Sabor A Cafe
2435 W. Peterson Ave
Chicago, IL 60659Neighborhood:
ColombianPrice: $30 and under
Sabor A Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saboracaferestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7738786327
- Hours of Operation:
Monday & Wednesday: 11:00am - 9:00pm, Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Friday: 11:00am - 1:30am, Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am, Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Colombian, South American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: We feature live music on the weekends
A word from Sabor A Cafe
Welcome to our traditional authentic Colombian restaurant. We offer a variety of dishes and the convenience of a full bar. The atmosphere in our dining room will make you feel the warmth of the far away South American land right here in Chicago. We understand that our guests want more that the average dining experience that’s why we are committed to turn simple meals into celebrations that will make you come back for more. We look forward to serving you among our esteemed guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sabor A Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance2.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (2)kid-friendly (1)romantic (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Colombian ComfortLotharVIPDined on 9/4/2014Very good, basic Colombian fare. Very authentic. Service can be hit or miss (also authentic Colombian). Live entertainment can be a bit cheesy, but in no way offensive or intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colombian ComfortLotharVIPDined on 8/7/2014Very good, basic Colombian fare. Sorta cheesy live entertainment, but not offensive.Special Features:
- A favorite casual place...NellyDined on 6/28/2014We always enjoy going back to this restaurant. There's something for everyone :)Special Features:
- poorly trained, indolent staffOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014Arrived before my 5:00p.m. reservation for two, and was ignored for a full 5 minutes while the clerk I faced fiddled with pencil and paper. This clerk responded to questions from staff, but looked directly through me as if I didn't exist. When my tolerance was exhausted I ask how long this clerk intended to ignore me and was told she was 'very busy,' before returning to her pencil and paper. Having exhausted my patience I protested loudly enough to arouse a manager's attention. (Could have been the proprietor.) He asked me to explain the problem. Receiving the identical indolence from his clerk, he tried to mollify me. Unfortunately I refuse to be treated like this, departing without dining. Please do not patronize this restaurant.
- The following 16 reviews are from the Sabor A Cafe reviews archive.
- Food is good, BUT....ChachoDined on 5/9/2014Our dinner was amazing- good flavor, options, & portion sizes, however, the dessert was not so good. We had the arroz con leche & platano maduro con queso. We were seated in the back room at a table that could sit a party of four, however, we came with a party of six. Our plates didn't even all fit. With a drink per person on the table, our plates were nearly half off the table. The customer service was good, but we could have used a few more rounds to ask if we needed more drinks. I like restaurants that are a bit dim, but this place took it to a whole new level. I could barely see what I was eating it was so dark in there. I had a headache all night because my eyes were trying really hard to focus. Next time I'll be sitting in the front!
- Great neighborhood spotgopinkaDined on 5/7/2014We love Sabor A Café. We come here two or three times a month, both for lunch and dinner ,and bring our friends The empanadas are the best anywhere, freshly made and crunchy. We usually order the arepas and the pinxtos as well. Service is always friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live music & good foodJellyBellyVIPDined on 4/4/2014The dim lighting made it very difficult to read the menu that was printed in red font on black paper, so we all had our phones out! We started with an appetizer of the beef empanadas, which were OK. But my entree was the highlight: I'd ordered the carne asada & it was absolutely delicious! Seasoned perfectly but there were some fatty, chewy parts on the end that I did have to spit out. Again, it's very dim in here. The ambiance is nice, the live music did not play the entire time though, which surprised me. My one "big" complaint would be the service, my friend had ordered his entree & checked with 3 different people. It took forever for his meal to arrive. There is no sense of urgency & I ran out of water a few times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sopas SurpriseMayfootDined on 3/30/2014My friend and I dined early one Sunday evening. We know the Cafe is famous for it's grilled meats and seafood, but both of us did not want a heavy meal. We went anyway because we love the Margaritas. To our oh so pleasnt surprise, the kitchen was offering s Sunday soup special. We each ordered an empanada and a bowl of chicken soup. Both were to die for. There was so much soup, we each asked for a doggie bag. And yes, the Margaritas were wonderful. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best empanadas in ChicagoyummyVIPDined on 2/19/2014Their weeknight special of two meals with wine for $20 is perfect for a date on a budget. Delicious food, great service!Special Features:
- Nice spot to go and enjoySaverjcDined on 2/15/2014Nice spot to go and enjoy great food and relaxing music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceTM1223Dined on 1/18/2014Hi, It's good for kids in the day time. It is a music place at night. The food is great. Parking is not a problem.
