Sabor of Spain
1301 Fourth St
San Rafael, CA 94901Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
Sabor of Spain
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saborofspain.com/
- Phone: 4154578466
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Tuesday - Thursday, and Sunday: 5pm - 6pm Dinner: Tuesday and Wednesday: 5pm - 9:30pm Thursday: 5pm - 10pm Friday - Saturday: 5pm - 11pm Sunday: 5pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Mediterranean, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Gesser De Leon
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call us for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Call for details:
- Private Party Contact: Scott Scheidt 4154578466
A word from Sabor of Spain
Sabor of Spain means "Flavor of Spain" - Expression of Life through food, wine and companionship. Sabor of Spain brings not only the best wines, foods and products from Spain, but it provides the "ambiente" which is central to Spanish life by offering the experience of socializing through modern Spanish cuisine and social events. Sabor of Spain creates a unique destination - and it is the only place that offers a Spanish-only wine bar and "alta cocina" - vinoteca style - a fun way of dining, socializing and shopping under one umbrella! Located in downtown San Rafael just a short drive across Golden Gate Bridge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sabor of Spain reviews from OpenTable diners
- Out of business?ChitowngirlVIPDined on 9/25/2012The restaurant was not open for business when I arrived. It was dark and empty.
- OK butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012the tapas plates good with the exception of the meatballs the selected entree ,a pallea should have been a tapa since it was a small serving. also this pallea was greasy and it appears it wasn't served with saffron rice as described on the menue we gave the waiter our comment and he brought us a couple of coupons toward our next visitSpecial Features:
- We have been to Sabor manyOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/1/2012We have been to Sabor many times and enjoyed an excellent meal and service -the timing of our recent visit must have been off, maybe there was a shift change - but our waitress did not inform us of the evenings specials, well after the start of the meal the bus person asked if we wanted bread - we said yes and then he never came back with it - we finally had to flag down the waitress to get the bread- the usually excellent tortilla was overcooked and the potatoes were mealy- the tiger prawns were overly salty, the stuffed eggplant was excellent as were the empanadas- so overall we had to reduce our usually very good ratings to good and fair.
- One of the few places openmsk6261VIPDined on 8/10/2012One of the few places open later in San Rafael. Service was attentive and friendly. Food was fresh and the portions would be considered large for Tapas style dining. Unfortunately, they have scaled down their menu (both dinner and wine) and our favorite dishes have changed their recipes so that they seem to have lost their authenticity to Spanish cuisine.Special Features:
- Decently good Spanish food,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2012Decently good Spanish food, not entirely traditional, friendly staff.
- Food is not as good as itLuvsfoodVIPDined on 7/24/2012Food is not as good as it used to be, although the presentation is nice. We will not return.
- Overpriced mediocre food lacksPhilDined on 7/17/2012Overpriced mediocre food lacks imagination will not be retuning
- We had a small group of 4MizDeeDined on 7/11/2012We had a small group of 4 women, 2 with dietary restrictions (one vegetarian, the other gluten intolerant). But we were able to find plenty of dishes to satisfy everyone!Special Features:
- Everything was terrific--fromAndyManDined on 7/7/2012Everything was terrific--from food to service to physical environment. The only unusual factor was the outside noise from the San Rafael Twilight Criterium, a bike race that was occurring in front of the restaurant as we were eating. Since that's why we chose to eat there (i.e., to attend the event), we found it enjoyable.Special Features:
- Having just returned fromOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/1/2012Having just returned from Barcelona, our expectations were high. Unfortunately we were disappointed in the offerings. Food was mediocre, service was spotty. Wait staff was nice though. Don't think we will be back...
- Wonderful cuisine and goodMarieODined on 5/12/2012Wonderful cuisine and good variety. There was a live band playing low key but upbeat music with good musicians.Special Features:
- Service and food were great,theleslieVIPDined on 4/21/2012Service and food were great,the sqid skewers so tender.Special Features:
- Great meal and interestingPEandDEDined on 4/17/2012Great meal and interesting wine selections, not inexpensive but we enjoyed it all.Special Features:
- I have eaten Sabor of Spain'sMirvineDined on 4/15/2012I have eaten Sabor of Spain's catered food before and was excited to eat at the restaurant as their food was always very good. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed. The server was very nice, polite, and informative, when we could find him. The place was not even half full and still the tapas came out one at a time with enough time in between that we were left thinking if maybe he hadn't heard our whole order and that was all we were getting. The four of us received three Piquillos, three Empanada, and three pinchos de calamar. Charge more if need be, but each person should be able to try each dish. Food was rather one dimensional and overpriced for what it was. Wine list was not too impressive either and also expensive.
- wooden seats on chairs becameOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/13/2012wooden seats on chairs became uncomfortable after an hour, wine list for Spanish wines should be more extensive, server was very helpful and service was fast, overall good impression would likely return for tapas which were excellent
- Great spot for tapas and reasonablyOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/4/2012Great spot for tapas and reasonably priced wine list (which is small, but a handful of varieties from California, Spain, France, etc. All of our dishes were excellent - loved the tri color salad (avocado, tomato & buratta cheese though the kicker was the green chilis) - so good...Special Features:
- We took our picky 13 yearOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2012We took our picky 13 year old son and our "foodie" 17 year old daughter and had a great time. We especially enjoyed the very talented jazz group that added to the experience. This is our 2nd time here, and we liked all the dishes ordered -- paella, empanada's, eggplant rolls, chicken skewers, meatballs and mashed potatoes. The Flan was like a spoonful of paradise and the bread pudding with caramel sauce was out of this world.Special Features:
- Sabor of Spain was a delight!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2012Sabor of Spain was a delight! The food was delicious and the ambiance was great. I would definitely recommend it to friends.
- The decor is beautiful andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/10/2012The decor is beautiful and the service was great. The food was hit and miss. The calamari and albondigas were bland, but the shrimp, salad, olives and meat/cheese tray were great. The olives are served hot with spicy peppers.Special Features:
- Virtually all the dishes areDickVIPDined on 3/8/2012Virtually all the dishes are good except for the meatballs. They're too small and it comes with mostly mashed potatoes which is so, so.
- Really nice selection of tapasMVFanVIPDined on 3/4/2012Really nice selection of tapas which actually were better than most of the tapas we had in Spain the last trip. The wine list fits well with the food and the servers were quite helpful. Pacing by the kitchen is not the best.Special Features:
- The food at the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/26/2012The food at the restaurant was not what I remember. The meatballs were anemic.
- Valentine's Day yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Great food with lots of variety of tastes! The scallops were awesome, and the dates wrapped with bacon - just divine!Special Features:
- Great find. Good food, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/11/2012Great find. Good food, great service and lovely anbiance. We'll return oftenSpecial Features:
- not the best with kidsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/28/2011I felt the food was somewhat overpriced. The server was nice, but some of the food didn't come out together and we waited for water refills.Special Features:
- First time at Sabor of Spain,BarbaraVIPDined on 12/23/2011First time at Sabor of Spain, great food....would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Sabor gets better every time5u7chVIPDined on 12/21/2011Sabor gets better every time we go. I had the Paella and loved it. I was happy to find a paella with no tomatoes! Also, they had grilled (not fried) calamari!Special Features:
- Spanish wines are the themeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/18/2011Spanish wines are the theme of this tapas/wine bar, also serving a few large plates. The quality was nice and the service is very good, but I think- as with most tapas bars- the prices are high for what you get. I'm sure there are reasons for this, they just aren't apparent to me, and even though I love the food and the wine is great, I always end up spending way more than I wanted to going in....
- Being big fans of all thingsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/13/2011Being big fans of all things Spanish, we were excited to try out Sabor of Spain. We tried the prix fix meal with the wine pairings for $50 per person. The mussels with chorizo was so savory that I wanted to order more. The paella was also a bit light on rice, but full of tasty meats and seafood. We let the waiter chose the wines for each course and they paired very well together. We were not disappointed and will come back for more.Special Features:
- Tapas Keeps You Coming Back!AustinNewbiesVIPDined on 12/4/2011Sabor of Spain is becoming one of our great stand-bys. Always good food and excellant service. Still a bit on the expensive side so watch your alcohol intake as that truly raises the price tag. But the tapas keeps you coming back for more! Take the 1000 points too!Special Features:
- Excellent restauarant in downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/2/2011Excellent restauarant in downtown San Rafael. Service is very attentive - food is fabulous. Their varied selection of Tapas makes it a real dining experience.Special Features:
- Very efficient and attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/26/2011Very efficient and attentive service. The paella was delicious but for the price, the serving should have been larger.Special Features:
- Love the datilles wrappedOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/22/2011Love the datilles wrapped in bacon, piquillos, and their new additions crab cakes and serrano ham rolled in polenta. Delish tapas and great service. Great happy hour specials (2 for 1 tapas and half off house wines).Special Features:
- Personality disorderOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/9/2011This place has a little bit of a split personality. It's priced like a semi-fancy restaurant ($19-$24 entrees, $8-$10 wines) and the decor mostly fits that image. There are large windows and glossy black tables pre-set with wine glasses glinting. Yet above the bar area there is a large fat-screen TV that is visible from almost every table in the restaurant, which really ruins the sophisticated ambience. I don't want to see commercials over the shoulder of the person I came with. Also there was some sort of distorted-guitar rock & roll playing on the soundsystem during the first part of our meal. So you decide: sports bar or fancy restaurant? The food was tasty but nothing to write home about, and the service was excellent.
- Amazing TapasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/4/2011Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly hostess, she was ready to seat us promptly, however we decided to dine at the bar where a handsome bartender answered questions about the various wines on the menu, he allowed us to sample a couple before making a choice. We decided to share a few of the tapas and were not dissappointed. We're looking forward to going back to sample the others.Special Features:
- Food excellent..truly enjoyable...OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/27/2011Food excellent..truly enjoyable... and service outstanding..My wife and I are senior's..we went for a dining experience..at least a table cloth..not 2 seaters practically in the lap of the adjoining diners...not for TV sports broadcast...not for music with a loud monotonous beat..not for viewing the street traffic..had to change the position of my chair to minimize the traffic view...was a good place for ..30's 40's and maybe 50's not for seniors....again..service was excellent...food was truly outstanding and enjoyable ambiance, for us not good..maybe if we were 30 years younger...Special Features:
- Been here at least 8times,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2011Been here at least 8times, love the food and atmosphere. The selection of Spanish wine is tasty. Also good for special occasions.Special Features:
- Very , very good food.GoodcaylacVIPDined on 10/19/2011Very , very good food.Good service once they were reminded. Seemed short staffed but well meaning.Special Features:
- Hits and misses on food andOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/13/2011Hits and misses on food and wine list. Want it to be better.
- Our experience is that SaborOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/25/2011Our experience is that Sabor of Spain is consistently excellent - both the food and the service. We enjoyed the Zarzuela fish stew, the Paella and the filet of sole. As always, the Tapas were delicious, including the calamari skewers and the flaky Empanadas (turnovers). Even the piped in bankground music was wonderful and helped set the scene. On other nights we have enjoyed the live music as well.Special Features: