Sable Kitchen & Bar
505 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sable Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sablechicago.com/
- Phone: 3127559704x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 3 pm – 2 am
Saturday, 11 am – 2 am
Sunday, 11 am – 12 midnight
Sunday- Wednesday, 5 pm – 10 pm
Thursday, 5 pm – 11 pm
Friday & Saturday, 5 pm – 12 midnight
Monday – Friday, 6:30 am – 10:30 am
Saturday & Sunday, 8 am – 2 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Heather Terhune
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The modern elegance of our boutique hotel continues throughout our meeting rooms. The Hotel Palomar Chicago offers the ideal space for all kinds of meetings and events, from off-site business meetings to social events to the most memorable of wedding parties. Uniquely stylish, our River North hotel provides 5800 square feet of meeting space in our flexible meeting rooms, accommodating up to 160 seated guests or 300 for a reception. Distinctive catering for our meeting rooms is provided by Heather Terhune of Sable Kitchen & Bar featuring a tailored menu of mouthwatering contemporary
- Entertainment: N/A
- Special Events: Each Wednesday Sable offers a flight of whiskeys that is connected through a common element, i.e. ingredient, style, location, etc, for $25 from 3:00PM - 11:00PM.
A word from Sable Kitchen & Bar
As a gastro-lounge, Sable Kitchen & Bar will do for hand-crafted cocktails, spirits and wine what the gastro-pub has done for beer: pairing seasonally-inspired cuisine with an artfully designed cocktail, spirits and wine program. Sable’s menu fuses traditional cooking techniques with a modern flair that seeks to highlight the harmony between cocktails, spirits, wine and cuisine. The bar menu will focus on snacks, medium sized plates and brick oven flatbreads while the dinner menu combines small, medium and large plates to encourage sampling and sharing. With a commitment to working with independent Midwest farmers and purveyors, the menu will draw inspiration from local and organic ingredients—everything from seasonal produce to free-range meats and sustainable seafood. A sleek and sexy space, Sable is a refreshing update on the glamour of the 1940’s, as old Hollywood charm mingles effortlessly with modern industrial touches and classic Chicago warmth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sable Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
186 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (135)vibrant bar scene (83)hot spot (65)special occasion (62)romantic (42)good for groups (40)neighborhood gem (38)notable wine list (36)late-night find (30)great for brunch (28)great for outdoor dining (26)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great new findKevinDined on 9/14/2014Great food and excellent service are the stand out features of this restaurant. Foodies will love a different experience. I enjoyed the Charcurie board and the deviled eggs will not allow you to get bored with them ever again! Great wine list and bar drinks.Special Features:
- Great service but food was alrightMayurShenaDined on 9/12/2014Our waiter was amazing! Very patient, and checked up on us often! The appetizers were really great, but did not enjoy the main courses at all.Special Features:
- Small bitesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/7/2014Menu small but small bites for the table are served, allowing you to taste many items. Very fresh vegetables with amazing flavors. A unique dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good evening, mixed views on foodbonlomDined on 9/2/2014Great bourbon bar with very helpful bartenders...friendly and knowledgable. Good selection of spirits. Okay seating...would have been better near kitchen or outside. Steak tartar was amazing...better than some we tried in Paris. Bacon jam had very little Brie taste. House made fettuccini was way too salty...overwhelming. Scallops had a lot of heat. Pork belly sliders were very good...best of all we tasted. Half servings were good size for two people sharing. Waitress insisted on rearranging our food choices...not sure why...would have preferred it our way.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Great food and atmosphere but somewhat small portions. The deviled eggs were to die forI would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014Restaurant completely empty yet we were rushed through our meal. Food on table before drinks that were ordered first? We also asked if we could have a drink at the bar first and was told must sit down, still empty when we left. Appetizers and main courses delicious, dessert really bad. Sorbet warm and mushy, chocolate, from night before and no flavor. Waitress had an attitude and never around to properly serve. Will not go back and only a block away from our apartment.
- Sable ReduxJackDined on 8/29/2014Did a brunch here a year ago and it was great. Dinner ( small plates, dessert, drinks ) was excellent. I know restaurants make it on the Bar but $14 a pop seemed a tad high. Other than that I'll be backI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas, minor service issuesBridgetGDined on 8/28/2014Sable is perfect for tapas; the majority of the items are available in half-plates… perfect for sharing lots of choices! We loved the bacon dates (just 2 bites for the half), the bacon jam brie, and the curry. Our favorite plate was the charcuterie – spectacular down to the wee cucumber and edible flower. My husband was in heaven with the whiskey menu – 2 pages for rye whiskeys alone! The downfall was the service for drinks… painfully slow. The only other minor distraction was the overly-friendly floor manager, Josh. I enjoy a quick chat with restaurant staff. But when I look down at my plate more than once please finish your story and make an exit… I want to eat!Special Features:
- WineDownVIPDined on 8/21/2014Food was good, service was very very slow. It started off having to wait 15-20 min just for our waitress to come to our table and greet us. It was down hill from there.Special Features:
- Too Little for Too MuchMichaelCDined on 8/18/2014My boyfriend and I spent $50 on half-orders, per our server's recommendation. I believe we each left there with no more than ten bites of food a piece. This is not an exaggeration. We ended up going elsewhere for more food later in the evening. What we ate tasted pretty good, but the overall experience was terribly unsatisfying. Once our server realized that we were not drinking alcohol and were not ordering anything additional, we became dead last on her list of priorities. From the time we finished our food (I hesitate to call it a meal), it was about 15 minutes before she even bothered to return to our table. This was before 7:00 on a Monday evening. It was not even close to busy.Special Features:
- Fav Spot in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014I lived in Chicago for 3 years and every time I am back in town for work I make sure to do Sable for brunch or dinner! Always amazing all around!Special Features:
- Always AmazingDiddyDined on 8/16/2014A wonderful Saturday night at Sable Kitchen. Every dish is better than the last. Some favorites are the Pea Shoot Salad, Deviled Eggs and the lamb. I would bring out of towners and feel confident that a great time would be had. The noise level is a bit loud but the food makes up for it!Special Features:
- Food was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Loved the concept and the food. Chicken and waffles were to die for. Cheese curds were also amazing. The war of the roses was the best cocktail we found in Chicago. Highly recommend for a fun night out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AgainRichDined on 8/15/2014Went last October for the drink menu, but also the food based on Heather Terhune's reputation and returned again with friends last Friday to treat them. No disappointment since the last time. We love this place. Not too cozy for a romantic date as there is really no booth seating, and what there is is right in front of the open kitchen service counter, but it is a fun place to go. The restaurant or outside to enjoy drinks and dinner, and more toward the front the bar for drinks if you are looking for an upbeat spot. Would imagine it would be great for lunch and cocktails anytime.....or just the cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little DisappointingWendyDined on 8/14/2014Nice service and atmosphere. Small, small plates so order 4 or 5 minimum between 2 people. I left ready to find dessert elsewhere.Special Features:
- great for tapas great for cocktailsnateinsnDined on 8/10/2014Loved the food and the bourbon cocktail I had was great. We sat outside. I wish the ambiance outside matched that of inside. Other than that... Go here for a fantastic dining experience. Each unique taste and texture left me wanting more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014Order the deviled eggs. They are amazing. Great cocktail list, great service. Dishes to share so you can try a lot of different things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small portionsSalukiRDDined on 8/8/2014You don't get much bang for your buck as far as serving size. Everything is very small, hence very overpriced. It was good, you just don't get much of it
- Made My Boyfriend's Birthday Greatnodaybuttoday08Dined on 8/6/2014We had a wonderful time at Sable for my boyfriend's 30th birthday dinner. We've been to Sable many times, and it never disappoints. While we miss the perogies that used to be our favorites on the menu, the food was nonetheless solid. The cocktail menu is still one of the best in the city. And the service is superb without being stuffy. Our server brought us a complimentary mushroom special and invited the chef to our table. All in all, it was a great experience- definitely come for your special occasions. And order a cocktail. :)Special Features:
- Not for large groupsToyaDined on 8/6/2014I had a difficult time with getting receiving seating for a group of 7. The hostess did not appear to be interested in assisting and told me it was impossible. However, when a male member of my party asked, the manager was able to seat us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Annoyed by WaitermmartyDined on 8/3/2014I'm used to going to places with nice cocktails that cost a pretty penny - both my brothers are mixologists in Chicago. So I've been tasting cocktails for years. I always like to try new things, though, so when I arrived I ordered a cocktail that sounded nice..and was. For the second I asked our waiter if he had any suggestions based on my first cocktail. He asked me what I liked. I told him vodka, brandy, cognac... He asked me if I liked fruity drinks. I said no. Then he shook his head, looked at me with a disgusting wide eyed gaze and said, 'Well what DO you like then?!' I was shocked. Surely someone working at a 'fancy cocktail place' knows his menu and can recommend a drink based on a few liquor choices. Apparently not. Disappointing.Special Features:
- Great FOOD and Awesome ServiceJJinDCVIPDined on 8/1/2014A late night meal of small plates was a great way to end a romantic evening.Special Features:
- Special nightChatty24Dined on 8/1/2014Made reservations for my boyfriends birthday. He is a top chef watcher and loves new foods. The atmosphere was amazing. Chef Heather brought him his birthday dessert and made the end of the night perfect. I would highly recommend this to everyone. The food was fantastic as well as the cocktails.Special Features:
- Great place for drinkersfoodiedcDined on 8/1/2014The menu was nice in that you could order half portions of items and share it tapas style. I was not happy with the waiter who kept insisting I try a signature cocktail when I wasn't thrilled with any of the choices. The one he came back with, which was supposed to be a mystery concoction by the bartender, was a signature cocktail that was just ok. The food was good, especially the sweet corn creme brûlée. However, I was turned off by the waiter's insistence that the bartenders can go off menu but in my case they didn't. If you like unique cocktails, then this is the place for you.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Our dinner was only fine. Nothing outstanding, nothing horrible... Just meh.