- This is my favorite ColombianyummyVIPDined on 4/7/2013This is my favorite Colombian restaurant. This particular experience was not the best. They didn't get our order right. It took too long to get our food and they didn't refill our water as often as we were used to. I don't recommend going around dinner time. This seems to be their most busy time. I recommend lunch time around 2pm or early dinner 5 pm.Special Features:
- A New FavoriteKatapultDined on 3/2/2013We went to Sabor A Cafe with a reservation around 9pm on a Saturday night. They were packed and a fantastic band was playing. The atmosphere was friendly and alive with people dancing to the music, celebrating birthdays with their families, dates, etc. Everyone had a smile on their face. The food was amazing. It is an honest-to-goodness authentic Colombian restaurant. We ordered empanadas (1 pollo and 1 carnes) for appetizers. For dinner, I had the fried fish which was light and had wonderful flavor, and my husband had a pork dish that he really enjoyed. Their chimichurri was unbelievable and I put it on everything that I ordered. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great food! We ordered theyummyVIPDined on 3/1/2013Great food! We ordered the Parrillada, a combination of grilled steak, shrimp, chicken, and chorizo. Though we eat here frequently, this is the best dish we've ever had at Sabor. Our table placement, however, was a tad unfortunate, as we had to sit right next to the stage where live music was being performed. In addition, the high volume of patrons was not offset by the amount of staff on hand, and service was a bit slower than we would have liked. Overall, the food was still outstanding, and we'll certainly be returning soon!Special Features:
- Authentic Columbian food,Looking4aGemDined on 1/18/2013Authentic Columbian food, great music on the weekends. Not the highest quality meats, chicken is a better choice.Special Features:
- Not somewhere I would go again.DonnaVIPDined on 6/16/2012Not somewhere I would go again. The service started out okay, but because there were more people... it lacked so much more. They literally FORGET about you. And the food was fatty, lacked tasted and not enough.
- Good choice but room to improveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/26/2012We went here to try something new and based on many positive reviews. The food was good, some items were very good - like the empanadas - but overall, not great and I was a bit disappointed since I had such high hopes. I likely will try somewhere else next time I'm looking South American food.
- Great Steaks for the price.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/13/2012Great Steaks for the price. Its a little small so make a reservation.Special Features:
- Found this place on open table,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/30/2012Found this place on open table, had never heard of it or seen it before so on a whim I decided to jump on it. Upon enteringi noticed a cozy place with a few tables then was lead into another room with a stage and two men singing and playing guitars. True colombian music. We had a table underneath an enclsoure it was romantic and the reserved sign on the table was great. The food choices were amazing the speed was fair the service was a bit lack luster but everyone there helped didn't just have to be your server. Overall id go back and leave room for dessert.Special Features:
- Step outside your comfort zone!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/4/2011We were going to a show in Rogers Park, and Sabor a Cafe was en route. I read numerous recommendations for this restaurant and was intrigued. We loved the taste and quality of the meat entrees. We tried several appetizers and enjoyed them all, especially the chicen empanadas. My wife and I shared a great mojito as well. For those not familiar with South American food, some of the tastes and textures may be unusual. However, everything was well-prepared, which made this trip outside our comfort zone both exciting and delicious. The restaurant was pretty small, and although it was empty and rather quiet when we ate there at 5 p.m., I understand that there is live music later in the evening that really heats the place up.Special Features: