Sabor De Cuba
9 E. Patrick St.
Frederick, MD 21701Neighborhood:
CubanPrice: $30 and under
Sabor De Cuba
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sabordecubarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3016631036x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 11:30 am - 8:30 pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
Sunday: 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Cuban
- Executive Chef: Angel Gattorno
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private room in the back that will seat up to 20 people.
- Private Party Contact: Irieska Caetano 2404179699x
A word from Sabor De Cuba
Its authenticity unmatched, Sabor de Cuba crashes the emerging Frederick dining scene with aromas and flavors that evoke the island's rich culinary heritage. Owners Irieska Caetano and Angel Gattorno bring enthusiasm and vision to their cozy new digs in the heart of the downtown area. As chef, Gattorno draws on closely held family recipes to enhance a menu of traditional Cuban favorites. Dine in a family-friendly environment where the service is as first class as the meal itself.Continued
Simple food, complex flavors. Is such a thing even possible?
At Sabor de Cuba, we think yes.
Simple food, complex flavors. Is such a thing even possible?
At Sabor de Cuba, we think yes.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sabor De Cuba reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (8)great for lunch (8)good for groups (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (4)special occasion (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Yummy Cuban foodKDTTVIPDined on 10/18/2014The cafe con leche is good as are the pressed sandwiches.the restaurant is lively and the staff are very attentive. I'd highly recommend the shrimp appetizer. It bursts with flavor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerFarknightDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I dined here before a show at the Weinberg Theater. Excellent Cuban food, great snapper. The also have Presidente Beer which is the flavor of the Caribbean. Service was attentive without being too present. Not a very big establishment so reservation would be advised on busy weekend nights. Great location right in the heart of downtown Frederick.Special Features:
- TheRussianDined on 9/23/2014Food was authentic, the service and the great attitude of the staff was commendable. I will return and recommend this place to my friends, especially my Cuban friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sabroso!TiggerDined on 9/7/2014Had another wonderful experience at this lovely restaurant. Belated birthday celebration for me and well worth the drive up from Germantown. I am a 'ropa vieja' addict and just have to have it every time I visit because it is so delicious. As usual my mojito was freshly-made and refreshing, the frijoles negros perfectly seasoned and the platanos delightfully sweet to balance the richness of the rest of the meal. Our server Nevada remembered us, even though it's been a few months since my last visit and her service was fast, friendly and excellent. So happy to have this gem of a restaurant, with its lovely décor and ambience just up the road. Terrific.Special Features:
- I love cuban food - Could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014I ordered stuffed plantains and roasted pork w/ black beans and rice. The ground beef in the stuffed plantains seemed to be dried out from sitting in a pan for a long period of time. The flavor was good but it was warm instead of hot. The roasted pork was delicious but the beans with the rice was too soupy. My dish had 1/4 cup beans and 1/2 cup of liquid. It seemed I was short changed beans. Do not bother with the mojitos but I really enjoyed the sangria. We were sat too close to the kitchen making our dining experience a little louder than expected. I did not hate this restaurant but will not be recommending to friends.Special Features:
- Great New Findklp01Dined on 8/16/2014Our family loves Cuban food, and this place was a gem. I would highly recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- It was okBarbFVIPDined on 8/10/2014The food tasted good and the servings were plentiful. I like to try new places and lunch is usually a great way. I did not like that on Sundays you are required to order from the dinner menu all day. Won't return.
- Big surprise in small package!GuinnessDined on 8/8/2014Excellent location in charming downtown Frederick. Small exterior but opens into larger restaurant. Not huge, make reservations at keadt for weekend evenings. Menu offers good selection. Excellent service for my party of five. I will return. The OpenTable link was eady and efficient!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Culinary Gem in FrederickTangDined on 8/8/2014Authentic Cuban food, very friendly and attentive servers, great drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for nay occasion!momof3Dined on 7/25/2014The food here is outstanding one of my families favorite place to eat. Their flan is my favorite, best I ever had. In fact EVERYTHING on the menu is delicious. The food is great and the service is even better! They are super friendly and go out of their way to insure you are happy with your food and experience!Special Features:
- nice findlinoueDined on 7/20/2014We stopped at that restaurant on our way back home and we were very pleased good food, nice portions, yummy caramel flan (I think it s a vanilla caramel one that we chose) will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Excellent Everything!NotTooFooFooDined on 7/19/2014We love this restaurant, great food, great location in downtown, the service is wonderful - the consistent staff remembers us. Prices are more than reasonable. Fresh authentic food. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cuban foodbohio2loveDined on 6/29/2014The flavors of Cuba are certainly in the dishes served, the friendliness of the staff, and the mojitos the owner mixes. Lovely, enchanting "bohio" seating in the back of the restaurant where 12 guests can sit together and feel like they're on the island enjoying mojitos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was done perfectlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014We had been trying to find a good place to eat Cuban food for a while and were glad that we were able to finally find a place that not nly had amazing food, but also an amazing service to go along with it. We were so glad that they were able to accommodate for the size of our group, and made the place feel more welcoming than we have felt in many previous establishments. We definitely recommend this place, and will be coming back again.Special Features:
- The following 51 reviews are from the Sabor De Cuba reviews archive.