- It was finesimplecriticDined on 7/31/2014Nothing special. Food was pretty good but not spectacular. Not a place for romance, loud, cold & cold.
- may not be typicaljerryDined on 7/26/2014We were there at 1:30 on a Saturday and the place was basically empty. For some reason this meant that our food appeared so quickly that it came before our drinks. So that's not good. On Saturday (and Sunday) it is just a brunch menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully unique dinner items!ChrisandNickrraDined on 7/25/2014Definitely will come back again...exquisite dinner menu! Portions are small, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in taste. The Corn Creme Brulee is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunCBNJDined on 7/25/2014Ate here with my daughter on 7/25. Everything on the menu can be had in small or large plates. We ordered a series of small plates -- and they are small -- but each one was a delicious surprise. They came out serially, so it was one little gem of a dish after another. We loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Sable!BwaughDined on 7/24/2014Had a great time at sable. This is a great place to enjoy small plates with friends. The food and cocktails were unique. Our server wrote down his favorite spots for is and they were all great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great serviceCapucineDined on 7/21/2014This was my fourth visit to Sable. We sat outside on the East side of the restaurant where we could enjoy the weather and planted beds in a quiet environment. Had one of their specials, the fresh corn flatbread which was so delicious we could have dined on just that. Several small plates followed, all delicious. A minor criticism was that we didn't enjoy the bean mixture that came with the perfectly cooked scallops. Both of our cocktails were interesting and also delicious. The dessert menu was tantalizing, but we were too full to even try one. Next time!Special Features:
- Good Food, Interesting ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/21/2014This was not my first time at Sable, so I was expecting good food with interesting twists on traditional fare. This was the first time that I had less than stellar service. Our server seemed to hover over our decisions a little too long and quickly rattled through options. It may have just been a matter of style, but it ended up making the evening different from previous visits.Special Features:
- Culinary geniusMrsSJCrovoDined on 7/21/2014We were from out-of-town and it was great to experience the latest in food trends. The waiter was very professional and took the time to explain the concept plus how to make our meal enjoyable. Luckily a cool summer evening in Chicago made sitting outside a pleasure which added to the success of the evening overall. The food was outrageously delicious and the cocktails were refreshing. Definitely a hot spot in town - wish we had one in Florida to enjoy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitThebossDined on 7/19/2014Great service complements an interesting menu and lively cocktail selection.Special Features:
- Worth a goOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/18/2014Service was great, food was better. Don't pass up the Short rib slider!Special Features:
- Sable KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014The food was excellent but the server was not very attentive.Special Features:
- Great Food and experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2014Sever was knowledge and attentive. Craft cocktails were amazing. Home made pasta (fettuccini carbonara) was al dente and crazy good. It is kind of hard to go wrong here. Order small plates and shareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedSabesDined on 7/15/2014The food just wasn't good. We ordered eight dishes - I could not recommend one. Our server was not as polished as a restaurant of this stature should be. The whole experience was a great disappointment.
- 2nd time not as great as 1stLesleyDined on 7/14/2014I really like Sable but this time the service was not as great as the first time. Appetizers came out really fast, almost rushed, then long wait for entrees. I had the curry which was too spicy, but everyone else at the table was happy with their choices. Desserts very good then too long of a wait to get the bill from the waitress who did not appear. Definitely still really like this place and will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Treat for TexansEatingOutDined on 7/11/2014Sable Kitchen was recommended by a foodie friend. We enjoyed our dinner with friends visiting from Houston. Our server recommended that we share and choose from the menu over the course of the evening - worked out perfectly! Food and cocktails were excellent and attractively presented! Relaxed pace allowed us to have a good visit with our friends. Service was attentive and our needs were anticipated. Clean, modern attractive dining room in a convenient downtown location.Special Features: