great, very flavorful and tasty! The atmosphere it great, quiet enough to chat without worrying about everyone hearing your conversation. The service was great, they were very attentive. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Indian cuisine inChefVIPDined on 4/20/2013Fantastic Indian cuisine in my own backyard. The best i've had outside of London. Will be back very soon and will recommend to all my friends.Special Features:
- A Must Try!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013The atmosphere and music is exotic and beautiful. The staff is extremely attentive and courteous and the food is beautiful and delicious! My favorite restaurant!!!Special Features:
- Excellent food. We had dinnerWontBeBackVIPDined on 4/13/2013Excellent food. We had dinner on a Sat night, so it was fresh from the kitchen, not off the buffet. Everything we had was good.
- Very nice dinner. I enjoyedMenloGalVIPDined on 4/13/2013Very nice dinner. I enjoyed two of the tandoori dishes with Naan, well seasoned and tender. The vegetable samosas were delicious. Will return soon.Special Features:
- Everything was amazing! ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/5/2013Everything was amazing! Excellent service and food, we will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Fabulous Indian food and greatOptimusDinerVIPDined on 4/5/2013Fabulous Indian food and great service - we split Chicken Tikka Masala, Daal Makhani, Fish Tandoori, and Pistachio ice cream and the tastes were all amazing.
- Food was delicious, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013Food was delicious, service was impeccable - kind, courteous, friendly...Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013Have tried lots of Indian restaurants. This was one of the best one.Great food and service. Only down side is waiting area is too small.Would recommend and will visit again.Special Features:
- The best Indian food we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/14/2013The best Indian food we've had on the Penninsula! We had guests in town and they loved it too. A good choice for us. Will be back there soon!Special Features:
- AuthenticDrewDined on 12/19/2012Food is very authentic and well prepared. We had a number of expat Indians in our party that commented as such. I would return to try the buffet in the future.Special Features:
- The meat was overcooked andmarkVIPDined on 12/1/2012The meat was overcooked and dry, with too much salt and overly spicy. Even though we asked the waiter to make it mild and he assured us that he would. The restaurant lacks any atmosphere.
- Great Indian foodOptimusDinerVIPDined on 10/13/2012The food was delicious - I lived in India and this is great Indian food! We had veg and non-veg dishes and they were all amazing. It arrived piping hot to the table and we had very attentive service. My friends had been here several times but this was my first time and I will definitely go back.
- Best Indian Food in San Carlos.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/11/2012Been coming here forever. Great North Indian food. Friendly service. Solid buffet on Tues/Sun.Special Features:
- No better than "Fair"MMMMMVIPDined on 9/14/2012If you know your Indian food like we do, then you will know this restaurant's food & service should not be rated better than "Fair", and that is being generous. You really have to compare the food with Clay Oven (San Mateo) and Suraj (Redwood City) to gain a good ability to discern the quality of Indian food, chiefly dishes like Butter Chicken or Chicken Tikka Masala, and also the Nan bread. If you have been to either of the restaurants I mentioned then you have to downgrade this experience considerably. And like most Indian resteraunts, the friendliness factor is consistently questionable, and this is no different. You have to love the way the check is brought back with a drop on the table and not word of thanks said. Perfect ending...
- Tasty TravelsRubySkyDined on 8/1/2012Second time at Saffron, and it was as brilliant as the first. The atmosphere is elegant, yet casual. Friendly conversation fills the room, and the food is complete bliss. Love it, would go again and again!!!!Special Features:
- The food was very tasty. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/6/2012The food was very tasty. The only comment , I would like to make is we were presented with a complimentary appetizer. It was some kind of tiny pieces of chip/ Unfortunately , it was stale. I looked around the other tables, and almost everyone didn't care for it. So serve it fresh and crispy or don't offer it all as complimentary.Special Features:
- Delicious food, polite service,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/3/2012Delicious food, polite service, nice atmosphere. Perfect for adults and well-behaved children. Food was a bit spicier/hotter than at other Indian restaurants in the area - even the "mild" dishes.Special Features:
- Good local place for IndianWGJCJVIPDined on 2/24/2012Good local place for Indian food, service needs improvement
- I took my children aged 15,MenloGalVIPDined on 1/28/2012I took my children aged 15, 12, 9 there for my birthday dinner. We were greeted and seated promptly. The table had a table cloth, chargers under plates and a small candle. I did not find the scents in the restaurant to be over powering. The decor is elegant and it looks like a nice place for a date night. There were two TV's showing sports, but their placement was such that they could either be viewed or ignored, your choice. The food was well prepared and hot. Before the dinner was brought out, they asked if we were finished with our appetizer and if we were ready for our dinner to be brought out. The service was attentive and polite. I would definitely go back again with party of adults.Special Features:
- We had baingan mirchi salanOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/9/2011We had baingan mirchi salan and aloo gobi. The aloo gobi was tasty. But everything seemed unnecessarily rich. The pudina roti was nothing special. The service was so-so......... there are definitely better Indian restaurants in the bay area.