1504 16th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T3C0Z9Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sabrosos.ca/
- Phone: 5873502679x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday & Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Firday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Mike DeGuzman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We can cater any size events either on site or off site.
- Entertainment: Live Latin Musicians every Friday and Saturday, music to listen to or to get up and dance a little.
A word from Sabroso Restaurant
Sabroso (sah-bróh-so) adjective: Delightful, pleasurable, entertaining, delicious, lovely … To produce this delicious fusion we have used two main ingredients: great Chefs from Calgary, to whom we are permanently indebted, and our Latin roots; out of the richness of cuisines from over 15 Latin countries is where we have derived our inspiration. Cocina Nuevo Latino is loyal to its origins: it keeps the spices, the mixes, and flavors but fuses it with local ingredients, with global techniques to appeal to local palates, to help it make sense in this local context. We have carefully selected the best of Latin America’s wines to pair with our menu; beers from Mexico to Argentina to delight you and your guests; spirits and cocktails together with delicious non-alcoholic beverages to complement our food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Sabroso Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Sabroso Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (27)romantic (23)good for groups (21)great for outdoor dining (9)great for lunch (9)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- International Menu! Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014If you are looking for a great service, nice ambient and different menu.. this is the place.Special Features:
- great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Had lunch here and the food was just okay. But the service was fantastic! Very friendly and attentive. We also learned they have latino dancing on friday and saturday nights which sounds like fun.Special Features:
- not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014the reviews are mixed on this place and i will say that mine are very clear. I did not like any of the tapas we ordered.dry, or bland or just deep fried. the plantains were like rocks and heavily salted, the pork belly was so over fried and dry , the list goes on. the wine list is so short, and narrow focus . I tried 4 different tapas and had nothing positive to say other then mediocre at best.
- Return visitHappy2reportDined on 9/6/2014This was our third visit .. And it just keeps getting better! Live music is excellent and not intrusive. We'll be back again!Special Features:
- Fantastic Place! Fanstastic Owner!shaft181Dined on 9/6/2014Second time here, what a great restaurant. Just the perfect amount of food. Very well done and tasty. Great, fast serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guaranteed GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014A Calgary favorite be it with one special person or a group of 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just oknotaregularDined on 8/31/2014The food is just ok and the service is not the greatest. I did like the Brazilian background music.
- Good atmosphere, bland foodLike2eatDined on 8/31/2014We ate early so the noise level was not bad. We chose the restaurant because the menu looked interesting. We were treated extremely well by the staff and manager which made the evening better than would have been expected. It was suggested that the food had a Peruvian fusion flavour. The food was OK but bland. If that is what you like it would be good. The fish at the restaurant was breaded and standard with some seafood salsa on top. Nothing interesting. We have eaten in Peru and we had some very good meals. The fish there was excellent. I have had the same dish in Mexico which was excellent but was nothing like here. If they would include more flavours in their meals I would go back.Special Features:
- Decent spot for a quiet dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Although I was a little underwhelmed with the flavors presented in each of the dishes I ordered, this is a great little spot for a quiet dinner. The food was not heavily seasoned (or seasoned at all it would seem) so definitely a safe option for families with children. The ambiance was great especially with the live music on Friday and Saturday evenings. I will check it out again - even if it's just for the yummy desserts and a cup of coffee.Special Features:
- new and greatbaypoDined on 8/30/2014enjoyed the food at sabroso---everything was delicious--would recommend more choice drink wise but curteous server and very attentive. would recommendSpecial Features:
- Great findDaisyDined on 8/28/2014Awesome service, great food at reasonable price. Will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodBookclubDined on 8/28/2014My bookclub and I (total of 5 women) dined here on August 28, 2014 and it was fantastic. The restaurant wasn't very busy which was fine with us, the service was great, and the food even better. I will be going back to check out their live music on Friday and Saturday nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful meal at SabrosoLunianaDined on 8/21/2014We had another great meal at Sabroso to celebrate my boyfriend and I's birthdays. It was another lovely meal with very attentive and cheerful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent tapas, attentive servicematteroffact8Dined on 8/19/2014My husband and I came here for a dinner to celebrate our anniversary on a Tuesday night, based on John Gilchrist's recommendation (as we are fond of South American food). Sabroso didn't disappoint. We ordered pisco-based aperitifs (would have preferred pisco sours) and nice glasses of red wine (not a long list when you order by glass, but both our choices were excellent). We settled for four different tapas (including ceviche, of course) and found them all interesting with a good combination of flavors. The service was fast and attentive (it was also a quiet night), and the recommendations the server made all hit the mark. We even had dessert: a shared coconut-based dessert that was also interesting and tasty. We will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014The food was beautifully prepared. Delightful menu. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningbeerhunterDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I had a very nice time at Sabroso on a recent Saturday evening. The food (skirt steak and the paella) was excellent, but the hit for us was the discovery of the South American arepas. These appetizers were very tasty and we are now on the hunt for PAN corn flour. Overall the ambiance was friendly, with both couples and families in attendance. As we were leaving around 9 pm we noticed that Sabroso was a popular place for folks from the Latin community, who apparently were just starting their evening dining.Special Features:
- A gemluv2eatoutDined on 8/9/2014Attentive and friendly service, great food. Loved the ambience with the live music on Friday or Sat.Special Features:
- Lively on a Sat nightmeatnvegVIPDined on 8/9/2014Sabroso has live music on Sat nights which is good entertainment. The tapas options are good with some nice spice to a couple of plates. I think of this place as a "neighbourhood joint" as it is just off 17th Ave giving the place a different theme.Special Features:
- DeliciousrisaroosDined on 8/8/2014We had appetizers, potatoes were delicious, the calamari was also delish, as was the ceviche... My partner enjoyed the pork arepas, but I was expecting chimmichuri sauce, so I didn't enjoy it as much as he did. The Sangria was also quite delicious, and not too strong :)Special Features:
- fabulous food , service and sangriaJFMAKDined on 8/2/2014We walked in and from the moment we arrived the owner sat us down told us about the 'noveau latin' food and his history. The tapas were fantastic, mains were delicious and SANGRIA was to die for! Absolute will be one of our favourites from now on! loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must visitkingwebbDined on 7/26/2014food was authentic, service was great live music was entertaining, but it was not loud and annoying could enjoy the music and still have a conversation at the table this place is greatSpecial Features:
- Loved it!NormaKDined on 7/26/2014Our foursome loved this restaurant. The ambiance was great, our server was excellent, as was our meal. The "regular" mojito was just perfect - frosty and tasty and really beautiful to look at on a hot night. We enjoyed the live music and had a wonderful time together eating at Sabroso. My only reservation on this outstanding meal and great little restaurant was that we ordered the Black Bean and Chicken Tostadas as an appetizer, and at $12.00 we expected more than two tostadas. At $6.00 per tostada, although tasty, I would not recommend to anyone as I feel that's a little bit on the skimpy side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- iluvfoodDined on 7/26/2014- Sever was very friendly - Portions of food were small - Nice ambiance - Decent pricesSpecial Features:
- Correct Reviews1KatrinaDined on 7/26/2014We read the reviews before we went and they were correct. This restaurant was a very pleasant different eating experience in every way. The food was great and different, the waitress was knowledgeable, friendly and funny, the atmosphere was relaxed with lively music in the background (not too loud that we couldn't talk and visit). We were greeted by (Owner/Manager) a pleasant man with a nice smile and later another 'person of power' came over to check on us and ask how things were going. Some 'paying' customs of Latin countries was explained to us as well as telling us about the live performances that would start a little later. We took our son and his lady to this restaurant as a surprise, we were not let down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicejunebugDined on 7/24/2014The service was great! Food was great too. We read some online reviews but when we got to the restaurant, the menu had slightly changed. From previous reviews, the food seemed casual and when we got there, the menu was more upscale. Worth every penny though. The waitress told us what to expect. It's good to see that the staff has had the food! Great place to have a conversation (when there is no band or dancing), you can hear the person your with and not have to shout!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014Very friendly service and the food was amazing! Had plantain chips as an appetizer and the chimichurri steak as an entree. Both were delicious. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedTinaDined on 7/17/2014After hearing amazing reviews about this place, I couldn't wait to check it out. The food was good but for 2 skewers of prawns with 3 each on the skewers, it was $15.00. VERY expensive for very very little food. The main course was okay but nothing to rave about. The service was good..but we were the only ones in the entire restaurant so there was nothing to compare service to.... The waitress was wearing a shirt for a dress with a visible bikin swimsuit under and flip flops for shoes. VERY unprofessional!! Wont be going back.
- Fantastic food and great servicetime2dineDined on 7/12/2014The menu is fantastic. The caipirinhias were very tasty. The live entertainment was definitely a treat and providedo a wonderful ambience for our dinner. Orlando and Alexandro are wonderful hosts and the restaurant is a real gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a really great time.AlexDined on 7/12/2014Live music on the weekends at night. Our server (who I suspect was the owner?) was great. Fast. Super friendly. The menu is not huge, but still has some nice choices. Presentation was gorgeous. And most importantly, it was delicious. We will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for one time tryClassyDinnerVIPDined on 7/11/2014BEWARE!! The resturant menu on OpenTable is not what the menu you will find there. The price list in the resturant is 50% costlier than what is shown here. When I pointed this out to our sever and the owner, they were not surprised at all. Infact the owner said "yes, I know"!! The food wasn't bad but portions were less. With that money we could have dined at any luxurious resturant with a superior ambience.
- Little Food for PriceparalotnikVIPDined on 6/29/2014While the food was good, it wasn't stellar. The amount of food received in the tapas, for the price, was really very little. The service was fantastic.
- A Great Find!YaletownLadDined on 6/26/2014A pleasant and welcoming atmosphere. Both the food and the drinks displayed evidence of tremendous pride in their creation. The food was excellent!Special Features:
- yuca cake was best desert everpletmoDined on 6/20/2014The food was excellent. Everyone raved about the flavours and we ordered a variety of plates. Everything was fresh and delicious. We debated a long time about what desert to have and we had the Yuca Coconut Cake. This was the best desert any of us had ever had!Special Features:
- Great food & wonderful mixed drinksCalgalDined on 6/13/2014The steak with chimichirri sauce is not to be missed. We nearly licked the plate clean, it was that good. The lamb chops were also very good! We shared the bread pudding for dessert and it also was excellent. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!largemargVIPDined on 6/13/2014Excellent food, perfect service...this restaurant is a definite must. The jicama and orange salad was a flavourful starter, crispy and fresh...the calamari were lightly breaded and deliciously spiced...the snapper was yummy and beautifully presented. My hubby's osso bucco was huge, delicious and gone within seconds. And the caprihaina's - yum! Lots of free parking, welcoming, friendly atmosphere - big recommend.Special Features:
- Very good foodBonbonDined on 6/12/2014We have been here at least 6 times and have enjoyed the food very much. The calamari and tuna appetizers are excellent. All the mains are very good. Particularly love the lamb chops and the osso bucco.Special Features:
- such a find!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/11/2014delicious osso bucco and lamb...delicious! used a Travelzoo deal but will be back for sure!Special Features:
- Cozy and deliciousKelseyLeeDined on 6/3/2014Sabroso was absolutely wonderful, big windows, cozy atmosphere and phenomenal food. The food was described to us as 'latin fusion' so if you go expecting something to taste exactly like what you ate in Peru that one time, you're not going to get it. But if you go expecting delicious food, generous portions and beautiful presentation you will not be disappointed. Highly, highly recommend the calamari and the snapper. Both fresh, delicate and paired with wonderful flavours. Not spicy, but very flavourful. It was quite quiet when we went, on a Tuesday evening at 6:30, but I am telling everyone I know to go, and I know I will be going again soon. We have to keep this place in business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014My second visit to Sabroso. Same great food but this time the service was as bad as I've experienced anywhere in many years. Our server was obviously brand new or just didn't care. She used an iphone to take the orders, which made her appear to be texting and just blankly stared into the phone as she went around our table. I've seen this done done before with much more interaction with the guests, so it is possible. The food showed up in timely fashion and all 5 of us agreed it was wonderful. Then after not even one visit to our table during our dinner, to check on us, she finally appeared upon our table of stacked, dirty dishes and asked how we were doing and left....without clearing the table of anything... Better luck next time, maybe!
- business regularbiznessregularVIPDined on 5/30/2014Another place I would definitely bring clients. The service was warm and efficient....but the food was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.