Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn
297 Shore Road
Chatham, MA 02633Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.chathambarsinn.com/
- Phone: 5089456872
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm and 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Anthony Cole
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For more information about conferences and catering go to www.chathambarsinn.com.
A word from Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn
Cozy dining. Perfect for a casual meal. What could be more inviting than an authentic New England-style tavern? Sacred Cod at the Chatham Bars Inn is cozy and comfortable, warm and welcoming with its rustic vaulted ceiling, brass chandelier and timeworn wood-paneled walls. Enjoy a cocktail and appetizers at the massive old-style bar, or pull up a table and enjoy hale and hearty New England favorites such as lobster pie or fresh fish from the Chatham Pier.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn - Best Restaurants in Chatham ›
Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (13)special occasion (11)good for groups (8)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (5)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)late-night find (3)romantic (2)Show More
- Service/Meal lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014We expected a lot more from this restaurant given the prices. We ordered the lobster fettuccini and grilled sirloin. The lobster and steak were both over cooked. The lobster was described on the menu as lemon, garlic, white wine and chives. None of those items were in the dish! It was served with cherry tomatoes and a strange flavored sauce, not a piece of garlic or flavor of lemon anywhere. The tavern salad was the highlight of the meal at $11. We also ordered a $60 bottle of wine that we found down the block the next night for $32! Wine prices were very overinflated by bottle and by the glass. Our waitress seemed to be in over her head as well. The place is small but we had to ask for more water twice and she disappeared with checkSpecial Features:
- Very enjoyable experience!aviddinerDined on 9/26/2014Everything was just delicious! Fresh vegetables from their farm were a special treat. They obviously take pride in their food and it's presentation. Hats off to the chef! Amanda was a delightful server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5charlie5Dined on 9/23/2014reservations-wanted 6:30, told only 6 or 9- 15 tables were empty service -requested fresh pepper waiter picked up the pepper shaker on the table and said "here" food was tasteless,onion ring appetizer was served in a greasy bag without a serving piece, cost was outlandish- it was a never go again experience
- Great PlaceJHLANEVIPDined on 9/19/2014Very nice place which had great food as well. We went earlier and there were a bunch of kids. If you do not want to deal with kids, I would go later.Special Features:
- our reservations were lost by CBIOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014after reservations were confirmed by open table and a call back from the concierge desk, there was no record of our reservations at the restaurant when we arrived the next day. Fortunately they were able to seat us but not at the table we had asked for (end of the banquette) which had been confirmed by the concierge desk. The hostess simply replied that they just didn't have any reservations for us. That the system had gone down but all the other reservations were there when the system was up and running and ours were not.Special Features:
- Hit or miss....again.tribecaDined on 9/8/2014I love the Chatham Bars Inn and we often eat at the Sacred Cod. Unfortunately, I find the food to be hit or miss, especially after the summer tourist season is over. We had a group of (3) for dinner on a Monday nite. I ordered fish, which was cooked perfectly, but my son & girlfriend ordered burgers, which were luke warm when served. Both burgers were sent back and the waiter was very apologetic. This wasn't the first time we had a mediocre meal...Love this place, but food can be inconsistent.Special Features:
- RFPandMAPDined on 9/5/2014The Sacred Cod at Chatham Bars Inn was a very enjoyable experience! The service was outstanding! The staff was very attentive! The food was delicious! We were celebrating a special occasion and couldn't be more pleased with every aspect of the evening?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scallops gone bad? No problem...OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/30/2014Ordered local oysters and scallops. The oysters were very good but the scallops tasted ammonia. The waiter apologized a couple of times but also took it very casually. It happened again two weeks ago, he explained. Another customer complained about the same thing. I simply looked at him... I'd expect the manager to pay a visit to the table and explain what happened. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- Sacred Cod...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Great food... very noisy kids restaurant. the Cod dish too heavily beer battered, but others super - was funny to look at as giant ball.Special Features:
- great experiencelisamDined on 8/24/2014we chose this restaurant while vacationing on the Cape-- great location, in the Chatham Bars Inn. Food was excellent, great wine list. Service wasn't great- our waiter was very courteous but a bit overwhelmed. We enjoyed our dinner anyway!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- would go back, but just okellebeeVIPDined on 8/21/2014The space is beautiful, but the crowd was a bit older than expected. It has a lot of potential and would be a great place to meet friends by the bar area or have a dinner. Our waitress was overly energetic, but service was prompt. We really wanted mudslides, which I believe you can get at the restaurant by the pool, but not at this one, so that was disappointing. It was hard to get a reservation, but it was not crowded so I am not sure why. I had the clam chowder and tuna crude and both were just ok. I had oysters as well and my friend had a lobster pasta dish that she really liked.Special Features:
- NiecyDined on 8/5/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere. All enjoyed their meals, including teens. Great for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinnerhippieVIPDined on 8/1/2014we had to send 2 meals back. the bus staff were quite inexperienced (and it was august,should be okay by then), only positive was our waiter who was terrific.
- Service friendly but slowFoodiesDined on 7/31/2014Food took a while and was very loud. We had kids and so did the people next to us. Not necessary to seat all families with kids in same section. Makes it louder.Special Features:
- Hummmm.......PinkyVIPDined on 7/29/2014While CBI is a great place to stay, the food is lacking on every aspect. Stick to drink and appetizers on the hill and porch. All the other restaurants have minimal atmosphere and blah food. We are Chatham summer residents and enjoy CBI for drinks and the outside view. Other than that, dine elsewhere!!!!(Wait staff is always great!)Special Features:
- luvmypitDined on 7/26/2014Sacred Cod - very expensive - older ambiance - needs updating. One dinner was great, the other terrible. Berkshire Pork dry and tasteless. Considering the exorbitant prices (even at this dining room), it's outrageously expensive and I would only give it a mediocre review. So many other restaurants that are less expensive with great views and reasonable prices on the Cape!
- Ho, humOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Nothing special here. Food over priced for quality. Wine way over priced. Noisy. Service attention great, but bordering on hovering.
- Good casual mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/12/2014I hadn't been to Chatham Bars Inn in quite a while. I had fond memories of a dark cozy bar with a fireplace but I believe the room has been remodeled. About half of the space is now a large bar area and the rest is brighter with colonial tavern-type tables. Despite a reservation made a week ahead and several empty tables, we were seated in the middle of the busy entrance area and our immediate request for one of the other empty tables was declined. The waitstaff was pleasant and attentive, and the food was good though not rave-worthy. Fish and chips portion was rather small. This is a fine place to stop in for a quick meal, and worth the cost if you take the opportunity to experience the lovely inn and grounds.Special Features:
- At least the food was greatgoodfoodDined on 7/12/2014We had a reservation and when we arrived the hostess tried to seat us at a small table/booth in a dark corner next to the bar, nearly touching a family with two small children sharing the same booth seat. There was virtually no one in the main dining room which was well lit and much more spacious. When we asked to sit in the other area she said something about a party of 12 coming in - but there were literally 15 open tables. It was very awkward because the hostess (and then the manager) kept asking why we didn't want to sit in this small dark corner of an empty restaurant, which seemed obvious. Fortunately the food was fabulous, with fresh ingredients, especially vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hampton dinerHamptondiner2014Dined on 7/11/2014Very disappointed in food, fried calamari nearly edible, the 58 dollar two pound on the menu was lacking the two pounds. Overall I would never go back.
- The following 158 reviews are from the Sacred Cod - Chatham Bars Inn reviews archive.
- Five StarsEMBurkeDined on 6/22/2014My husband and I recently celebrated our 2nd anniversary at The Sacred Cod on a Sunday evening. The meal was exquisite, as was the service. We had eaten there one other time, and it was equally enjoyable. Can't say enough about how wonderful the place is. We'll definitely be coming back, and will recommend to others!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very flavorful.PickypeepsDined on 6/17/2014Be willing to have an open mind. Every dish we had was delicious. Waiter gave us good feedback when asked about dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new chef neededPtownbillyVIPDined on 6/12/2014This Tavern at the gorgeous Chatham Bars Inn is unremarkable in appearance and ambiance: simply a large space with a vaulted ceiling and no focal point. The flounder tasted of oil and no discernible spices or flavoring. The peas and mushrooms also tasted of oil and were rubbery, as if they had been reheated. The service, on the other hand, was exemplary, the waitress gracious and attentive. Although I continue to be seduced by the overall campus, and in particular this inn, I will avoid future meals in the Tavern. Perhaps a drink in the lively bar?
- DinnerKarenDined on 6/6/2014Lovely dinner at Chatham bars inn. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationNewburyportNosherDined on 5/24/2014We went to Sacred Cod to celebrate my birthday. The staff was very attentive to the fact that I was vegan and took the time to point out options that I could have on the menu.The service itself was a bit slow. My husband's clam chowder was lukewarm by the time it arrived and our drinks sat empty for quite awhile. The ambiance was nice and the location on the water was lovely. The food quality was good overall. The scallops were pan seared and cooked perfectly. My quinoa and veggies en papillote was nicely seasoned with mustard greens. I would go back again to give the a second try. It was Memorial Day weekend, so as my husband pointed out, perhaps they were working the kinks out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good tavern diningLove2eatDined on 5/24/2014We enjoyed the food & casual tavern atmosphere. Good service & beautiful decor but what could be bad at the Chatham Bars Inn ?!Special Features:
- Foodie heaven!MacatsDined on 5/16/2014We had a wonderful meal here on a Friday night. The service was impeccable. However, it was very noisy due to the people in the bar. Also, we expected to have an ocean view but this is an interior restaurant, so, alas, there was none! We thoroughly enjoyed our entrees, and the dessert was not only delicious, but also a work of art!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nom Nom Nom!nomnomwinterDined on 5/11/2014I took my mother and father there for Mothers Day and the food was Delicious! Get the salmon, best I've had! After I made reservations CBI called me to verify the res. and asked if I wanted anything special. If you want a great meal go to any of the restaurants at CBI!Special Features:
- Easter lunchdavescatVIPDined on 4/20/2014We had an Easter lunch with grandchildren on a beautiful sunny day, though the pub itself has no view, we enjoyed the atmosphere, and wait staff was attentive and kind. Terrific view from outside the inn. Food was wonderful and satisfied all. The shrimp and asparagus appetizer shared by all, and the clam chowder got rave reviews.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food; impolite dinersLHTVVIPDined on 4/19/2014My husband and I had dinner here with my mother-in-law and found the food to be EXCELLENT. Perfectly cooked fish, great chowder, beautiful desserts. The only sour note, was the couple with 3 children who repeatedly allowed their 2 or 3 year old son to be really loud (Crying, whining, screeching; clearly, the kid was tired and just needed to go to bed.) Rather than have one of the parents take the kid up to their room, they hung around for a second round of drinks.... The hotel staff didn't/wouldn't do anything about it. I get that it's a delicate situation, but do you sacrifice the experience of your entire dining room for one set of inconsiderate parents? I wish they'd had the backbone to do right by the rest of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a casual date night.Hesser428VIPDined on 4/16/2014The food was delicious and the service was wonderful. The bar is off the dining room, so you don't feel like you are having a true fine dining experience. You could go to the other restaurant at Chatham Bars Inn for that. This was perfect for us - upscale food, fun coctails - and we could wear jeans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at well maintained innFlintstonesDined on 4/4/2014Aside of a young Maitre d' mix up on our reservation while seating us, we enjoyed our evening. The food presentation was awesome and the Inn is well maintainedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chatham Bars Innlove2eatoutDined on 4/4/2014The hostess was very friendly and our server was very attentive. We had flatbread pizzas which were very good. I started with clam chowder which I was surprised to learn was a very hearty bowl-ful. My husband had veggie fritters which at $10 a plate we felt was a little steep for what he got. The ambience was great though and overall we enjoyed our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful meal. MyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014We had a wonderful meal. My concerns were that table was to close to large group at next table. Also there was two screaming small children two tables away. There were three or four waiters who served us and when the meal came the waitress had no clue as to who ordered which meal. The food I must say was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best servicelovecbiDined on 2/14/2014We had the most wonderful server. A young lady from Europe. The food was the best. A lovely valentine eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CHATHAM BARS INN GRILL ROOM DID OKFx33Dined on 1/31/2014The combination bar and casual dining restaurant is comfortable and unassuming. It is the little brother of STEAKS, CBI's premier restaurant. The two have separate kitchens. My wife and I had flounder and it was excellent prepared and served. in the past food quality has been uneven, but the chef delivered this time just fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Located inside a beautifulchathamgirlDined on 12/26/2013Located inside a beautiful seaside inn with impeccable view and grounds....it is hard to beat Chatham!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for holidaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/25/2013Went for Christmas dinner Not festive at all. Dull old furnishings and decor. Very little Christmas decoration or ambiance.Special Features:
- Perfect and ComfortableFancynancDined on 12/25/2013We enjoyed Christmas dinner in the tavern. It was a somber occasion for us, and it provided excellent food, service, and a quiet, but beautiful ambiance. The decorations were beautiful, and the view is spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was all perfectly fine,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/24/2013It was all perfectly fine, if a little on the expensive side. I just had a bit of a hard time paying that price and not being wowed by the food. But it will meet expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.