Saffron 685 Mediterranean Turkish Cuisine
685 Townsend Street
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Saffron 685 Mediterranean Turkish Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saffron685-sf.com/
- Phone: 4158632285x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-Sa 11:00am-5:00pm
Dinner: M-Sa 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Turkish, Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Saffron 685 Mediterranean Turkish Cuisine
Saffron 685 is a Mediterranean Turkish Cuisine in south of market hotspot brings in the crowd to enjoy its warm, modern vibe, with an emphasis on mezes and grilled meats. enjoy a selection of mezes and appetizers or opt for main course.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Saffron 685 Mediterranean Turkish Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (3)special occasion (2)fit for foodies (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- great food!ggggggggggVIPDined on 10/18/2014The ambiance is very casual looking, almost to the point of feeling like an upscale deli. The food on the other is is top notch! I would be proud to take any foodie to this hidden gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific placeSuzanDined on 10/7/2014Great food, like the clean decor. Great Mediterranean food and service are terrific. Will return and recommend to all my friends!Special Features:
- For lunch onlyDickVIPDined on 10/4/2014We ate there for dinner which is OK but not one if you're looking for some ambiance. it's quite sparse. The food was very good and the service was excellent but that may have been because there was no one else in the restaurant when we arrived at 7:30 on a Saturday night. Afterwards, one other couple did come in. Another note is regarding the menu. It really is a luncheon menu. The entrees are more appetizer like than a substantive dinner although my Lamb Shawarma was enough for a dinner dish.
- A friendly spot and worth visitingDinnerman1Dined on 9/17/2014This was a pleasant surprise. An owner who cooked and served. It was personal, friendly and the owner was very helpful choosing dishes and was happy to provide extra bread ect at no more cost. A good safe Turkish food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Mediterranean restaurantDebdoubDined on 8/27/2014This is one of my very favorite restaurant through the years. One of my favorite dish here is their grilled squash & mushrooms & eggplants with garlic sauce . As i'm moving north of golden gate bridge to the Marin I hope that they will open another amazing restaurant around there. Thank you for years of wonderful meals.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedrenodeanVIPDined on 7/28/2014I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Had an early dinner here. There was only one person working. He greeted us, kindly, seated us, served us drinks, took our order AND cooked our food. EVERYTHING was wonderful and I will definitely go back there the next time I'm in San Francisco.
- Quality food made with loveDebra28Dined on 6/28/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by a server at Dalfina restaurant in the Mission, it is a family type Mediterranean restaurant. Ordered BBQ's Lamb Salad & grilled Salmon. The portions size are generous & side salads that come with are tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 26 reviews are from the Saffron 685 Mediterranean Turkish Cuisine reviews archive.
- Great for casual, healthy lunchrestaurantmavenDined on 6/19/2014Good choice for lunch with work friends or takeout. Healthy, delicious food and great drink options. Very nice staff.Special Features:
- Tasty & creative foodSuzyo618Dined on 6/18/2014Nice place for a date, a party or casual dinner, I like the seating in the back, silk Ottoman pillows with Moroccan type tables. All in all great food knowledgeable staff in a nice ambiance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindGeorgio01Dined on 6/11/2014Great location, great Turkish mint tea only surpassed by the wonderful service!! Highly recommended and will be coming back the next time I'm in San Francisco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious truly magnificent placeBSineDined on 6/6/2014Went for a late lunch and it was fabulous! Great food, great atmosphere and great service! will go back for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodcooldosaDined on 6/3/2014Loved the mint lemonade and the veggie platter! The food was just right!Special Features:
- Great find @ SOMASulemanDined on 5/26/2014Went there just without any expectation and it was just perfect! Amazing food in a nice atmosphere. Excellent service too! Do not miss the dessert! Hope to return there soon!Special Features:
- Unique & perfectruthDined on 5/22/2014I have passed this place easily 100 times and always meant to visit. I really love middle east spices and they have those down here. Interior is cozy, kinds of a casual and some private tables for 2 or 4 in the back. We were lucky to do a walk in at Thu afternoon. we tried 4 items, roasted beet dip with warm whole wheat thick pita bread, Fattoush salad mixed green salad with French feta cheese crumbled on the top, wild caught grilled Salmon Outstanding choice, very unique complex flavors in a rich sauce def. a signature dish Lamb kebab w/ roasted red pepper walnut dip, hummus & lavash, BBQ prawns on a saffron basmati rice. The flavors were great bright, fresh. Another winner & signature dish. This is worth a 2nd & 3rd visits.Special Features:
- DisappointedKathleenDined on 5/22/2014I was looking forward to it because of the reviews. It was just mediocre. The lamb was tough. I will never go back. My husband is Labanese and I was hoping to find a special place. This place just does not cut it.
- Great placemichael60Dined on 5/21/2014I spent a $175 for my girlfriend and I the other night for a dinner and I came today for a lunch, think it was worth the money. We split the spreads appetizer which was 3 different spreads with whole wheat thick pita bread and then split a Salmon dish and the lamb. We were full by the end. Each had a Sugar-free brewed mint lemonade and split a bottle of wine. I think the lamb was the clear winner. Fell off the bone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timer....surprise FIND!LocalFussyFoodieFamilyVIPDined on 5/14/2014I found 685 on OPenTable cause I needed a convenient location for a casual quiet business dinner in that neighborhood , south of ballpark and away from Game traffic. Was shocked to find was really a super causal Formica top place for lunch, with occasional take out clients coming in for dinner. Empty on a Wed nite at 630pm with One competent man cooking and serving.....all we needed. I did note there were some padded seats in back, with a small private room for floor seating, in a tent sort of thing. Cool! My guest was fine...but even more fine when we ordered and ate. He is Turkish so knows his Middle East food! Everything was fresh, delicious and nicely presented. I will go again and take out for sure!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice Mediterranean placeAsmirDined on 4/29/2014…the food is consistently good, love their shrimp skewers, the roasted vegetable sandwiches, their salads and their desserts are wonderful especially konafa.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood GemMz67Dined on 4/26/2014I've been going their for the last 8 years I like this place the atmosphere the authentic food especially the grilled vegetable , the grilled salmon , pepper appetizer , grilled organic beef skewers that taste from heaven ,everything I mean everything , they have the best chef, he is an artist in his job , the only thing I would like to say I liked if they have the konafa consistenly. Can't wait to go there again , thanks SaffronSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice Mediterranean placemorti66Dined on 3/5/2014I came here on the advice of a friend who said that it is on of her favorite restaurant in San Francisco. We were still pleasantly surprised by the relaxed, informal tone of the decor and the staff. There is nothing fussy or stiff here. The meal was worth every penny. There is a Moroccan accent to many of the dishes--in the spicing if not in the ingredients. The service was perfect for my taste--attentive, friendly, comfortable, and exquisite lay timed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hope they succeedFredleeDined on 2/14/2014Walked in at 7 PM on Valentine's Day. First ones there. The menue is typical, but all the food was better than average. Service was little awkward because the server didn't listen well, but everyone else seemed to get along fine. Prices are very reasonable, parking was easy and the ambiance was pleasant. We will go back.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceOpenerDined on 2/5/2014Definitely take the opportunity to come here. The food was delicious plus the service was attentive and helpful. We had a fantastic evening here and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have spent a terrific timeBenkubelskDined on 2/3/2014I have spent a terrific time at Saffron 685. The service is excellent and the food outstanding. The only thing Saffron 685 could improve is the wine list. maybe a wine from Turkey or Lebanon! just a suggestion. Nevertheless I'll keep Saffron in best memories! Definitely recommend Saffron 685 to all our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love itRedF62Dined on 1/27/2014After several less than great experiences in SF, it was awesome to have a meal to brag about! Food was very good, prices fairly reasonable and dessert - ah, Konafa from heaven. Well worth to drive from the Marina area and the touristy food! Now I know why they were voted it the Best Mediterranean Restaurant by SFGate. The staff was friendly and attentive and the place was truly Mediterranean! so many imitators out there in SF but not Saffron.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingJimmieDined on 1/6/2014I brought my girlfriend here on a whim for a Christmas eve. We both agreed we would be back many times I had to come today for late lunch as I've had some business in the neighborhood, It is a very intimate setting all the way in the back on a low round table behind a silky turkish curtains perfect for a couple or maybe a small group. The food was very original and full of amazing flavors. Even the dessert delicious —Konafa, French feta lavender thyme w/ honey, Saffron almond pudding etc. Everything was perfectly portioned, and our waitress was the perfect combination of informative and hands-off. She explained a lot about the food and made recommendations, but would leave us alone to enjoy the whole experience. Perfect.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Mediterranean FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/28/2013I took a group of 8 here after seeing Cirque with visiting family. The food was extraordinary; beautifully made & flavorful. We loved the pomogranite walnut dip, lentils & onions, hummus, lamb schwarma plate, veggie grill, falafel, fresh sesame cookies, Turkish Torrone, and of course baklava. The waiter was super friendly, playful with the kids, and had great suggestions for things to share. We'll definitely be back! Bonus: It's mid block on Townsend, and parking was easy & free Sat night. This is an undiscovered gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific Turkish foodpaulVIPDined on 11/1/2013plus reasonable prices and parking is easy at nightI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food off the beaten pathKJ4foodDined on 10/14/2013Booked this place for a small business dinner on a Monday night. Was a bit concerned when I first walked in. We were the only people in the restaurant. They did not have a wine list, we had to go up to the counter to view the beer & wine selection. Had I booked dinner at a lunch counter??? But the service was great and the food outstanding. The gentleman who served us was also the cook and I assume the owner, was PASSIONATE about the food. I ordered a run-of-the-mill chicken kebab. Never knew one could taste so good. The meat was tender and spicy, the vegetables fresh and flavorful. This was by far the best Mediterranean cuisine I had ever tasted. Strongly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great establishmentkim2dineDined on 10/4/2013Very nice Mediterranean / middle eastern food. The babaganoush and humous are delicious, Desert was just perfect, I would rate it among the top ten in the bay area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeRajabKhanDined on 9/28/2013I'm becoming a regular, the other day I organized a group lunch there. The group size wasn't clear initially and I made the reservation for eight but ultimately we had a twelve people -- the friendly folks at Saffron 685 accommodated us gracefully. The food was delicious and copious. Altogether we had an awesome experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hands downSuzanDined on 9/27/2013In a few words, Perfect food, great chef, warm hospitality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem mediterranean on Townsend,DebdoubDined on 9/27/2013A gem mediterranean on Townsend, I was invited to a birthday party last Saturday night and came today for a quick lunch as I work close by, they have so many appetizers and I love the mint lemonade freshly made in the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Mediterranean fareOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/25/2013Loved the chicken wrap, good quality food and great value... We were one of two tables in the place... Perhaps they do a big lunch business because of the tech companies very nearby? Despite the quiet almost deserted place, food was excellent, service was fine, and I'll definitely be back to try other items on the menu, perhaps as take-out. The chicken & hummus were great & tasted very fresh.Special Features: