Sacks Cafe and Restaurant
328 G Street
Anchorage, AK 99501Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Sacks Cafe and Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://sackscafe.com/
- Phone: 9072744022
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm;
Saturday & Sunday Brunch 10 am to 2:30 pm.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30 pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jim Adkison
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Sacks is available for off site catering. Please see our web site for our catering menu. Sacks is also avaiable for private parties.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant may be rented out for private functions.
- Private Party Contact: Jo Ann 9072763548
A word from Sacks Cafe and Restaurant
Consistently adventurous food built with top-notch ingredients makes Sacks a welcome oasis. Locals love lunch, brunch & dinner at Sacks. Our creative chefs are always cooking up tasty fare for our guests enjoyment. Wine Spectator award list. Treat yourself to the New Alaska.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Sacks Cafe and Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Anchorage ›
Sacks Cafe and Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)great for lunch (57)special occasion (53)great for brunch (50)neighborhood gem (46)notable wine list (38)romantic (29)kid-friendly (13)good for groups (12)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Another Excellent Experience7KCABDined on 8/31/2014Once again our group chose Sacks for Sunday Brunch. We had our usual excellent experience. What a great way to enjoy the weekend. Always great. Thanks again Sacks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive And not so prettyLaurentDined on 8/27/2014102$ for one beer, king crab And halibut. We have had to wait more than an jour before having our meals When we left, no Thanks or goodbye ! Not very friendly, very busy and noisy
- Nice MenuFoodieDined on 8/24/2014We enjoyed the menu and the wine list. Not a particularly romantic spot, but after all it is Anchorage, not Paris. I was disappointed that they were out of clams to fill out my MARISCADA dish. And, I wanted amaretto along with my desert and there was none to be found. I was a little surprised to find a good restaurant had none available. But, it is worth a look and remember it is Anchorage and not Paris!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceFinickydinerDined on 8/17/2014Late in the day we needed a good restaurant for dinner. This small restaurant was perfect. The staff was friendly and efficient. We had the halibut curry which was a little spicy but quite delicious.
- Never FailsUK2AKDined on 8/16/2014We've been here a few times and it has never failed. The food is DELICIOUS. My wife dithered between having Duck or Risotto. She went for duck and it was SO tasty. I had the Prawn linguini. The pasta was up there with the best I have ever tasted. The prawns? I think prawns always look a lot more tasty than they are. Usually quite tasteless. This dish was excellent but I wonder what they could do by converting it into a full blown seafood linguini (clams, fish, mussels etc.). Waitress was super nice and knowledgable. Oh yes, the dessert we shared was perfect. I forget what it was called but it was like a sponge thing with cream and (by special request) ice cream. Yum!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BLONDE FOXBlondFoxDined on 8/15/2014THE FOOD WAS MODERATE AT BEST. THE PERSON SEATING US WAS RUDE AND UNCOMPROMISING. THIS SUPPOSEDLY UPSCALE RESTAURANT ONLY SERVES WINE AND BEER.WE COMPLAINED TO THE OWNER ABOUT THE RUDENESS SHOWN TO US UPON BEING SEATED, AND HE RESPONDED REPEATEDLY WITH....BUT HOW WAS YOUR DINNER?... I WILL NEVER BE BACK AND I WILL ADVISE ANYONE GOING TO ANCHORAGE TO AVOID THIS PLACE !! WHAT A TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE IS AN OTHERWISE BEAUTIFUL CITY.
- Fabulous FoodEllaDined on 8/15/2014We dined early on Friday night, and the ambience was perfect, with the right amount and type of music and not too much general noise, just many happy diners around us. I mention the ambience first because it enhanced our experience, but the food was so excellent that I would tolerate a loud place to enjoy it! This is a restaurant where the chefs are constantly imagining new combinations of foods and as far as we can tell from the six dishes we had, hitting it just right every time. They don't just put together foods to be inventive, they combine foods that work together, and even when their idea seems wacky at first (e.g., chocolate peanutbutter creme brulee) the dish turns out to be marvelous. Pickled blackberries with pork? Yes! Go!Special Features:
- Delicious local foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Loved the king salmon special. Perfectly cooked. Enjoyed the home baked bread and pear salad appetizer. Dessert on the sweet side, an apple cake with melted caramel. This place is consistently good--I've never had a bad meal there, and service is always good.Special Features:
- One of my all-time favoritesMikeDined on 8/12/2014I live in Chicago and have been to Sack's at least six times! What more needs to be said. My girlfriend loves it too. FTL48. Make a reservation at Sack's. You won't regret it.Special Features:
- Always a good choice!outandaboutDined on 8/10/2014No need to be in a hurry here! The service is typically on the slow side but the food is always spot on and the chef has an interesting take on dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint, but warm!ClaytonDined on 8/10/2014Small setting, but also a perfect amount of casual in a modern upbeat setting. Warm and inviting, along with good food and friendly staff. The brunch is simple, but delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good choice for perfect dinner .romantic2Dined on 8/9/2014Good choice for a romantic good dinner with excellent service and nice ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointKristeneDined on 8/8/2014Service was excellent. The food was unique and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysKrisDined on 8/6/2014As usual wonderful lunch. We had a nicw relaxing time with good food.Special Features:
- Hidden Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014I was looking for a nice place to treat my husband to a birthday dinner. Someone, including a local chef recommended Sacks. Great food! Great atmosphere! Great Service! Four stars all around! Will definitely go back before we leave Anchorage!Special Features:
- Dee-lish!DmollyoDined on 8/3/2014Went there for Sunday brunch- service and food were outstanding. Three in our party- each had an eggs Benedict variation. All were delicious. Hollandaise was not too heavy- light and flavorful. Service was excellent. Wish there were an experience like this in my hometown.Special Features:
- Yummy as always!CandiDined on 7/29/2014A favorite place to eat while in Anchorage; staff friendly and food wonderful.Special Features:
- Great For BrunchKantishnaakDined on 7/27/2014My 6 yo and I went to brunch and really enjoyed our experience. They have great fresh squeezed o.j. If you want you can add champagne. The migas was absolutely wonderful. There was a great kids coloring menu. I over heard many rave about their food as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It'a about the foodSacksReviewDined on 7/25/2014Sack's offers a creative and ambitious menu -- and one that is changed nightly. Unfortunately, the ambiance and decor befits a nice family diner, not a daring and modern kitchen. I would suggest a a long mirror on the side wall and less local art. Also, perhaps a large bouquet of flowers at the entrance and just a tad of local art that better represents the menu. I would also lose the high tables, which are more befitting of a pizza joint or brewery. Finally, while our head food server (a young pretty woman, medium height with blonde hair) was outstanding, unfortunately, her assistant was a disaster. But I am out of space to describe the assistant's many foibles committed the night we dined at Sack's. She is an older woman...Special Features:
- Great DinnerKrisDined on 7/25/2014As always great dinner. Great for birthday dinner.Special Features:
- Artistically presentedLocal30VIPDined on 7/21/2014Having read many positive reviews, we made this our first stop in Anchorage. Menu was very interesting with many appealing items but food was a bit bland for my taste. Others in my group were very satisfied so am guessing it was just what I ordered that underwhelmed me a bit. Definitely foodie quality and worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent...againJenniJSDined on 7/17/2014Sacks never fails to impress. The food is always excellent and the menu is interesting enough for a group to be happy. Wine list is not huge, but covers a decent range.Special Features:
- My favorite restaurant downtownExcursionatorDined on 7/16/2014Sacks Café is my favorite place to dine for lunch and brunch on the weekends. They change their menu often so there are always new items on it and the food is outstanding.Special Features:
- Surprised to be disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2014I am a fan of Sacks. Let's say that first. In past visits I have been delighted by the preparations, the presentation. As I said; I am a fan. But I have to say that I was disappointed this time. My halibut was overlooked for one, and the plate was so busy as to be distracting. I had the pear salad to start. I found the Kahlua infusion heavy. I will go back, to be sure - but I'll be hoping for better, dare I say simpler, preparations that trust the quality of the produce and fish.
- A Great Find in Anchorage AKOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014We dined here twice while visiting Anchorage AK because the food and service were excellent. Our first dining experience was for a late lunch. The restaurant is on the small side but seating wasn't a problem. Our servers were polite and professional. They were knowledgeable about the menu offerings and wine pairings. My crab cake entree was terrific. The dessert we selected was an apple spice cake with caramel chili sauce and slightly sweetened whipped cream. Just the right amount of sweet and savory. While we don't anticipate returning to Anchorage AK soon we most certainly would recommend it to any of our friends or family that might be going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceAnchorageTouristDined on 7/5/2014We made a reservation for a party of 3 for what we hoped would be a memorable brunch on our last day in Anchorage. A party of four followed us in and was seated next to us. Their order was taken and food served before our beverages were delivered. After a long wait, the wrong entree was served to one member in our party. The food was ok - not great, not bad.Special Features:
- Fantastic Jambalaya!ExcursionatorDined on 6/30/2014I love the fresh seafood and dine here often. They change the menu all the time so I can be a consistent guest and still find something new several times a week.Special Features:
- Back Again7KCABDined on 6/29/2014Our group returned to Sacks once again and as usual, the food was fantastic. The only small glitch was that our server was new and was not quite up to the usual Sacks standards but did get the job accomplished.Special Features:
- foodieDined on 6/25/2014Sack's appearance defies its excellence in dining experience. The entrees are imaginative and prepared with originality and taste. The service is personal, never far away yet not in the face. Our dining experience was one of the best in Anchorage.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotUKGirlDined on 6/23/2014Sacks Cafe is a great lunch spot in downtown Anchorage. I enjoyed a fantastic lunch here with a friend. Unique items on the menu like homemade tomato ketchup to go with the homemade potato fries, lavender maple vinaigrette dressing, and a vegetarian sandwich. Food was tasty, excellent wine and beer list, great service. Altogether a wonderful lunch, I will come back! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably good foodYogaenthusiastVIPDined on 6/20/2014We've dined here many times, and will do so again. The food is always reliably good and the service attentive.Special Features:
- Excellent!KDeliaDined on 6/9/2014We brought visiting family in for their last night in Alaska and everything was fantastic! We particularly enjoyed the buttered popcorn ice cream for dessert! Thank you for everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for business lunchesBarbaraAlaskaVIPDined on 6/9/2014I can always rely on Sacks to provide a great lunch - enjoyable and a great atmosphere - in which I can meet with colleagues.Special Features:
- Energetic, sincere service!GearDined on 6/9/2014I love it when I get a server who says honestly their favorite foods and shares enthusiastically! Great job. Made my trek to downtown for lunch even more worthwhile.Special Features:
- An early brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2014sacks atmosphere is reserved and warm, a ace we regularly go with Friends. The food is done very well. Portions are not to big, leaving you with a second meal take home in a brown bag. Instead, there serving size is more European, with a uniquely flavor, presented as you would for a much touted 4-star resturant. Sacks' menu is not over done with endless choices, what they offer is very good and memorable. When company is is town, we recommend Sacks, same when I business associates in town from Washington D.C., Sacks is a faviorate. Staff is attentive and not pushy, knowledgable, pleasant and truly enjoy workng. When you feel like a late breakfast, visit Sacks and try the French Toast and a great cup of coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2014Dessert was the highlight: chocolate-chip carrot cake with bourbon sauce was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious seafoodsealoverDined on 5/24/2014Traveling in Alaska, we were always seeking and finding good seafood. The 3 small dishes we ordered at Sacks were diverse and perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not very impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The night we went to Sacks Cafe was my son's 22 birthday. He ordered something he had eaten there before and it was good. My husband and other son ordered steak medium well. The steak was rare. The waitress did not ever ask how the food was, even tho my husband ate everything around the meat and left it there. My son accidentally spilled his water. No one from the wait staff came over to help us as we mopped the table up. When given the bill, an 18% tip was already figured in even tho there were only 6 of us. We were not pleased with the lack of service but paid generously and left.
- Consistently great foodAkGardenerDined on 5/17/2014Sack's was excellent; I'm a regular and love the food and service. I had the halibut and it was cooked perfectly. As was the bruschetta appetizer and the flourless chocolate cake. Well, I'm getting hungry again....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceAk1972Dined on 5/16/2014The hostess was too busy to even give us a smile and to welcome us. But we got seated right away since we had RSVP . However our server was great and filet of beef was a good choice. My husband had the pork loin and it has a good mix of flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.