Sable Kitchen & Bar
505 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Sable Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://sablechicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 755-9704
- Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday 3 pm – 2 am
Saturday, 11 am – 2 am
Sunday, 11 am – 12 midnight
Sunday- Wednesday, 5 pm – 10 pm
Thursday, 5 pm – 11 pm
Friday & Saturday, 5 pm – 12 midnight
Monday – Friday, 6:30 am – 10:30 am
Saturday & Sunday, 8 am – 2 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Heather Terhune
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The modern elegance of our boutique hotel continues throughout our meeting rooms. The Hotel Palomar Chicago offers the ideal space for all kinds of meetings and events, from off-site business meetings to social events to the most memorable of wedding parties. Uniquely stylish, our River North hotel provides 5800 square feet of meeting space in our flexible meeting rooms, accommodating up to 160 seated guests or 300 for a reception. Distinctive catering for our meeting rooms is provided by Heather Terhune of Sable Kitchen & Bar featuring a tailored menu of mouthwatering contemporary
- Entertainment: N/A
- Special Events: Each Wednesday Sable offers a flight of whiskeys that is connected through a common element, i.e. ingredient, style, location, etc, for $25 from 3:00PM - 11:00PM.
A word from Sable Kitchen & Bar
As a gastro-lounge, Sable Kitchen & Bar will do for hand-crafted cocktails, spirits and wine what the gastro-pub has done for beer: pairing seasonally-inspired cuisine with an artfully designed cocktail, spirits and wine program. Sable’s menu fuses traditional cooking techniques with a modern flair that seeks to highlight the harmony between cocktails, spirits, wine and cuisine. The bar menu will focus on snacks, medium sized plates and brick oven flatbreads while the dinner menu combines small, medium and large plates to encourage sampling and sharing. With a commitment to working with independent Midwest farmers and purveyors, the menu will draw inspiration from local and organic ingredients—everything from seasonal produce to free-range meats and sustainable seafood. A sleek and sexy space, Sable is a refreshing update on the glamour of the 1940’s, as old Hollywood charm mingles effortlessly with modern industrial touches and classic Chicago warmth.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sable Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (110)vibrant bar scene (78)hot spot (61)special occasion (41)good for groups (38)neighborhood gem (35)romantic (27)notable wine list (23)late-night find (18)great for brunch (15)great for outdoor dining (15)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Imaginative, rich foodOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/23/2014Our first time here - it was a convenient short walk from a nearby hotel where we were attending a professional meeting. We made a meal of the 'small plates' and a flatbread, so can't comment on any of the entrees. Our selections were tasty and imaginative. The one mild disappointment is that it is hard to find low-calorie offerings on this menu. The kale salad we chose (upon enthusiastic recommendation by our server) was smothered in giant fried croutons, topped with a mound of a gelatinous cheese (?) and full of chunks of bacon. Bacon is heavily featured in many of the dishes (or pork belly, etc.). Service was professional, although our server used the word "awesome" perhaps a bit too much. Overall, this is worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If they seat you by the kitchen, ask to move.nicknameDined on 11/18/2014This was my second time at Sable. Only had drinks my first time but they were really good. So I thought I'd go back with a date for dinner/drinks. They sat us by the kitchen, and I should have had them move us because it was too loud and there were constantly servers walking by. Disappointed with the food, and the drinks were not as good as my first visit to Sable. I'll likely give the restaurant one more chance b/c it has potential, but if I have a similar visit, I doubt I would return.Special Features:
- The food was delicious.TastyVIPDined on 11/17/2014The food was imaginative, yet traditional. The flavors were out of this world. Combine that with tasty wine and cocktails you have a gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not at all like it was wasneilsalkindVIPDined on 11/14/2014It pains me to write this, but our dinner on a Friday evening was very disappointing. It pains me because the chef has done wonderful things in the the past which we often enjoyed. This is our first time back since the new menu and the ideas are there but the execution kind of stunk. The starters were OK but the Crispy Chicken Thighs with Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts just was not done well at all. The chicken was overcooked and tough (and one of us question if both peices were indeed thighs) and the sprouts were so hard to almost be inedible. I suspect the purveyor provided a lousy batch. The waitress asked us how things were and we told her not so good, and her response was a sort of meh - nothing at all done. On leaving, the host asked us how things were and I told him very clearly as I wrote above. He apologized and quickly moved on. Nothing done or attempted. This is all a shame since Heather's cooking (the chef) has been fabulous. I just hope it was an off night on someone’s part and that things will return to normal. We'll wait quite a while until we go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014Great cocktail list and vibe in the bar was high energy. All workers were very unassuming and helpful - seemed to really enjoy their jobs. The restaurant in the back had no vibe and very low energy. Food was just ok. Chicken thighs were dry with the glaze over cooked. Trout dip was good but the pumpernickel toast points overpowered the taste of the dip. Root beer sliders were done very well. Creme brûlée corn was moussy and delicious.Special Features:
- great ambience, good foodBobbyDined on 11/13/2014This is a nice spot. Easy to get to from the Red Line, and good food and great drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Very creative food but don't plan on having a conversation with your dinner partners. Very loudSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperRAM1VIPDined on 11/3/2014The food is fabulous. The menu is diverse & interesting. One can order small plates to share or single serving entrees. I dine out frequently, well very frequently, and I always return to Sable. The food just doesn't get any better, quality ingredients, perfectly prepared....shrimp curry....mushroom burgers....flat breads.....google the menu. The bar scene is vibrant. fun, comfortable; I come for the FOOD.Special Features:
- Amazing service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Sable. Josh who was the manager that night was fantastic. Our server Roger brought is a congrats note from the staff And comped champagne. And the food was incredible! We had the trout and horseradish dip on pumpernickel crackers, which was a new item and was delicous. I had the pork belly and my husband had the grilled octopus, which he declared one of the best meals he has ever eaten. The chocolate cake with salted caramel ice cream and the butterscotch pot de creme capped off the delicious meals. We will absolutely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is not goodchicagonewbyDined on 11/1/2014The cocktails may be good at this place, but the food is not. I had the pork belly with "garlic fried rice." Somehow, the pork belly was completely dried out and there was nothing either fried or garlicky about the rice. It was seriously a pile of steamed rice (still stuck together) with a well-done egg on top of it. Two of my dinner companions ordered the shrimp curry which they described as just bad (mostly flavorless). The appetizers were fine, but nothing special. It is cooked food and that's about all there is to say about it. We did not bother trying dessert.
- What a treat!GastrographicDined on 11/1/2014Referred by a friend and glad we took her advice. Turkey confit poutine and deviled eggs were divine starters; generous portions and great flavors. Chicken and waffles were good with the chicken super crisp outside, juicy and perfectly cooked inside and not a drop of grease. Seared scallops had just the right caramelization and a wonderful sauce with a super flavorful, slightly exotic tomato & raisin chutney, plus a nice kick of spicy heat from curry oil. Interior is nicely decorated, spacious and comfortable. Our server was personable, present and very helpful with menu descriptions. The manager stopped by for a chat and even gave us tips on getting around the city during our visit. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Hip Hotel Bar & Casual DiningJannVIPDined on 10/30/2014Devilled eggs were good but too cold, they seened to have come directly from the refrigerator. Sliders were excellent and smoked pumpkin flatbread was interesting combination. Dessert looked good but lacked flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deliciousfoodie4funDined on 10/30/2014The food was absolutely delicious. My boyfriend got the adobo pork belly and said "its heaven in my mouth". The wait staff was attentive and the food came out quickly. The only downside is it is a somewhat cramped area so there was a lot of foot traffic from the wait staff going to and from tables where we were sat. Overall it was a deliciously pleasant experience.Special Features:
- My new River North favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/30/2014It was my first visit and Sable really impressed! They have amazing cocktails; try one of the Spanish G&T's, or their Old Fashioned, which is my new favorite place for them. The food was also great and the service perfect - attentive and friendly but not too much - I'll definitely be back. I was meeting an old friend and we were able to talk as the noise level wasn't OTT - so it's a great for catching up with friends or going on a date. We shared a couple of the appetizers (Deviled Eggs and the Burratta) and both were delicious. I had the shrimp curry for my entree and it was very nice with a good level of heat and spice.Special Features:
- Great Food and CocktailsAlihillDined on 10/30/2014The food and drinks were fabulous! Our server made really nice recommendations and we enjoyed everything we ordered. I love how the menu changes with the seasons so no experience is like the other. Our only complaint was the hostess who was rather rude about is being late to our reservation. There was no one in the restaurant at that point because it was 5:00 on a Thursday so it was easy to sit us anywhere. She could have been more helpful instead of scolding us for being 15 min late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Nightkg123Dined on 10/28/2014Perfect neighborhood gem and great service! We wanted to try a fall inspired drink that wasn't on the menu, so the bartender whipped up the perfect drink- pumpkin spice that wasn't too sweet and a hint of smokey flavor. LOVE! Not to mention the sliders and pork belly pizza were to die for!Special Features:
- Chefs TableCyndiVIPDined on 10/25/2014Innovated cocktail list. Very attentive staff. Sharing a must. Deviled eggs were wonderful as well as the scallops, turkey poutine and squash Flatbread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so disappointedlfmp48VIPDined on 10/25/2014We showed up for our dinner and felt lucky to get a reservation as they were hard to come by. The pace and noise were so frenetic we elected not to stay for the entire meal; we ordered wine and felt so pressured by the server to put our order in we expected that that pace our dinner would have been rushed and we would be shuffled outa there. We could barely hear each other and felt this was not a place to enjoy dinner, but to get through it.
- Consistently fantasticmomcatDined on 10/25/2014Service was amazing, food creatively prepared - fresh and flavorful. The slightly pared down menu (from prior visits) was exactly right. Full bar menu is huge - from traditional favorites to new, artisan explorations. Don't turn up your nose because it is a "hotel restaurant" - Sable is much, much more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for everyoneclosetfoodieDined on 10/24/2014This is a great place for a date or a night out with a group of friends. The menu is eclectic ... from cheese curds to deviled eggs (you must try these) to chicken & waffles and flatbreads, there's something everyone and you can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for small bitesFoodexplorerDined on 10/21/2014Would love to see more expansion of the menu. The menu on website should be updated. For dinner, many options were not on the menu that I expected, such as the salads. Deviled eggs were great. Chicken and waffles - amazing. Flatbread was nothing out of the ordinary. All in all a good spot for casual small bites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurenGDined on 10/16/2014We sat in the back room so it was quieter but not as good of ambiance. Our waitress was just okay. The food was great. The bacon jam was excellent, the sliders were good, the shrimp curry was amazing. The butternut squash flatbread wasn't very good and wouldn't order again, too smokey.Special Features:
- great servicemaliaDined on 10/14/2014The menu and cocktail list are a little overwhelming but it shirt Audrey was so helpful. She asked us a few questions, made suggestions, paced out out our courses so we weren't overwhelmed. She made the experience incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014Read some great reviews and their website is well done. We were underwhelmed. Wouldn't make the choice to return. One of the guests in my party shared with the Manager that the mac and cheese was so salty that they couldn't eat it and he shrugged his shoulders and said, yeah, it's off the menu in 2 days. Sub standard customer service.
- Great foodSteveUKDined on 10/12/2014Food was great and very peculiar. Service a bit slow but nothing major. Love the idea of small sharing plates
- TerrificDebbVIPDined on 10/8/2014I went based on a recommendation and loved Sable. Our group ordered a bunch of dishes and shared in order to try a variety. Everything was delicious and we look forward to returning. By the way, the bartender is amazing!Special Features:
- Gluten Freedom, Gastronome DelightKlimtDined on 10/7/2014Incredible food, preparation, creations matched by knowledge of waitrons. A new friend and I in search of a leisurely, sublime meal with plenty of time for conversation. She required a gluten free meal and we were appreciative of Sable's sensitivity and preparation of delicious dishes. Figs, lamb, smoked trout--all innovative preparation, ingredients, and impeccable service. great cocktails! Our only annoyance was that we were seated in a small back section, which should have been great for the quiet and privacy of our conversation. But, a group of about a dozen occupied half of the room, having too good of a time and loud talking. Luckily, they left after about 15 minutes and our evening together got off to a simply smashing beginning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentsCanadianCommentsDined on 10/5/2014We chose this restaurant because of a high rating online, but were greatly disappointed. The entrance is away from the maitre d' making an awkward walk into the restaurant. The resturant boasts of inventive and excellent cocktails, although the ones we ordered were very bitter with absolutely no presentation. The menu was encouraging, although boring, and the food for the most part came out cold. Our server didn't know what was on the plates, but at least did go ask. Service started okay, but we were obviously near a table that was spending more money and received most of the areas attention, leaving us without food and dirty plates for at least 20 minutes while two tables away they had at least three staff. I would not recommend.
- fun flavorable findFoodForThoughtDined on 10/4/2014creative cocktail menu to start you off. Followed up by fabulous flatbread pizzas and dishes that evoke the best of Barcelona, Italy and Asia. Not to be missed if you are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyhhwooDined on 10/4/2014Enjoyed anniversary dinner at Sable this weekend and loved the ambiance and food. Really appreciated the 1/2 and full portion options as it allowed us to try and share more menu offerings. Would easily recommend to friends and also stop back in next time we are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulUrbanfoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014Always have a wonderful experience at Sable. Great food and service. My go to place to take friends from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/1/2014We went for my husband's birthday, and I was very impressed! The food was delicious; the service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/28/2014Food has always been consistently excellent. Serving staff is very knowledgable and helpful in selecting appropriate Menue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014favorite to share with customers, great social foodie placeSpecial Features:
- Best meal I've eaten.brooownVIPDined on 9/28/2014Every place we ordered (and we ordered lots) was absolutely perfect. The deviled eggs were so good we had to get a second order. The chicken and waffles were the best we had ever had. And you have to get the strawberry rhubarb hand pie - mainly because the cream cheese ice cream is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sable Kitchen & Bar .. A+CarlosDined on 9/27/2014Visited this restaurant with my fiancée on a Saturday night. The ambiance was great, our server was very helpful and the food was out of this world. Definitely go for the half size plates. They are great to share and allow you to try so many things on the menu. Their Bacon Jam is phenomenal. Easily one of the best things I've ever eaten. The cocktail menu was expansive and the drinks we ordered were amazing. Sable is good for a romantic night out or a group dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Food Great, Restaurant MehSharonainWBDined on 9/27/2014We went here for a brunch on a Saturday. I really enjoyed their small/large plate menu style. We ordered three small plates (lobster roll, pork belly & egg sandwich, and a caramelized banana & apple waffle), along with a side of hash browns. Everything was delicious The waffle dish- WOW. I wouldn't say it's the best food we've ever had, but it was certainly a treat. As for the staff, our waitress was informative, attentive & gracious. The establishment itself -there was a baby shower party in the main dining area, so we were in a hall area of tables sitting by a window. The high ceilings made for considerable noise, it was chilly (glad we had some sun from the window), and overall not that great. Nice place, but not my favorite eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect little plates!MSBBQVIPDined on 9/23/2014What a wonderful way to eat. Small plates that make your mouth smile! Fabulous service and fabulous food. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKittyDined on 9/21/2014Best Poutine ever! Everything is good and not commonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty & unique menu itemsKKWNYDined on 9/21/2014Great food. The chicken & waffles are to die for. We sat near the kitchen, and it seems everyone orders them. Big portions for the price. DELICIOUS. We had service issue, and manager comp'd one dish for us. Well done. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.