- The Taste of Cuba!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/13/2014Sabor de Cuba is one our favorite restaurants in Frederick. The flavors and cuisine are genuine Cuban, and the service is very friendly and prompt. We'll go back many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!FrankittDined on 6/8/2014We shared three appetizers and one entree, and all were delicious. The chicken empanadas had great flavor, although a little on the dry side. The shrimp in garlic sauce was also wonderful. Our shared entree, the grilled steak, was perfectly prepared and very flavorful. We substituted the tostones for the sweet plantains, and enjoyed those as well. There was no surcharge for sharing an entree, which we appreciated, as this practice annoys us. Service was impeccable -- both friendly and efficient, and the arrival of our dishes was well timed. We will definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will go backdjvnetDined on 6/1/2014I think we surprised them even though we had reservations for our party of 7, they seemed to not know we were coming. Once past that, we tried the empanadas and everyone ordered a different dish. Simple, tasty, and hot: each was very good...and the meals came out fast. No complaints: good food at a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mucho ExcellenteNotTooFooFooDined on 5/30/2014The food and service at Sabor de Cuba is excellent! Very authentic, great flavors, and all the staff are wonderful. I highly recommend this place. Try the sizzling shrimp appetizer, its sooooo good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Place for Family DinnerhowardDined on 5/17/2014We went with the family to Sabor De Cuba on a Saturday night. Every element of the experience was great. We were seated quickly and greated by friendly staff. The waiter recommended - and we ordered a delicious appetizer. The dinner food came out quickly. The tastes and smells of the food were a nice change for us. The price was reasonable.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014The food was good and the service was great, prob;ably need more TV screens and waitresses need little more enthusiasm, other than that it was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must have appetizersPedraoDined on 5/11/2014Cozy atmosphere, superb attention from staff gave my 5 party group a good first impression. Appetizers were chosen randomly and all were tremendously tasty. Recommend empanadas, shrimp tarte over banana based pie, top notch. Surprisingly the entrees were not so good, specially the chicken with yellow rice. Overall a very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2014Although it was a bit loud. (We had a group of 6) it was a great! The food was so tasty, we all tasted each others dish and it was all delicious. The service was very good and the price was not bad. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love it...scurbanaDined on 5/2/2014Consistently good - potato balls are always first! We tried the bistec & shrimp enchilados & they rocked! I prefer maduros to tostones & it's never a problem to switch. Short & not fancy wine list, which is what we like when kickin it Cuban style!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great find!DJOlovesdiningDined on 4/13/2014We found Sabor with an Internet search because we love to drive to Frederick from Sykesville. What a find! Great Cuban food - if you like shrimp, must try sizzling shrimp and/or tostones rellenos. Tres leches was wonderful. Also, it's nice to be in a place where the chef comes out and speaks to all of his guests - Sabor us relatively small - and has a genuine interest in serving his guests well. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good but itCarluitarDined on 4/6/2014Food was very good but it took long time to arrive! They do not offer bread or anything to start so the wait seemed longer. Service was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsMDMarkDined on 3/8/2014This was my fourth trip to Sabor De Cuba and I have not had a bad experience yet. The wait staff is gracious and friendly. The food is so flavorful and the portions are very generous. I would highly recommend the Tostones rellenos de carne to start with. My favorite entree is the Bistec de Palomilla, but you really cannot go wrong with anything you choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Sandwiches for LunchMatt59Dined on 2/25/2014Sabor de Cuba is a place my wife and I had dined at for a date night and thought it was wonderful food. But I had never had lunch until recently. My two lunch companions and I had sandwiches for varying types and I thought mine (a Cuban pork sandwich) was excellent. The location in Frederick is great (close to two parking garages) and the service at lunch was a bit intrusive since discussions usually take place at lunches and those may want to be private.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodivy1Dined on 2/22/2014I was glad I decided to try this restaurant. The food was flavorful, the ambiance was intimate and the service was really good. I especially loved the dessert (flan). It was creamy and sweet. Definitely going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is good, service was terrible.CasualDinerDined on 2/22/2014We had reservations at 7:30. We arrived promptly at 7:20 and were told our table would be ready shortly, at 7:40, table wasn't ready. Worse, they sat a party ahead of us w/out a reservation. I brought this to the host he said "I forgot about you". We had to wait another 15 min. Our table did not have silverware. Once seated, the server forgot to bring wife's wine order. By the time the wine arrived, my wife was almost done with her meal. The food was tostones rellenos, bistec, and cuban sandwich. The mojito tasted ok, but it was quite warm. Suggestion, if you forget to seat someone who made a reservation and arrived on time, some gesture (e.g. drink / dessert) should be made to acknowledge the oversight from the restaurant.
- Looking forward to going backnew2areaDined on 2/15/2014I recently moved to western Maryland from Ft. Lauderdale where there was an abundance of ethnic restaurants to choose from. Cuban food has always been a favorite of mine and I was thrilled when I saw that there was a Cuban restaurant near us. Sabor De Cuba is located in a really cool part of Frederick that has many other restaurants and shops to enjoy. Our server was very friendly, attentive and welcoming. Our food was really good. My wife even enjoyed her dish and she does not normal go for Latin cuisine. I am looking forward to returning during lunch for a tasty Cuban sandwich. The only down side to our visit was that we were seated right by the kitchen so our even was not quite as romantic as it otherwise would have been. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sabor de CubacherobrienVIPDined on 2/14/2014I love this restaurant. The food is great and the service is wonderful. It was Valentine's Day and they presented be with a beautiful pink rose bud. That just made an already fabuluous dinner even better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it...scurbanaDined on 2/7/2014such a refreshing change in Frederick;making a reservation is worth it, they don't get busy but so far each time we have just gotten better seating and I am pretty sure the reservation helped.Special Features:
- Sabor De Cuba is part of theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/31/2014Sabor De Cuba is part of the Frederick Maryland downtown ambience, and as such is a tasteful addition to the thirty or so other eating establishments, and does come within a family budget, or a family on vacation. We had four entrees, and all tasted good. As for the Cuban aspect...... We are from Tampa, Florida, and we have the Columbia Restaurant and Pipo's which are Spanish (from Spain) and many Cuban, Ybor City, eateries, and Sabor De Cuba uses butter, which no one down here uses. Also, the seasonings are not Cuban by any means. We have been eating at these places since 1983.Special Features:
- Walked by and thought should try...wvh1007Dined on 1/25/2014IWe have walked by Sabor De Cuba many times and wondered what it was like. We made reservations for a Saturday evening and were surprised at the interior of this place! Well lit, well decorated, and clean. The food was outstanding and the service could not have been better. Everyone who worked there was extremely friendly for how busy this place was.......with that stated, don't go on the weekend without a reservation. Five stars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Pros, Server was great flan and guava chees puff were good Cons, house jalapeno and habanero margaritas, $8.00 each, served warm and Shrimp were old and mushy, not fresh. Black beans weak, like out of a can. Three people had dinner with the check over $100.00 for 4 drinks and 3 entrees, 2 desserts. I cannot recommend this restaurant
- REAL Cuban food!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/25/2014Very Authentic food! My wife's family is from Cuba and Peru, so we have been lucky enough to enjoy many home cooked meals, and Sabor De Cuba is the real thing. The stuffed Tostones (Tostones rellenos de carne) are a terrific app, the fried Yuca is a must have side dish with any meal. The Ropa Vieja and the Pernil were fabulous. We will be back again and again!Special Features:
- Enjoyable experienceDaveDined on 1/18/2014I was looking for a Cuban restaurant in the Frederick area and came across Sabor De Cuba. I am so glad I found this place. The food was terrific, service was attentive, full service bar. Definitely save room for the Flan, it was killer. I will be going back.Special Features:
- Great foodHomer2Dined on 12/27/2013Everything made to order and fresh. Delicious margaritas especially the habanero one!!! Good sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sabor de CubacherobrienVIPDined on 12/20/2013I've been here several times and have not been disappointed. Very good food and friendly people. Right off the square in the center of town, this restaurant is an asset to the City of Frederick (a town that loves good food...).Special Features:
- Cuban Restaurant in FrederickcherobrienVIPDined on 11/30/2013Food is excellent. I've been there a couple of times and each time it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.